Swansea Nightlife!

derekhore
31st December 2007, 09:31
I recently visited Swansea (not through choice!!) and wandered round the shopping complex with fond memories of runs ashore there years ago.

Anyone else remember the "3 Lamps" and the "Townsman", places we always seemed to end up.....and then off to collect fish & chips from a café owned by some young lady called Bonnie Tyler!!

Always remember being there one night on the Br Unity for the 2nd mates birthday...Dick Cridland... and a female band called the "Paper Dolls" were performing. [=P]
We managed to persuade them to come back for a drink in the bar, and although they brought their 'minders' with them, I fondly remember them doing a harmonious version of "Happy Birthday" for the 2/0 before they were whisked off to their hotel!

graham
31st December 2007, 16:41
as a swansea man for 71 year ex mn 30 years loading and unloading tanker at the queens dock its my choice after going round the world its still my first choice regards graham

John Rogers
31st December 2007, 17:39
A lot of talent has come out of the Swansea area (Vale of Neath) to name a few there is, Zeta Jones,Charlette Church, Anthony Hopkins,Richard Burton,Tommy Farr,Ray Milland, a new woman singer named Jenkins,and a few more I have forgot, not to mention myself of course. Not bad for a little country.
John.
Not a singer or an actor, just a plain old John.

Trader
31st December 2007, 17:44
The only thing that I remember of Swansea is a pub called "The Cuba".

Trader.

tillo
31st December 2007, 18:32
Joneses? (Tom & Zeta) Hopkins? Farr? Milland? John Rogers?...soon Bug---d off across the pond did they not?...
Sorry John...Couldn't resist that one...but your right about the 'Valleys' there's some talent out there, past and present,as for that 'Jenkins' girl...Haven with legs..'Church' could have been like her if only she'd been dedicated...
Live long...
Tillo

Tony Breach
31st December 2007, 20:04
Tonight is Anthony Hopkins 70th birthday & he is having a party at the fabulous orangery at Margam Abbey just a few miles from where I am sitting.
I know that Bassey, Zeta Jones & a host of other personalities will be attending & wish them all a fantastic celebration.

The Cuba was mentioned; that was one hell of a pub for sailors. Also liked the Coliseum in Wind Street & the Vale of Neath at Port Tennant. All sadly gone although Wind Street is the in place for boozing in South Wales these days - all the banks have been turned into bars & probably have more cash in them than a bank at the end of their trading day.

If anyone in or close to Swansea is interested there is a good active branch of the World Ship Society which meets at the Maritime Quarter & The South Wales Company of Mariners which meets monthly at the bar of The Bristol Channel Yacht Club. WSS programme can be found on
www.wss-swansea.org This will lead to some other good sites - especially for Tuggies. For more information contact me directly.

And no, I'm not even Welsh: I came over from Weston on the paddle steamer & stayed.

Tony

graham
31st December 2007, 21:15
Tony lived in a house between the mile end inn and the vale of neath had my first taste a beer ve night 8 years of age passed out of the window by my granfather those were the days regards graham

ruud
1st January 2008, 09:11
Ahoy,
As a regular visitor of Swansea,I liked it very much,very nice people,but never went to all the pubs,as there were a lot of them,only one I can remember,was a pub with a lot of rugby fans and was close to the jetty,but unfortunately no names.

Tony Breach
1st January 2008, 09:40
Swansea Fact: The "Zeta" in Zeta Jones comes from a ship. A barque of 558 tons built in 1865 & owned by H.Bath & Sons of Swansea. Apparently one of Catharine's forebears saw the ship, liked the name & for some reason it ended up as a family trademark - or so the story goes.

Tony

trotterdotpom
1st January 2008, 10:57
In the late '60s there was a pub near the coal berths called the "Cape Horn" - I think. Had a few good nights in there.

John T.

Tony Breach
1st January 2008, 11:20
Hi John,

That would be the Cape Horner - still there but a bit run down.

Tony

trotterdotpom
1st January 2008, 12:02
Thanks Tony - same as me then!

John T.

twogrumpy
1st January 2008, 15:01
Was there a "Chain Works Social Club" just off the end of the jetty??

