Rowbotham Tankships Ltd

Pages : [1] 2

derekhore
6th January 2008, 10:56
There must be plenty of ex-Rockies on here, certainly some threads following on in the picture gallery would indicate that, so, in the words of a Norwich City Chairwoman.."Let's be 'avin you!"

Me - mate & 2nd mate - March 1980/July 1987......Rudderman (x3), Helmsman, Tillerman (my regular vessel x17), Orionman, Leadsman (x3), River Shannon (x4), Oilman (x3), Pointsman, Oarsman, Eastgate, Quarterman, Echoman (x4), Polarisman, Stellaman.

vasco
6th January 2008, 13:31
http://www.james-fisher.co.uk/services_marine_oil.php

This is the list of Fishers Ships currently.

Alas there are none of your old vessels left. The last to go was the Tankerman (Severn Fisher) last month. Oarsman about 2003, Tillerman (Lough Fisher) about the same.

I joined Fishers after the take overs, so will be no help to you really, but I am sure somebody will.
Welcome to the site, it lives up to its name.

derekhore
6th January 2008, 13:39
http://www.james-fisher.co.uk/services_marine_oil.php

This is the list of Fishers Ships currently.

Alas there are none of your old vessels left. The last to go was the Tankerman (Severn Fisher) last month. Oarsman about 2003, Tillerman (Lough Fisher) about the same.

Hi.....

The Tillerman (807 grt) you are referring to was not mine!!

She was sold in Leith back in January 1986 .. to a Greek company who took her down to the Medi via Plymouth, to service fishing fleets.

The Tankerman was the largest vessel in the Robo fleet when I left in 1987, and was on a long term MOD charter in those days, spent a lot of her time in Pompey! She was built in Appledore, North Devon, along the same lines as the BP Hunter & BP Harrier .. probably the last big vessels to be built at that shipyard sadly.
I left them when P & O took over and changed the flag to the Isle of Man.

Do you know what became of the Oilman? She was a handy little job and took over the BP charter round the West coast of Scotland from us, although she was far too quick to discharge in some ports, in & out in hours!! .. Not good!!

vasco
6th January 2008, 15:06
Here is a picture of the Tankerman http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/95014

She was extended, I was on her for a good few trips and it was ok, but latterly her age started to show.Not many tears shed when she went. As one person once said of her "had career breaker" wriitten down the side.

Sorry, no idea about the oilman.

derekhore
6th January 2008, 16:11
Good pic .. you can't see the join!!

price
6th January 2008, 17:18
Hello Derek and Vasco,
I joined Rowbothams in the Spring of 1968, first ship was the Guidesman with Capt. Tommy Williams. I was later on the Pointsman (1933), Tillerman, chartsman, Oarsman (778 grt.), Steersman (334 grt), Bridgeman (369 grt), Helmsman (531 grt), Wheelsman, Steersman (1566 grt), Leadsman and the Rudderman (1592 grt). I was on most of these vessels many times in different capacities, leaving the company early in 1973. My first command was the Bridgeman during the winter of 1968/69. Many happy memories, too many to recount in this post, I worked at Pembroke Refinery from the mid 1970s until my retirement in 1998 so was still in touch.

Bruce.

Peter Eccleson
18th January 2008, 14:08
I stood by her at Appledore Shipyards. Did the radio/navaids installation and commissioning and sailed on trials and first positioning voyage as 'Radio Officer'.

She was a nice ship. Was she sold for further trading or scrap?

Fond memories of sunny days in Devon! Appledores was a great yard to work in.

Cheers
(Pint)

Thamesphil
18th January 2008, 14:20
The OILMAN (built 1982) is currently owned by Papua New Guinea owners and operating in local trades. She is now named PACKULA. The TANKERMAN is still in Fisher's fleet as the SEVERN FISHER.

Peter Eccleson
18th January 2008, 14:31
Thamesphil

Vasco (above) says the Severn Fisher went 2007?

willincity
18th January 2008, 16:43
I was Master onboard Rowbotham's chemical tankers between 76 to 87
Vegaman- Orionman - Centuarman - Stellaman - Marsman great runs from NW Europe down the Med and back, 6 weeks on 4 weeks off, in those days it was class in a glass. They then sold them all within 6 months and I remained for another year or so on their Type III chem/tank the Echoman although she only ran CPP and was never good enough to carry simple easy chems.
I also sailed on the "scrap yard" known as the Polarisman out in the Caribbean then followed that up with my last trip on a then Robo's tanker, the never to be forgotten, Westgate in Ethiopia in the months of July and August. (I lost over 12 kilos in 10 weeks on that ship) it was time to move on.
That said bar for the last 12 months I considered them to be a decent 11 years with Rowbothams but then around about the same time leave with the Scandinavian chemical ships was opening up to 1 for 1 so move on I did.
There were some good seaman in the Rowbotham fleet and when on the short sea runs (Tees-R'Dam - Antwerp) the AB's were spot on with tank cleaning and we rarely had a cargo tank knocked back while on the chemical trade.

Thamesphil
18th January 2008, 16:56
Thamesphil

Vasco (above) says the Severn Fisher went 2007?

Yes, my apologies. A sale was agreed with Nigerian interests on 20/11/2007. However, I wasn't aware that she had already been handed over to new owners.

Phil

derekhore
18th January 2008, 17:07
Willincity....

Do I know you?

:)

willincity
18th January 2008, 17:23
Willincity....

Do I know you?

:)

You may well do,

derekhore
18th January 2008, 17:46
Hmmmmm!

:D

kevinseery
18th January 2008, 20:35
Lough Fisher was previously the Cableman not Tillerman which was a 12000 tonner they bought 2nd hand from Thuntank. I was with Hull gates from 1981 through the time Rowbothams bought them, then P&O, then Fishers bought them in 1997. They made me redundant in 2003 so I went to Everards, now Fishers own Everards. It's like being on a carousel with the same faces coming round and round. The Rocky ships I was on were Pointsman, Cableman and The Anchorman class (built in Malaysia mid 90's).

Barry Man
10th February 2008, 15:08
I wonder if you guys know that a book about the Rowbotham company and fleet was published by the World Ship Society a few years ago.

kevhogg
10th February 2008, 15:32
was AB on Tankerman Helmsman and Tillerman '91/92 good crowds and decent outfit

derekhore
10th February 2008, 16:29
I wonder if you guys know that a book about the Rowbotham company and fleet was published by the World Ship Society a few years ago.

Indeed, there is currently one for sale on Ebay!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290205518761&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=290203689113&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

timo
10th February 2008, 16:39
that ship the never to be forgotten, Westgate in Ethiopia in the months of July and August. (I lost over 12 kilos in 10 weeks)

I had a couple of mates (AB's) who were on the Westgate late 1982, I think they relieved the crew that took the ship down to Ethiopa, they both lost the best part of 2 stone each in the 3 months out there. I heard storys of chickens being slaughtered on the quay and being bought up the gangway, they said joining and paying off was a long drawn out affair too, I knew a couple of other guys who went out there towards the end of the charter and going by what they said things got better, not great, just better.

cymruman
10th February 2008, 18:20
Did 3 trips on westgate in Ethiopia ( 2 as second eng and 1 as chief ). Not the first choice of trips to do but it was generally a good trip. Had to switch off at Heathrow and just get on with it. First journey out took about 10 days but after that it was about 7.
Only time I ve flown in a DC3 which proved quite interesting, once the runway in Assab had been cleared of various livestock. Great trip for losing weight as well as mind

andyhlc
10th February 2008, 23:44
(Thumb) i was with hulgates first then rockies until 97 and since then i have been working offshore

andy balderson

derekhore
11th February 2008, 15:03
Was mate on the Eastgate shortly after Rowbums took over....the Captain was a guy called Shenton. (I think his nickname was "sha**er"!!!)
We ended up doing the Irish run with the River Shannon.

andyhlc
14th February 2008, 19:34
i was with sh*****R a few times when i was cook i found him alright even so a few did not , but i got on with him ,
derck how long was you with Hullgates, can you remember Brian Wilson from Hull (skipper on the Northgate) hope to see your reply

andy

KEITH SEVILLE
16th February 2008, 11:02
Does anybody remember Captain Rodney Burnet who served on the Orionman
and the Bridgeman?
He was from Southampton and married to an nurse.
Would be about 67 years old I think now

Keith

derekhore
16th February 2008, 13:20
andyhlc .....
I was not actually with Hullgates, I was with Rowbothams, but sailed on the Eastgate Feb 86 - April 86 as mate after Rockies had taken them over.

Keith ....
Rodney Burnet, known affectionately as "The Roadrunner" due to the way he dashed about on the bridge! Rumour had it he wore out a pair of shoes every trip!
Was with him when he was Captain of the Orionman in late 1980

andyhlc
16th February 2008, 22:31
i was on the Orionman as the regular stwd when Willy Miller was skipper,around 1990 , good days when you look back and some friends with that company

vasco
4th March 2008, 16:37
Rodney has now retired and quite often visits ships in Fawley as 'the Mission Man'

mpkk
4th March 2008, 20:08
Sailed with Rowbothams/P&O/Fishers from '82 till '03, mostly as Mate. Regular ships were Bridgeman,Pointsman,Helmsman,Wheelsman and the four MSE's - Anchorman,Chartsman,Rudderman & Steersman.

My lasting impression of 'Radio Rodney' was him having a 'conversation' with his dog over the mobile phone!!

Capt's Willie Millar and Andy Shenton are sadly no longer with us.

Regards
Jon

price
4th March 2008, 20:40
Willie did his first stint in the company with me, I think on the 'Leadsman' in 1972, he had previously been Capt. with Whittakers. The last time that I met Willie was at Pembroke Refinery in the late 1970s, he was then Capt. of the 'Astraman'. I was sorry to hear that Willie had died, he was a good man.
Bruce.

cymruman
4th March 2008, 21:55
Just heard about S*****r Shenton.
Sailed with him a few times found him ok, anyone know what happened,

mpkk
5th March 2008, 20:06
Hi Cymruman,
Never sailed with Andy Shenton but met him on a couple of occasions. Believe he died of Bowel Cancer.
Regards

andyhlc
6th March 2008, 19:24
just heard about andy shenton and willie miller two good blokes , and good memorys of both

derekhore
10th March 2008, 13:57
Indeed, sad to hear about Willie Millar & Andy Shenton.

Always seems to make you realise how time has passed when your hear of fellow sea-mates passing on, there seem to be fewer & fewer names to mention everytime I talk to my contact Mike Cotton, ret'd C/E.

willincity
10th March 2008, 15:52
Not wanting to join on the “morbid” trail here but RIP

Keith Barnett
Hugh Hall
Mike O’Brien
John Marsden

.....and I did hear Frank Craske was in very poor health just before Christmas2007 also Dave Andrews and Dave Bee.

Pat Kennedy
10th March 2008, 16:43
I never actually sailed in Rowbothams, but worked on nearly all of them. When I packed in the sea, I had a job servicing shipboard compressed air breathing apparatus, and I used to drive all over the place to meet up with the ships. Rowbothams seemed to like going to some really out of the way ports like Harwich, Pembroke, Grangemouth, Immingham etc.
I remember a marine superintendant, Captain Laverick, who was a really nice guy, and all the cooks, especially the one on the Orionman who would get me a huge fry-up, no matter what time of the day or night I turned up.
I think the only ship I never worked on was the River Lea, which seemed to be
permanently based over in Ireland.
Pat

willincity
10th March 2008, 16:55
I remember a marine superintendant, Captain Laverick, who was a really nice guy
Pat

Still doing fine is Captain Dave Laverick, retired in 1998

derekhore
11th March 2008, 12:14
Not wanting to join on the “morbid” trail here but RIP

Keith Barnett
Hugh Hall
Mike O’Brien
John Marsden

.....and I did hear Frank Craske was in very poor health just before Christmas2007 also Dave Andrews and Dave Bee.

You can add to that list 'Rusty' Buchan too!

What about Steve Pond & John Godwin? Does anyone know if they are still with us as I know they were both ill some time back.

Also an old cook called John Cook! a real old timer from the BoT days.

price
11th March 2008, 18:46
Hi Derek and Willincity,
I remember all those men very well, in particular Frank Craske, Steve Pond, John Marsden and Dave Andrews, good friends all.
I sailed with John Cook a few times, mainly on the old Helmsman, once met never forgotten. He was Ck/stwd. on the Helmsman when I was mate there with Alex Graham and later, with me when I was master. Jimmy Ritchie and Eddy Walker normally used to rotate as Ch/engs. and the permanent 2/eng was Roger Havard, quite a happy family.
I remember once, in Heysham I think, John returned to the Helmsman with a few items of stores and came to me for the cash, this was in the late 1960s and the 50p coin had just been launched. The Bill Came to a figure that included the use of a 10/- note. I gave John a 50p piece which John was not at all happy about and went straight down to see Eddy Walker (always a leg puller) who, in turn told John that I was pulling a fast one, how could 50p be equal to 10/-? use your sense man, said Eddy, it is only worth 4/2d. With that John came straight back to me demanding a 10/- note.
John was quite a character, I could relate quite a few stories about him. He was a pretty fair cook as well under the circumstances.
Bruce.

derekhore
11th March 2008, 21:37
Bruce...

Yes, John was an 'excellent' cook under the circumstances!

The old Tillerman had a butane gas stove, fed by cylinders on the boat deck. John used to make those cylinders last longer than any other cook (we always changed them in Stornoway if possible, quay to boat deck at low water!)....but we always had a hot meal regardless of weather whilst others dealt up sandwiches.
John always had a pan of soup on the go with all the 'left-overs' in...and he always baked his own rolls, a bonus for the morning 3-8 watch!

