6th January 2008, 11:38
History Wm Sloan & Co.
William Sloan was introduced into shipping about 1825 by his uncle, Charles Tennant, who owned the St Rollox Chemical Works, Glasgow. A group of businessmen, including John Tennant, son of Charles, and Scott Reynolds of London acquired in 1825 three vessels, LONDON PACKET (I), HOPE and ST ROLLOX to carry away the products of the works, a large proportion of which passed through the Forth and Clyde Canal on their way to Newcastle, Hull and London. Initially William Sloan had no financial interest in them but this changed in March 1831 when GLASGOW PACKET was acquired in which he had a number of shares. Subsequently ships purchased or built were registered in the names of two or more members of the group which traded under the name of the St Rollox Shipping Co. Two further additions were made to the fleet in 1831 with the purchase of the sloops SIBELLA (1806) and LILLY (1807). Some two years later, further three vessels joined the fleet, two new schooners GLENCONNER and JOHN CROSBIE, and one secondhand snow CALEDONIAN (1825). All the vessels (except CALEDONIAN which only remained with the company for less than three years) were able to pass through the locks of the Forth and Clyde Canal.
Other vessels joined the expanding fleet in subsequent years, GRATITUDE (1816), MERCURY (1824) and the newly built schooner THAMES in 1834, the newly built brig JOHN TENNANT and schooner CHRISTINA in 1835, the sloop COUNTESS OF MAR (1833) in 1836, and the newly built schooners LONDON PACKET (II), the first vessel of that name had been lost in 1835 and ORISSA in 1837, which brought the number in the fleet up to 13. However, the company suffered two losses in quick succession, that of the new ORISSA in 1838, and GLENCONNER (1833) in 1839. Two of the oldest vessels, GRATITUDE (1816) and SIBELLA (1806) were sold in 1839.
In 1840 ST ROLLOX (1825) was lost but three new schooners were added to the fleet (the owners being now known as Tennant Sons and Co). They were AUCHINCRUIVE, SARAH TENNANT and CHARLES TENNANT, followed a year later by HULL PACKET. The schooner ANNE GIBSON (1839) was purchased in 1841 as well, so that by that year the fleet numbered 15.
David Sloan took over the interests of his brother William in October 1848, from which date the partnership traded as William Sloan & Co as agents, although the ownership of at least some vessels of the fleet remained with St Rollox Shipping Co (eg BRIGAND and CORSAIR so advertised in April 1858).
From 1845 onwards the rundown of the sailing vessels owned commenced as no replacements were sought on the sale of MERCURY (1824) in that year, nor on the loss in 1847 of COUNTESS OF MAR (1833), with steamers now beginning to break into coastal sailings. In January 1851 one of these early steamers, EUROPEAN completed by Smith and Rodger, Glasgow, was placed on sailings between Glasgow and London by her builders operating through a company named the Glasgow Screw Steam Ship Co. William Sloan and Co were appointed agents for this vessel and so entered the era of steam. The sailings proved so successful that arrangements were put in hand to provide a larger vessel. The sailings were taken over from EUROPEAN in September 1851 when METROPOLITAN (I), owned by the Thames & Clyde Screw Shipping Co, with William Sloan and Co as managers, entered service. METROPOLITAN (I) carried goods only but even so made a record run in November 1851 of 70 ½ hours from Greenock to Wapping Wharf on the River Thames, which was reckoned exceptionally fast for this period. A second steamer was built named COSMOPOLITAN which allowed a weekly sailing to be introduced in April 1852. Unfortunately METROPOLITAN (I) was sunk after being involved in a collision in the English Channel in October 1852 and sailings had to be reduced to fortnightly until a new METROPOLITAN (II) could be ready for service in September 1853.
The year 1852 saw the beginning of William Sloan & Co acquiring the Thames and Clyde Screw Shipping Co, and having completed that transaction, they acquired a third steamer, BRIGAND (1848), in early 1854. However in November, 1854 both COSMOPOLITAN and METROPOLITAN (II) were taken up as transports to carry supplies to the Black Sea in connection with the Crimean War, so that sailings to London had to be discontinued for two years. Both vessels were released from this task, METROPOLITAN (II) in September 1855 and COSMOPOLITAN in November 1856, and returned to the London sailings until these were discontinued in 1859 as unprofitable. Both vessels were then sold to the General Steam Navigation Co, London remaining with their new owners until 1881 when they were both lost within seven months of each other.
With the arrival of steam in the fleet, the number of sailing vessels was steadily reduced. JOHN TENNANT (1835) was lost in 1852, LONDON PACKET (II) (1837), SARAH TENNANT (1840) and GLASGOW PACKET (1831) were sold in 1854, and in 1856 HOPE (1821) and HULL PACKET (1841) were lost. LILLY (1807), AUCHINCRUIVE (1840), THAMES (1834) and CHARLES TENNANT (1840) were sold in 1857, as was JOHN CROSBIE (1833) in 1859. ANNE GIBSON (1839) and CHRISTINA (1835) became the sole survivors of the sail era but in their turn were sold out of company service in 1862 and 1866 respectively.
It was in 1858 that William Sloan and Co started what was to become their best known service, that from Glasgow (via Belfast) to Bristol and Swansea. Calls at Cardiff and Newport (Mon.) were added later, the first steamers employed being BRIGAND and the newly built CORSAIR (1857).
