British Merchant Navy Ships

the clare
26th April 2005, 09:27
Hi... I am trying to find infomation on ships my father was on during WW2.

They were: San Roberto, S.S Daleby, Gaisdale, Penhale, Empire Faun, Wave Emperor, Samvannah, W.W. Longwood I think was one. I know some were sunk, as he survived many sinkings. He recently passed away, but the family would like to find out info on them if we can.
Thanks Helen

flyer682
26th April 2005, 09:52
Welcome aboard, Helen. There's bound to be someone here that can help. Enjoy the site.

Fairfield
26th April 2005, 10:10
Indeed and welcome from me also.As David said definitely someone will be able to unearth something I/m sure,

Paul

ian jackson
26th April 2005, 13:54
Helen
Some info on the Daleby
Daleby (2) 1929 4,640 Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., Newcastle Ex Kitty Taylor, 1934 purchased from Eros Steamships and renamed Daleby, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-89 in North Atlantic. Position given is very rough as 57 degrees North 36 degrees West Approx which puts it in the mid Atlantic. She belonged to a company called Ropners.

the clare
27th April 2005, 10:48
Thanks guys... this is great, will tell the family about it. I do have a photo of the glaisdale and the Samvannah which I found in a Merchant navy web site.
Helen

ray1buck1
4th September 2005, 12:35
Hi Clare, Just found your post a little info on the "San Roberto"
Official No 146632 San Roberto. ss 8,325 dwt. Built by Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth and Co Ltd, Walker-on Tyne. Launched, July 25th 1922, by Lady Waley Cohen. Delivered, September 19th 1922.
During the last War under command of Captain C. Allison, she was employed trading on the east coast of Great Britain and was twice bombed and damaged by German aircraft, May 10th and July 20th 1941. On January 1st 1945, her Gunners shot down a German aircraft in the River Scheldt. For further details of the San Roberto’s war service see Chapter V. from the publication “Eagle Fleet “
On November 15th 1949, she was sold to British Iron and Steel Corp (Salvage) Ltd for breaking up.
My Interest is tofind a little more out about the loss of Herbert Clark Born 11th Sept 1900 a death certificate has been obtained

Died 5th July 1941 4 Hr 10 Mins PM, aged 41, place of death is recorded as on board the “ss San Roberto” The docks, Grangemouth, cause of death Angina Pectoris , informed by Captain Cyril Allison ( intimate friend present at the death ) registered at Grangemouth 7th July 1941 He was buried 9th July 1941 , and buried in Harton cemetery in South Shields, There is a flower vase with the inscription from the personnel of the “San Roberto” age given on memorial as 40, This ties up with my Mothers memory of the event that he had rejoined the ship (although she always said it was in Rosyth ) and died when re-boarding , it was said as a result of the 10th of May attack although he was not physically hurt it was not know if this happened when he rejoined at Immingham or elsewhere or whilst at sea and the Captain put in to Grangemouth, I would have thought that a mention would be in the captains log

There is quite a bit on the web site http://www.eagleoiltankers.co.uk/sanroberto.htm

Which may be of Interest

R736476
26th September 2005, 18:23
Hi Helen,
For your info:
Empire Faun:wartime emergency built coastal tanker of Empire Cadet class. Built 1943 by Goole Shipbuilding. 196ft loa x 31ft. 890tons dwt. Steam triple expansion, 9.5knots.
1951-58 - on loan to Greek Navy as Posseidon.
!961-renamed Sirius.
!962 - purchased by Greek Navy. Was still around in 1972 but don't know when scrapped.
Wave Emperor. Standard fast tanker built in 1944 by Furness Shipbuilding, Haverton Hill. 8196 grt 494x64 x35.5ft. 15 knots, steam turbine. Operated by RFA and took part in Pacific War. Scrapped 1966
Samvannah- Liberty ship built by Southeastern Shipbuilding Corporation in 1943. Laid down as Louis A. Godey and completed as Samvannah for Lease-lend to UK Ministry Of War Transport (MOWT). Don't know who operated Samvannah for MOWT. All Lease -lend Liberty Ships for MOWT had names beginning Sam. 1948 returned to US Government and scrapped in 1961.
Sorry I can't help you with others, but the old salts out there surely can.
Best regards
Alex