A story about him was told that returning to the ship one morning after going for the papers...he saw a field full of mushrooms. Rubbing his hands with glee he made to climb over the gate...and the mushrooms flew away. They were all seagulls!!
Such was Johns eyesight.

And as for tales about the late Roger Havard....he lived about a mile from me in Paignton and I saw him regularly on leave...along with his wife Dorothy.
They had plastic grass on their balcony for the dog to cr@p on...and Roger would shake it out every day!!

Then there was his old London taxi...a landmark in Torbay!!

price
11th March 2008, 22:02
Hi Derek,
I believe that the story about the field of mushrooms has an element of truth in it, I was told that it happened while John and Eddie Walker were walking back to the Helmsman from Heysham and Eddie brought Johns' attention to the field of mushrooms. I can't vouch for this I wasn't there.
Bruce

derekhore
12th March 2008, 08:27
Retired C/E Mike Cotton told me....and he confirms it IS true!! :D

derekhore
12th March 2008, 20:19
Update on a few names that are sadly no longer with us (from Mike Cotton!):

Brian Spencely (Eng Super)
Gordon Davis (Wheelsman C/E)
Frank Craske
John Charlesworth
Jimmy Ritchie

.....and a few who are still going strong-"ish":

John Godwin
Tony Duffin
Eddie Walker
Peter Davidson
Dave Andrews
Colin Farmer
Ian Shields
Ian Storey
Alan Everett

...and from the Office: Brian Porter, Alan Thurbon & Pat Bennet

No info on Kenny Plummer & Stevie Pond though.

price
13th March 2008, 13:21
Hi Derek,
Sorry to hear about Gordon Davis, Frank Craske and Jimmy Ritchie, I didn't sail with John Charlesworth but met him a few times when I worked at Pembroke Refinery. I sailed with Tony Duffin a couple of times, but knew him first in my Everard days, Dave Andrews and Eddie Walker were old friends and I think Alan Everett relieved me once or twice as Master. Brian Porter was an old friend and ally. I am glad to hear that they are still going fairly strong.
Bruce.

derekhore
13th March 2008, 13:56
Hi Bruce

I have been in touch with Bryan Porter not 20 minutes ago!

If you would like his email address send me a PM and I will forward it to you.....he is all for keeping in touch and I quote him...

"We're a dieing breed as the Company no longer exists and the breed will keep going until the last person whoever did work with the Company has 'moved on'!"

PJW
18th March 2008, 22:09
I spent 9 years with Rowbothams, last 5 years as mate mainly on the chemical ships. Left after getting my Masters ticket in 1988. Since then been working ashore in the ports industry.
I sailed with many of the guys mentioned. I particularly remember Willie Millar, Tony Duffin, Dave Andrews.
Also remeber quite a few guys who are probably still around such as Dave Day, Peter Macanaly, Terry Frith, Ian Storie, Dudley White, Malcolm Johnson, Chris Pennington, Graham Westgarth etc.
Had some good times in Rockies, particularly when foreign in Mexico on the Vegaman and Centaurman and Trinidad on Polarisman.
I still think the Rowbotham Chemical ships where cargo wise a good design. Although the ballast pumproom up forward caused a few challenges (apparently water runs up hill on Rowbothams) and the pumps on Vegaman & Centaurman where always playing up and rigging portable pumps with acrylonitile on board was interesting to say the least!
But there was always a good crowd and we worked hard but played hard..

willincity
19th March 2008, 10:05
Hi Pete,

Dave Day, Don't know where Daffy went after ROBO
Peter Macanaly, was with Sally line
Terry Frith, went to Stolt and now T/M at CDI
Ian Storie,retired sick 12 years ago lives IOM
Dudley White, RIP (4 years ago)
Malcolm Johnson, ??
Chris Pennington, Working for himself N Wales
Graham Westgarth, landed good job with TEKAY

Are you UK ports or global?

peterjholcroft
19th March 2008, 21:45
Peter Macanally was indeed with Sally Line. Sadly his first wife died while he was with Sally. He remarried one of the gilrls from the office in Ramsgate (16 years his younger). I sailed with him last in 1998 on the Dart 4. Last heard he was living in Kirkudbright. I did hear that he was working for Norfolk Line but I can not confirm that.

PJW
21st March 2008, 21:39
Hi Pete,

Dave Day, Don't know where Daffy went after ROBO
Peter Macanaly, was with Sally line
Terry Frith, went to Stolt and now T/M at CDI
Ian Storie,retired sick 12 years ago lives IOM
Dudley White, RIP (4 years ago)
Malcolm Johnson, ??
Chris Pennington, Working for himself N Wales
Graham Westgarth, landed good job with TEKAY

Are you UK ports or global?

I spent 10 years at The Tees then moved to Tor Line in Mingming as ops manager. Currrently with ABP in Hull.
I understand Dave day is a pilot on the London river. I have seen Graham Westgarth in Lloyds list, as vice president with Teekay.
Great to hear some of the old names, sorry to hear about those no longer with us.
Peter Wilkinson

StewT
20th November 2008, 22:34
Does anybody remember Captain Rodney Burnet who served on the Orionman
and the Bridgeman?
He was from Southampton and married to an nurse.
Would be about 67 years old I think now

Keith

I sailed with Radio Rodney, (Radio because he was always on the vhf) several times as 3rd and 2nd mate dont know where he is now though.

Stew.

Stuart Mooney
30th November 2008, 02:25
I worked as an AB in Rockies from 88 to 96 when I did my second mates. Left soon after Fishers took over and went to work for Pat Bennet at SMS in the offshore game.
Now sailing as Old Man with Swire Pacific Offshore.
Its sad to see many of the old names are no longer with us, and good to see that some still are, oh how times have changed at sea since the days of Rockies!! I sailed on Helmsman, Orionman, oarsman, all the 'Gate' Boats - several times, Tankerman (With Rodders) Echoman (Master Bates) and Cableman (Daisy Andrews), Astraman etc etc
Gordon Simms ex Rockies chief eng. was looking for old shipmates to chat to on shipmatesreunited on the NUMAST website.
I had a great time during those years at Rockies / P&O
How my liver survived on the Irish runs with Terry Frith and Sean Geoghan...............

vasco
30th November 2008, 12:15
I sailed with Radio Rodney, (Radio because he was always on the vhf) several times as 3rd and 2nd mate dont know where he is now though.

Stew.

See my post 27 above.

ROBERT HENDERSON
30th November 2008, 12:51
I have noticed a list of ex Rowbotham men mentioned. I met Steve Pond while doing a radar simulator course at Plymouth, we both used to go to the local Woolworhs for lunch. Another Rowbotham mate I met a Lowestoft college was John Stewart, he was mate on the Astraman at the time and then became a pilot at Kings Lynn.

Regards Robert

R396040
7th December 2008, 17:07
In 1972 I was between companies and got three jobs from a Glasgow agency doing Trial jobs. One was the BRIDGEMAN who was built by Hall Russell Aberdeen in June 1972, see I had two discharges,first three days then after a week another for thrree days for sea trials. My discharge was as Chief Steward. Normally of course she wouldnt carry that rating but the shipyard manager said they wanted stock control on food as on previous ships they had over run on the budget, all went well and I got a bonus .
What I would like to know is what happened to the ship,where did she trade and how long did she last ?
Cheers, Stuart Henderson (R396040)
France

Burned Toast
7th December 2008, 17:29
I was Ck/Stwd on the Wheelsman and joined the Pointsman new in Goole shipyard. 1969 to 1971. Skipper was Jan Rog,C/Eng from kent married to a South African girl, Nice crowd.

john fillingham
21st December 2008, 17:52
I was 2nd mate on the Pointsman in 1964 running between Heysham Harbour and the Manchester Ship Canal (Cadishead I think)
This was my first Home Trade ship having just got hitched to a Bootle lass, but found it worse than being away deep sea for months at a time, because I could see Bootle from the Mersey but still couldnt get ashore!!

derekhore
24th January 2009, 08:07
How my liver survived on the Irish runs with Terry Frith and Sean Geoghan...............

Do you mean Kevin Geoghan .... skipper of the River Shannon, along with the mate Turleough McMahon and chief eng Harry Loughry ... every time we went to Dublin she was a ghost ship!
Did 3 trips on her as relieving 2/o - c/o .... great times were had, we even did a run to Falmouth which threw Kevin totally, around Lands End was uncharted waters!!

Matt Black
23rd March 2009, 23:58
I have been wandering around SN and have found no mention of lowly Class 5 Trainees. I was one for a year or so with Rowbothams. I was shuttled around the fleet a fair bit.

Have found my discharge book and family have had a laugh at the photo.
Gravesend from November 81 to February 82 - U class
Joined the Pointsman in Harwich - William Miller. Great food! After Peanut rations in Gravesend to see a four course menu for lunch amazed me.
Cadets had been dispensed with so the old man filled the cadets cabin with beer. Happy ship!

A couple of weeks in Greenhithe College
Wheelsman in Pembroke. Belfast watched the world cup in the H&W social club. Nearly missed the ship. Long walk down the dock road to jetty no. 1
Guidesman - Short trip and then onto an outward bound course in Fort William. 10 days sailing an open cutter into force 7's around Tobermory
Bridgeman Capt. Andrews
Leadsman - AB jumped ship in Wisbech and we did 5hrs on 5hrs off and a heavy schedule of short hops and double tank cleaning in le Havre.

Joined the brand new Oilman in Hull fishdock. Spent the first week in a Berni Inn and tried to find a pub that didn't serve Bass.

(20 years later end up serving Bass to Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. He had a pint and I had a pint and I wished I hadn't. Nobody else drinks it in Ireland.)

Capt Williams a Welshman from Dundalk signed for the ship and his son joined later as 2nd I think. Only remember one other colleague. Andy Mifsud from Cardiff.

As has been mentioned in this thread it was very quick to discharge. in and out on one tide in St. Samson. C.I.

Spent Christmas 82 in the middle of the Shannon off Foynes. We arrived on Chritmas Eve and the boatmen had been in the pub for several hours and there was no chance they would leave it. Three days of looking at the lights of Limerick in the distance. Probably for the best.

Frank Craske was covering Christmas and delivered two bottles of booze to the mess for Christmas dinner. Watched Swan Lake and the Christmas Mass on the telly and drank.

Left soon after due to a television allergy! That was the end of my short career with Rowbothams all seen through rose coloured spectacles at this distance.

Can't remember taking a whole load of photos whilst at sea so I was pleased to find some in the gallery.

Cheers

Matt

vasco
24th March 2009, 03:28
Have found my discharge book and family have had a laugh at the photo.
Gravesend from November 81 to February 82 - U class
Joined the Pointsman in Harwich - William Miller. Great food! After Peanut rations in Gravesend to see a four course menu for lunch amazed me.
Cadets had been dispensed with so the old man filled the cadets cabin with beer. Happy ship!

Spent Christmas 82 in the middle of the Shannon off Foynes. We arrived on Chritmas Eve and the boatmen had been in the pub for several hours and there was no chance they would leave it. Three days of looking at the lights of Limerick in the distance. Probably for the best.

Matt

Well Matt, its all part of Fisher/Everards now.

We still get 4 courses. One for breakfast (cook it yourself at times), one for lunch, 2 for dinner. thats 4 isn't it?

I had xmas in Shannon about 10 years ago, the boatman made it, and very freindly all were too.

Sad to say Capt Millar died a few years back, his last ship was the steersman I think. You were well before my time but there are still a few old ones left. If you think of any names drop me a private email.

v1asco

derekhore
4th April 2009, 10:27
Some more good names there....I wonder what became of Harry Williams, Noel's son??

There is one ex-class 5 I keep in touch with...Tim Kelly from Bridport, he did a lot of his training on the Tillerman with me.
Now works for Esso now and haven't seen him for a good few years, but we do exchange the odd email!

There were a few other class 5's I came across....Clive Spurrier (Clive the glove!) .. and one called Frank Belton.

I doubt if there are many of the old Rockies crowd still at sea now ....anyone??

kevhogg
4th April 2009, 11:11
Hi Drerek,
Sailed as AB on the tankerman,Helmsman and Tillerman early 90's.Still at sea now mate with campbells.Remember Rodney on Tankerman who can forget him! lol. Also the Mate called dick ??? on the helmsman cockney lad who was into his wild west theme nights on leave!! always sailed with a good crowd and have many happy memories from my ime there.
Kev

derekhore
5th April 2009, 08:18
Hi Kev

That would have been the 'new' Tillerman as the old 1000 tonner was sold on 24th Jan 1986 in Leith.

Don't know who that mate would have been, I left Rockies in July 1987, but it's good to know the 'friendship' of the Company carried on!

ianian
17th April 2009, 21:31
Hi every one ask me a few questions about people alive or unfortunately now no longer with us, in the next few days I will answer a few questions that people have asked about.

Kind regards

Ian

derekhore
17th April 2009, 22:04
Hi Ian

'Salems' are sent to you from Mike Cotton!!

ianian
17th April 2009, 23:06
I was on Polarisman for years as C/Eng and when I left her , so she could go to the Caribbean she sailed off with Master J Browning and Redpath as C/Eng and was in excellent condition it was the blokes after me that turned it into a scrap heap.

