Arco Arun

david smith
27th April 2005, 12:04
The modern Arco Arun departing Ipswich 27/04/05

hendy
27th April 2005, 15:50
Hi David,where did you take this photo from? Is that Harwich in the background?
Cheers K

hendy
27th April 2005, 16:00
According to AIS Live she is dredging offshore from Great Yarmouth.

david smith
27th April 2005, 16:29
The picture was taken from the viewing point at Languard this morning (27th April) and that is Harwich behind . You are correct, at 1530 she was off Great Yarmouth.

sandman
14th June 2005, 23:48
The arco arun,was rebuilt after she struck an underwater object and sank off of greenhithe in 2000,she was salvaged by smit tak.

Mick quinn
2nd March 2006, 21:50
Does anybody else admit to being an old "ARCO" MAN? I served on the Arco Severn in 1975/6 dredging mostly off Great Yarmouth but also up the "River" taking cargoes to mostly France and Belgium. She was a good ship, fairly new and the overtime was enormous, I earned much more in overtime than basic (although don't tell the missus that!) There was also cargo bonuses in those days, for an AB I was quite a rich man. Worked 6 weeks on, 1 week off for a while but then changed to 2 weeks on, 1 week off when back in UK waters. The Company had a quay in Southampton at one stage and we helped bring the aggregate in for what is now the M27 motorway and the new bridge which replaced the old chain ferry.

Served on the Arco Dart for a very short spell, not sorry to leave her very unhappy ship and very old. Dredged mostly in the Solent/Channel off Littlehampton and ran into South Coast ports.

sam2182sw
2nd March 2006, 21:57
i was the repair manager of her when she came to our yard after she had been salvaged what a mess she was in hvery thing had to come off and be renewed just every thing them down to the tyne for dry docking for shell repairs {under tow}after that towed back to great yarmouth to be fitted she did more miles under tow up and down the coast dead ship.

sandman
3rd March 2006, 16:32
Hi mick I was with arc/hanson from 1990 when they took over my company from bristol,my last ship as bosun was the arco severn,I had to leave the company in 2002 when the wife suddenly passed away.

tom nicholson
4th March 2006, 15:39
i was steel foreman on one of the arco boats at wallsend drydocks a few years ago the super i believe was called tom who had been around a bit and he took us to the cleaners what a clever man he was.
cheers tom (*))

sandman
4th March 2006, 16:02
i was steel foreman on one of the arco boats at wallsend drydocks a few years ago the super i believe was called tom who had been around a bit and he took us to the cleaners what a clever man he was.
cheers tom (*))

Tom was the super for the arco severn/tyne/thames,he retired some years ago now,I was in wallsend drydock with the arco severn,we were having our tank tops replaced in the forward pump room and some double bottoms replaced,tom was super then. (Applause)

tabnab44
26th November 2006, 03:06
Ay Sandman ! were you on the ARCO SEVERN while she was out in Portugal ?
She had about 7 weeks laid alongside ...it was terrible never known a trip like it I hear she's dredging down the GULF now .By the way there are some great Merchant Navy Car Stickers on ebay now ....and if you havent worked out who I am check this out ..it should remind you...(Cloud)

excadet
14th December 2006, 22:47
Served in Arco Scheldt, and a few others in 76-77, places visited Roscoff,
Shoreham, Silvertown, Marine Parade Southampton, Drydock in Falmouth,
Felixtowe, Vlissingen, and many others, had propeller trouble as well.

peter barc
30th December 2006, 23:07
I was on the portuguese campaign with the arco severn and arco dart also i remember the proppellor damage on the severn, bye the way tab-nab who are you ?????

peter
porto-pete----

tabnab44
16th February 2007, 15:26
Well Peter..... as they say in the LITTLE BRITAIN series... "I'M A LADY"...
I could have been the 2nd Mate or more likely the cook ...
for sercurity reasons I have to remain enonumouse ... (Read)

awateah2
16th February 2007, 15:53
I sailed with them before they were ARCO in fact before they were AMEY. Originally owned by Paul Penfold from the Barnham area. They were the 'Leryn' & 'Lantyan' ex empire 'Gloucester' Colliers became 'Pen Arun' and 'Pen Adur'. 'Pen Itchen'ex Shell Mex tanker 'Ben Hebden', 'Pen Dart' ex 'Sand Dart' and the 'Pen Avon' built at Appledore

peter barc
16th February 2007, 22:57
Tabnab.
I hav,nt got a bloody clue, come on who are you ???? man or woman or what

