Looking for some pictures

Howard S
31st December 2007, 22:01
Trying to assemble pictures of ships I sailed in, does anyone have pictures of "Donga" and/or "Kabala"? Have also posted a list under Other Companies/Vessels for UASC ships, of which I could only find one of the nine I sailed in.
Best wishes to all for 2008..........

stan mayes
1st January 2008, 18:59
Hello Howard,
Send me your email address - I have KABALA and DONGA.
Did you want IBN KHALDOON 1 or 2?
Regards
Stan

eldersuk
1st January 2008, 19:24
Donga and Kabala, both old ships of mine too.

Derek

Howard S
2nd January 2008, 18:17
Donga and Kabala, both old ships of mine too.

Derek

Thank you Derek - not sure if we knew each other. I was in ED's from 70-74 as Cadet Purser and Writer/Purser, trained with Laurie Edwards and Mike Cooper, before they let me lose on my own, then went on to Palm Line. I am now trying to figure out how I get the two pictures over to the gallery to add to my Favourites. Imagine if we had had all this technology when we were on the Coast!!
Best wishes for the New year!

Howard S
2nd January 2008, 18:26
Hello Howard,
Send me your email address - I have KABALA and DONGA.
Did you want IBN KHALDOON 1 or 2?
Regards
Stan

Thank you Stan, I am sure we must have met in Tilbury when I was Purser and then PCS in Palm Line? I always enjoy your postings so many familiar names. I believe you once referred to Paddy the coastwise 2nd Steward whom I much admired even when he was being miserable!! I spent many weeks in Tilbury usually with Jammy Mathews (C/Engr) and Tony Rowley (C/Off). Somehow we three always seemed to be together. Just got a long Christmas letter from Jammy, he is still living in Wix in his thatched cottage!
As you can see below have Kabala and Donga now from "EldersUK". I was not aware there were two Ibn Khaldoons or maybe I just forgot - (happens more frequently these days!) - the one I was in from July-September 83 was one of the K Class although not sure if she was built on the Clyde or Hyundai. Can you place it in the gallery if you have it. Am surprised there are so few UASC ships in the gallery. Half the Merch ended up working for them and I believe in those days they had about 60 vessels.
Rgds and best wishes for the New year.
Howard

eldersuk
2nd January 2008, 22:59
Thank you Derek - not sure if we knew each other. I was in ED's from 70-74 as Cadet Purser and Writer/Purser, trained with Laurie Edwards and Mike Cooper, before they let me lose on my own, then went on to Palm Line. I am now trying to figure out how I get the two pictures over to the gallery to add to my Favourites. Imagine if we had had all this technology when we were on the Coast!!
Best wishes for the New year!

I sailed with Laurie Edwards (on a 'K' boat I think) but have lost track of him. However, I still see Mike Cooper once a month.
During your time in ED's I was 2/E on the Forcados.
To transfer pics to gallery, try right clicking and 'Save picture as' to your desktop and then post them in the gallery. No doubt someone will come up with a quicker method, there are some smart cookies out there.

Best wishes, Derek

Howard S
3rd January 2008, 03:06
I sailed with Laurie Edwards (on a 'K' boat I think) but have lost track of him. However, I still see Mike Cooper once a month.
During your time in ED's I was 2/E on the Forcados.
To transfer pics to gallery, try right clicking and 'Save picture as' to your desktop and then post them in the gallery. No doubt someone will come up with a quicker method, there are some smart cookies out there.

Best wishes, Derek

Thanks Derek have amazed myself by successfully transferring Donga and Kabala to my favourites. All I need now is the UASC ones and my pictures will be complete. Pls give my regards to Mike Cooper.
Howard

stan mayes
3rd January 2008, 17:42
Hello Howard,
I remember you with Palm Line,was Tommy Atherton your asistant for a while?
And C/Eng Matthews and C/Off Rowley I also knew for many years.You refer to him as Jammy - I think he was John,and I knew of his cottage near Harwich. They were typical of the very nice and sociable crews who sailed Palm ships..
Of the photos,I asked for your email address as I don't know how to post photos to SN..Now Derek has given advice I will attempt it..
Of IBN KHALDOON 1 ,it is possible that many of UASC staff have not heard of her as she was in the Company just a few weeks...
UASC bought a newly built Spanish ship VALLE DE AYALA in February 1974..
Eight of us riggers flew to Bilbao on 14th February and were accomodated with the Officers in a hotel.
The ship had single cabins for the ratings but UASC wanted the accomodation extended for Indian crews plus a crew galley and messroom.
We were employed to work the ship during this conversion.
On 17th we left the hotel,joined ship and bunkered then sailed for Antwerp.
6 riggers on deck and 2 in the engineroom.
As the conversion was unfinished,five Spanish carpenters made the trip also,plus a Belgian cook and a steward.
We arrived at Antwerp on 20th and during next five days we stored ship and secured and lashed cargo as it was loaded..
On 25th the Indian crew joined and we returned home - it was her sailing day.
Her Master was a Scotsman Captain Bassey.
As IBN KHALDOON entered the Persian Gulf her crew galley exploded,a fire ensued and the ship was gutted by fiire - she was abandoned and became a total loss..She was a fine ship..
That was one of many similar jobs we had with UASC.
Regards ,
Stan.