Unfortunately BRIGAND was lost shortly afterwards and in her place Sloan's acquired OSCAR (1850), built by William Denny and Bros, Dumbarton. She was originally owned by Robert Henderson and others of Belfast, who in 1853 had formed the Belfast Screw Steam Shipping Co. During August 1858 the share holding in William Sloan and Co was broadened by the inclusion of Mark Whitwill of Bristol, and Robert Henderson of Belfast, who became agents for the sailings at their respective home ports.
Another steamer was ordered and ANTONA (I) appeared on the sailings in 1859, being approximately the same size as OSCAR. The name ANTONA (a Latinised form of the name of the River Avon) initiated the naming of ships of the fleet after rivers, which, with few exceptions, was continued until the company went out of business. Three years later, when high prices were being paid for steamers to run the blockade in the American Civil War, ANTONA (I) was sold to agents of the Southern States. She was not very successful, being captured in the Gulf of Mexico by U.S.S. POCAHONTAS, while running the blockade to Mobile. only three months after purchase. She then became U.S.S. ANTONA until sold out of service in 1865.
To take her place on the Bristol Channel sailings, the company ordered another ship, to which the same name was given. Slightly larger than her predecessor, ANTONA (II) was launched in April 1863. A sister ship CLUTHA (one of the Latin names for the River Clyde), also 3-masted, joined the service in 1864, when CORSAIR was sold to J. Edwards of Bristol for further service.
An additional steamer was purchased in 1866. This was ADMIRAL CATOR (1857) previously owned in West Hartlepool but she was soon on the sale list being actually sold in May 1867 to foreign owners who renamed her JURA The sale, (such as it was), however, fell through and she reverted to Sloan s ownership under her new name. The year 1869 saw the introduction of AILSA, (taking her name from Ailsa Craig in the Firth of Clyde) a similar ship to ANTONA (II) and CLUTHA but only 2-masted.
In May/June 1870 JURA (1857) and OSCAR (1850) were both sold to the Dinqwall & Skye Railway Co, who used them to inaugurate sailings to the Isle of Skye from their railhead at Strome Ferry, on the West Coast of Scotland. Their services to this company were, however, to be short lived, as the returns were not entirely satisfactory. When OSCAR was wrecked in November 1870 JURA continued the sailings alone at a reduced level, but a year later was sold to John Bell, Glasgow (who will appear later in connection with other steamers). Partly to fill the gap caused by their departure from the Sloan fleet PRINCESS ALEXANDRA (1863) was purchased from the Limerick and London Steamship Co, and put into service with her name unchanged.
SEVERN, built in 1874, was larger than any vessel previously owned by Sloan's but three years later she was joined by the even larger AVON (1877). In the latter part of 1878 ANTONA (II) and CLUTHA were sold to John Bell, Glasgow, who had earlier acquired JURA, with these vessels being employed on services to the Mediterranean.
David Sloan's sons, William and George, had now joined the firm and it was they who were to be responsible for expanding the fleet over the next 40 years. During September 1881 a sister ship to SEVERN was launched and given the name SOLWAY. She was to take the place of AILSA (1869) which had been wrecked in November 1880.
The first steel steamer owned by the partnership was MEDWAY, built in 1886, followed in 1889 by HUMBER, the latter being the first,vessellnthe fleet to have triple expansion engines. HUMBER replaced PRINCESS ALEXANDRA, but unfortunately after only a little more than two years service, HUMBER was wrecked near Milford Haven.
The company branched out in another direction in 1891, when they acquired the goodwill and trade from Silloth to Douglas, Isle of Man and Dublin (largely cattle carrying) from Robert Henderson and Co, part owners of some of Sloan's earlier ships, together with the steamer CALEDONIAN (1874) which operated these sailings, connecting at Silloth with the North British Railway.
Durinq the years 1892, 1893, and 1894, the company added to its fleet three further sister ships to HUMBER, viz TWEED(1892) YARROW (1893) (to replace CALEDONIAN which was sold), and ETTRICK (1894).
The size of the fleet naturally varied over the years. From 1886, when it was five, it rose steadily to reach a maximum of eight in 1894. This number was reduced to six by 1897 on the sale of CALEDONIAN in 1895 and SEVERN in1897 However in 1899 another ship, TOWARD (1883), was acquired from the Clyde Shipping Co. Somewhat similar to HUMBER, after being re-engined and overhauled, she entered service with Sloan's as TEVIOT, being the company's last acquisition with an iron hull and a compound engine.
The year 1903 saw the first ship with a more refined and smarter profile, with a long superstructure and taller more raked funnel. This was FINDHORN, built by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co of Troon, starting an owner-builder relationship which was to last (except for one ship) until 1930, when the last vessel was built by the company. FINDHORN, a fine vessel of 1,122 tons gross, had accommodation for passengers and could steam at around 12 knots. Subsequently her low bridge (as with later ships) was raised and a wheelhouse fitted. On the introduction of FINDHORN to service, AVON was sold to James Rankine and Co, Grangemouth and renamed AMSTERDAM. James Rankine and Co at one time traded as the Glasgow and Rotterdam Steam Ship Co and could, like William Sloan and Co, trace its origins back to Charles Tennant of St Rollox. Both fleets had similar funnel colouring all black with a white band.