Peter..

theaskew
9th January 2008, 19:14
I sailed with Arco Marine.On the Scheldt.Thames.Tyne,Severn
Dee.also on the Cambrae.Joined the Dee new in Rotterdam.
A week on the Humber (Laid up) Spent most of my time on
the Dee,was with the company nine years.
Regards Artie

stoneleigh
11th January 2008, 16:49
Does anybody else admit to being an old "ARCO" MAN? I served on the Arco Severn in 1975/6 dredging mostly off Great Yarmouth but also up the "River" taking cargoes to mostly France and Belgium. She was a good ship, fairly new and the overtime was enormous, I earned much more in overtime than basic (although don't tell the missus that!) There was also cargo bonuses in those days, for an AB I was quite a rich man. Worked 6 weeks on, 1 week off for a while but then changed to 2 weeks on, 1 week off when back in UK waters. The Company had a quay in Southampton at one stage and we helped bring the aggregate in for what is now the M27 motorway and the new bridge which replaced the old chain ferry.

Served on the Arco Dart for a very short spell, not sorry to leave her very unhappy ship and very old. Dredged mostly in the Solent/Channel off Littlehampton and ran into South Coast ports.

Is this the Arco Dart built in 1990 you are talking about-Not as old as the Arco Severn surely?/

hobgoblin
21st March 2008, 15:11
Hi i done short time in arco severn about 1977 skipper came from padstow i think, then from january 1978 till november 1980 was in arco test visiting such hot spots!!!!! as cowes,portsmouth,bedhampton,littlehampton,portslad e,newhaven,dover,whitstable,river stour . Then january1981 joined arco thames left september1981(Pint)

Jacktar1
21st March 2008, 16:10
Hi rock dodger..............I was relief master on the Amey 1 in 1973 dredging mainly in the Solent and discharging in Dover, Newhaven, Southampton and Shoreham. I believe that she was later renamed Arco Thames, Cheers Glan

awateah2
21st March 2008, 16:44
Was Bob Lake the regular Master that time ? and is he still with us ? Regards

Jacktar1
22nd March 2008, 17:18
Hello awateah2.....yes, Bob Lake was the regular Master at that time, I left and went to another company, J.J.Riley and served aboard the "Stone Marshall", lost contact with Bob Lake....Cheers.....Glan

Abbeywood.
3rd September 2009, 18:01
Ay Sandman ! were you on the ARCO SEVERN while she was out in Portugal ?
She had about 7 weeks laid alongside ...it was terrible never known a trip like it I hear she's dredging down the GULF now .By the way there are some great Merchant Navy Car Stickers on ebay now ....and if you havent worked out who I am check this out ..it should remind you...(Cloud)

Dont what was so bad about the Aviero patrol.? The 'Severn' managed to get in about six weeks work before pulling up that old 36mm wire round her prop'
spent the next seven weeks either in drydock or afloat, minus a prop'
New blades fitted by shore labour, assisted by the CE Robbie Kerrison and the the super'
Sailed , loaded, and took the load to Vianna de Castello, and then came back to the UK. Not a very nice passage across the Bay as the ship was restricted to less than 60 miles from the coast.

billyboy
4th September 2009, 00:05
I sailed with them before they were ARCO in fact before they were AMEY. Originally owned by Paul Penfold from the Barnham area. They were the 'Leryn' & 'Lantyan' ex empire 'Gloucester' Colliers became 'Pen Arun' and 'Pen Adur'. 'Pen Itchen'ex Shell Mex tanker 'Ben Hebden', 'Pen Dart' ex 'Sand Dart' and the 'Pen Avon' built at Appledore

I had about three weeks on the Pen Adur in 1965. My father was mate at that time Ian

Abbeywood.
4th September 2009, 06:32
The 'Arco Severn' was laying alongside the US Army base pontoon at Hythe,
on Southampton Water earlier this year. Can't remember the date but she was apparently in working order, (well the lights were on), she stayed there for about a week, before she disappeared, horizontally.
All the dredging gear seemed to be in place.
Sailing under a short name beginning with 'A', about five letters, which escapes me at the moment, will try harder. !
Best wishes to the 'Sandman' and 'tabnab44'. I know who you are.