Ian Shields

ianian
17th April 2009, 23:10
Hope you are keeping well.

regards

Ian Shields

ianian
17th April 2009, 23:22
John Godwin is still alive and kicking,and lives in Poole
Regards
Ian Shields

ianian
17th April 2009, 23:33
Malcolm Johnson is retired with a pension from Stolts after injuring himself very seriously in the E/R generator blew up, his wife asked for a divorce while he was in hospital almost on his deathbed.
Graham Westgarth is retired was a Director with Mearsk when he retired lives in Suffolk so I have been told
Regards Ian Shields

billyboy
18th April 2009, 02:18
Anyone know of a chief engineer called Doug Hewitt (tiny)
Or A cook/steward called Joe Mercer. Now there was a character!
Or even my brother Jim Still. Oarsman, rudderman I think

derekhore
18th April 2009, 08:46
Hi Ian

John Browning ended up with me on the Tillerman, round the East Coast until she was laid up in Leith and we handed her over to the Greeks.

He was supposedly put on her a master for a 'punishment' but loved every minute of it!!
We had a great time during lay-up, ashore every lunchtime!!

We travelled back to the West Country together, he left the train at Sherborne I think and I never saw him again!

ianian
27th April 2009, 09:47
Hi Ian

John Browning ended up with me on the Tillerman, round the East Coast until she was laid up in Leith and we handed her over to the Greeks.

He was supposedly put on her a master for a 'punishment' but loved every minute of it!!
We had a great time during lay-up, ashore every lunchtime!!

We travelled back to the West Country together, he left the train at Sherborne I think and I never saw him again!

Hi Derek, sorry long in answering but been away, unfortunately John was killed in the Indian Ocean he was master of a container/ come general cargo ship ,and had been in severe weather and the cargo broke loose,John being John went down the hold and fell in between some containers, he had to stay there till they got the ship round and made for that american air base in the Indian ocean, went to the funeral when they got him home, a dear friend and a great loss, knew him from Bank Line days. Regards Ian

derekhore
1st May 2009, 12:36
Hi Ian

Very, very sad to hear that about John Browning ... we got on great together and I have some good memories of trips up the road with him at various East Coast ports.

I will pass that info onto Mike Cotton when we next speak as he too has a keen interest in who is still remaining from the 'good' old days.

Regards.

willincity
14th May 2009, 15:14
Graham Westgarth is retired was a Director with Mearsk when he retired lives in Suffolk so I have been told
Regards Ian Shields

Graham Westgarth, a very good friend of mine for many years, is president of Teekay Marine Services and was recently elected as a vice-chairman of Intertanko at the association's Tanker Event in Tokyo,............I would think there is at least 8 to 10 more years before Graham considers retirement.
(Thumb)

JKB
18th May 2009, 08:49
I didn't work for Rowbothams but spent a lot of time on the Echoman and Tankerman trying to get the 12MB275 engines to work properly. Three Chief Engineers who I remember well are Dave Farmer (left to work in hospital maintenance), George Gardner (left but made a comeback later) and Kali Akhtar. All showed great forebearance even when things weren't going very well. There were others too, whose names escape me at this distance; a Second Engineer from the south west somewhere who was into lawnmower racing, for example.
I also recall the Superintendent Engineer, Eddie Neylon, one of the nicest people I ever met in any walk of life. He eventually left and got involved with subsea stuff, now retired and involved with the Beaulieu Light Railway. His boss, Fred Greyell, no longer with us, was a decent chap to work with too.

JKB, ex Mirrlees Blackstone Service Department.

andyhlc
29th May 2009, 22:30
Hi Derek, sorry long in answering but been away, unfortunately John was killed in the Indian Ocean he was master of a container/ come general cargo ship ,and had been in severe weather and the cargo broke loose,John being John went down the hold and fell in between some containers, he had to stay there till they got the ship round and made for that american air base in the Indian ocean, went to the funeral when they got him home, a dear friend and a great loss, knew him from Bank Line days. Regards Ian

hi Ian,
are you still around Ian (lol) i can remember you from my 2 years on the orionman ,
what you up these days ???
by the way my dad is still going and i will let him i have dropped you a line , and he is on here some where , only thing i can say they where good years on that ship

andy balderson

peter potts
7th July 2009, 05:22
Hi i was AB with Rowbotham,s for 10 years was on most of them man/gate boats last one Irishgate 97. Remember most of the names sorry some passed on. Had some good times with the company.

Rob_W
17th July 2009, 22:36
Well I never did ! A Rockies forum !

I was fortunate enough to have been a Sparky on the Vegaman from about 1977~1980 ( includes the time in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico) and the Cableman in 1981 (which never got out of the Manchester Ship Canal).

When we went out to Texas on the Vegaman, I think it was with Colin Balderson, Cudley Dudley White, Gordon Coates, Ewen Kennedy, Niel Nifton (I think Ian Storey and Kieth Boyles were on prior to us going out there . . ) . . There were others but the memory is not what it was . . .

Cableman trip was amazing - we seemed to go betwwen Ellesmere Port and Tranmere at one End and Modewheel and Latchford Locks at the other end . . . never did find out where the Radio Room was . . . That was with Capt Bates, John Gill, Ken Drysdale, Donald Low, Peter Goff to name but a few

The whole ships company from top bottom were splendid chaps and I really miss those times.

Bob Wright

Grimsby
20th July 2009, 01:21
Hi there,
Does anybody remember the old Leadsman she was an old chant boat launched 1944 and then reported scrapped in Spain in 1974?

I was on the boat in 1958. Skippers name was Marshall - a great guy...

Cheers
Grimsby

price
20th July 2009, 09:07
Hi there,
Does anybody remember the old Leadsman she was an old chant boat launched 1944 and then reported scrapped in Spain in 1974?

I was on the boat in 1958. Skippers name was Marshall - a great guy...

Cheers
Grimsby

Hello Grimsby; I didn't sail on the Leadsman (Chant), but knew Dave Marshall, he later worked in Rowbotham's operation dept.(chartering). I worked with him for a short period, yes I agree a great guy.
Bruce.

svallis
21st August 2009, 13:55
I have been wandering around SN and have found no mention of lowly Class 5 Trainees.

Matt

I was in the first ever intake of Class V Trainees in 1978. I think it was quite a success with most of us sailing as an officer of some description at the end of our training although we all had to start our sea service as deck boy. My first ship was the Astraman, joined in Harwich on February 8th with a run to the Shetland Islands in a gale!
I now run a Marine Consultants and employ Master Mariners to inspect ships, carry out flag state inspections and we attend for loss control and expediting during loading. Willie Miller was my first Captain, the day I joined in Harwich he walked in to the mess room where I sat, said.."we don't have deck boys on this ship" and walked out. Second time we spoke he saw me in Immingham Mission with a pint (I was 16) and he ordered me back to the ship and never to drink again! (Bit rich that).

Burned Toast
21st August 2009, 17:05
Love that A OFFICER of some Description(Thumb)

ianian
22nd August 2009, 10:57
I was in the first ever intake of Class V Trainees in 1978. I think it was quite a success with most of us sailing as an officer of some description at the end of our training although we all had to start our sea service as deck boy. My first ship was the Astraman, joined in Harwich on February 8th with a run to the Shetland Islands in a gale!
I now run a Marine Consultants and employ Master Mariners to inspect ships, carry out flag state inspections and we attend for loss control and expediting during loading. Willie Miller was my first Captain, the day I joined in Harwich he walked in to the mess room where I sat, said.."we don't have deck boys on this ship" and walked out. Second time we spoke he saw me in Immingham Mission with a pint (I was 16) and he ordered me back to the ship and never to drink again! (Bit rich that).

Well the reason you were sent back to the ship was because you were underage and the old man was correct as he can get into trouble for letting you go on the pop. Willie Millar was a great bloke and I sailed with Willie as C/eng for almost 20 years, he was also right we did not carry deck boys.
I worked for Rockies for many years and it only started to go wrong when P&O got involved, still such is life and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since thos days. Willie died nearly seven years ago of cancer a great loss.
Regards Ianian

kevinmurphy
24th August 2009, 19:56
Well the reason you were sent back to the ship was because you were underage and the old man was correct as he can get into trouble for letting you go on the pop. Willie Millar was a great bloke and I sailed with Willie as C/eng for almost 20 years, he was also right we did not carry deck boys.
I worked for Rockies for many years and it only started to go wrong when P&O got involved, still such is life and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since thos days. Willie died nearly seven years ago of cancer a great loss.
Regards Ianian

Ian
I was 2nd Mate on the Orionman in 94 two trips March>may & June>Aug(not very slim!! & with a beard), you were C/E, looking in my book, my discharge was by Willie Millar first trip, I remember him as a fine Master, gave me some good advice(get out of this lot=P&OTankships) what he said was true, renew the fleet with tonnage not particularly great & suited for the coast & then sell it, exactly what they did.
I was a year with them altogether and found him a pleasure to sail with. Sorry to hear of his passing.
Regards
Kev

price
24th August 2009, 20:42
Willie Millar did his first trip in the company with me as mate on the Leadsman, just to feel his way around. Willie had previously been Captain with Whitakers, I liked him a lot and often met him when he visited Pembroke Refinery, I think the last time that I saw him, he was Captain of the Astraman, a nice guy and a sad loss.
Bruce.

ianian
25th August 2009, 10:36
Ian
I was 2nd Mate on the Orionman in 94 two trips March>may & June>Aug(not very slim!! & with a beard), you were C/E, looking in my book, my discharge was by Willie Millar first trip, I remember him as a fine Master, gave me some good advice(get out of this lot=P&OTankships) what he said was true, renew the fleet with tonnage not particularly great & suited for the coast & then sell it, exactly what they did.
I was a year with them altogether and found him a pleasure to sail with. Sorry to hear of his passing.
Regards
Kev

Hi Kev.
How's it going, along time ago all getting crustier, still I can recall you, You should also remember one of the mates on board Euan Morrison and the other was Niel Lovesy the 2/eng was Graham Davies,[I think we were still paired manning or maybe not] a very good crowd on there happy times then, now 65 and been retired for 5 years, got to the stage where I hated the job [or what they did to it, the powers that be]

Ian

derekhore
6th September 2009, 17:16
Hi Drerek,
Sailed as AB on the tankerman,Helmsman and Tillerman early 90's.Still at sea now mate with campbells.Remember Rodney on Tankerman who can forget him! lol. Also the Mate called dick ??? on the helmsman cockney lad who was into his wild west theme nights on leave!! always sailed with a good crowd and have many happy memories from my ime there.
Kev

Was it Dick Squires?

willincity
6th September 2009, 21:07
Was it Dick Squires?
Dick Stephenson was the mate made referance to i think - from Southend

Stuart Mooney
9th September 2009, 13:26
Do you mean Kevin Geoghan .... skipper of the River Shannon, along with the mate Turleough McMahon and chief eng Harry Loughry ... every time we went to Dublin she was a ghost ship!
Did 3 trips on her as relieving 2/o - c/o .... great times were had, we even did a run to Falmouth which threw Kevin totally, around Lands End was uncharted waters!!

Yes you're right Kevin! he became pilot at Foynes, he came onboard one night as pilot with Terry Frith as old man at about 7pm and brought us alongside and got off at 7am, slightly worse for wear!! Good old days indeed.

Stuart Mooney
9th September 2009, 13:28
Dick Stephenson was the mate made referance to i think - from Southend

Yes Tricky Dicky, he had crossed guns above his cabin door on the Helmsman, I asked him what his cowboy name was, Dick Head was the very typical reply!

derekhore
9th September 2009, 16:23
My mistake....sorry!

Dick (head) Squires was another mate in another Company!

Tricky Dicky Stephenson I sailed with briefly on some ship or other, no recolection of which one though!

One evening Kevin G once took the River Shannon off the outside berth at Whitegate and straight across the bay onto the beach, where we stayed until the next high water!!
I think he wondered where we were the following morning!! :D

Mike Boyle
12th September 2009, 21:05
Rodney does a bit of ship visiting at Fawley on behalf of the Seaman's centre.

I was on the Humbergate, Westgate, Northgate, Polarisman, Astraman, Helmsman, Pointsman and Tillerman during a 2 year stretch in 90/91.

vasco
13th September 2009, 09:49
Rodney does a bit of ship visiting at Fawley on behalf of the Seaman's centre.

Speaking to a visitor from the Seamans centre a few months back Rodney has had a bit of ill health and perhaps won't be visiting anymore. Hope this proves wrong.

Burned Toast
13th September 2009, 13:09
Jan Rog Skipper of Wheelsman and Pointsman around 1970s Nice man.

D YEO
13th September 2009, 18:37
Update on a few names that are sadly no longer with us (from Mike Cotton!):

Brian Spencely (Eng Super)
Gordon Davis (Wheelsman C/E)
Frank Craske
John Charlesworth
Jimmy Ritchie

.....and a few who are still going strong-"ish":

John Godwin
Tony Duffin
Eddie Walker
Peter Davidson
Dave Andrews
Colin Farmer
Ian Shields
Ian Storey
Alan Everett

...and from the Office: Brian Porter, Alan Thurbon & Pat Bennet

No info on Kenny Plummer & Stevie Pond though.