ANNAN was launched in January 1907, a sister to FINDHORN (1903) succeeding SOLWAY (1881), which was sold and subsequently sailed across the Atlantic to Newfoundland, continuing trading there until 1936.
The death on 13th August, 1910 of William Sloan left George the sole survivor of the early partners who had run the business successfully for the last 40 years or more, as Robert Henderson had previously died on 30th December, (with his shares going to his daughter) and Mark Whitwell on 6th August, 1903 (although his son carried on in his place).
The one vessel not built by the Ailsa Shipbuilding Co during this period was AFTON. She was launched in 1911 by D. J. Dunlop and Co, Port Glasgow and was in fact to be the last ship built for the company for the next thirteen years. At this time the number in the fleet again rose to eight as no ship was disposed of after the new arrival in 1911.
During World War I William Sloan and Co suffered two losses due to enemy action. First, AFTON (1911) was sunk by explosive charges near Fishguard in February, 1917 after having been stopped by a U-boat, and secondly, TWEED (1892) was torpedoed and sunk off the Isle of Wight in March 1918. At the end of hostilities the number in the fleet was thus again reduced to six. Of the twenty-six ships built prior to 1914, many had given (or were to give) exceptionally long service. MEDWAY (1886) giving 40 years ETTRICK (1894) 30 years, TEVIOT (1883) 46 years (including 13 years with Clyde Shipping Co), FINDHORN (1903) 53 years, and ANNAN (1907) 51 years a remarkable record.
The need for new tonnage was pressing by the early 1920s, and an order was placed with the Ailsa yard for two sister ships, so it was in 1924 that BRORA and BEAULY joined the fleet. They were similar in size to the pre-war ships but had less powerful engines for reasons of economy. ln1926 the engine of FINDHORN (1903) was also modified to reduce power and save fuel.
The loss of ETTRICK (1894) in September 1924 reduced the fleet to seven and this number was yet further reduced in 1926 by the sale of MEDWAY (1886) and in 1929 of YARROW (1893), together with the goodwill of the Silloth/Dublin trade to Palgrave, Murphy Ltd. TEVIOT (1883), the last iron-hulled vessel, also went to the breakers in 1929.
Even though the shipping industry was in the middle of a deep depression, an order was placed for another steamer in fact this was to be the last order the company ever placed. For economy the vessel was not provided with any passenger accommodation, most passenger traffic having been of the tourist type since before the war. There was now little call for a regular Passenger service with rail transport much improved between Scotland and South Wales since the early days of the company's sailings. ORCHY joined the fleet in 1930, and although her dimensions were slightly greater than those of the preceding vessels, her outward appearance was very similar, the most noticeable difference being in the shape of the stern.
During 1932 the decision no longer to carry passengers was taken and accordingly FINDHORN (1903), ANNAN (1907), BRORA (1924) and BEAULY (1924) had the accommodation removed. At the same time ANNAN was reboilered to reduce fuel consumption, which brought her speed down from around 12 knots to nearer 10 knots. The older FINDHORN had been reboilered in 1926.
When World War II broke out in 1939, the fleet numbered five the oldest ship being FINDHORN (1903) and the newest and largest ORCHY (1930). The black funnel with the white band disappeared for a period, and although initially the funnels were painted light blue, later with black tops, they soon had to conform to the standard non-gloss grey of all wartime ships. During October 1939, BEAULY and ORCHY were requisitioned by the Admiralty as Q-ships, being renamed respectively LOOE and ANTINOE, but as their presence in the SW Approaches to the English Channel did not attract any attacks from U-boats, they were withdrawn and returned to commercial service in June, 1941. The company suffered no losses from enemy action during the hostilities.
After the war, the company restarted its sailings to the Bristol Channel. In late 1955 a new company, William Sloan and Co Ltd, was formed to take over the assets of the old firm, although the control of the Sloan family was unaffected. In the same year the company also acquired a successor for FINDHORN (1903). This was the Currie Line's HORSA (1928) which had been employed (except for the war years) on their sailings between Leith and Copenhagen, carrying general cargo and up to 12 passengers. HORSA was sent round to Port Glasgow for overhaul and alteration, including conversion to burning oil fuel, the fitting of 'tween decks, repositioning of her mainmast and removal of passenger accommodation, after which she was renamed ENDRICK. Externally she differed from the other vessels in the fleet in having four hatches, a continuous deck and a cruiser stern, as well as having no rake to her funnel or masts, but when given her new owner's usual brown upper-works and pink boot-topping, she did not appear out of place in the fleet. Her funnel colouring was already similar to that of Sloan's, although the spacing of the white band from the top had to be altered, giving a shallower black top.
During 1956 also, BRORA, BEAULY and ORCHY were converted to burn oil fuel. FINDHORN went to the breakers, and the last coal burner in the fleet, ANNAN (1907), remained that way until her end in 1958.
Great changes occured in June 1958 when the issued share capital of William Sloan and Co Ltd was bought by Coast Lines Ltd of Liverpool. The company name was retained but its significance became eroded as sailings were modified and finally integrated into those of the Coast Lines group of companies. Within a very short time of this change in control, Coast Lines transferred two of their motor vessels to the Clyde Bristol Channel sailings. These were FIFE COAST (1954) and WESTERN COAST (1951), which took the names FRUIN and TAY respectively in 1958. Soon afterwards ANNAN (1907) the faithful coal burner, was sent to breakers in Holland, having served the Company some 51 years.