Gorhol
5th September 2009, 01:25
Current name for the vessel is 'ACHUS-1'. It would be interesting to know the reason for her visit to the UK.

Regards
Gor

Stevie B
10th September 2009, 19:44
It wasn't the old Arco Severn, it was the old Arco Thames now call the Thames and working around the South and East coasts

Abbeywood.
11th September 2009, 06:32
It wasn't the old Arco Severn, it was the old Arco Thames now call the Thames and working around the South and East coasts

Sorry, but I think you are wrong.
The Arco Thames suffered a massive engine failure in 2002 (?) and was sold.
Unless someone,(persons), had an excessive amount of money to burn, I think it highly unlikely that, considering her age, the ship would have been re-engined, at great expense, apart from having to bring all other systems up to date with modern standards. I am led to believe that she was broken-up.
I stand by my claim. It was the Arco Severn.(now Achus-1)

Stevie B
11th September 2009, 11:53
Sorry, but I think you are wrong.
The Arco Thames suffered a massive engine failure in 2002 (?) and was sold.
Unless someone,(persons), had an excessive amount of money to burn, I think it highly unlikely that, considering her age, the ship would have been re-engined, at great expense, apart from having to bring all other systems up to date with modern standards. I am led to believe that she was broken-up.
I stand by my claim. It was the Arco Severn.(now Achus-1)

Sorry you are wrong, the old Arco Thames is back working in the UK as the Thames. You are right about the engine, it was the crank that went. She went to Portugul as the Pelicano and was bought in 2007 by a company on the South Coast, the engine had gone again, crank once more, that was replaced, she was refitted, bought up to class, and has been working since July last year. She has been to Hythe 3 times because there is an engineering company there that did work/repairs on her.

How do I know all this ??, because I am the Master of the ship.

Look on shipspotting.com, search Arco Thames and you will find loads of photo's of her running up the River Thames and Harwich.

The Achus 1 went to Saudi and as not been back to the UK since.

Abbeywood.
13th September 2009, 07:02
Sorry you are wrong, the old Arco Thames is back working in the UK as the Thames. You are right about the engine, it was the crank that went. She went to Portugul as the Pelicano and was bought in 2007 by a company on the South Coast, the engine had gone again, crank once more, that was replaced, she was refitted, bought up to class, and has been working since July last year. She has been to Hythe 3 times because there is an engineering company there that did work/repairs on her.

How do I know all this ??, because I am the Master of the ship.

Look on shipspotting.com, search Arco Thames and you will find loads of photo's of her running up the River Thames and Harwich.

The Achus 1 went to Saudi and as not been back to the UK since.

Stevie B, I must therefore bow to superior knowledge. Please accept my apologies. But I would add that I was sure the ship I saw had only one cargo
chute gantry whereas the Thames had, and probably still has, two.
Apart from that, the general outline of the two ships were very similar.
Thanks for the further info. Happy dredging.

Stevie B
13th September 2009, 17:51
Stevie B, I must therefore bow to superior knowledge. Please accept my apologies. But I would add that I was sure the ship I saw had only one cargo
chute gantry whereas the Thames had, and probably still has, two.
Apart from that, the general outline of the two ships were very similar.
Thanks for the further info. Happy dredging.

Thats ok, the Thames does if fact have the 3 goalposts has we call them, I do remember one time at Hythe that we had work done on the chute and the welders had blue plastic sheets up on the chute to protect them from rain, so that may well of hidden the goalposts a bit ?