Still alive D Yeo eng from 1970-1977 would like to contact P Davidson

duquesa
13th September 2009, 18:45
What became of Capt. Bates. I think it was the Echoman he was on when I knew him.

willincity
13th September 2009, 20:06
What became of Capt. Bates. I think it was the Echoman he was on when I knew him.I relieved him for his leave some time in the mid eighties....... now if I recall the story correctly he was on vacation in either Iceland or Greenland and unfortunately was involved in an road accident, he was in some f type of opened top jeep and was thrown out into the roadside. I maybe a little of the mark with the facts but that is only what I recall.
He was hospitalised for some time but as a result of the accident he lost the sight of one eye and effectively never returned back to sea..........or so I though because amazingly I did see him again in 1990 odd on a UK sail training ship for disabled youngsters in a port on the Northern French Coast, Le Havre .
never heard of him since...

willincity
13th September 2009, 21:13
Hello Denis,
Great to know you are still about; Peter D is still living in Flambrough or was up to about a year ago, he attended the funeral of Brian Spencely. I do not have any contact details and I don’t think he posts on this site.
Last time we (you and I) sailed together was on the then new Centaurman and you locked up the engine room work shop for the night when we docked in the Tyne for repairs, thus not allowing the Engine superintendent Tony “the tiger” Tyson in the E-R after 18:00 hours.(Thumb)
Also recall loading Benzene off Shell’s Stanlow Island when the ambulance driver and his mate came rushing onboard armed with stretcher and First Aid Kit looking for a china man called Cheng YEO.:)
An finally in Le Havre the French fire engine that was called out on a false alarm to the berth while we were legally tank-cleaning alongside, some shore side “wally” spotted steam coming from the tanks into the night air and with the backdrop of our deck lights though the ship was on fire. (Jester)
It never ended there as all the firemen came onboard (about 8 of them dressed up like Trumpton characters) sat themselves down in the Ch/Off’s cabin (Rocking Robin Ralling sp) and proceeded to drink all his beer from the mates fridge, the steward passing by saw all these French types enjoying the beer so thought it only courteous to replenished “Rocking’s” fridge with 2 more cases for the firemen while the poor "Charlie Oscar" was on deck tank cleaning and knew nothing of it.
(==D)
Keep well my old friend:-)

duquesa
13th September 2009, 21:18
Willincity, many thanks for that and now the grey cells are telling me I had heard about that accident. I was aboard the Echoman several times under his command as a pilot but I had known him prior to that as his son & mine were at the same school for a spell and we met at some functions. What he was like to sail with I have no idea but from a pilot's point of view and socially, he was fine. I hope he is well.

price
14th September 2009, 08:48
Hello Burned Toast and D Yeo; I sailed with Jan Rog a couple of times when I was mate on the Wheelsman in the late 1960s, she was a fairly new ship then, I believe that Jan joined one of the large aggregate dredging companies.
I was sorry to hear about the demise of Gordon Davies, Frank Craske and Jimmy Ritchie, Jimmy was a good friend, we sailed together mostly on the old 1937 Helmsman and later the Rudderman.
I have known Tony Duffin since my Everard days, Eddie Walker was a good friend, a Mr. Fixit with anything mechanical, a safe pair of hands, always cheerful. I sailed with Dave Andrews on the old Pointsman (Steamer) and the Steersman, glad to hear that he is enjoying his retirement.
Bruce.

ianian
14th September 2009, 14:59

Hi Dennis,

Long time no hear from ,hope you are well, you must be retired like me, YES!

Kind Regards

Ian Shields

ROBERT HENDERSON
14th September 2009, 15:04
I wonder if any of you Rockies knew John Stewart, he was mate on the Astraman when I met him at college, next time I met him he was a Pilot at Kings Lynn. I would be interested to know if he is still about.

Regards Robert

tabnab44
11th October 2009, 14:21
Yeah I was one of those Class 5 Trainees too.Joined my first ship Bridgeman at Amoco jetty Milford Haven on a stormy night back in Feb 79 ..Dennis Smith was the Second Mate in his oilskins who helped me on board ! Daisy Andrews was the Master and Tim O'sullivan was the Irish Mate who wore two pairs of glasses at the same time and was known as Mother Superior ..he told me not to read Mayfair and read my Rule of the Road book instead . Nigel Hawker was another Second Mate on there now fishing out of Dorset I am told. I seemed to spend a lot of time on the Wheelsman both as a trainee and 3rd Mate with John Bates ,Noel Williams and Frank Craske as Masters ...Howard Swann and Colin Farmer as Mates and Eddie Jenkins and Kevin Smith (Pugwash) as 2nd mates. Bosun was Ernie Horn and the Donkeyman was old Tommy from Shoreham ...tank cleaning on there was always a major job with those portable washing machines and fans . Only Ex Rowbotham Class 5 s I know of now are Jim Podger who is Master with Maersk Tankers, Chris Poole-Gleed who has his own Sawmill and Stuart Vallis who has his own Marine Consultants Company . I left in 1983 and decided tankers were no longer an option as I prefered General Cargo .

derekhore
16th October 2009, 15:23
Ah...Colin Farmer, there's a name!

He was mate on the Tillerman before me, guy from Scotland (Falkirk?), always phoning home and his wife was never in!!

I remember in Cowes when he went ashore on a bender, Trevor Hill was the skipper....Colin arrived back in the nick of time, just as pilot Henry Wrigley had decided we must put to sea!
Colin managed to stagger up onto the focsle, assisted with untying and then just as we were leaving Medina wharf....he let go the st'bd anchor!

Brilliant!!

I think he was transfered to the Wheelsman from the Tilly in Milford, I remember John Phillips coming aboard and saying Colin wanted his calculator sent over ... so we put it in an envelope with some 'gay' mags that had found their way on board!!

Happy days.

Ex-class 5 Tim Kelly I occasionally hear from, lives in Bridport, married with 2 kids and now works for Exxon in Nigeria I think.

Do you remember Frank Belton .. class 5?

I remember the name Nigel Hawker, I think he may have been mate on the Guidesman for a few of the Island trips, possibly also saied on the Tilly too.

derekhore
30th October 2009, 15:21
In fact ... Tim Kelly has just registered on this site today!!

Welcome Timbo!!

Mike Boyle
3rd December 2009, 21:13
Colin works in the Solent now, Mate on the Whitonia, he has not changed an inch since Rockies. Other Class 5 old boys in residence here are Harry Williams Operations Director, Terry Hitchens Mate and Gary Holmes Mate. I was only ever a part timer!

derekhore
7th December 2009, 18:19
Thanks... If you ever bump into Colin please pass my best wishes onto him.

Derek

bloomdido
31st December 2009, 16:11
hi there,i was with rockies from sept 84 till june 87,helmsman,wheelsman ,stellaman,marsman,tankerman and bridgeman really enjoyed my time there usually a good bunch of lads,but deep sea was calling and i was off just as the company was flagging out to the iom.best wishes malcolm

derekhore
11th January 2010, 14:29
You left just before me ... July 87 I left the Stellaman at Immingham .. just as they were about to transfer her over to IoM .. Dave Cummins was the Captain then, ex-BP.

I actually have the ships stamp in my Discharge book showing the PoR as London & then Douglas!!

willincity
2nd February 2010, 11:34
Malcolm Johnson is retired with a pension from Stolts after injuring himself very seriously in the E/R generator blew up, his wife asked for a divorce while he was in hospital almost on his deathbed.

With respect to IANIAN and I’m sure there was no malice intended when he added the above into the thread but I have been troubled by the statement since reading it some months ago and know for a fact that it is not correct.

It is not my place to inform an open forum about the gentleman concerned situation and nor do I wish to enter into any debate about the matter but I feel aggrieved when such a post appears with information about an individual which is not accurate.

ianian
5th February 2010, 08:34
With respect to IANIAN and I’m sure there was no malice intended when he added the above into the thread but I have been troubled by the statement since reading it some months ago and know for a fact that it is not correct.

It is not my place to inform an open forum about the gentleman concerned situation and nor do I wish to enter into any debate about the matter but I feel aggrieved when such a post appears with information about an individual
which is not accurate.

I am sorry that you feel offended but this was told to me by some one else,i.e. the man him self,Malcolm, and I had hearsay off others. I knew Malcolm very well as I was his Chief Engineer on the Polarisman, and he was my 2/eng , maybe he was confused, what do you think,I do not know you as you have got, just this nom de plume .

Dennis Butler
6th February 2010, 12:02

It's called "Rowbotham", published by the World Ship Society in 2002 but a magnificently-comprehensive fleet biography compiled by a Reverend Hucker when he was with the Missions of Seamen @ Milford Haven.

derekhore
7th February 2010, 18:47
Indeed Dennis ....

Mike Cotton told me about it a year or so ago and I purchased a copy from ebay shortly afterwards.

A great read for all ex-Rockies .. and some good photo's too.

Matt Black
8th March 2010, 10:40
Hi from Matt, ex class 5. I have been AWOL for the last 7 months. I opened my own cafe last August just after my last posting. It has been an experience!

If any Irish members are passing Celbridge, Co. Kildare please call in to Halo Cafe, just beside the front door of Tesco. Home made scones, real brown bread and big mugs of tea.

Same goes for anyone travelling just get off in Dublin and head west 14 miles.

who would have thought it a Deckie cooking more than toast!

Have fun
Matt

derekhore
8th March 2010, 16:39
Hi Matt...

I take it that is your page on Facebook?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Halo-Cafe-Celbridge/98265981212?v=info

Just checking before 'Becoming a Fan' !!

Matt Black
19th March 2010, 00:27
Hi Matt...

I take it that is your page on Facebook?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Halo-Cafe-Celbridge/98265981212?v=info

Just checking before 'Becoming a Fan' !!

Hi Derek
Yes that is my facebook page along with photos of how we built the café last year. My website is halocafe.ie. still working on getting it looking a bit better.

Many thanks

Matt

derekhore
24th December 2010, 12:14
I seemed to spend a lot of time on the Wheelsman both as a trainee and 3rd Mate with John Bates ,Noel Williams and Frank Craske as Masters ...Howard Swann and Colin Farmer as Mates and Eddie Jenkins and Kevin Smith (Pugwash) as 2nd mates. Bosun was Ernie Horn and the Donkeyman was old Tommy from Shoreham ...tank cleaning on there was always a major job with those portable washing machines and fans .

You would remember Mike Cotton then, Chief Engineer on the Wheelsman for a long time?

Only ex-Rockie I hear from now ...will be speaking to him tomorrow in our annual Christmas conference call!

ianian
25th December 2010, 06:20
You would remember Mike Cotton then, Chief Engineer on the Wheelsman for a long time?

Only ex-Rockie I hear from now ...will be speaking to him tomorrow in our annual Christmas conference call!

Hi Derek,
Wishing you and all ex Rockies men a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year, I see you say you are talking to Mike Cotton, is he on Skype ?? and if so, have you his e mail address and Skype name by any chance.

Regards
ianian (Ian Shields)

derekhore
25th December 2010, 12:09
Hi Ian...

No, Mike does not 'do' computers, telephone only!
Sadly he had the cheek to be out when I called him earlier, so left a message, will doubtless speak later.

Started the day with a Rusty Buchan special ...fresh Bucks Fizz as was the norm on the Tillerman whilst on the Highland & Island run .. a tradition I am now proud to continue.

Seasons greetings to one & all.

Steve Gray
7th January 2011, 12:34
Can anyone tell me whatever became of Capt Crowhurst the first skipper of the Wheelsman?. I joined her as a 17 year old fresh from sea school whilst she was fitting out at Clelands on the Tyne, there was only Capt Crowhurst, the CE and myself for about 6 weeks before sea trials, Capt Crowhurst always wore uniform and put the fear of god in me, as she was my first ship the 6 weeks were spent exploring, I was still living at home in Sunderland and getting the bus to the Tyne tunnel and walking the rest of the way to the yard listening to Hi Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck on my cassette player.
Kind regards, Steve.

price
7th January 2011, 17:25
Hello Steve; I think that the Wheelsman may have been Captain Crowhursts' last command in the company, I don't remember him on any other vessels after that. As to what became of Capt. Crowhurst after Rowbothams, I do not know. Bruce.

jehumble
15th March 2011, 22:23
Hi there
A number of years ago I retired from Fishers, I was chief engineer on the Severn Fisher and I was wondering if any body had heard of three friends of mine and what they were doing, Capt. George Mount, Mate Peter Maris and second engineer Hughie Henderson, thanking you in advance.
John

derekhore
16th March 2011, 09:38
Peter Marris ... there's a name from the past too!

If I remember, he held/holds the world record for sicknotes!! :))

willincity
16th March 2011, 14:30
Hi there
A number of years ago I retired from Fishers, I was chief engineer on the Severn Fisher and I was wondering if any body had heard of three friends of mine and what they were doing, Capt. George Mount, Mate Peter Maris and second engineer Hughie Henderson, thanking you in advance.
John

George has been retired almost 3 years now, if not longer,still living in Leeds and doing very well, I was with him, D.B Owen, Ian Storie, Dave Cummins and few others just over a year ago. We managed a few beers over lunch in Leeds, a very good day that turned out to be.

Not sure about Peter Maris but did hear he was very poorly but that was a long time back (6 years or more probably)

Hughie Henderson, aka Burl Ives, a very nice guy, I was aware he sailed with Rowbothams although we never crossed over then. I knew him from deep sea days in the seventies.
Did he live in the Shoreham area?

derekhore
16th March 2011, 18:52
I think PM had back trouble very badly .. not sure if he didn't leave the Company before I did.

jehumble
16th March 2011, 22:11
George has been retired almost 3 years now, if not longer,still living in Leeds and doing very well, I was with him, D.B Owen, Ian Storie, Dave Cummins and few others just over a year ago. We managed a few beers over lunch in Leeds, a very good day that turned out to be.