R58484956
26th September 2005, 18:46
Hi Helen The merchant navy site will give you details of the sunken ships and where they were sunk www.mowbars.plus.com/

ray1buck1
4th October 2005, 09:53
Name: Daleby
Type: Steam merchant
Tonnage: 4.640 tons
Completed: 1929 - W.G. Armstrong, Whitworth & Co Ltd, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Owner: Sir R. Ropner & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool
Homeport: West Hartlepool
Date of attack: 4 Nov, 1942 Nationality: British

Fate: Sunk by U-89 (Dietrich Lohmann)

Position: 57.24N, 35.54W - Grid AL 1926
- See location on a map -

Complement: 47 (0 dead and 47 survivors).
Convoy: SC-107
Route: Halifax (27 Oct) - London
Cargo: 8500 tons of grain, tanks and motor parts
History: Built as Kitty Taylor, 1934 renamed Daleby
Notes on loss: At 22.35 hours on 4 Nov, 1942, the Daleby (Master John Edward Elsdon) in convoy SC-107 was torpedoed and sunk by U-89 southeast of Cape Farewell. The master, 39 crew members and seven gunners were picked up by the Icelandic steam merchant Brúarfoss and landed at Reykjavik. The men were both in lifeboats and onboard the sinking ship, the rescue thus was difficult and ten crew members and one passenger were commended for it.

sharonblchr@blueyonder.co
23rd November 2005, 11:14
as any one information about merchant navy ships and creww 19471950?? ss talapo the arogoanni sscavena and the new york city?? my dad bill smith served on them any one familiar

John Rogers
23rd November 2005, 15:23
I was on the ships you mentioned and of that same year. PM me for any info I can provide you.
John

tell
7th December 2005, 01:52
I'm trying to find info on ss Dalegarth Force, I believe she was damaged by enemy action In the English channel, I would like to know the extent of the damage and the repairs that followed Tell

ray1buck1
7th December 2005, 08:09
Dalegarth Force, 825grt had been sailing from the Tyne with a cargo of coal for Poole when she came under fire from German shore batteries and was hit by a shell 1 mile South of Dover and set on fire. The ship was taken into Dover, sailing under tow on the 5th August 1944, arriving for repairs on the Tyne three days later. 3 dead.

FITZGIBBONS, Chief Officer, CHARLES, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 28th June 1944. Age 37. Son of Sarah Ann Fitzgibbons, Birkenhead. Buried Dover (St James) Cemetery.

Tower Hill Memorial Panel 34

ELLIS, Mate, WILLIAM, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 22nd March 1942. Age 63. Son of Robert and Jane Ellis; husband of Elizabeth Ellis, of Port Dinorwic, Caernarvonshire.

FRANCIS, Boatswain, WILLIAM LEONARD MURLEY, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 28th June 1944. Age 20. Son of Capt. W. J. Francis and Mrs. J. E. Francis, of Moelfre, Anglesey.

Hugh MacLean
7th December 2005, 10:45
Regarding SS Penhale,

Perman, F.C. London (Chellew Navigation Co. Ltd) Built 1924. grt 4100.

Sorry dont know the fate of this vessel.
She was involved in some of the convoys listed below:

SC19, SC65, OS119/KMS93, OS93/KMS67, OS103/KMS77, HX303, ONS5.

Regards
Hugh

tell
7th December 2005, 18:36
Dalegarth Force, 825grt had been sailing from the Tyne with a cargo of coal for Poole when she came under fire from German shore batteries and was hit by a shell 1 mile South of Dover and set on fire. The ship was taken into Dover, sailing under tow on the 5th August 1944, arriving for repairs on the Tyne three days later. 3 dead.

FITZGIBBONS, Chief Officer, CHARLES, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 28th June 1944. Age 37. Son of Sarah Ann Fitzgibbons, Birkenhead. Buried Dover (St James) Cemetery.

ELLIS, Mate, WILLIAM, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 22nd March 1942. Age 63. Son of Robert and Jane Ellis; husband of Elizabeth Ellis, of Port Dinorwic, Caernarvonshire.