Apart from the goalposts and the accomodation being one deck less and of course the Severn being shorter they , as you say were very similar.

tabnab44
26th October 2009, 14:17
Well as far as I'm concerned the Arco Severn was a far better looking ship than the Arco Thames ... and a better looking crew! ..On a sliding scale of 0 to 10 I would rate the Thames as a piddly 4 and the Severn as a handsome 10 .. Stevie B are you an ex arco man?[=P]

manolito_1
26th October 2009, 14:31
The modern Arco Arun departing Ipswich 27/04/05

Here in Newhaven our regular visitor is the Arco Dee.Does she bring aggregate up from Southampton?
regards manolito

Stevie B
26th October 2009, 16:59
Well as far as I'm concerned the Arco Severn was a far better looking ship than the Arco Thames ... and a better looking crew! ..On a sliding scale of 0 to 10 I would rate the Thames as a piddly 4 and the Severn as a handsome 10 .. Stevie B are you an ex arco man?[=P]

The Severn better looking ??, Never (==D) !!.

Yes, ex- Arco, was on the Yar, Test, Trent, Scheldt, Severn, Thames, Tyne, Avon and Arun, left before the Axe and Adur came out

ROBERT HENDERSON
26th October 2009, 17:31
Do any of you Arco men remember a master by the name of Charles Locke, an ex Everards Master.

Regards Robert

Jacktar1
26th October 2009, 18:04
Stevie B......see that you were on the 'Arco Thames", I was on the 'Amey 1', believe she was later renamed 'Arco Thames', was it the same one ?
Cheers.....Glan

Stevie B
26th October 2009, 19:33
Stevie B......see that you were on the 'Arco Thames", I was on the 'Amey 1', believe she was later renamed 'Arco Thames', was it the same one ?
Cheers.....Glan

The Amey 1 was the Arco Test or Trent, the Amey 3 became the Arco Scheldt.
The Arco Thames was named that from launch, she is now about on the South Coast called the Thames, I work on her now.

Stevie B
26th October 2009, 19:34
Do any of you Arco men remember a master by the name of Charles Locke, an ex Everards Master.

Regards Robert

I sailed with Charlie on the Arco Tyne, he was a right so and so !!!!!!!!

KEITH SEVILLE
26th October 2009, 20:18
Abbeywood

Arco Severn is now called Achus 1 under Honduras Flag.
Ship Managers and Owners are Al Namal Group, Manama, Bahrain.
This according to Equasis.

Regards
Keith

Steve Woodward
26th October 2009, 22:14
Quite a popular ship there are a number of images of her on SN HERE (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=422902)

Jacktar1
28th October 2009, 04:04
Anyone sail with a master named Bob Lake ?

Stevie B
28th October 2009, 12:38
Anyone sail with a master named Bob Lake ?

Yes I sailed with Bob on the Arco Trent, very nice man, got on well with him.

granty
28th October 2009, 13:21
good morning stevi B
is that all you got to do play with your computer all day
while your ship is getting busier & busier
granty

Stevie B
28th October 2009, 13:25
good morning stevi B
is that all you got to do play with your computer all day
while your ship is getting busier & busier
granty

Is that so ?, don't look like you got much else to do either !!

awateah2
28th October 2009, 13:45
Yes I sailed with Bob on the Arco Trent, very nice man, got on well with him.

Sailed with Bob as Mate in 'Pen Avon' & 'Pen Adur' late 60's. I believe he lived in Brighton.Is he still around ? Regards

Stevie B
28th October 2009, 13:57
Sailed with Bob as Mate in 'Pen Avon' & 'Pen Adur' late 60's. I believe he lived in Brighton.Is he still around ? Regards

Dont know for sure, but think he died a few years ago.

tabnab44
7th November 2009, 16:46
The "MAGNIFICENT SEVERN" as she was fondly known ..she's a legend !

sandman
7th November 2009, 20:18
stevie has the thames still got the dart board in the crew's mess??

Stevie B
8th November 2009, 10:50
stevie has the thames still got the dart board in the crew's mess??

No, long since gone, wasn't onboard when we got on the ship in Spain.

Although it has been mentioned about getting one.