In January 1959 a further Coast Lines motor vessel was transferred ULSTER SENATOR (1938) which took the name DEVERON. With three motor vessels in the fleet, there was now no need for the steamships, so first BEAULY (1924) went to the breakers in May 1959, followed in quick succession by BRORA (1924) and ENDRICK (1928). The brown upperworks and pink boottopping now disappeared and instead all the vessels had the standard Coast Lines colours of white masts and superstructure, with a narrow white band at the waterline, but retaining the Sloan funnel colours. ORCHY (1930) still remained but in October 1959 when a further motor vessel joined the fleet COLEBROOKE (1943) now renamed FORTH, she too went to the breakers at her birth place, Troon.
Even with four motor vessels, it was necessary from time to time to use other Coast Lines group vessels to maintain the weekly sailings between Glasgow, Bristol, Cardiff and Swansea as well as the twice weekly service between Belfast and Bristol, with HAZELFIELD (1948) during 1959 OCEAN COAST (1935) during 1961, MOUNTSTEWART (1955) during 1962 and PACIFIC COAST (1947) during 1963, until two new and more suitable vessels were allocated from within the group's resources.
The fleet consisted in May 1961 mv FRUIN 906 gt aquired 1958, ex FIFE COAST
mv TAY 791 gt aquired 1958, ex WESTERN COAST
mv DEVERON 511 gt aquired 1959, ex CLYDE COAST
mv FORTH 869 gt aquired 1959, ex SOUTHERN COAST
Sailings May 1961
From Glasgow weekly to Bristol, Cardiff & Swansea
From Belfast twice weekly to Bristol
weekly to Cardiff & Swansea
From Bristol twice weekly to Belfast
weekly to Glasgow
From Cardiff weekly to Dublin, Belfast & Glasgow
From Swansea weekly to Dublin, Belfast & Glasgow
During 1962 FORTH (1943) was transferred to the British Channel Islands Shipping Co Ltd, and modifications were made to the sailings to coordinate them to some extent with those of the parent company. Dublin was now included as a port of call as part of this rationalisation, so as to carry traffic formerly moved by the vessels of Burns and Laird Lines, another member of the Coast Lines group. In late 1963 two new and larger motor vessels were transferred to the Sloan sailings, the Belfast S.S. Co’ s ULSTER PIONEER (1955) and ULSTER PREMIER (1955) and these vessels were given the new names of TALISKER and KELVIN respectively. DEVERON (1938) was then sold to Greek owners and FRUIN (1954) transferred to the Belfast S.S.Co, another company within the group.
A further change took place on 1st January 1965 when the three vessels in the fleet TAY (1951), TALISKER (1955) and KELVIN (1955) were transferred to Burns and Laird Lines Ltd, although this was purely administrative and no alterations were made to the funnel markings or the pattern of sailings. However, this in fact was the beginning of the end for William Sloan and Co Ltd, on 16th April 1965 KELVIN made the last Glasgow to Bristol sailing and thereafter the three vessels operated only between Belfast and Dublin, and the Bristol Channel With the ever increasing competition from road services, sailings to Cardiff ended in January 1968, and those to Bristol in April of the same year, after which the three vessels were transferred to other services, administratively they had reverted to the parent company. Coast Lines Ltd, in December 1967. A unit load daily express service through Preston thenceforth operated betweenNorthern Ireland and South Wales, provided by yet another associated firm of the Coast Lines group, Northern Ireland Trailers Ltd.
So after over 100 years the funnel and houseflag of William Sloan and Co was no longer to be seen at Windmillcroft Quay near the centre of Glasgow, nor in the docks of the Bristol Channel which the Company served so long and the gracefully proportioned steamers with their black topsides over pink boot topping, black lifeboats, and rich brown superstructure and masts are just memories of the past.
William Sloan & Co Ltd, Glasgow, G. Langmuir & G. Somner, WSS, 1987.
History Of William Sloan, G. Langmuir & G. Somner, WSS, 1961.
6th January 2008, 11:40
FLEET LIST ( Powered Vessels)
EUROPEAN Official No. 437. 440 tons gross (later 519), 318 tons net (later 323). Iron hull, Length 172 ft., increased in 1875 to 196.3 feet. Beam 25.3 feet, Depth 14.3 feet. 2 cylinder steam engine constructed by Smith & Rodger, Govan, Glasgow.
1850: Launched by Smith & Rodger, Glasgow for the Glasgow Screw Steam Ship Co. Sold in December 1850 to J. N. Russell & others, Belfast.
1854: Owners became known from February as the London & Limerick Steam Ship Co.
1865: Sold to John Wigham Richardson, Newcastle, and later to J. R. & C. L. Ringrose, Hull.
1900: Stranded at Callantsoog on 27th September and became a total loss.
METROPOLITAN (1) (1851 1852), 590 g.r.t., 340 net. Iron, 190 x27 x 16 ft. 2 cylinder, 150 h.p. R. Nabier & Sons, Govan.
1851: Launched by R. Napier & Sons, Govan. 1852: Sunk off Beachy Head on 18th October, on passage London to Clyde, by collision with ZOLLVEREIN of Danzig.
