New Zealand Maritime Images- The Golden Years

Ngaio 62
4th January 2008, 12:20
by Emmanuel Makarios, Transpress NZ, 2007, 257pp, ISBN 978-1-877418-04-4

The images are large, old, In colour, usually one to a page and each speaks of a time and place sadly gone or changed utterly.
As a boy in his teens I can see the places I used to visit with my english shipspotting mate. Some of the ships I have memories of travelling on from The TEV WAHINE as a four & five year old to the ARAHANGA in my late 20's.

Some might see the lack of an index as a drawback, but on the otherhand this book is a pleasure just to trawl through and after awhile you'll work out what is where.

And the Golden Years, while undefined by numbers on the front cover will become apparent as you journey through the pages.
the volume is foreworded by Wellington Harbour master Captain Michael Pryce and introduced by Emmanuel.

If you have any connection with the history of New Zealand's harbours and ships then you'll want this book.

Martin Cahill

www.transpressnz.com for those of you overseas.

avonbank
5th January 2008, 02:24
Well done Emmanuel, I am sure many SN members will enjoy this book.

John Crossland
11th January 2008, 03:50
Thanks for the "Heads up", Martin.

It appears that Transpress is a small "boutique" publisher, and Whitcoulls, Dymocks etc. won't be stocking the book. They will get it in for you, but at a premium. So do what I did and go direct to the publisher. I phoned them up in the afternoon and the book was delivered by courier the next day.

I have just finished my first skim through, and can say that it is a remarkable collection of photographs. Well done Emmanuel and all the photographers.

Butters
11th January 2008, 05:07
A wonderfull book of recollections , enjoyed every photo . Well done Emmanuel a first class effort again.

Butters

Emmanuel Makarios
11th January 2008, 08:40
Thanks to all for your positive comments and support for this project.
As the book has only been available for less than two weeks it is slowly making its way into some book shops around the country.There will be limited numbers also available in OZ and hopefully UK.
Anyone interested in a copy I would suggest that you contact the publishers www.transpressnz.com or on P.O. Box 10 - 215 Wellington, NZ
Again many thanks
Emmanuel

Ngaio 62
11th January 2008, 10:58
John in all fairness to Dymocks, they had a pile of them in the transport section which was how I realised it had come in. Whitcoulls, well that's diferent, but then they could still surprise us all.

Martin

raybnz
12th January 2008, 08:01
Got mine on order. Just it takes time to get to Huntly in the Waikato

KIWI
14th January 2008, 02:37
Would confirm all the foregoing comments on Emanuel's book & although I have not purchased it yet,have to get Xmas & holiday expenses out of the way,it is my intention to do so.The photography is superb & if you were a kid about the wharves it sure brings back memories. Kiwi

Doxfordman
28th February 2008, 08:07
I have just, today, recieved my copy of The Golden Years, purchased via a Web site direct from the publishers. WOW!, what a walk down memory lane of my time on Kiwi coast during the 70's. A real credit to you Emmanuel - a truely great publication.

Paul J Burke
28th February 2008, 08:31
I was lucky enough to buy this excellent publication at Leslies bookshop in Lyttelton,on a recent visit on Sapphire Princess.It certainly brings back a lot of fond memories of ships i was on.This book is a "must"for every shiplovers library.

spongebob
28th February 2008, 09:03
Sounds like a book worth having, I will check it out on my visit to NZ next week.
I have already got a copy of "Servants of the North" the history of NZ's Northern Steam Ship Co published in 1977 and written by Cliff Furniss a NZ maritime guru.
This book, to me, is a "nostalgia turn on" and it sounds like the "Golden Years' has a similar potential.
Don't forget we have another Kiwi maritime story due for publication in August too.

StewartM
28th February 2008, 11:19
Just noticed this thread today. My Mother is on holiday in Wellington just now. I asked her to get me a copy of Emmanuel's Wahine Book, which she has done. She saw this one as well and asked if I wanted it, so I have already said yes.

Cheers, Stewart.

Mike S
28th February 2008, 12:40
Received mine a few days ago..........wonderful memories and sincere thanks.
A time that will never be repeated.