Not sure about Peter Maris but did hear he was very poorly but that was a long time back (6 years or more probably)

Hughie Henderson, aka Burl Ives, a very nice guy, I was aware he sailed with Rowbothams although we never crossed over then. I knew him from deep sea days in the seventies.
Did he live in the Shoreham area?
Sorry to hear about Peter, we had some good times together. I think you may have the wrong Hughie Henderson, as far as I know he came from Liverpool, outwardly a real rough diamond but once you knew him a different person alltogether.

willincity
18th March 2011, 13:39
I think you may have the wrong Hughie Henderson, as far as I know he came from Liverpool, outwardly a real rough diamond but once you knew him a different person alltogether.
I definitely have the wrong person; the Hughie I know cretainly lived on the South Coast and a mirror image of Burl Ives, apologies for making the assumption.

derekhore
19th August 2011, 14:59
I didn't work for Rowbothams but spent a lot of time on the Echoman and Tankerman trying to get the 12MB275 engines to work properly. Three Chief Engineers who I remember well are Dave Farmer (left to work in hospital maintenance), George Gardner (left but made a comeback later) and Kali Akhtar. All showed great forebearance even when things weren't going very well. There were others too, whose names escape me at this distance; a Second Engineer from the south west somewhere who was into lawnmower racing, for example.
I also recall the Superintendent Engineer, Eddie Neylon, one of the nicest people I ever met in any walk of life. He eventually left and got involved with subsea stuff, now retired and involved with the Beaulieu Light Railway. His boss, Fred Greyell, no longer with us, was a decent chap to work with too.

JKB, ex Mirrlees Blackstone Service Department.

Do you remember MIKE COTTON? ... C/E on the Wheelsman and then the Tillerman.

jehumble
23rd November 2011, 17:19
Do you remember MIKE COTTON? ... C/E on the Wheelsman and then the Tillerman.

I knew of Mike Cotton but never met him. I have sailed with and relieved George Gardner and Kali Aktar, both now retired, George helps at the Beamish museum on an old Doxford Engine, Kali retired on health grounds (heart) and at one time was running a Pub in Peterlee, however he has left the Pub but I don't know where he is now living.

derekhore
23rd November 2011, 17:36
Cheers .. Mike is fully retired now, having left the sea and becoming a caretaker for a children's school near his home in Warwick. He now spends quite a lot of time helping with the Shire horses at the Fullers brewery.

martinmcdonough
3rd January 2012, 20:03
does any one know if captain andrews of the cableman is still around

Boss Hogg Jr
19th March 2012, 09:19
Anyone remember the hard working, dedicated, loyal, devoted, underpaid boarding clerks and agents in Milford Haven.... ???

ps Derek that's partly directed at you amongst others...

derekhore
19th March 2012, 09:47
Of course ... but your posting pseudonym gives you away there Mr Phillips Jr!!

Erimus
19th March 2012, 09:48
Way way back in 1958/59 one of the most regular callers in the Tees was the Quarterman, Captain Muckle, as she was often only in port for a tide it was the office boy,me, who saw her most,delivering mail, before she left for the Tyne or Rotterdam......I remember 'the Bond' was a small hole under the Captains Bunk where I may be rewarded with a small bottle of 'Oranjeboom'..if Customs hadn't already drunk it....

geoff

derekhore
19th March 2012, 09:53
Nice to hear from you BH Jr .. only person I keep in touch with these days is Mike Cotton, C/E you no doubt remember from the Wheelsman & then the Tillerman.

Happy days then with great ships & great crews, both on board and ashore!

Sebe
19th March 2012, 18:16
Where is Boss Hogg senior these days. We were both Supers at the same time when he started at Milford when Ken Watson retired.

Sebe

Pat Kennedy
19th March 2012, 19:13
Anyone remember the hard working, dedicated, loyal, devoted, underpaid boarding clerks and agents in Milford Haven.... ???

ps Derek that's partly directed at you amongst others...

Who was Rowbotham's marine superintendant in Milford Haven/Pembroke in the 70s-80s?
In the North it was Capt David Laverick, a very pleasant chap.
The South Wales guy was equally affable, but I have forgotten his name. A big, dark haired bloke, loud voice and cheerful, even standing on the jetty at Milford at four AM in a howling South Westerly.
Regards,
Pat(Pint)

Sebe
19th March 2012, 23:16
Who was Rowbotham's marine superintendant in Milford Haven/Pembroke in the 70s-80s?
In the North it was Capt David Laverick, a very pleasant chap.
The South Wales guy was equally affable, but I have forgotten his name. A big, dark haired bloke, loud voice and cheerful, even standing on the jetty at Milford at four AM in a howling South Westerly.
Regards,
Pat(Pint)

John Phillips was in Milford

derekhore
20th March 2012, 10:14

aka Boss Hogg! :D

Richard Young
21st April 2012, 10:57
Seems a long time ago that i first left Shellhaven aboard the Stellaman (1980) as a class v trainee, was sea sick in the Thames and spent the next two and a half months hanging over the side feeling ill. Managed to control the sickness and joined the Astraman, wheelsman, Orionman, Polarisman, Rudderman, Marsman, Tankerman, blah blah.

Collected the class V, excited about getting out as a mate but ended up back out as AB before being laid down in 83 due to the shipping slump. Spent couple of years delivering and recovering vessels , before a year on the rigs.

It was good to see mention of Tim Kelly in the posts, he and I were in the same group of trainees along with Tim Sturgess and Julian Lloyd.
If any photos come to light as I clear out old rubbish ill post them.

derekhore
21st April 2012, 11:12
Hi Richard ..

I regularly correspond with Tim - I will pass your name onto him and mention those others as well!

Cheers

Richard Young
23rd April 2012, 07:49
Thanks, have fond memories of our time in Greavesend and Greenhithe, we all seemed to have nicknames back then, he would remember me as Brighton and his name i would like to post but i had best not on here.

derekhore
23rd April 2012, 08:09
Tim is on Facebook, that is how I correspond with him ... mentioned your name on Saturday along with the others - he remembers you well!

Richard Young
23rd April 2012, 08:37
That's great, i'm under Richard Young and Widerwake on facebook, tried to find Tim but couldn't.
Thanks for passing on message, and glad he remembers me and the hazy days at greenhithe.

Boss Hogg Jr
23rd April 2012, 08:56

Sure you mean Capt John Phillips (the hair ain't so dark anymore though), not sure what you guys called him but I called him Dad!

ps before him it was Ken Watson, another real character - known to me for so long as Uncle, Captain, Ken Watson Sir....

Boss Hogg Jr
23rd April 2012, 09:03
Ah Derek, so good to hear from you, Dad is all IT'd up these days, should get him on here, ps Boss Hogg Jr was better than being called Aenus!....

Anyway, don't suppose anyone on here has GA's for the Cableman or failing that the Pointsman. Reasin is that I'm looking to have a 1:72 scale model comissioned for my office, with so few people still in the company that would remember me it may be difficult going to the company itself, Although not impossible.

Mike O'Brien was kind enough to pass me the painting we did of the Pointsman for Ken's retirement, which Ken left to him. It would be nice to have the model especially as she ended up as a bunker tanker (Ma Bro, for Petromarine SA, France) after leaving Rowbothams, and that is the sector I now find myself active within.

derekhore
23rd April 2012, 17:50
Sure you mean Capt John Phillips (the hair ain't so dark anymore though), not sure what you guys called him but I called him Dad!

You mean he still has hair??

Afraid I don't have anything related to what you are looking for!! .. just fond memories of the Tillerman - & of course her bell!!

A shame digital cameras weren't around back then as we have missed out on some wonderful photo's - I have very few from the Robo days unfortunately and there are not many left online now.

Interestingly, I see the Tilly was last registered in Ghana and owned by a Hadi Mohammad!!

Sebe
23rd April 2012, 19:23
[QUOTE=Boss Hogg Jr;592608]Sure you mean Capt John Phillips (the hair ain't so dark anymore though), not sure what you guys called him but I called him Dad!QUOTE]

Well BH Jnr, I think we met in the early 70's when your dad was on Wheelsman and I was on Rudderman, both laid up in Dartmouth. I sailed with John on the Pointsman and relieved him when he went for his Masters ticket. We were both supers at the time he went to Milford.
I remember when I was Mate on the Pointsman going into Shoreham on the big lock and he was coming out of Shoreham in the small lock on the Guidesman, I think as first trip Master bound for Milford. At that time, he told me to tell Tommy Williams (Master of Pointsman), that "it was a damn site easier ship handling from the foc'sle than from the bridge."
We discharged and sailed for Milford and on arrival, Ken Watson asked if we had seen the Guidesman. If you ask BH Snr, he can explain where he had been.......

Give him by best regards,
(ColinB)
Sebe(Thumb)

Boss Hogg Jr
8th May 2012, 10:26
[QUOTE=Boss Hogg Jr;592608]Sure you mean Capt John Phillips (the hair ain't so dark anymore though), not sure what you guys called him but I called him Dad!QUOTE]

Well BH Jnr, I think we met in the early 70's when your dad was on Wheelsman and I was on Rudderman, both laid up in Dartmouth. I sailed with John on the Pointsman and relieved him when he went for his Masters ticket. We were both supers at the time he went to Milford.
I remember when I was Mate on the Pointsman going into Shoreham on the big lock and he was coming out of Shoreham in the small lock on the Guidesman, I think as first trip Master bound for Milford. At that time, he told me to tell Tommy Williams (Master of Pointsman), that "it was a damn site easier ship handling from the foc'sle than from the bridge."
We discharged and sailed for Milford and on arrival, Ken Watson asked if we had seen the Guidesman. If you ask BH Snr, he can explain where he had been.......

Give him by best regards,
(ColinB)
Sebe(Thumb)
Colin - good to hear from you... If I know Dad - fishing, probably had John Bates as mate and went in search of skate....

Was at sisters wedding at the weekend and he made a resplendant father of the bride... if you do Facebook - look for me there (John Phillips, Singapore)... You can catch up with him and his exploits there or via skype (which he now has)...

martinmcdonough
13th May 2012, 19:23
[QUOTE=Sebe;592765]
Colin - good to hear from you... If I know Dad - fishing, probably had John Bates as mate and went in search of skate....

Was at sisters wedding at the weekend and he made a resplendant father of the bride... if you do Facebook - look for me there (John Phillips, Singapore)... You can catch up with him and his exploits there or via skype (which he now has)...

i was on the cable man with capt bates,anchored off port linus waiting for mersey pilot the **** end was full of skate what he and the bosun big bert georgeson had caught, he had a buyer for them in eastam to

martinmcdonough
15th May 2012, 19:10
There must be plenty of ex-Rockies on here, certainly some threads following on in the picture gallery would indicate that, so, in the words of a Norwich City Chairwoman.."Let's be 'avin you!"

Me - mate & 2nd mate - March 1980/July 1987......Rudderman (x3), Helmsman, Tillerman (my regular vessel x17), Orionman, Leadsman (x3), River Shannon (x4), Oilman (x3), Pointsman, Oarsman, Eastgate, Quarterman, Echoman (x4), Polarisman, Stellaman.

OUR PATHS MUST OF CROSSED I WAS WITH ROCKIES,OVER TEN YEARS,I WAS ON QUITE A FEW OF THEM THOUGH NOT ALL OFF THE
IN THE EARLY DAYS I HAD TO DO A 13WEEKER JUST TO GET 3 WEEKS OFF,TIMES HAVE CHANGED I NOW DO 2WEEKS ON AND 4 WEEKS OFF ON THE NORWEGIAN SECTOR OF THE NORTH SEA

DEAN NOCK
27th June 2012, 02:10
Hi Martin glad to see you keeping well was deck boy with you on the CABLEMAN with Andy Kerrison in 1990 with Tommy hamilton ray the cook i see she was broke up last year time flies.

DEAN NOCK
28th June 2012, 02:17
does any one know if captain andrews of the cableman is still around

Daisy got his autograph on my steering ticket ten hours on the Cableman if he is he would be very old i was 16 in 1990 and he was at least 60 then lived near Eastham didnt he remember his wife bringing stores and having to carry up a steep gangway lightship in the QE2 DOCK....

martinmcdonough
28th June 2012, 19:17
alright dean, remember the days well, did,nt you live on the pembroke side, kessy,s dad worked on the tugs,wonder if daisy andrews is still going(skipper) are you still on the ships,or offshore??

sailorman1949
29th June 2012, 00:05
Some more good names there....I wonder what became of Harry Williams, Noel's son??

There is one ex-class 5 I keep in touch with...Tim Kelly from Bridport, he did a lot of his training on the Tillerman with me.
Now works for Esso now and haven't seen him for a good few years, but we do exchange the odd email!

There were a few other class 5's I came across....Clive Spurrier (Clive the glove!) .. and one called Frank Belton.

I doubt if there are many of the old Rockies crowd still at sea now ....anyone??

Harry is now a vetting inspector for Duke Austin, he was operations manager for Whitickers in Hull before that he was master with them.

Dennis Smith

sailorman1949
29th June 2012, 00:08
Yeah I was one of those Class 5 Trainees too.Joined my first ship Bridgeman at Amoco jetty Milford Haven on a stormy night back in Feb 79 ..Dennis Smith was the Second Mate in his oilskins who helped me on board ! Daisy Andrews was the Master and Tim O'sullivan was the Irish Mate who wore two pairs of glasses at the same time and was known as Mother Superior ..he told me not to read Mayfair and read my Rule of the Road book instead . Nigel Hawker was another Second Mate on there now fishing out of Dorset I am told. I seemed to spend a lot of time on the Wheelsman both as a trainee and 3rd Mate with John Bates ,Noel Williams and Frank Craske as Masters ...Howard Swann and Colin Farmer as Mates and Eddie Jenkins and Kevin Smith (Pugwash) as 2nd mates. Bosun was Ernie Horn and the Donkeyman was old Tommy from Shoreham ...tank cleaning on there was always a major job with those portable washing machines and fans . Only Ex Rowbotham Class 5 s I know of now are Jim Podger who is Master with Maersk Tankers, Chris Poole-Gleed who has his own Sawmill and Stuart Vallis who has his own Marine Consultants Company . I left in 1983 and decided tankers were no longer an option as I prefered General Cargo .