COSMOPOLITAN (1852 1859), 27174, 526 (later 502) g.r.t., 357 net. Iron, 192.9 x 27.0 x 16.5 ft. 2 cylinder 140 h.p. R. Napier & Sons, Govan.
1852: Launched in April by R. Napier & Sons, Govan. 1854: Engaged in Crimean War as a Transport from December until November, 1856. 1859: Sold to General Steam Navigation Co., London in September. 1881: Ran ashore in River Schelde on 5th August while on passage from London to Antwerp, becom¬ing a total loss.
METROPOLITAN (2) (1853 1859), 4687, 598 (later 521) g.r.t., 308 net. Iron, 198.4 x 27.0 x 15.3 ft., 2 cylinder 140 h.p. Smith & Rodger, Glasgow.
1853: Launched by Smith & Rodger Glasgow. 1854: Engaged in Crimean War as a Transport from December until November 1856. 1859: Sold to General Steam Navigation Co., London in September. 1881: Sunk off Woolwich on 14th December after being in collision with s.s. GEMMA (German), later being raised for scrap.
BRIGAND (1856 1858), 3046, 386 g.r.t., 218 net, Iron, 139x22x13 ft. Lengthened 1852 to 167 ft., 386 gt., 288 net, 2 cylinder, 60 h.p. Smith & Rodger, Glasgow.
1848: Launched by Smith & Rodger, Glasgow, for Glasgow & Liverpool Shipping Co., Glasgow. 1853: Sold to Lewis Potter & Co., Glasgow in July. 1856: Acquired in May. 1858: Sank after collision on 29th April with s.v. WILLIAM CAMPBELL near Kish light while on passage from Bristol to the Clyde.
CORSAIR (1857 1864), 17196, 264 g.r.t., 179 net, Iron, 150.1 x 22.2 x 12.2 ft., 2 cylinder, 60 h.p., 1873: fitted with compound engines 50 h.p. Pattison & Atkin¬son, Newcastle.
1857: Launched at Glasgow in April. 1864: Sold to Turner, Edwards & Co., Bristol. 1876: Foundered on 20th March in Bristol Channel, off Morte Point after collision with s.s. SOLENT while on passage from Newport to Charente.
OSCAR (1858 1870), 598, 330 g.r.t., 198 net, Iron, 156.4x22.6x13.1 ft. (later 159.6 x 23.2 x 13.0 ft.), 2 cylinder 75 h.p. Wm. Denny of Dumbarton, in 1872 compound of 50 h.p. fitted by W. King & Co., Glasgow.
1850: Launched by Wm. Denny & Bros., of Dumbarton for Robert Hender¬son, Belfast. 1853: Owners became known as Belfast Screw Shipping Co. 1858: Acquired in August. 1870: Sold in June to Dingwall & Skye Railway Co., for service from Strome Ferry, ran ashore on 9th November near Applecross and abandoned to Underwriters. 1871: Refloated and sold to G. G. Mackay, Grange¬mouth. 1882: Sank on 16th July after collision with s.s. BREEZE of West Hartle¬pool off Flamborough Head on 15th on passage London to Middlesbrough.
ANTONA (1) (1859 1862), 28481, 352 g.r.t., 239 net, Iron, 167 x 23 x 14 ft., 2 cylinder, 90 h.p.
1859: Launched by Neilson of Glasgow. 1862: Sold to American Owners for blockade running in American Civil War. 1863: Captured by U.S.S. POCAHONTAS on 3rd January while running the blockade of Mobile, became U.S.S. ANTONA. 1865: Sold out of service, bought by G. W. Quintard, New York and renamed CARLOTTA. 1874: Abandoned.
ANTONA (2) (1863 1878), 45965, 514 (later 517) g.r.t., 336 net, Iron, 190.0 x 27.0 x 14.0 ft., 2 cylinder, 90 h.p. Barclay Curle & Co., Glasgow, compounded in 1880 by J. & T. Young, Ayr.
1863: Launched by Barclay Curle & Co., Glasgow in April. 1878: Sold to J. Bell, Glasgow. 1887: to J. Clark, Glasgow. 1898: to R. Russell, Glasgow. 1902: to Bell's Asia Minor S.S. Co., Glasgow. 1903: Broken up at Alexandria in November.
CLUTHA (1864 1878), 50336, 509 (later 515) g.r.t. 337 net, Iron, 190.3 x 26.9 x 14.0 ft., 2 cylinder, 90 h.p. Barclay Curle & Co., Glasgow, compounded by Muir & Houston Glasgow in 1878.
1864: Launched in May by Barclay Curle & Co. 1878: Sold to J. Bell, Glasgow. 1887: Sold to J. Clark, Glasgow. 1888: Sold to J. Miller, Grangemouth. 1889: Sold to W. Harkness (J. M. Lennard & Sons), Middlesbrough. 1894: Foundered on 22nd December in North Sea while on passage from Middlesbrough to Aarhus.
ADMIRAL CATOR/JURA (1866 1870), 18195, 311 (later 315) g.r.t., 212 net Iron, 178.3 x 22.1 x 12.5, 2 cylinder, 60 h.p., T. Wingate & Co., Glasgow, 65 h.p., compound engines fitted 1873 by D. Rowan & Co., Glasgow.