Abbeywood.
10th November 2009, 06:24
With only nine crew, ' No job to big, none too small'
The impossible we achieved, miracles took a little longer, unlike the playboys in the bigger ships.
I did a supernumery 'fill-in' on the 'Thames' for her tour of Southampton Docks after the first engine explosion. No 6 con-rod hanging out of what remained of the crankcase doorway. Very decorative.

Nice to see your posting, Sandman. and for what its worth, the dart-board was still there during the shift to Burnley Wharf.
I hesitate to suggest the obvious.

hughesy
10th November 2009, 07:19
Was Arco's offices in Manningtree Essex?
I was on the Pen Avon the captians name was Clive this would be around 1972,
and they had a ship called the Pen Stord also, don't remeber any of the crew from that ship, but was on the Pen Avon as a DHU. Jack Parkinson from Hull was cook and his brother Stan was the mate for a little while.

all the best(Thumb)
Hughesy

JKB
11th November 2009, 09:48
Tom was the super for the arco severn/tyne/thames,he retired some years ago now,I was in wallsend drydock with the arco severn,we were having our tank tops replaced in the forward pump room and some double bottoms replaced,tom was super then. (Applause)

I'm desperately trying to think what Tommy's second name was. We knew him as Two Bob Tommy due to his reluctance to pay for anything on his ships :o

I also remember a Superintendent Engineer called Mike Smith who died some years ago, he could be a firebrand when things weren't going well but he was a good engineer and I always found him a decent bloke.

Abbeywood.
11th November 2009, 12:37
To Keith Seville; greetings and many belated thanks for your info' on the 'Severn, I searched for her via AIS Persian Gulf site but didn't spot her among the myriads of tankers.
Have a photo' of her entering Grand Harbour, Malta but not quite able to read the port of registry. Studying a map of Honduras, a likely candidate could be San Lorenzo, on the west coast. The number of letters seem to fit.

To JKB, greetings also, I remember the Super' on the Severn at Wallsend, i.e.Tom, but likewise, his surname won't come to mind, but I'll work on it. Bet someone else arrives at it before hand tho'
The BV Surveyor, at Wallsend, was also and ex-ARC man and had sailed on the Severn in the early 90's. Again, I can't recall his name.

Abbeywood.
11th November 2009, 13:03
To Keith Seville: greetings and a belated thanks for your info on the Arco Severn. A colleague sent me a pic' of the ship entering the Grand Harbour at Malta, en route to the Middle East. However I am unable to read the Port of Registry but your info' led me to study a map of Honduras and a possibility could be San Lorenzo, on the Pacific coast. The number of letters seems about right. Again many thanks.

To JKB, greeting; also; I too remember Tom, the Super' you're thinking of, and likewise, his surname escapes me, but I'll work at it. Maybe A.N.Other will beatb us both to it.
At that time, the BV Surveyor on the ship, was an ex-ARC man, and had sailed in the ship in the early 90's.
Tom was a bit surprised that I was on such good terms with the surveyor. but it did'nt cut any ice tho.

Abbeywood.
19th January 2010, 10:54
Does anybody know the whereabouts of the Achus 1, the former Hanson dredger 'Arco Severn', sold out of their fleet in 2002.
The last info' to hand, is that she was under the ownership of a Bahraini company although she is apparently registered under the Honduras flag, as of 2008. with San Lorenzo as her port of registry.
I have attempted to find her thru' the AIS network, to no avail, which leads me to ponder the possibility that she may have been re-named, or been otherwise disposed ofl.

KEITH SEVILLE
22nd January 2010, 15:49
Abbeywood

I have been checking Equasis and their records updated 11th December 2009 still show Achus 1 Owned by Al Namal Group, PO Box 1713, Manama, Bahrain under the Honduras Flag.
So I can only assume by that she is still in service.