Thats a blast from the past, !! I remember all those names and ships,

Dennis Smith

DEAN NOCK
29th June 2012, 01:48
alright dean, remember the days well, did,nt you live on the pembroke side, kessy,s dad worked on the tugs,wonder if daisy andrews is still going(skipper) are you still on the ships,or offshore??

YEP thats right Martin, kezzy is coxswain on milford port authority pilot boats now has been for while spoke to him on facebook last year ive been hgv driving last few years in poole Dorset my last job at sea was tugs at fawley 5 yr ago. andys dad still on tugs at milford all changed now.... go there now and again ...CABLEMAN ended up in lagos and was scrapped last year .... Dennis Smith was Captain when i joined with you he is still with fishers ..

DEAN NOCK
29th June 2012, 01:58
Thats a blast from the past, !! I remember all those names and ships,

Dennis Smith

HI Dennis good to see you still at sea hope you keeping well...

DEAN NOCK
29th June 2012, 02:19
YEP thats right Martin, kezzy is coxswain on milford port authority pilot boats now has been for while spoke to him on facebook last year ive been hgv driving last few years in poole Dorset my last job at sea was tugs at fawley 5 yr ago. andys dad still on tugs at milford all changed now.... go there now and again ...CABLEMAN ended up in lagos and was scrapped last year .... Dennis Smith was Captain when i joined with you he is still with fishers ..

Had all the jokes on there played SKY HOOKS ..STRIPED PAINT ...ETC I remember just about to sail from gulf 1 berth milford on a friday afternoon i went up and asked daisy could i go home for the weekend and rejoin on monday was only going cardiff and back to milford course he said no bit off a cheek looking back....was only 16 didnt know any different...

sailorman1949
29th June 2012, 10:46
Had all the jokes on there played SKY HOOKS ..STRIPED PAINT ...ETC I remember just about to sail from gulf 1 berth milford on a friday afternoon i went up and asked daisy could i go home for the weekend and rejoin on monday was only going cardiff and back to milford course he said no bit off a cheek looking back....was only 16 didnt know any different...

Hi Dean,
I remember your name from the Cableman, i used to relieve Daisy on there until he retired in 73, then i took over the ship until 1997 when Fishers took the compnay over.

sailorman1949
29th June 2012, 10:50
Where is Boss Hogg senior these days. We were both Supers at the same time when he started at Milford when Ken Watson retired.

Sebe

John is retired and living in Milford Haven, still going strong last time i spoke to him.
Dennis Smith ex rockies.

DEAN NOCK
29th June 2012, 13:08
Hi Dean,
I remember your name from the Cableman, i used to relieve Daisy on there until he retired in 73, then i took over the ship until 1997 when Fishers took the compnay over.

Yes remember well Dennis ..winters morning in milford 7/12/1990 i walked up to sign on as a nervous first tripper with you,hard to believe over 20 yr ago..

martinmcdonough
29th June 2012, 18:15
hj dennis, last job i was on with you was the stellaman ex apache i think it was bought from the germans, she was a lube oil carrier ,bob was the mate always wore a cap on deck,i paid off on an esso berth in ithe thames, as ususal in the middle of nowhere,then she was getting ready to go to the meddi, so i missed a good trip that time,however it was my last trip i left and went offshore where i still am regards
martin mcdonough

sailorman1949
29th June 2012, 21:57
Hi Martin
I remember you on the Stellaman, i was on here until 2002 when she was re-crewed with Poles not long later she was sold to a russian outfit, Bob (the hat) was the mate and the chief was Gordon Mitchell or Ian Shields, Gordon got made redundant fron fishers last year, he had bowel cancer not long after and is recovering at the moment, i am going to ring him over the weekend to see how he is doing. Nice to here from you again I am on the Solway Fisher running into Aberdeen a lot gfive me a shout if your in there when we are.

Dennis

DEAN NOCK
5th July 2012, 01:45
Best trip with Rowbothams had to be Guidesman!Easy deck layout nice cabins..Captain Suter...Ian moreton Mate...Bob hamilton2nd...Terry Purcell Cook...Bert and Terry AB,s ..Joined plymouth april 91, did fawley, falmouth ,cowes, plymouth for 3 month then just about to pay off orders for Milford~ Belfast got relieved by my old school friend and gravesend mate Craig High in my home port of Milford on a hot June day went on leave a month before my 17th birthday good days...

DEAN NOCK
5th July 2012, 02:01
hj dennis, last job i was on with you was the stellaman ex apache i think it was bought from the germans, she was a lube oil carrier ,bob was the mate always wore a cap on deck,i paid off on an esso berth in ithe thames, as ususal in the middle of nowhere,then she was getting ready to go to the meddi, so i missed a good trip that time,however it was my last trip i left and went offshore where i still am regards
martin mcdonough

Tried offshore Martin did Anchor Handling with klyne tugs and SMS that was ok but Standby never again two trips with sealion out of Aberdeen and Montrose had a mayday wave through wheelhouse window stormy january night 1996 not that really put me off but 28 days next to a rig and no drink not for me mate.....

derekhore
5th July 2012, 09:32
Best trip with Rowbothams had to be Guidesman!Easy deck layout nice cabins..Captain Suter...Ian moreton Mate...Bob hamilton2nd...Terry Purcell Cook...Bert and Terry AB,s ..Joined plymouth april 91, did fawley, falmouth ,cowes, plymouth for 3 month then just about to pay off orders for Milford~ Belfast got relieved by my old school friend and gravesend mate Craig High in my home port of Milford on a hot June day went on leave a month before my 17th birthday good days...

That was the 'new' Guidesman though - not the 1000 tonner with Alec Graham as skipper!!

Falmouth / Cowes used to be a great run on the old 1000 tonners, split discharge - thought the Leadsman was a regular to Falmouth with the late Hughie Hall as skipper and Roy Stevens as mate.
Even did a trip there on the River Shannon - skipper Kevin Geoghan was totally lost after we went around Lands End, uncharted territory for that vessel, though he managed to find some good pubs as we had 48 hours in there discharging!
The Quarterman managed a good 24 hours in there as well, they wouldn't let her discharge at night due to the noise of the pumps!!
Falmouth (Greenbank) is closed now - along with many of the great coastal discharge ports - Par and Caernarvon to name a couple!

price
5th July 2012, 11:49
Hello Derek; We used to call that the "milk run", loading sometimes 5 grades at Canvey for Port Slade, Cowes, Poole and Truro. Clearing the lines between grades and ports was a problem that I won't go into here. Bruce.

derekhore
5th July 2012, 14:27
Cheers Bruce ... sadly I never got to Malpas up at Truro, missed the last trip there by a few weeks - navigating by trees and telegraph poles I was once told!

rothesian
5th July 2012, 16:22
Sorry for butting in but does anyone in Rowbothams remember a John Young, used to be mate in Moss Hutchisons.

DEAN NOCK
5th July 2012, 16:35
That was the 'new' Guidesman though - not the 1000 tonner with Alec Graham as skipper!!

Falmouth / Cowes used to be a great run on the old 1000 tonners, split discharge - thought the Leadsman was a regular to Falmouth with the late Hughie Hall as skipper and Roy Stevens as mate.
Even did a trip there on the River Shannon - skipper Kevin Geoghan was totally lost after we went around Lands End, uncharted territory for that vessel, though he managed to find some good pubs as we had 48 hours in there discharging!
The Quarterman managed a good 24 hours in there as well, they wouldn't let her discharge at night due to the noise of the pumps!!
Falmouth (Greenbank) is closed now - along with many of the great coastal discharge ports - Par and Caernarvon to name a couple!

Yes Derek was the newer Guidesman she has gone aswel now ended up in Singapore ..remember Hughie Hall sailed with him on Oilman...didnt know Greenbank closed nice run ashore to falmouth shame the way its all gone Brostrom seem to do what work is left swedish...

derekhore
7th July 2012, 08:26
Safety issues with Falmouth as the storage depot we pumped to was in the middle of a housing estate in Flushing!!
Always remember the guys who connected up using the old crane to lift the hoses - great run ashore as you say, but not long enough in port, in on one tide and out on the next!
Medina Wharf is still open in Cowes - but a long drag up the road there for a pint, though we were once alongside for 3 days during Cowes week as they didn't want us to sail due to the 'yachties' everywhere!! Before berthing we were anchored very close to 'Britannia' awaiting the tide - didn't see anyone famous though!! :(

DEAN NOCK
7th July 2012, 16:24
Safety issues with Falmouth as the storage depot we pumped to was in the middle of a housing estate in Flushing!!
Always remember the guys who connected up using the old crane to lift the hoses - great run ashore as you say, but not long enough in port, in on one tide and out on the next!
Medina Wharf is still open in Cowes - but a long drag up the road there for a pint, though we were once alongside for 3 days during Cowes week as they didn't want us to sail due to the 'yachties' everywhere!! Before berthing we were anchored very close to 'Britannia' awaiting the tide - didn't see anyone famous though!! :(

Funny i remember one fella at falmouth clearly it was BP in my time going there 91..and i also did Cowes at Cowes week but went straight in and out had a few near misses going in with yachts everywere.. I go down Calshot sometimes good view from there..

derekhore
8th July 2012, 06:47
I think it was always BP at Falmouth - then Texaco at Medina wharf, Cowes, although BP did have a smart jetty on the other side! .. never got to that one though.
Harbour Master/pilot at Cowes was Mr Henry Wrigley - and pilot boat skipper was Pat Thomas!

geoffc
31st July 2012, 09:52

Do you know what happened to Roy.I sailed with him as an AB for years on the old Leadsman, River shannon and the Guidesman.

vasco
31st July 2012, 10:17
As far as I know he retired when the STCW certs came in, nothing else has been heard, which is probably good news as Fishers keep us informed of any old hands passing away.

derekhore
2nd August 2012, 08:58
As I remember, Roy had no 'written' qualifications, but sailed as Mate on sea time & certs of service etc.
Made no difference, he was a darn good mate and made the Leadsman his own for a long time.
If I remember rightly he lived with his daughter as his wife had sadly passed away, he took it badly but carried on regardless.
I think it was Plymouth where he lived? .. no doubt someone will remember if I am wrong.

price
2nd August 2012, 09:42
Hello Derek; Yes , you are correct in your last response and he was a darn good mate, a very safe pair of hands and a good friend and shipmate. The first time I sailed with Roy, was in 1968, he was Capt. of the Bridgeman, he had relieved Alex Graham on sick leave, I relieved Roy as Mate until he in turn took his leave and I relieved him as master with Willie Nevens as mate, I stayed there as master until Alex returned nearly 3 months later, I think that Roy joined the Tillerman as mate though I am not sure. Roy was very capable in command it was a pity that he couldn't continue as Master, but, times were changing and the writing was on the wall for many. Bruce.

derekhore
2nd August 2012, 09:46
Hi Bruce ...

Roy was Mate on the Tillerman a few times when I first joined her, I think he relieved Mick Scanlon during my first trip as 2nd Mate - then I sailed with Roy on the Leadsman as 2nd mate relieving mate before taking on the Tillerman for good with Kenny Plummer as the other Mate.
Never sailed with Roy as Capt ... he was always mate then, having the Leadsman as his own for many years.

Sebe
2nd August 2012, 13:16
I echo everything you all say about Roy, an excellent Mate and shipmate. Roy was mate on the Leadsmen when I relieved John Marsden as master at Malpas for my first trip in that position. I will never forget his comments after a very fast early morning berthing at Canvey, current assisted, which was to say the least, very interesting. Roy was a mind of information and advice that was available, if asked for, for any novice skipper.
On one occasion, while talking to Keith Barnet, I suggested that he gave Roy more study leave. His reply was that every time Roy was paid study leave, he produced another child but no certificate......

Sebe

derekhore
4th August 2012, 07:55
John Marsden from Garstang ... now there was a Captain ... sadly no longer with us.

Joe w
4th August 2012, 08:44
Does anyone remember a guy who worked for Rowbottoms called Pete Holdstock believe he finished up as Master with them, may have gone over with the vessel when they were taken over.
I lost touch with Pete who was a good mate as I went oversea's.
We sailed together on UTC and he joined Rowbottoms after leaving them.

derekhore
4th August 2012, 09:09
I sailed with Pete Holdstock a couple of times, possibly once on the Tillerman - I think he was mate for quite a while on the Quarterman, running Milford to Carrickfergus.

No idea what happened to him in the end though!

vasco
4th August 2012, 11:04
Pete was working for Fishers until retiring recently for personal reasons.

Joe w
6th August 2012, 08:47
Pete was working for Fishers until retiring recently for personal reasons.

Thanks Vasco for the info. Pete did ring my folks house a number of years ago but wasn't in the UK and lost touch with him.
Would dearly love to catch up with him again so hopefully someone who see this site may be in touch with him.

price
6th August 2012, 18:16
John Marsden was mate with me in the Chartsman in 1970, it might have been his first trip in Rowbothams? he was another good shipmate, always cheerful and good at his job. John was with Common Bros. before he joined Rowbothams. Bruce.

derekhore
6th August 2012, 19:55
John was the regular Captain on the Tillerman with Rusty Buchan around the Western Isles when we took over the run for BP from the Guidesman.
He then took on the new Oilman which took the run off the Tillerman and was still with her when I left Rowbothams.
I last saw in Bridport back in 1989 at the wedding of an ex Class 5 Tim Kelly. He later became Godfather to their son but sadly passed away a few years later.
Hopefully this link will work for you showing John at Tims wedding

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/40659_1467858988812_5483019_n.jpg

price
7th August 2012, 07:34
Hello Derek, Thanks for the photo of John, still smiling, as I remember him.
Rusty and John together on the Tillerman, must have been a good pair, Rusty, another unforgettable character. Bruce.

derekhore
7th August 2012, 07:43
They were both fantastic on the Island run, happiest ship I have ever been on with a great crew as well!

