Memorable coastal characters

forthbridge
8th January 2008, 02:14
Not sure what started me thinking about this but spent some time coasting on various ships and the same memorable characters seemed to be there regularly. People like Alf Carnie the Chief Off , my first memory of him just after I joined the company was when he had the first trip cadets preparing the smoke room on saturday evening for the captains church service on the following sunday,At the time he he had just been investigated by special branch for a letter that he had sent to the archbishop (or ar**ebishop as he called him) of Canterbury, or the Broon who seemed to have a cadet on stand by for the local bookie's all the time. There was Foggie Robbie who seemed to carry his own personal fog patch around on all the ships where he sailed as master, there was Big john as Chief and many more. Does any one else have memories of these?

Alistair Spence
8th January 2008, 22:01
was the Broon an engineer ? I seem to remember a huge guy called the "Broon" on the Bencruachan for a couple of trips, he was a Geordie, but that was in the mid seventies. Haven't a clue what his real name is.

EBenarty
8th January 2008, 22:51
Hi Alistair,
The Broon was a Chief Officer. Great man and loved his betting and many the day I spent running back and fore to the Bookies for him. But he was some character I remember him in the Smoke Room of the Bennevis singing Rosie with a mop over his head !! He was bald but in 1966 he loved the One Man Band. - Great Character !!

john fraser
8th January 2008, 23:03
The Broon always borrowed a boy rating or cadet to get off at the locks anywhere in the UK,to run with his bets to the bookies in case he missed a race.Often wore the Ben Line tie.tied round his waist.I was with Alf Carnie when he wrote a letter about the killing of a policeman in London,would this be the one that went to the Archbishop.Alf could also speak fluent Arabic but quite often when using another language,for fun.he would break into the Doric.in the middle of the conversation

EBenarty
8th January 2008, 23:08
Not sure what started me thinking about this but spent some time coasting on various ships and the same memorable characters seemed to be there regularly. People like Alf Carnie the Chief Off , my first memory of him just after I joined the company was when he had the first trip cadets preparing the smoke room on saturday evening for the captains church service on the following sunday,At the time he he had just been investigated by special branch for a letter that he had sent to the archbishop (or ar**ebishop as he called him) of Canterbury, or the Broon who seemed to have a cadet on stand by for the local bookie's all the time. There was Foggie Robbie who seemed to carry his own personal fog patch around on all the ships where he sailed as master, there was Big john as Chief and many more. Does any one else have memories of these?

Aye I remember Alf well and he called the Arch bishop in a bit stronger terms Arch Bishop of C**terbury. He loved his dram and beer !! The Broon I also kent weel !! Foggy Robbie as you say fog followed him around the coast,I remember being anchored of the Humber with him for 2 days waiting for fog to clear - he did not trust radar!(Jester)

captkenn
9th January 2008, 00:02
Capt Bob Herron was a great character with Everards. He had his own Zoo on the ship. Piglets in the after lazarette, Hens on the shelves in the focsle and a dog, a cat and budgies in his cabin.
The Hens were on the shelves which were covered with chicken wire. In the focsle were the open chain lockers and coming up to anchor at Par we dropped it and were promptly covered in pieces of chicken and feathers as they were dragged up through the pipe. The door had come open. He was not amused at all.

EBenarty
9th January 2008, 00:30
Aye I remember some of the coast crew includinng the ones you mentioned
Capt. Plenderleith,Ch. Eng. Willie Gillfillan, Roddy McSween -Bosun, Wille
Cowie-AB, Sandy Niven AB, Joe Niven AB, Dutchie Ch. Steward, Willie Mcgregor - Bosun, Dalzeil - Chippy and Willie Mcgreegor (the wee beast from Thurso) -Bosun.

Ali Bain
9th January 2008, 13:12
"Big John as chief" wonder if that would be Big bad John Donaldson or John Gillon? Sailed with them both, one of them was a character right enough..!!!!
Regards-Ali. Bain.

price
9th January 2008, 13:34
Capt Bob Herron was a great character with Everards. He had his own Zoo on the ship. Piglets in the after lazarette, Hens on the shelves in the focsle and a dog, a cat and budgies in his cabin.
The Hens were on the shelves which were covered with chicken wire. In the focsle were the open chain lockers and coming up to anchor at Par we dropped it and were promptly covered in pieces of chicken and feathers as they were dragged up through the pipe. The door had come open. He was not amused at all.

Hi Ken,
Happy New Year to you. That was on one of the Chants, I remember it well, but forget which Chant it was.

Cheers Bruce

captkenn
9th January 2008, 14:57
Hi Ken,
Happy New Year to you. That was on one of the Chants, I remember it well, but forget which Chant it was. Cheers Bruce

Yes that's right Bruce. It was a grey Tanker Chant (Coastal & Harbour Auxilliary Naval Transport) - the Averity. She and her sister the Auspicity both often visited Par around 1960/1. Happy New Year to you and yours.

forthbridge
9th January 2008, 22:11
"Big John as chief" wonder if that would be Big bad John Donaldson or John Gillon? Sailed with them both, one of them was a character right enough..!!!!
Regards-Ali. Bain.

Was Big bad John Donaldson I was thinking of

fitlike
26th January 2008, 17:23
I remember Willie Broon and Sandy Niven when I joined my first Ship Benattow in 1975 in Germany

wully farquhar
27th January 2008, 22:55
Did a couple o' trips with Joe Niven aboard the Loyal,Joe belonged to Shetland but lived in Aberdeen,he used to cut up old nylon pennants from the back springs and crochie nylon rugs with the clean strands of nylon,very nice they were,anyone know if Joe is still with us?

backsplice
28th January 2008, 01:07
Foggie Robb .yesI remember him well did a coast on the Benalbanach also a Tom Goodlad (AB) from Peterhead did the same coast then again on the Benstac that was 71 but there were a lot of worthies around in them days ????

peteratow
1st February 2008, 21:52
Did a couple o' trips with Joe Niven aboard the Loyal,Joe belonged to Shetland but lived in Aberdeen,he used to cut up old nylon pennants from the back springs and crochie nylon rugs with the clean strands of nylon,very nice they were,anyone know if Joe is still with us?

Joe moved back to Shetland about a couple of years ago and now lives in a village called Levenwick. All his family (3 sons) also settled in Shetland.

EBenarty
1st February 2008, 23:12

Aye Wully,
He showed me his stuff ( with a few beers )but I never manged his grade which was a bit to do!!!

am011k5786
11th May 2009, 23:33
Mostly deck.Hughie Burns,Tam McEwan,Donald McKinnon,all (bosuns)Davy Bruce,Jackie Mcdonald,Jimmy Shanks,Jimmy Sutherland,Charlie Martin,(ABs)Flett, Dennison(carp's)and loads more. A Macdonald. G/night