George Gibson & Co. - RIP

G0SLP
1st January 2008, 00:20
As of 28th December 2007, the last ships owned by George Gibson, Sigas Ettrick/1991 and Sigas Lanrick/1992 were sold on, although at present they won't be renamed.

Another UK shipping company enters the annals of history.

Regards to all, & Happy New Year.

Mark Coultas
Chief Engineer, Sigas Lanrick

cboots
1st January 2008, 02:14
A sad start to a new year.
CBoots

DAR
4th January 2008, 11:59
Hi Mark, You must be ashore with your laptop. Catch up with you soon.
Yes a very sad day indeed. As Senior Master of GG I've been there for 29years 7 months. Really would have liked to finish my 30, but ho hay at least I'm still employed by the new owners. I'm off to the office to appropriate some memoribilia. They owe me that much.

G0SLP
7th January 2008, 21:48
I've already put in my bids, David!

Cheers
Mark

G0SLP
24th February 2008, 15:58
Just to complete the story, at 1530 on 14th February 2008, Sigas Lanrick's Technical Management was passed to EMS (Denmark). She was the last 'Gibson' ship to go, leaving 4 ex-Kosan L-Class ships remaining on the EMS (UK) office books. These were passed to the Denmark Office last week; the Edinburgh Office (formerly George Gibson/gibson Gas Tankers) closes formally on 29/2/08. I've been invited to attend.

Sad days indeed.

ian petrie
8th March 2009, 22:26
i was on the old lanrick in 1965 gibson rankine line aberdeen to lisbon calling at kirkaldy leith dunkirk oporto lexios and lisbon and a run right back to aberdeen

jg grant
9th March 2009, 22:28
Tenakwe Ian. I did about ten months on the Abbotsford 1958/59,same run as you. Good company but no promotion because nobody above me would pay off. Regards Ronnie

George Simpson
6th July 2009, 13:09
While trawling through the posts I game accross this one regarding Gibsons. A good friend of the family was an Engineer with Gibsons for many years sadly he passed away. His name Was James Milne from Aberdeen.

R396040
6th July 2009, 15:16
As of 28th December 2007, the last ships owned by George Gibson, Sigas Ettrick/1991 and Sigas Lanrick/1992 were sold on, although at present they won't be renamed.

Another UK shipping company enters the annals of history.

Regards to all, & Happy New Year.

Mark Coultas
Chief Engineer, Sigas Lanrick

Never sailed with them but recollect the foundering in the North Sea of the Traquair. The ship I was on Gannet (?) of GSNC in mid fifties rescued most of the crew before she sank and took them on to Hamburg,the Master was taken off by Belgian tug. Rough old night...
Stuart H
France

IAN BEATON JACK
17th July 2009, 14:07
Never sailed with them but recollect the foundering in the North Sea of the Traquair. The ship I was on Gannet (?) of GSNC in mid fifties rescued most of the crew before she sank and took them on to Hamburg,the Master was taken off by Belgian tug. Rough old night...
Stuart H
France

joined the traquair 06/09/51, grangemouth, paid off, grangemouth 13/12/51.
master george robertson. running with coal duff and whisky to rotterdam, boy, could that ship roll
I Jack