Rusty retired during our BP charter and was scheduled to do one final trip, but the powers to be in the office deemed it would be unwise for him to say farewell around the West Coast, so his 'swansong' trip never materialised!!
He left Rockies and worked for a while on the Channel Island equivalent to Trinity House vessels in those days - then ended up delivering motor cruises to clients from the Channel Islands to the UK.
I had a call from him one morning, he was on his way to Plymouth deliver a millionaires boat to Sutton Marina, would I care to join him for lunch!! Daft question!!
We wined & dined in some fancy restaurant at the yacht owners expense and retired to the cruiser for a few whiskies.
Sadly, that was the last I saw of Rusty as he passed away about 6 months later - I had a long letter from his Danish wife, Merita, telling me all about his last months. She had gone through his papers and found all my letters to him over the years and thought I should know.

John & Rusty were 2 special guys ... sadly missed by a lot of people.

sailorman1949
16th August 2012, 21:56
Does anyone remember a guy who worked for Rowbottoms called Pete Holdstock believe he finished up as Master with them, may have gone over with the vessel when they were taken over.
I lost touch with Pete who was a good mate as I went oversea's.
We sailed together on UTC and he joined Rowbottoms after leaving them.

Hi Peter came over to Fishers when the took over P&O 1987, He left Fishers a couple of years ago dont know what he is doing now but he lives up near Scotch Corner with his 2nd Wife.

Dennis Smith

sailorman1949
16th August 2012, 22:03
They were both fantastic on the Island run, happiest ship I have ever been on with a great crew as well!

Rusty retired during our BP charter and was scheduled to do one final trip, but the powers to be in the office deemed it would be unwise for him to say farewell around the West Coast, so his 'swansong' trip never materialised!!
He left Rockies and worked for a while on the Channel Island equivalent to Trinity House vessels in those days - then ended up delivering motor cruises to clients from the Channel Islands to the UK.
I had a call from him one morning, he was on his way to Plymouth deliver a millionaires boat to Sutton Marina, would I care to join him for lunch!! Daft question!!
We wined & dined in some fancy restaurant at the yacht owners expense and retired to the cruiser for a few whiskies.
Sadly, that was the last I saw of Rusty as he passed away about 6 months later - I had a long letter from his Danish wife, Merita, telling me all about his last months. She had gone through his papers and found all my letters to him over the years and thought I should know.

John & Rusty were 2 special guys ... sadly missed by a lot of people.

Hi Derek
John and Rusty were both "one offs"I sailed with both of them as 2nd mate and Mate, always remember Rusty always wore his uniform, it really impressed the "ladies" in the pub in wisbech, old Tillerman used to run there a lot.
When i was mate i got a bollocking from John Marsden for turning in after we loaded and not having a post load drink !. as i say both one offs and sadly missed.

Dennis

derekhore
17th August 2012, 09:02
Many people seem to have the same type of memories Dennis!

Rusty first joined the Tillerman in Falmouth when we took over the island run from the Guidesman - he replaced Alan Everett.
I wondered what had hit us when this guy approached the old girl in full uniform, cap included - once he was aboard and we sailed ... we soon found out what a cracking guy Rusty was and never looked back!

btw .... can anyone confirm that the pub just across the road from the oil berth at Wisbech was called 'The Shipwright Arms'?
It used to have a lifebelt from the Guidesman hanging in the bar, pool table in the back room .... and would open just about anytime when someone wanted a drink!
Sadly it appears to have gone now and become a normal home - but just wondered what the name was!

willincity
13th November 2012, 11:19
I have heard through a former Rowbotham Master and then again yesterday from an ex-superintendent that Chris Ford passed away earlier this month; he had been recently working in Nigeria although apparently was at home on leave.
Chris was 2/0 and mate with me in the chemical ships in the early eighties and then transferred to the clean oil fleet after all the chemical ships were sold off.
A very nice guy and extremely conscious, I’m only guessing but I think he would have only been in his mid to late fifties.

derekhore
13th November 2012, 11:24
Sad news indeed - the name doesn't ring any bells with me I'm afraid, though I didn't have much to do with the chemical fleet, only doing a couple of trips on that side.

ianian
14th November 2012, 15:07
I have heard through a former Rowbotham Master and then again yesterday from an ex-superintendent that Chris Ford passed away earlier this month; he had been recently working in Nigeria although apparently was at home on leave.
Chris was 2/0 and mate with me in the chemical ships in the early eighties and then transferred to the clean oil fleet after all the chemical ships were sold off.
A very nice guy and extremely conscious, I’m only guessing but I think he would have only been in his mid to late fifties.

I am very sorry to hear about Chris , as you say, a very nice guy, I sailed with him several times my sincere condolences to his family, it would appear that only the good die young, maybe I have been a bad boy, I wish his family well.

Kind Regards

Ianian (Ian Shields ex Chief of Orionman amongst others)

sailorman1949
4th December 2012, 23:26
Many people seem to have the same type of memories Dennis!

Rusty first joined the Tillerman in Falmouth when we took over the island run from the Guidesman - he replaced Alan Everett.
I wondered what had hit us when this guy approached the old girl in full uniform, cap included - once he was aboard and we sailed ... we soon found out what a cracking guy Rusty was and never looked back!

btw .... can anyone confirm that the pub just across the road from the oil berth at Wisbech was called 'The Shipwright Arms'?
It used to have a lifebelt from the Guidesman hanging in the bar, pool table in the back room .... and would open just about anytime when someone wanted a drink!
Sadly it appears to have gone now and become a normal home - but just wondered what the name was!

I think your right about the name Derek Shipwrights Arms sounds familiar. i am sure if the landlord was turned in, you could go in have a drink and leave the money behind the bar.. Happy Days

sailorman1949
4th December 2012, 23:29
I am very sorry to hear about Chris , as you say, a very nice guy, I sailed with him several times my sincere condolences to his family, it would appear that only the good die young, maybe I have been a bad boy, I wish his family well.

Kind Regards

Ianian (Ian Shields ex Chief of Orionman amongst others)

very sorry to here about Chris, he was a good mate who later became master i sailed with him on the Tankerman, he will be sadly missed. Sincere condolences to his family.

Dennis Smith (master ex Rockies now with Fishers)

Boss Hogg Jr
28th December 2012, 13:30

and before John Phillips it was Ken Watson.....

Boss Hogg Jr
28th December 2012, 13:37
John is retired and living in Milford Haven, still going strong last time i spoke to him.
Dennis Smith ex rockies.

Very well - I was with Mum & Dad just before Christmas at my daughters wedding in Lamphey (where Ken Watson used to live)...

All well, though he never did make mayor ;o)

derekhore
28th December 2012, 13:38
No doubt there was a sigh of relief all around Milford!! :)

Boss Hogg Jr
28th December 2012, 13:44
martin mcdonough
Nice boat - came from Atlantic Rhederei FW Joch in Germany, they are sadly no longer with us either.... I remember doing the Apache, the Comanche and the Sioux, usually at Queens Dock, Swansea... The Stellaman (82) went to Greeks (Starlady I think), and was declassed in 2009 and has been at Piraeus for the last 2 years doing nothing I suspect.

Boss Hogg Jr
28th December 2012, 13:45
Derek - are you ever not on here.... This is my first time in ages...

derekhore
28th December 2012, 13:47
Derek - are you ever not on here.... This is my first time in ages...

Once a day to see if anyone has been posting! Got an email alert to say you had just done so.

Had a long chat with Mike Cotton on Xmas Day (c/e Tillerman, Wheelsman) - he was waiting for a call from Bryan Porter when I left him!

Boss Hogg Jr
28th December 2012, 13:52
John Marsden from Garstang ... now there was a Captain ... sadly no longer with us.
I remember John Marsden fondly too....

Boss Hogg Jr
28th December 2012, 13:54
Hello Derek, Thanks for the photo of John, still smiling, as I remember him.
Rusty and John together on the Tillerman, must have been a good pair, Rusty, another unforgettable character. Bruce.
Nightmare for the agent!!!

Boss Hogg Jr
28th December 2012, 13:56
Once a day to see if anyone has been posting! Got an email alert to say you had just done so.

Had a long chat with Mike Cotton on Xmas Day (c/e Tillerman, Wheelsman) - he was waiting for a call from Bryan Porter when I left him!
Seriously - last I heard of Brian P he was in Gibraltar but that was years ago. Pass my regards to Mike if you speak to him, always worth a visit to see C/Eng when he was on board the Wheelsman... pay respects etc...

derekhore
28th December 2012, 13:58
Seriously - last I heard of Brian P he was in Gibraltar but that was years ago. Pass my regards to Mike if you speak to him, always worth a visit to see C/Eng when he was on board the Wheelsman... pay respects etc...

Will do, we speak a couple of times a year as Mike doesn't do emails!!

I gather Bryan is into cycling, that was what Mike said anyway!! Mike is 75 now so he might be losing the plot a bit!! :)

Boss Hogg Jr
28th December 2012, 14:05
Hi Derek
John and Rusty were both "one offs"I sailed with both of them as 2nd mate and Mate, always remember Rusty always wore his uniform, it really impressed the "ladies" in the pub in wisbech, old Tillerman used to run there a lot.
When i was mate i got a bollocking from John Marsden for turning in after we loaded and not having a post load drink !. as i say both one offs and sadly missed.

Dennis

One of my first mistakes as an agent was to tell Alex Graham (Gulf No3 - Leadsman) that Rusty was on the Rudderman (Gulf No1) and offer to drive him over and walk him down... Big Bollocking later from Boss Hogg Snr as both were delayed sailing (let's leave it as that)...

All wonderful characters to have known, and spent time with and all sadly missed. I remarried last year and we had a 'Murder Mystery' the night before with a character of Ships Captain written for my Dad, looked the part in uniform again... may try and find a photo

derekhore
28th December 2012, 14:07
Brill!!

He hasn't really changed at all, still easily recognisable!!

Pass my best regards onto him next time you speak.

Boss Hogg Jr
28th December 2012, 14:07
Chris was later master on the Stellaman (82) with Dennis Smith I think....

granty
28th December 2012, 14:58
Good Day Gents
Just to let you know that the TexacoDepot at Portslade has ceased trading the last Vessel was a few weeks ago
Happy New Year to all
Regards
Granty

derekhore
28th December 2012, 20:01
Bryan Porter passes his best wishes onto Boss Hog snr and also to Dennis Smith

sailorman1949
29th December 2012, 15:35

Hi Derek,Nice to hear Bryan is still active pass on my best wishes to him and mike cotton if you are in touch with them hope you had a good christmas

Dennis Smith

derekhore
17th January 2013, 17:47
I have been asked by an ex-Tillerman person (Tim Kelly) if anyone has a picture of the Tilley on the old Esso berths at Milford Haven?

On the rare occasions that we had to load on the outside berths, the chicksan booms were so large they had to be connected across the deck on the outboard side .. and this person reckons to have seen a photo or 2 of her in this position!

If anyone knows about such pictures - could they let me know? ... thanks

CVF
22nd January 2013, 16:15
My first unofficial seatrip (5 weeks)was from the Isle of Grain to Portslade on the Anchorman,then on to Hamble and Guernsey in the summer of 62.We heard that Marylin Monroe had passed away going up the Orwell, it started my 47 years at sea.
The rolling at anchor off Shoreham with the gasoil smell convinced me to go for larger ships... What happened to the Anchorman?

The Captain was an excellent shiphandler as I remember climbing over the bow as he swung off the berth. My running back with his paper wasn't fast enough!
Crispin

price
23rd January 2013, 09:31
Hello Crispin; The Anchorman was a little bit before my time with the company, she remained in the Rowbotham fleet until 1983, mostly on Shell Time Charter? so had little contact with other vessels in the company, very few crew changes, a popular ship. Vince Wrotny was probably mate at the time you were there. She had a number of names with different owners until being stranded and subsequently abandoned in 1997.
Bruce.

Jon Whitford
18th February 2013, 13:00
Hi Derek, Just discovered you and all the ex Rowbotham bloggers, so many old friends out there.
I was a Class 5 trainee the same year as Tim Kelly and sailed with you & Mike Cotton on the Wheelsman circa 1984. I I think I was the only class 5 to make Master before I left for pastures new.
I am now working as a Pilot in Southampton for ABP.
I can also add a little to the Sad news about the death of Chris Ford. Chris had been working for Whitaker Tankers in Lisbon, but with the Kids leaving home wanted a Job closer to home and had just taken a job as master on the sand dredger Norstone, I piloted Chris inwards to Marchwood Quay last April and we had a lovely catch up chat. That was the last time I saw him, next time I piloted Norstone I was told he was sick with liver trouble, and was then told recently he passed away at the start of December.
Jon

derekhore
18th February 2013, 16:20
Hi Jon ...

Yes, I remember you - and the name of Chris Ford rings a bell but I don't think I ever met him.
I still keep in touch with Tim Kelly, he has been working abroad a lot for Exxon but is due to be at home in Bridport a lot more soon, so hope to catch up with him.
Mike Cotton & myself keep in touch - and I email Bryan Porter from time to time.
Sadly more & more names eem to be struck off the old crew list as time goes by ... good to hear you are still fit & working though!!