Its all a long time ago, but I seem to recall a Bucaneer Bar attached to the Dolphin Hotel, please confirm.....

twogrumpy.

price
1st January 2008, 16:30
In the sixties, on the occasional run ashore in Swansea, we would often finish up at the 'Bush' for a slap up meal, then on to Jimmy Wildes Club. The club was also a good venue after 'shut tap' in the afternoons.
I remember once, with south west storms lashing up the Bristol Channel, and loaded with fuel oil for Limerick, the Capt., Ch/eng. and myself, (Mate), decided no better place to be weatherbound than in Jimmy Wildes,. Just about an hour before first lock that night, the Cook came into the club to tell the Captain that our orders had been changed for Newport, to arrive there on that nights tide, Well you have never seen such a rush.
Bruce.

mpkk
1st January 2008, 16:49
Hi Twogrumpy,
No info regarding the Social Club but can confirm that there was a Buccaneer Bar attached to the Dolphin, used to be called The Castle prior to that if I remember correctly, now long gone - converted into an Electricity Board showroom many moons ago. Most of the old haunts are still going but under different names these days, don't know about the Bush - long time since I went along High Street.
Have you 'Google Earthed' Swansea recently - not a pipeline or shore tank left and Llandarcy Refinery is no more.
Regard
Jon

graham
1st January 2008, 17:07
Cape horner now shut want to put flats there the pub close to the jettys it was baldwin club it would shut when it felt like at the top of the road from the jettys as i told barnsy the queens dock all gone only scrap there now cheeper to refine it abroud now the bush still going strong but jimmy wildes long gone he had a boxing club at the back of the vale of neath pub hit the canvas a lot as a boy there regards graham

price
1st January 2008, 17:24
Hi Graham, Happy New Year. I noted that you worked in the Queens Dock, did you ever work with a former colleague of mine, Jim Dey?. Jim was a fellow Marine Supervisor at the Texaco Refinery Pembroke, he left us to work for BP in Swansea around 1979/80. I don't know if Jim went back to Aberdeen when BP closed, he must surely be retired by now.
Bruce.

graham
1st January 2008, 17:56
Cant remember a dey there was a couple of jims a couple of scots will have to put my thinging cap on regards graham

derekhore
2nd January 2008, 09:44
Have you 'Google Earthed' Swansea recently - not a pipeline or shore tank left and Llandarcy Refinery is no more.
Regard
Jon

A sad site that .. although you can still make out the "magic circles" on the ground where the storage tanks once stood!

It also looks as though the old Trinity House depot has gone too, where all the buoys etc were overhauled & stored. Had a mate who was regularly in there on the "Winston Churchill" and the "Mermaid".

mikeg
2nd January 2008, 11:39
Had some great nights out in Swansea and also joined my first ship there. Can't remember too much, all a bit of a haze now - I blame it on the alcohol and the girls....

Mike

Nigel Wing
2nd January 2008, 20:08
We discharged at Swansea a couple of times with BP, our cargo each time was from Bonny, Nigeria.
I remember the Three Lamps, and later going to the Bush, for a late night meal, where fights often broke out, with lads from other BP tankers in port, especially if the banter between the Geordies and the Jocks got out of hand, it did not effect me too much as I could not understand the lingo anyway, being a first tripper from Cornwall. This was 1964.
Best wishes
Nigel.

graham
3rd January 2008, 20:58
stop press cape horner open agian regards graham

Tony Breach
4th January 2008, 10:29
Swansea Branch WSS meeting tonight at 1900 at The Environment Centre, Pier Street, Maritime Quarter, Swansea. Members Evening & New Year's Buffet. All welcome. (Only 3 minutes walk from the Wind Street drinkeries for those who would wish to extend their evenings pleasure)
Tony

willhastie
4th January 2008, 12:40
went there a few times with bp,what was the name of the drinking hole owned by an ex boxer,the place was the pits, car seats spread about,stank of stale booze,only used it on way back to ships

drynet
4th January 2008, 15:46
Is the Bush still there? and is Swansea not where the Welsh Rarebit came from.
Drynet

graham
4th January 2008, 16:30
the bush still going strong regards graham

trotterdotpom
4th January 2008, 21:03
Is the Bush still there? and is Swansea not where the Welsh Rarebit came from.
Drynet

"Never been kissed"? I heard that was Cardiff?