FRANCIS, Boatswain, WILLIAM LEONARD MURLEY, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 28th June 1944. Age 20. Son of Capt. W. J. Francis and Mrs. J. E. Francis, of Moelfre, Anglesey.
Im very grateful for that info, I was in her in later years and her superstructure was much different to the earlier photos I've seen of her thanks a lot Tell

Bruce Carson
7th December 2005, 20:06
Hi:
The 'Samvannah' was operated for the MOWT by the Anchor Line of Glasgow.

Bruce C.

jimmyc
5th January 2006, 01:01
Canadian Pacific Duchess was requisitioned by the British Admiralty
Torpedoed and sunk 10/10/1942
My Father John Cullen was a crew member and survivor
see links below
Duchess of Atholl survivor
John Cullen
http://www.gordonmumford.com/survive7.htm

Trevor Liney
http://www.gordonmumford.com/survive5.htm

Wainui
13th February 2006, 23:42
Thanks guys... this is great, will tell the family about it. I do have a photo of the glaisdale and the Samvannah which I found in a Merchant navy web site.
Helen

Hi Helen,

I sailed on the Glaisdale but do not have a pic of her. Can you please tell me where you found her pic. Thank you.

Steve.

standby
13th March 2006, 16:25
Cheers,

Trying to find information re S.T.Thorland....a tanker owned by SAFMARINE and reistered in Panama. Some time after mid 1968 a tank explosion for'd caused casualties and tremendous damage. Having sailed in the vessel I am interested in finding out her ultimate destination and any other facts.

Any help appreciated,

Regards standby (R345910)

Blade Fisher
10th September 2006, 12:00
I know more than most about this sad ship, but before replying where can I view any previous replies?

Trying to find information re S.T.Thorland....a tanker owned by SAFMARINE and reistered in Panama. Some time after mid 1968 a tank explosion for'd caused casualties and tremendous damage. Having sailed in the vessel I am interested in finding out her ultimate destination and any other facts.

Any help appreciated,

Regards standby (R345910)[/QUOTE]

djw1
20th November 2007, 18:40
Standby/blade

There is an entry for the Thorland explosion in the CTX database,
http://www.c4tx.org/ctx/job/cdb/search.html.
Search on the ship name and then go to precis.
it is bascially a copy of Hooke.
Blade pls check for errors, we could also use cause info, and IMO number.

Keep the faith,

Jack Devanney

fizzypop
5th December 2008, 22:18
Hi
My great grandfather was William Ellis mentioned as one of the casulaties on the Dalegarth Force that came under fire. What interest did you have in this ship, our family story was that William Ellis drowned in Liverpool on the way home from WW2. On his scroll commemorating his life he is named as W Ellis, Chief Officer, merchant Navy. Any info you have would be gratefully received.

ray1buck1
6th December 2008, 06:24
Hello Fizzypop

The only interest that I had with this therad is that member TELL was seeking info on the Delgarth Force
Ray

Mjroots
9th April 2009, 16:03
It's always worth looking on Wikipedia for info:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Empire_ships_-_F#Empire_Faun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFA_Wave_Emperor_(A100)

garethmoelfre
3rd September 2009, 12:01

I have just spotted this message in finding all information about the local men who lost their lives in WW2 at sea.
I myself was born in 1946 and I knew Capt Francis well as we were near neighbours - he lost another son in 1959 of the Bamenda Palm - one son still survives and I see him quite regular.
We recently unveiled a memorial in the village which has all the war lost names. All those lost in WW" were Merchant Navy.

garethmoelfre
3rd September 2009, 12:02
Hi
My great grandfather was William Ellis mentioned as one of the casulaties on the Dalegarth Force that came under fire. What interest did you have in this ship, our family story was that William Ellis drowned in Liverpool on the way home from WW2. On his scroll commemorating his life he is named as W Ellis, Chief Officer, merchant Navy. Any info you have would be gratefully received.