All the best
Derek

Jon Whitford
20th February 2013, 20:03
Hi Derek, nice to hear back from you, a few others I come accross from time to time Colin Farmer mate on the Whitonia in Southampton & Gary Holmes also mate with Whitakers, Terry Hitchins Marine Super up in Hull. Also Paul Mercer is master with Red Funnel & Rodney Burnet is still around, he helps out driving the mission bus & ship visiting. Keith Line Ex C/E Echoman long since retired by still going strong.
Last October I piloted Steersman with Andy Shenton in command outwards from Fawley. The last vessel with a Rowbotham name in the Fisher Fleet and sadly shes gone now, sold recently to new owners.
Bryan Porter interviewed me for the Class Five scheme in the old Farnborough Office, back in 79. Remember me to him when next in contact.
Regards Jon

derekhore
24th February 2013, 11:48
Paul Mercer I think was mate on the Orionman when I was on her in 1980, Rodders was the Master then.
Andy Shenton I knew by name only from the Hullgate fleet.

And then we have Colin!! - we sailed many times together on the Tillerman, please remember me to him if you cross paths again, great guy although every port he had to phone home to check on his Mrs!!
Fond memories of Colin, ask him about his anchorage time in Lamlash Bay!! - or the time we almost missed the tide in Cowes when the 'Silver Fox' -Trevor Hill was Master - and Colin decided to drop the anchor just off the Medina Wharf berth as we sailed, due to his inebriated state! Pilot Henry Rowntree was not amused!

vasco
24th February 2013, 22:25
Last October I piloted Steersman with Andy Shenton in command outwards from Fawley. The last vessel with a Rowbotham name in the Fisher Fleet and sadly shes gone now, sold recently to new owners.
Regards Jon

Yes, I was on it when we handed it over to the Panamanians she is keeping her name and will be used for bunkering at Pan Can

Jon Whitford
6th April 2013, 18:35
Hi Derek, will pass on your best when next I see Colin, shock of my life the other day boarded large Eukor Car Carrier at the Nab tower, to be greeted by north sea pilot one Captain Ian Pinney. Jon

ianian
7th April 2013, 13:31
Yes, I was on it when we handed it over to the Panamanians she is keeping her name and will be used for bunkering at Pan Can

I seem to remember Andy Shenton is dead with bowel cancer, a few years ago. looks like somebody got there Masters mixed up!!!!

Ianian

derekhore
8th April 2013, 11:26
Hi Derek, will pass on your best when next I see Colin, shock of my life the other day boarded large Eukor Car Carrier at the Nab tower, to be greeted by north sea pilot one Captain Ian Pinney. Jon

Ian is good friends with Tim Kelly - both originate from the Bridport area!

I will tell Tim you came across Ian.

Tim Kelly
8th April 2013, 11:42
Hello Derek and Jon,
It's rare I visit this site... I should do so more often!

Jon, I can imagine the shock seeing Ian in that role! Long time no hear... I don't have an email address for you... are you on Face Book or Linked In?

I'm in PNG at the moment, home in May...

Boss Hogg Jr
12th April 2013, 08:59

But not Boss Hogg Jr... sad sad sad.... ;o)

Boss Hogg Jr
12th April 2013, 09:04
Sadly I also thought Andy Shenton had passed away - used to make model railway engines from white metal kits..... smoked HEAVILY

derekhore
12th April 2013, 09:05
But not Boss Hogg Jr... sad sad sad.... ;o)

LOL!! You are going back to last year - things might have changed now!!

Bigmig0
14th April 2013, 21:49
Hello everyone,
I served with Rowbothams from 1983 till 1988 starting as a class iv trainee on the Pointsman. I remember some of the names but sadly time has taken its toll on my memory. Still have my discharge book so can try and fill some of the gaps. I was regular 2nd mate on one of the chemical tankers, maybe the astraman but i'm not sure? during 1988 before leaving for Texaco Overseas Tankships and the Texaco Windsor.

willincity
14th April 2013, 22:07
It is with great saddness that I add to this thread the news that Captain Ian Storey passed away this afternoon at 1620 hours 14th April 2013 at his home on the I of M, he was 62 year old.
Ian was an indentured apprentice with BP in 1966 and stayed there until joining Esso coasters in 1974.
Ian wanted to remain on the coast and Rowbothams were offering 6 weeks on 4 weeks off so when he joined the Centaurman in 1976 as 2nd Mate in the Tees, he was a very happy chap............ good leave, a new coastal chemical ship and fine wages ……………………… 30 days later we were in Mexico. Mr Porter forgot to tell him that part of the deal.

His first command was the little Oarsman in about 1982, regretfully he had to retied out of Rowbothams on medical grounds in 1994 after serving his last 2 years on-board the Tillerman.

I will add to this post about funeral arrangements later into the week.

Rest in Peace Ian, my thoughts are with his wife Chrissie and their son Stewart.

derekhore
15th April 2013, 07:17
Many thanks for that - another of the old Rocky crowd sails into the sunset.

I don't think I ever met Ian, I know I did not sail with him - but I did of course know his name within the fleet.
I will contact C/E Mike Cotton this evening to pass on the news as Mike knew more personnel throughout the fleet than me.

Regardless of all that, please pass on the condolences of an ex-Rocky man to Ian's family - it is always sad news to here of our fellow seafarers passing on.

Derek.

Sebe
15th April 2013, 11:10
Please pass on the my condolences to Ian's family. He was the Mate and an excellent shipmate with me on the Vegaman, but declined to go to Mexico and was replaced by cuddly Dudley, so it is a surprise to hear he went there on the Centaurman.

ColinB

ianian
15th April 2013, 12:36
Hi All,
Very sad to hear of Ian's passing ,a good bloke, my condolences to his family at this unhappy time.

Ian Shields

derekhore
15th April 2013, 19:58
Just rung Mike Cotton and passed on the news - he was, for the first time ever I reckon, speechless, as Ian only rung him on Saturday for a chat!
Mike is going to ring Bryan Porter now ... as Ian Storey only rung Mike to ask for Bryan's number - strange coincidences indeed.

Sebe
16th April 2013, 14:00
Derek - where is Brian Porter these days?

derekhore
16th April 2013, 17:27
Derek - where is Brian Porter these days?

To be honest I'm not sure!

He does a lot of walking and Cycling + did the London Marathon back in 2009 I think.

Will try to find out more!

DEAN NOCK
16th April 2013, 21:53
Hello everyone,
I served with Rowbothams from 1983 till 1988 starting as a class iv trainee on the Pointsman. I remember some of the names but sadly time has taken its toll on my memory. Still have my discharge book so can try and fill some of the gaps. I was regular 2nd mate on one of the chemical tankers, maybe the astraman but i'm not sure? during 1988 before leaving for Texaco Overseas Tankships and the Texaco Windsor.

CRIKEY!!The Astraman to the mighty Texaco Windsor bit of a difference in size there Bigmig..

Mike Boyle
17th April 2013, 17:36
Sad news about Ian Storey, a fine Master, helped me take the leap from Tillerman mate to Master, a sad loss.

Bigmig0
20th April 2013, 21:17
CRIKEY!!The Astraman to the mighty Texaco Windsor bit of a difference in size there Bigmig..

Yes it was and the Master kept a close eye on me for a while. Don't know what he thought we used to get up to on coasters!

northseatiger
22nd April 2013, 20:02
I remember some of the names on here was bosun on steersman 1969 daisy was master joined astraman bosun 1970 albert dock hull new ship then,capt white was the master did about 7 months on it payed off like a zombie as no one on deck had less then 100 hrs a week overtime.river lea about 4 years was on it when it changed chartsman to river lea

northseatiger
22nd April 2013, 21:13
I remember some of the names on here was bosun on steersman 1969 daisy was master joined astraman bosun 1970 albert dock hull new ship then,capt white was the master did about 7 months on it payed off like a zombie as no one on deck had less then 100 hrs a week overtime.river lea about 4 years was on it when it changed chartsman to river lea
Dave Coates

saltybobuk
24th April 2013, 19:18
I was at the launch of Helmsman in 1971, cochranes of selby. Does anyone on this thread have a video of it, as there was many camera crews filming.
Cheers Bob

PJW
26th April 2013, 20:24
Terry
Really sad news to hear about the "Storeyman". He was a great bloke and will be sadly missed.
Peter

Jon Whitford
3rd May 2013, 12:02
So sad to hear news about Ian, I was relief mate on Tillerman (Duncan Roberts was regular) and I will always remember Ian in his big leather armchair holding court in his day room. One only needed to poke your head round the door and in that soft lilting voice of his he would say' och are you coming in for a beer, your very welcome' a real gentleman and fine shipmate R.I.P.

Jon

northseatiger
3rd May 2013, 13:31
Duncan Roberts big Duncan was mate on river lea when i was bosun on it great guy last saw him at mingming he was on tillerman then, brought me a case of beer over I was on the blackfriars bowker and king at the time about 1990

derekhore
7th May 2013, 16:04
That must have been the 'new' Tillerman!

I relieved Duncan as 2nd mate on the Rudderman in Poole, my first trip on the coast after deep sea!
Trevor Hill was the Mate and George Thompson the Skipper
Later relieved him again as Mate on the same ship a few years later, Kenny MacDonald was Skipper then (Isle of Harris man)

northseatiger
7th May 2013, 18:17
Dave Coate-Yes it was, big ship.George Thompson was he from Belfast or Derry he was relief skipper on river lea broke my cabin door open in limerick thought i had a bird aboard, (not that time though)Trevor Hill was skipper on the lea for a short time while i was there.

DEAN NOCK
7th May 2013, 21:34
That must have been the 'new' Tillerman!

I relieved Duncan as 2nd mate on the Rudderman in Poole, my first trip on the coast after deep sea!
Trevor Hill was the Mate and George Thompson the Skipper
Later relieved him again as Mate on the same ship a few years later, Kenny MacDonald was Skipper then (Isle of Harris man)

Yes the new Tillerman was an ex Thuntank ship about 11,000 tonne was quite big for Rowbothams i went aboard once in Pembroke, i believe its still going in Lagos as 'LEO'thats were the Cableman ended up ''now scrapped'' and the Echoman and Tankerman are both there now..

Boss Hogg Jr
17th June 2013, 10:08
Am just about to call Graham Westgarth - Head at INTERTANKO and new Chief Operating Officer at GasLog (LIvanos LNG operation) having been previously at Teekay and Maersk since leaving Rowbothams around the time the chemical fleet was shelved...

Anyway that's all from Singapore for now....

Boss Hogg Jr
17th June 2013, 10:49
Yes the new Tillerman was an ex Thuntank ship about 11,000 tonne was quite big for Rowbothams i went aboard once in Pembroke, i believe its still going in Lagos as 'LEO'thats were the Cableman ended up ''now scrapped'' and the Echoman and Tankerman are both there now..
Quick update on this.... of these 'Larger' vessels:

Echoman went first as the Vivaldi to Jakobsen and then later as the Azyruth in Sept 2005 ended up in Nigeria (active)

Cableman (Lough Fisher) went in June 2005 to West Africa as the Webecotanker and is now the Sea Ray in Cote d'Ivoire but has been idle since the end of last year - perhaps scrapped....

Tankerman went in March 2008 as the Royal Priesthood and is in Nigeria (active)

Tillerman (I first knew as the Thuntank 2 doing agency on her, built as the Inga, a sister to the Ilse and Isabell I think). Isabell later became United Tiger and Akleja then Athena and operated in the Mediterranean no-heat trades with ex River Shannon (Skopelos). The Ilse became United Terrier, Celtic Terrier and now Khalifa and is trading, yes you guessed it, in Nigeria. I managed to attend agency on Isabell under three names (Isabell, United Tiger and Akleja). She went in to Tarntank Rederei AS as the Azalea and later became the Zalea for some interesting Indian Ocean operators before ending up in Nigeria as the Leo under Vegas International SarL. I always liked the vessel, she was rugged and reliable.

Interestingly, towards the end of their days the Humbergate and the Rudderman ended up in the same Nigerian company....

Enough for now - back to work....

DEAN NOCK
24th June 2013, 01:47
Quick update on this.... of these 'Larger' vessels:

Echoman went first as the Vivaldi to Jakobsen and then later as the Azyruth in Sept 2005 ended up in Nigeria (active)

Cableman (Lough Fisher) went in June 2005 to West Africa as the Webecotanker and is now the Sea Ray in Cote d'Ivoire but has been idle since the end of last year - perhaps scrapped....

Tankerman went in March 2008 as the Royal Priesthood and is in Nigeria (active)

Tillerman (I first knew as the Thuntank 2 doing agency on her, built as the Inga, a sister to the Ilse and Isabell I think). Isabell later became United Tiger and Akleja then Athena and operated in the Mediterranean no-heat trades with ex River Shannon (Skopelos). The Ilse became United Terrier, Celtic Terrier and now Khalifa and is trading, yes you guessed it, in Nigeria. I managed to attend agency on Isabell under three names (Isabell, United Tiger and Akleja). She went in to Tarntank Rederei AS as the Azalea and later became the Zalea for some interesting Indian Ocean operators before ending up in Nigeria as the Leo under Vegas International SarL. I always liked the vessel, she was rugged and reliable.

Interestingly, towards the end of their days the Humbergate and the Rudderman ended up in the same Nigerian company....

Enough for now - back to work....

as i said then..

derekhore
2nd July 2013, 16:49
Echoman was a handy vessel - sailed a few times on her after the 'real' Tillerman was sold .. with Jo Wilson as mate and John Bates as Master.

Great runs of Immingham - Saltend with naptha!