Regards
Keith

chadburn
22nd January 2010, 18:50
Arco Beck is at A&P on the Tees at the moment

peter potts
17th February 2010, 21:45
Arco Arun in dock tees passed her today 17 2 10

peter potts
22nd February 2010, 22:44
Arco Beck just been pulled out no. 2 dry dock [tees ] today where she.s been layed up a few months. Dont know if they getting her operational again now lying outside on wharf

iwben
12th May 2010, 22:08
hi, couldnt say which arco vessel it was but one of them that was broken up had a slice of the stern end, through the accomodation and engine room, used as a work of art somewhere in london on the thames, dont know if it is still there now but thought it was a good idea for art and far more attractive than half the stuff in the tate modern.

ben

stoneleigh
13th May 2010, 00:06
Not really an Arco Arun matter but the question was under that heading.:-The 'Work of Art on the Thames' was by the Millenium Dome site, and was I believe, a section of the Arco Trent of Sizewell fame!
There is a photo of it in this state on one of the internet shipping photo sites.
I will run a check tomorrow to ascertain it was'nt from the Test.

stoneleigh
13th May 2010, 00:36
To save you the suspense of waiting until tomorrow;- I have just done a swift check on 'ships nostalgia' pages, and confirm the photo. is of a section from the Arco Trent. This was some years back, moored off Sizewell for considerable periods during its building & pumping ballast ashore into a lagoon.

Stevie B
13th May 2010, 12:29
To save you the suspense of waiting until tomorrow;- I have just done a swift check on 'ships nostalgia' pages, and confirm the photo. is of a section from the Arco Trent. This was some years back, moored off Sizewell for considerable periods during its building & pumping ballast ashore into a lagoon.

Ah, the Sizewell job, I was on the Trent for that, oh what fun, either stuck on the buoys for 2 weeks then crew change in a RIB and run up on the beach or at anchor in Harwich for 2 weeks because it was to windy, oh what fun we had !!!!!

Stevie B
13th May 2010, 16:11
Here's a couple of pictures of what's left of the Arco Trent, taken a couple of years ago.

Abbeywood.
23rd May 2010, 06:34
hi, couldnt say which arco vessel it was but one of them that was broken up had a slice of the stern end, through the accomodation and engine room, used as a work of art somewhere in london on the thames, dont know if it is still there now but thought it was a good idea for art and far more attractive than half the stuff in the tate modern.

ben

The ship I think you're on about is the stern section of the 'Arco Trent' which was positioned beside the Millenium Dome. God only knows what for.! as by any stretch of the imagination 'Art it is not'.
Dont know if it is still there.

Abbeywood.
9th August 2012, 15:13
January 2010.

Have been checking the various sources and links but so far, have not been able to find any mention of the Arco SevernAchus 1in any shape or form in the Arabian Gulf area.
As the ship will have now entered its fiftieth year I fear that the Grim Reaper with a gas-axe has had his wicked way.
Unless you know different of course

Bob S
12th August 2012, 15:23
Fiftieth year? built 1974.

According to the info here, she is still alive & well

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=115680

Regards

Bob

Abbeywood.
13th August 2012, 12:37
Fiftieth year? built 1974.

According to the info here, she is still alive & well

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=115680

Regards

Bob

OK Bob,
My mistake (Seems as though I have'nt got enough fingers), so let's amend that to fortieth, (or there abouts). after all, I only spent 21 years in her, but thanks for the added info'.
I will try and do better.
A'wood.

Steve Hurley
28th April 2013, 22:38
Hi All
was the marine super Tom Stewart and the BV Surveyor Dave Reed/Reid
if so they were both Ex Civil & Marine men.

Abbeywood.
10th April 2014, 13:15
Arco Severn / Achus-1.
After many months of searching, and thanks to 'Tabnab44', I am now aware that the 'Severn' is alive and well and still operational, in the Persian Gulf, under the name 'Achus-1'.
She has appeared on the AIS system web-site and was anchored off the port of Hidd, near to Bahraini capital Al-Manamah, this very morning before heaving up shortly after midnight and heading out to the dredging grounds.
From a previous posting I have used all my fingers and it seems that she is now 41 years old, or thereabouts, and has oulived all her contempories.
She apparently now operates as a pump-ashore discharger.
On the AIS site I also noted that the ex-RMC ship 'Sand Weaver' is working in the same area, under Bahraini ownership.
Regards to all
Pete'

billyboy
10th April 2014, 14:42
From what I heard this evening Arco boats are not doing so well.
Arco Dart is running ok. The rest are broken down. Ones thrown a piston through the crankcase