1857: Launched by Thomas Wingate & Co., Glasgow for West Hartlepool Screw Steam Shipping Co., West Hartlepool. 1866: Acquired in November. 1867: Sold to Foreign owners in June but sale fell through and in July reverted to Sloan ownership but renamed JURA. 1870.. Sold to Dingwall & Skye Railway Co., in May for service from Strome Ferry. 1871: Sold to J. Bell, Glasgow. 1879: Sailed from Hull on 15th February for Smyrna and not heard of again.
AILSA (1869 1880) 60458, 505 g.r.t., 335 net, Iron, 190.0 x 27.1 x 13.9 ft., lengthened 1873 to 214 ft, 505 (later 626) gt. 398 net tons, 2 cylinder 100 h.p. Barclay & Curle & Co., Glasgow, compounded 1879 by Hutson & Corbett, Glasgow.
1869: Launched by Barclay Curle & Co., Glasgow, and taken over in August. 1880: Lost on 16th November, being driven ashore at St. Govan's Head near Milford with the loss of all hands while on passage from Cardiff to Glasgow.
PRINCESS ALEXANDRA (1870 1889), 20677, 629 (later 653 and 649) g.r.t., 292 net, Iron, 212.5 x 27.5 x 15.3 ft., 2 cylinder, 140 h.p., Blackwood & Gordon, Port Glasgow, 112 h.p. fitted 1873 by D. Rowan & Co., Glasgow.
1863: Launched in July by Blackwood & Gordon, Port Glasgow, for Limerick & London S.S. Co., Limerick. 1870: Acquired in May. 1889: Sold to J. & P. Hutchison, Glasgow. 1913: Sold in December to Kismet Shipping Co., Ltd, Glasgow. 1914: Sold to Nafi Bey, Constantinople and renamed EDIRNE. 1915: Sunk by Russian Destroyer's gunfire on 16th June in Black Sea between Zongouldak and the Bosphorus.
SEVERN (1874 1897), 71672, 765 (later 731) g.r.t., 477 net, Iron, 211.0 x 28.2 x 15.5 ft. Compound, 252 h.p. D. & W. Henderson & Co., Glasgow, altered to 127 h.p. in 1894.
1874: Launched in September by D. & W. Henderson & Co., Glasgow. 1897: Sold in October to Cuppa Lambos Steamship Co., Ltd, Constantinople. 1900: Sold to Hadji Suleiman Zade, Gumughdgian & Co., Constaninople and renamed SEYAR. 1901: To Mme. J. Gumughdgian, Constantinople. 1907: Stranded at Heraklea on 18th November and became a total loss.
AVON (1878 1903) 78569, 749 g.r.t., 397 net, Iron, 219.9 x 29.1 x 15.3 ft. Compound inverted, 150 h.p., Cunliffe, Dunlop & Co., Port Glasgow, triple expansion fitted 1888, 169 h.p. by D. J. Dunlop & Co., Port Glasgow.
1877: Launched in December by Cunliffe, Dunlop & Co., Port Glasgow. 1878: Taken over in February. 1903: Sold to James Rankine & Co., Ltd, Grangemouth and renamed AMSTERDAM. 1918: Torpedoed and sunk on 24th February off Coquet Island.
SOLWAY (1881 1907), 85860, 753 g.r.t., 414 net, Iron, 220.2 x 30.1 x 15.2 ft. Compound inverted, 160 h.p., Barclay Curle & Co., Glasgow, altered in 1899 by A. & J. Inglis, Glasgow.
1881: Launched by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow, and taken over in September. 1907: Sold in June to G. Bazeley & Sons, Penzance. 1911: Sold to Reid Newfoundland Co., St. Johns, Newfoundland, and renamed MEIGLE. 1924: Sold to the Government of Newfoundland. 1936: Dismantled.
MEDWAY (1886 1926), 93290, 870 (later 831 and 905) g.r.t. 475 net, 225.0 x 32.1 x 14.2ft. Compound inverted, 180 h.p. by J. & J. Thompson, Glasgow.
1886: Launched in May by C. Connell & Co., Glasgow. 1926: Sold in May to Administration de Nav. a Vapeur Turque, Constantinople and renamed BANDIRMA. 1938: Sold to Denizyollavi Idaresi, Istanbul and renamed ULGEN. Still in register.
HUMBER (1889 1892), 96099, 900 g.r.t., 470 net, 230.2 x 32.1 x 14.0 ft. Triple expansion, 200 h.p. by D. J. Dunlop & Co., Port Glasgow.
1889: Launched by D. J. Dunlop & Co., Port Glasgow in September. 1892: Wrecked on 19th January off Linney Head near Milford Haven and became a total loss. The vessel was on passage from Belfast to Bristol.
CALEDONIAN (1891 1896), 67497, 553 (later 550 and 537) g.r.t., 331 net, Iron, 201.0 x 26.1 x 12.9 ft., compound inverted, 122 h.p. John Elder & Co., Govan.
1874: Launched in May by John Elder & Co., Govan for Ardrossan Shipping Co., Ardrossan (R. Henderson & Sons, Belfast), for service between Ardrossan and Belfast. 1880: Placed on Dublin Silloth route for same owners. 1891: Acquired in July along with Messrs Henderson's Dublin Silloth trade. 1896: Sold in March to J. J. Mack & Sons, Liverpool. 1900: Sold to Salgado & Co., Rio de Janeiro and renamed GUASCA. 1907: Sunk in collision with s.s. SAN LOURENCO on 5th December while on passage from Parangue to Santos.