I have just spotted this message in finding all information about the local men who lost their lives in WW2 at sea.
I myself was born in 1946 and I knew Capt Francis well as we were near neighbours - he lost another son in 1959 of the Bamenda Palm - one son still survives and I see him quite regular.
We recently unveiled a memorial in the village which has all the war lost names. All those lost in WW" were Merchant Navy.

garethmoelfre
3rd September 2009, 13:25

I forgot to add that Capt Francis was master of this vessel and that his son was alongside him when he got killed by shrapnel.

garethmoelfre
3rd September 2009, 13:50
Dalegarth Force
I see there are three messages about the above vessel which suffered three fatalities in WW2.
I wish to add on that a near neighbour of ours - now the late Captain W.Francis was Master of the vessel and was alongside his son Leonard - who was killed by shrapnel in the incident.
In May of this year we unveiled names of the war dead on two memorial stones. Allthose for WW2 were Merchant seamen.
The local 'Mafia', sorry Community Council, tried every move to stop us and are still dodging us now - and people died for these!
Captain Francis lost another son at sea in 1959 of the 'Bamenda Palm'.

garethmoelfre
11th September 2009, 22:41
Hi

I have this week met Captain Francis last surviving son and given him a coty of those lost on the Dalegarth Force - he did not know about your great grandfather - Jabas Francis lives in Amlwch, Anglesey and at one time he was also at sea.

Regards
Gareth

LONG
30th April 2013, 17:30
I'm trying to find info on ss Dalegarth Force, I believe she was damaged by enemy action In the English channel, I would like to know the extent of the damage and the repairs that followed Tell

I too am interested in this ship. Although his name does not appear in the above list, my grandfather, A/S Jack Long, was I understand killed in the same attack and is buried in the war cemetery at Dover. His headstone records him as being killed on SS Dalegarth Force on 28 June 1944. It may be that he was not on the ship's company, as other records indicate he belonged to HMS President III, a shore-based establishment which supplied men for DEMS vessels such as Dalegarth Force:

LONG, JACK. P/JX 289929. Able Seaman, Royal Navy. H.M.S. President III. Died: 28/06/1944. Age 38. Son of Walter and Caroline Elizabeth Long. Husband of Elizabeth Long, of Chester-le-Street, Co. Durham. Cemetery: St, James`s, Dover Kent. Ref: Row F. Joint Grave 35.

I notice that the mate, William Ellis, is recorded as dying in 1942. Reports of the shelling in 1944 tell of three men being killed that day.

Hugh MacLean
30th April 2013, 18:08
Hello and welcome,

Yes, you are quite correct. Jack Long DEMS gunner is shown on the Deaths at Sea Register as lost by enemy action on 28/6/1944 from DALEGARTH FORCE.

DEMS gunners, although military personnel, had to sign the Articles of Agreement in the same way as the MN personnel and came under the authority of the master of the ship therefore they were as much apart of the crew as anyone else.

Regards
Hugh

LONG
30th April 2013, 18:22
Many thanks Hugh.

My family know very little about the circumstances of Jack's death so I am grateful for this confirmation.

ben27
1st May 2013, 01:13
good ,morning gareth moelfree.3erd,september,2009,22:50.re:britich merchant seaman.i have been reading this old thread with interest.i just wanted to know the outcome of the local "mafia"and there total disrespect for the people who died for them.my respects to those who did not make home.thank you for posting.stay well.ben27

fizzypop
17th December 2013, 22:24
I have this week met Captain Francis last surviving son and given him a coty of those lost on the Dalegarth Force - he did not know about your great grandfather - Jabas Francis lives in Amlwch, Anglesey and at one time he was also at sea.

Regards
Gareth

Thanks for this reply, have not been on this website for so long, do not get any notification re any replies. Went to Tower Hill Memorial to see my g Grahdfathers name on the Dalegarth Force plaque, still not sure how he died in 1942, how do you find out this info?

Richard1947
13th January 2014, 11:28
I know more than most about this sad ship, but before replying where can I view any previous replies?

Any help appreciated,

Regards standby (R345910)[/QUOTE]

Sailed on her as cadet and left the the ship the trip before she exploded. The Chief Officer and 2 cadets, those who took over from me, were at the tank when she exploded. Tank cleaning in progress. All three killed. The deck folded and crushed the bridge, killing the 3rd officer. The captain had to be freed from his cabin. When ship was abondoned the German electrician helped lower the aft lifeboats but refused to jump into the sea fearing sharks so jumped into the lifeboat breaking both legs in the process. The ship subsequently broke in 2 and the one end sunk, the other I think was towed to port for scrapping.

But for good fortune (relieved one trip early) would have been there at the tank opening.

Knew all the officers/cadets killed as just having sailed with them. Very sad as great guys.