Marama

flyer682
26th April 2005, 11:00
Built 1969 by Robb Caledon Shipbuilders Ltd., Dundee.
4,510grt 429' 9" x 63' 1" x 21' 5"
The second of two sisters (MAHENO being the first), MARAMA was built for the Trans-Tasman service and originally ran on a fortnightly schedule between Auckland, Wellington and Melbourne. These were the first roll-on/roll-off ships on the Tasman and revolutionized the service. Many more followed in their wake.
After a period of lay-up in Auckland in late 1977, she had a stern ramp fitted and for two years serviced the Pacific Islands on a fortnightly service from Auckland, replacing the smaller UNION SOUTH PACIFIC. 1980 saw her back on the Tasman again when she was replaced by ships of the newly formed Pacific Forum Line.
She was sold in early 1985, renamed MARADA and sailed off to the breakers in Kaohsiung arriving there on 23 March 1985.
The photos show her at Dunedin in January 1983, fresh from survey and a brief lay-up. She was relieving the COASTAL TRADER on the Auck-Lytt-Dun-Lytt-Auck run while that ship was on survey.

david smith
26th April 2005, 11:46
Her sister Maheno is now the Santa Emma having traded from Italy and Chile during her life.

flyer682
26th April 2005, 12:24
Aged 36 and still going strong! A good, solid British-built ship.

Fairfield
26th April 2005, 19:27
Saw\them both building but sadly never got photos.

Bill R
27th April 2005, 05:48
Thanks for the photograghs of "Marama"

I had the honour of being her last Master and we laid her up at the Overseas Terminal Wellington On the short hop from the Container Terminal we had as to be expected had a howling Northerly to contend with but she was a great ship to handle with plenty of power to use.

I was also on her as Chief Officer with Alex Sommerville as Master on the Melbourne run.

Bill Ross

flyer682
27th April 2005, 06:25
Welcome aboard, Bill.
You'll also find another couple of photos of MARAMA in The Gallery.

shad
3rd June 2005, 01:38
Hi Bill, I was your ch/stwd doug, what did you rescue,i got the fijian carving off the bar.

gadgee
2nd August 2005, 12:11
Think that one of these ships is in the right of my recent pic post of Pyrmont??

Built 1969 by Robb Caledon Shipbuilders Ltd., Dundee.
4,510grt 429' 9" x 63' 1" x 21' 5"
The second of two sisters (MAHENO being the first), MARAMA was built for the Trans-Tasman service and originally ran on a fortnightly schedule between Auckland, Wellington and Melbourne. These were the first roll-on/roll-off ships on the Tasman and revolutionized the service. Many more followed in their wake.
After a period of lay-up in Auckland in late 1977, she had a stern ramp fitted and for two years serviced the Pacific Islands on a fortnightly service from Auckland, replacing the smaller UNION SOUTH PACIFIC. 1980 saw her back on the Tasman again when she was replaced by ships of the newly formed Pacific Forum Line.
She was sold in early 1985, renamed MARADA and sailed off to the breakers in Kaohsiung arriving there on 23 March 1985.
The photos show her at Dunedin in January 1983, fresh from survey and a brief lay-up. She was relieving the COASTAL TRADER on the Auck-Lytt-Dun-Lytt-Auck run while that ship was on survey.

Roger Wincer
27th December 2006, 19:29
I was Radio Officer on her for one trip Wellington/Melbourne over the Christmas/New Year period 1969. She was quite uncomfortable in a sea if I remember correctly due to frhd accommodation and relatively high speed. Unfortunately cannot remember many of the names of personell, though I think the Purser was Billy Goldsborough. I will have to get out the old discharge certificate and see who the Master was. I may have some photographs too.

sscott
15th April 2007, 13:04
I sailed on Marama as cadet (wild guess- 1979?) when she was on the Pacific Island trade. There is a photo on Shipspotting.com of her in Pago Pago, and the the attached photo of her arriving Auckland.

Nice run, hard working ship!

Stuart

John Clarke
9th September 2007, 08:31
I was there as cadet in 81 sometime, sharing a cabin with Gareth Partington. All I remember was the Seafreighters full of Cadbury Chocolate carried out of Dunedin. They made the twice-daily job of reading the reefer container temperatures less unpopular.

Butters
11th September 2007, 02:56
Yes I must say I enjoyed my times in 'MARAMA', & 'MAHENO' as Apprentice served on both from May 1969 to January 1970 and in 1972 again as Third Mate . For the Xmas , New Year period of 1970 we took over from the 'HAWEA', and did the East Coast service . Master was Ray Stewart & the Mate Roy Gollogilly (who late went to Shipping Corp.) I think Roger Wincer & Billy Goldsbrough were there also. Both these ships could lift you from your bunk a good few inches if they were pitching heavily and were apt to pound heavily if not slowed down .I paid off late January 1970 in Auckland after a month as the solo Apprentice and was sent down to Wellington to join 'WAIKARE' as Uncertified Third Mate - a good crowd there nearly all 'village', lads like myself - Master was Joe Stoddart and Peter Phear Mate, 'Rocky', Lansdown Chief Engineer & Paddy Watson the Second.
Spent 6 months onher and then upgraded to 'KAREPO'.
I wonder if any one remembers when the 'MAHENO', loast I think it was the Port Anchor and all the cable enroute to Sydney from Wellington when the cable compressor failed . ( questions asked and was the anchor buoy attached ) - some hope of finding that !!!

Butters.