TWEED (1892 1918), 99845,999 g.r.t., 515 net, 230.0 x 32.1 X 15.5 ft. Triple expansion 223 h.p. by D. J. Dunlop & Co., Glasgow.
1892: Launched by D. J. Dunlop & Co., Glasgow. 1915: Sank on her side in River Avon, but refloated. 1918: Torpedoed and sunk ofr St. Catherines Point, I.O.W., on 13th March.
YARROW (1893 1929), 102591, 972 (later 959) g.r.t., 430 net, 230.0 x 32.1 X 15.0 ft. Compound, 223 h.p. R. Napier & Sons, Glasgow.
1893: Launched in June by R. Napier & Sons, Glasgow, and put on sailing from Dublin to Douglas I.O.M. and Silloth in succession to CALEDONIAN. 1929: Sold in April to Dublin & Silloth Steamship Co., Ltd, Dublin (Managers, Palgrave, Murphy & Co., Ltd) and renamed ASSAROE, continuing on same route. 1947: Broken up in Belgium in December.
ETTRICK (1894 1924), 104577, 965 g.r.t., 465 net, 230.0 x 32.1 x 15.5 ft. Triple expansion, 223 (later 211) h.p. R. Napier & Sons Glasgow.
1894: Launched by R. Napier & Sons, Glasgow. 1924: Grounded and sank on 5th September in River Avon near Bristol, afterwards raised and towed to Portishead for breaking up in 1925.
TEVIOT (1899 1929), 87691, 948 g.r.t., 476 net, 230 x 32 x 16 ft. compound inverted, 193 h.p. Lees, Anderson & Co., Glasgow, new compound fitted 1904, 175 h.p. A. & J. Inglis, Glasgow.
1883: Launched by Dobie & Co., Glasgow in May for the Clyde Shipping Co., Ltd, Glasgow as TOWARD. 1899: Acquired in March and renamed TEVIOT. 1929: Broken up.
FINDHORN (1903 1956), 115763, 1121 (later 1024) g.r.t., 461 net from 1938 1064 g.r.t., 398 net, 242.3 x 33.0 x 16.2,ft. Triple expansion 226 h.p. D. Rowan & Co., Glasgow. Modified in 1926 by D. Rowan & Co., to 183 h.p.
1903: Launched by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Ltd, Troon. 1932: Passengers no longer carried. 1956: Broken up by Smith & Houston Ltd, Port Glasgow, arrived 7th July.
ANNAN (1907 1958), 124170, 1137 g.r.t., 485 net, from 1932, 955 g.r.t., 392 net, 242.0 x 33.6 x 16.0 ft. Triple expansion, 226 h.p. Dunsmuir & Jackson Ltd, Glasgow. Modified in 1932 by A. Stephen & Son Ltd, Glasgow, to 137 h.p., new boiler then fitted.
1907: Launched on 11th January by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Ltd, Troon. 1932: Passenger accommodation removed. 1958: Sold for scrap, arrived at Hendrik Ido Ambacht 16th August.
AFTON (1911 1917),133 001, 1156 g.r.t., 486 net, 242.4 x 34.2 x 16.Oft. Triple expansion 226 h.p. D. J. Dunlop & Co., Glasgow.
1911: Launched on 8th August by D. J. Dunlop & Co., Port Glasgow. 1917.. Sunk by U boat N.E. of Strumble Head on 15th February.
BRORA (1924 1959), 147895, 1061 (later 1024) g.r.t., 440 net. From 1932. 1028 g.r.t. 404 net, 242.4 x 34.2 x 16.0 ft., triple expansion, 162 h.p., Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Ltd, Troon.
1924: Launched 6th March by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Ltd, Troon. 1932: Passengers no longer carried. 1956: Converted to oil fuel. 1959: Delivered at Antwerp 29th May for scrapping.
BEAULY (1924 1959), 147919, 1061 g.r.t., 439 net. From 1932 1030 g.r.t. 404 net, 242.4 x 34.2 x 16.0 ft. Triple expansion 162 h.p. Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Ltd, Troon.
1924: Launched on 2nd May by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Ltd, Troon. 1932: Passengers no longer carried. 1956: April converted to oil fuel. 1959: Delivered at Antwerp 11th May for scrapping.
ORCHY (1930 1959), 161920, 1090 g.r.t., 429 net, 246.3 x 36.1 x 15.8 ft. Triple expansion, 138 h.p. Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Ltd, Troon.
1930: Launched by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Ltd, Troon, being the first vessel owned by the company without passenger accommodation. 1956: July converted to oil fuel. 1959: Arrived at Troon for scrapping on 13th October.
ENDRICK (1955 1959), 160651, 979 g.r.t., 392 net, 231.4 x 35.6 X 16 ft., triple expansion, 175 h.p., Ramage & Ferguson, Ltd, Leith.