John T.

mACAROON
4th February 2008, 21:06
Swansea, yep a serious watering hole, the loal girls The Bush, Three Lamps and the Cledwin Mathews club. Plenty of staminer then. We thought Swansea so good, I can recall us going into the Isle of Grain on the Seafarer and the 3/eng Rudi Henderson,myself and the 3/0 McAllister hiring a car from Rochester and driving to Swansea for the the 48hrs adrift -- Its all a blurr after the 1st ten hours but I do recall the 3/eng Rudi buying into the Cledwin Mathews club and giving Cledwin a cheque for £4,000 at 3 am. That was a fair sum of money 1969.
A great place to which we returned many times.
Davies

derekhore
3rd July 2012, 12:12
"The Townsman Club" finally closed its doors in September 2006 after 33 years, after being renamed "The Baron".

Interesting to see Wikipedia states: "In 1976, Tyler was spotted in "The Townsman Club" in Swansea by the songwriting and producing team of Ronnie Scott and Steve Wolfe, who became her managers, songwriters and producers."

JohnBP
3rd July 2012, 15:59
Happy memories, The Bush and The Cape Horner, the nice people.. we blacked out in the locks (Br Freedom) at 3 in the morning.. ended up back on the dock for another 24 hours.. another bonus run ashore.

graham
3rd July 2012, 16:53
photo of cape horner in my gallery johnbp will post the bush soon regards graham

kevjacko
3rd July 2012, 18:47
My Memories of Swansea are all in the 80's and all good, (ceptin the night an AB got thrown through a window in a bar brawl) Now there was a pub next to the station I drank in for a good few trips in and out (The Nelson) and the local Hell's Angels Chapter used to get in there. It was ran by bikers for bikers. At the time I was heavily into the bikes to it was manna from heaven for me. The Landlord was called Crow, him and his missus offered to put the wife up once when the Captain got a bit snooty about girlfriends on board.

All in all great memories of the place, also the Bus mans club, and the Number Ten bar with the stuffed bear in the window. I'm hoping to go back visit later on in the year if the laddie gets to Spar in the National Karate Championships, and I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing the place again.

Kev

george jackson
4th July 2012, 11:44
My Memories of Swansea are all in the 80's and all good, (ceptin the night an AB got thrown through a window in a bar brawl) Now there was a pub next to the station I drank in for a good few trips in and out (The Nelson) and the local Hell's Angels Chapter used to get in there. It was ran by bikers for bikers. At the time I was heavily into the bikes to it was manna from heaven for me. The Landlord was called Crow, him and his missus offered to put the wife up once when the Captain got a bit snooty about girlfriends on board.

All in all great memories of the place, also the Bus mans club, and the Number Ten bar with the stuffed bear in the window. I'm hoping to go back visit later on in the year if the laddie gets to Spar in the National Karate Championships, and I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing the place again.

Kev

I remember the Number 10 in the 50s but I think then that the bear was in the middle of the floor and at closing time everybody poured pints on it, some sort of ritual!

Jacktar1
4th July 2012, 19:52
The good old days, remember the High Street pubs, Shoulder of Mutton, Adam and Eve, The Bush ( dont know if its still open...last heard it catered for "the alternative lifestyle" ! ). The infamous Cuba, back in 1953 I dated Iris the landlords daughter !!!. If I remember as you came out of the docks ther were four pubs, one on each corner.
The Cape Horner.....about five years ago my stepdaughter was the tenant there for about two years, then handed over to a couple of Pakistani's.
The Townsman, later Barons.......I had my first wedding reception there when it was The Embassy in 1955 run at the time by Sid Wignal and his son Derick.
There were also some good old pubs in Wind Street....the Posada and Metrople......not forgetting the Queens further down.

Cheers
Glan.........(R307279)......(Thumb)

JJ FULTON
29th July 2012, 03:24
JJ Fulton

I remember the Cuer and the bush that was over forty years ago when I sailed with BP BTC as it was then known. Regards to all John.

WilliamH
29th July 2012, 06:57
JJ Fulton

I remember the Cuer and the bush that was over forty years ago when I sailed with BP BTC as it was then known. Regards to all John.

John, did you work for Gray McKenzie in the Gulf in the 1970's.