Howard S
6th January 2008, 21:38
Hello Howard,
I remember you with Palm Line,was Tommy Atherton your asistant for a while?
And C/Eng Matthews and C/Off Rowley I also knew for many years.You refer to him as Jammy - I think he was John,and I knew of his cottage near Harwich. They were typical of the very nice and sociable crews who sailed Palm ships..
Of the photos,I asked for your email address as I don't know how to post photos to SN..Now Derek has given advice I will attempt it..
Of IBN KHALDOON 1 ,it is possible that many of UASC staff have not heard of her as she was in the Company just a few weeks...
UASC bought a newly built Spanish ship VALLE DE AYALA in February 1974..
Eight of us riggers flew to Bilbao on 14th February and were accomodated with the Officers in a hotel.
The ship had single cabins for the ratings but UASC wanted the accomodation extended for Indian crews plus a crew galley and messroom.
We were employed to work the ship during this conversion.
On 17th we left the hotel,joined ship and bunkered then sailed for Antwerp.
6 riggers on deck and 2 in the engineroom.
As the conversion was unfinished,five Spanish carpenters made the trip also,plus a Belgian cook and a steward.
We arrived at Antwerp on 20th and during next five days we stored ship and secured and lashed cargo as it was loaded..
On 25th the Indian crew joined and we returned home - it was her sailing day.
Her Master was a Scotsman Captain Bassey.
As IBN KHALDOON entered the Persian Gulf her crew galley exploded,a fire ensued and the ship was gutted by fiire - she was abandoned and became a total loss..She was a fine ship..
That was one of many similar jobs we had with UASC.
Regards ,
Stan.

Hi Stan; I realise this should be under Palm or UASC rather than ED's! Yes I knew Tommy, as I recall he was only on the coast with me. It is John Mathews as you say, but as he was J.A.Mathews his intitials meant he was often called Jammy.
That is an interesting story re the Ibn Khaldoon I, certainly not one I had heard before. But at that time I was in ED's. I am going to attempt to send you a private message (!) so you can forward picture of Ibn Khaldoon 2.
Best regards,
Howard

baileysan
7th January 2008, 20:48
Stan
I was Chief Eng. on that voyage from Bilboa to Antwerp. Myself and Maurice Hennon (Electrician) joined her in Oporto Portugal and sailed with the Spanish Crew foe a while then spent some time in Bilboa while handing over to UASC. I still keep in touch with Capt. Bassi. Unfortunately Maurice died in 2006.
When she burned out in the Gulf I was by then Superintendent and I attended he in Bahrain with the Salvage team eventually ending up with a CTL. A Greek company bought her "as is" and she eventually traded for some further years. I went back to Bilboa later when we took delivery of a further two similar ships IBN MAJID and IBN ZIADOUN.

baileysan
7th January 2008, 20:54
Howard. Tom Bailey here.
I have quite a number of UASC Photos. Let me know which ones you are looking for.
Regret Your name is not familiar (Could be my age) I was with KSC then UASC from late 60's right through to 91. I ended up in Kuwait for 9 years. we obviously will know lots of colleagues.

Howard S
8th January 2008, 15:47
Howard. Tom Bailey here.
I have quite a number of UASC Photos. Let me know which ones you are looking for.
Regret Your name is not familiar (Could be my age) I was with KSC then UASC from late 60's right through to 91. I ended up in Kuwait for 9 years. we obviously will know lots of colleagues.

Tom thanks for the reply - in fact we did meet I was PCS in UASC from 79-84 Out of the nine ships I sailed in I have only been able to locate Ibn Sina; the others were;
Al Wattyah
Addiriyah
Ibn Rushd (twice)
Ibn Al Haitham
Ibn Al Moataz
Al Ahmadiah (after conversion to container ship)
Ibn Khaldoon 2
Al Fujairah

I met some good people in UASC - a few that come to mind Captains; Bob Wilkinson, Bill (?) Clague from the IOM, the younger Tennant, Bill Dodds etc etc. They were happy days but like everone else I saw the writing on the wall, migrated to USA first then the Caribbean and got into the hotel business.
Rgds
Howard

baileysan
8th January 2008, 19:40
Howard
Sods law. I have a picture of Ibn Rushed and Ibns Al Moataz only. However my scanner is down and I believe its going to cheaper to renew. However I will not forget to get them to you some time. Bob Wilkinson, as you say a character, Bill Clague I knew very well retired some time ago. Young Gordon Tennant is Skipper in the North Sea on supply vessel. They were great days not unlike a good quality UK outfit. I was with them right through the transition and it kept me employed, say no more.

stan mayes
20th January 2008, 16:54
Tom,
Quite a surprise to learn you were Chief Engineer in IBN KHALDOON during my time in her.
I was not aware the ship was later salvaged and returned to trading with Greek owners,thankyou for these details..
Of IBN MAJID,you may recall that her Master on her maiden voyage was Captain Bernard Edwards..
I knew Captain Edwards for some years when he was with Palm Line.
Regards - Stan

baileysan
12th February 2008, 20:37
Stan
Yes I knew Bernie Edwards, a excellent shipmaster and if I remember rightly he was a budding novelist. Not sure if he ever had a book published. He did indeed sail on the maiden voyage of Ibn Majid, along with two good friends of mine Peter Porter C/E and Paul Talbot 2/Eng. I looked after those three spanish ships for some time and they were a headache, especially the cargo gear. They were built orignally as pipe/lumber carriers but were used by UASC for general cargo, not the best idea.

stan mayes
12th February 2008, 22:07
Hi Tom,
Thankyou for your reply..
In the short time we were with IBN KHALDOON we also had problems with the cargo gear and hatch covers...
In letters I received from Captain Bernie Edwards in IBN MAJID he also wrote of the same problems..
He has had many books published and I consider all of them as well researched and very informative - all are factual,no fiction..
'Return of the Coffin ships' records the loss of DERBYSHIRE and 300,yes 300 similar ships with the loss of over 1300 lives..
'The Grey Widow-maker' 24 Disasters at sea..
'Death and Donkeys Breakfasts' WW2 Voyages of 24 Welsh seamen..
'They sank the Red Dragon' The loss of 21 Welsh tramps..
'The Merchant Navy Goes to War'
and others..
Regards - Stan.