1928: Launched by Ramage & Ferguson Ltd, Leith for the Leith, Hull & Hamburg S.P. Co., Ltd, Leith, as HORSA, for the service between Leith and Copenhagen. 1940: Supply ship to H.M. Forces in Iceland and Faroes until 1945. 1949: Resumed sailings to Copenhagen. 1955: Acquired in October and renamed ENDRICK. 1956: April converted to oil burning. 1959: Delivered at Antwerp, 26th June, for scrapping.
FRUIN (1958 1963 ), 185507, 906 g.r.t., 344 net, 226 x 35.6 x 10.9 ft. 8 cylinder oil engine G. Clark (1938) Ltd, Sunderland, 1440 BHP.
1954: Launched by G. Brown & Co. (Marine) Ltd, Greenock in December as FIFE COAST, for Coast Lines Ltd, Liverpool. 1958: Transferred to Wm. Sloan & Co., Ltd, 20th June, and renamed, 1963 transferred to the Belfast Steamship Co., Belfast and renamed STORMONT, 1976 sold to Farouk Rassem, W. Moukahal and Ahmed Hassan Zeido (Union Commercial Co., managers) and renamed RABUNION VII and converted for livestock, 1992 BARAA Z, 1994 broken up in Lebanon
TAY (1958 1965), 791 g.r.t., 396 net, 224.8 x 35.3 X 11.2 ft., 7 cylinder oil engine by British Polar Engines Ltd, Glasgow, 113 nhp.
1951: Launched in September by Goole Shipbuilding and Repairing Co., Ltd, Goole, as WESTERN COAST for Coast Lines, Ltd, Liverpool. 1958 transferred to Wm. Sloan & Co., Ltd on 7th July and renamed TAY, 1965 over to Burns and Laird, 1968 sold to Panama renamed CHARALAMBOS, 1973 ERIKA, 1973 stuck a rock off Roubos Island near Ayios Evstratios, and later sank.
DEVERON (1959 1963 ), 166243, 511 g.r.t., 253 net, 195.6 x 31.6 x 9.7 ft., 6 Cyl. oil engine by Klockner Humboldt Deutz, Cologne, original engine by same makers having been replaced in August 1958.
1938: Launched by Scheepswerf "De Noord”, Alblasserdam for Coast Lines Ltd, Liverpool as CLYDE COAST. 1956: Transferred to Belfast S.S. Co., and named ULSTER SENATOR. 1959: Transferred to Wm. Sloan & Co., Ltd, in January and renamed, 1963 NISSOS DELOS, 1966 DORA MARIA, 1968 MARIA, 1969 ISMINI L, 1974 MAKEDONIA, sank under tow 28/9/79 seven miles off Cape Kiti after being ordered out of Larnaca Roads with a severe list.
FORTH (1959 1962 ), 168858, 869 g.r.t., 424 net, 234.5x35.2x11.7 ft., 8 Cyl. Oil Engine by British Auxiliaries Ltd, Glasgow.
1943: Launched by Ardrossan Dockyard, Ltd, as SOUTHERN COAST for Coast Lines Ltd, Liverpool. 1955: Transferred to Belfast, Mersey & Manchester S.S. Co., Belfast and named COLEBROOKE. 1959: Transferred to Wm. Sloan & Co., Ltd, and renamed, 1962 reverted to SOUTHERN COAST, 1967 sold ELEISTRIA, AL RUBAYIA, 1979 sold to Bombay breakers in 2/85 but sank in monsoon and lying awash 18.57N 72.51E
TALISKER (1963-1965), 1,016 g.r.t, 248 ft., 8-cylinder oil engine by George Clark (1938) Ltd., Sunderland.
1955: Launched by George Brown and Co. ( Marine) Ltd., Greenock as ULSTER PIONEER for the Belfast Steamship Co. Ltd., 1965 transferred to Burns and Laird, 1968 transferred to Coast Lines Ltd., 1968 sold to Israel renamed BAT SNAPIR, 1970 managers became Ofer Brothers, 1973 Sold to Woodbine Shipping Corporation Inc., Panama and renamed WOODBINE, 1975 Sold to Asia Baru Navigation Pte Ltd, Panama and renamed HONG SHEN, 1976 Sold to Leong Mee Sendirian Berhad, Malaysia not renamed, 1988 sank off North Borneo after developing leaks.
KELVIN (1963-1965) 979 g.r.t., 252 ft., 8-cylinder oil engine by George Clark (1938) Ltd., Sunderland.
1955: Launched by A. and J. Inglis Ltd., Pointhouse as ULSTER PREMIER for the Belfast Steamship Co. Ltd., 1965 transferred to Burns and Laird, 1968 transferred to Coast Lines Ltd., 1968 sold to Albaran Bay Corporation of Panama and renamed VASSILIA, 1971 Laid up, 1972 Sold by order of the Admiralty Marshal to H.K. Tannis, St. Vincent, Cape Verde Islands and renamed ALFTAN, 1977 Sold to Tacamar Panamena S.A. ( Tacarigua Marina S.A., managers), Panama and renamed TACAMAR III, 1982 Transferred to Flota Mercante de Quimicos Flomerquim C.A. ( previous owners now managers), Venezuela and renamed CANAIMA, 1983 scrapped in Cartagena ( Colombia)
William Sloan & Co Ltd, Glasgow, G. Langmuir & G. Somner, WSS, 1987.
History Of William Sloan, G. Langmuir & G. Somner, WSS, 1961.
vBulletin® v3.6.8, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.