Uniforms Holts Mutual

R651400
8th January 2008, 07:13
I've just put a mention of Holts Mutual, Hamilton Square, Birkenhead in another thread and wonder if anyone can throw some more light on them.
On joining BF I was gifted via Holts Mutual with braid, epaulettes and uniform buttons

railroadbill
9th January 2008, 17:46
I remember them having a little shack in 1970 near Vittoria Dock, Birkenhead.
They also had a shop in Liverpool opposite Albert Dock or near to it.

R651400
13th January 2008, 07:56
Thanks railroadbill.
Just noticed in the "India Buildings" thread that Odyssey works had blue painted vans with HMBS (Holts Mutual Benefit Society) on them so there must be a direct BF connection with the uniform shop in Birkenhead. I recall it was near Hamilton Square underground station.

Steve Birkenhead
18th January 2008, 21:45
There was a shop to the left of Oddyssey Works nicknamed "Ali Baba's" where you would get kitted up with your sea school gear. I remember the "Green River" knife and spike every deck boy had in Bluey's.

Succour
24th September 2008, 12:59
After digging around some old Cardboard boxes.

I discovered my Old Blue Funnel Cap,....not that Ginger Beers used them much......maybe weddings and photo's for Mum. The Deck lads used them when on watch in port, Cabin Inspections etc. There was also a white cover that is now yellow. I have attached a couple of pics, one of the inside of the cap clearly showing the words 'Holts Mutual Benefit Society' Circa 1968 from that same Ali Baba's in Birkenhead. Ah Nostalgia...!

Cheers lads.

Succour.

BillH
24th September 2008, 13:14
Thanks railroadbill.
Just noticed in the "India Buildings" thread that Odyssey works had blue painted vans with HMBS (Holts Mutual Benefit Society) on them so there must be a direct BF connection with the uniform shop in Birkenhead. I recall it was near Hamilton Square underground station.
From Companies House website search

Holts Mutual Benefit Society
Company No. IP09184R was dissolved 11 November 2000

For further information contact
Public Records section
Financial Services Authority
25, North Colonnade
Canary Wharf
LONDON
E14 5HS

jimmys
24th September 2008, 14:13
I had one just like that the cap is gone but I have the badge. This is me wearing it in 1964, I think on the Menestheus in the Meddy. Not much of the ship to see. All uniform from Holts Mutual, Birkenhead
A long time ago.

regards
jimmy

jimmys
24th September 2008, 20:00
A better view of the cap. Just ignore the nut under it.

This is the ship I think the Menestheus. I am not sure where, discharging into barges etc.

What a fine looking ship, perfect funnel size. Look at the bow shape and plenty of sheer ford and aft. She could lift from anywhere on the deck.

Just an absolute beauty.

regards
jimmy

holland25
24th September 2008, 22:43
When I joined BF in 1957 I got a chit for a cap badge and some buttons from Holts Mutual.From memory the shop was near Hamilton Square?? and you went down some steps, it wasn't a very big shop. I didn't like the cap badge and stuck with the standard MN. Another form of cap badge was a "Bombay Spreader", which had a lot more gold braid and very popular.

R651400
25th September 2008, 17:03
Holland25 my recollections are exactly as yours. Hamilton Square and down steps into what I remember as being a fairly large shop. AH cap badge, sleeve braid, epaulettes and buttons all on the BF tab.

Succour
1st October 2008, 08:17
Jimmys,
you are spot on...lovely lines.
digging old boxes for more Bluey stuff.

Succour.

Bill Davies
1st October 2008, 09:33

This is the ship I think the Menestheus. I am not sure where, discharging into barges etc.

What a fine looking ship, perfect funnel size. Look at the bow shape and plenty of sheer ford and aft. She could lift from anywhere on the deck.

Just an absolute beauty.

regards
jimmy

The BF attraction is a difficult thing to explain and more so with those of us who actually sailed in them (a mere 6 years of a 50 year carreer in my case).
However, whenever I arrived in a port where a 'China boat' was berthed I always made enquiries as to who was in 'the crowd'. Later, 69 onwards, rarely came across them except that well known silhouette when one came over the horizon. It must have been a Jesuit mentality (Give me a boy..............)

DURANGO
1st October 2008, 16:31
Holland25 my recollections are exactly as yours. Hamilton Square and down steps into what I remember as being a fairly large shop. AH cap badge, sleeve braid, epaulettes and buttons all on the BF tab.
I was told that Blue Funnel cadets had to have their trouser pockets sew up so that they could not stand about with hands in pockets was this true .

rothesian
1st October 2008, 19:59
definately NOT true - there had to be somewhere to keep the snotties hankies. Despite this the approved list of clothing still had pithe helmets and mosquito nets in 1964(Thumb)

Pat Hughes
2nd October 2008, 09:44
Did the term 'Snotty' (Middie) have its origins in the RN, or was it a BF or similar company thing.

Peter Martin
2nd October 2008, 15:35
Did the term 'Snotty' (Middie) have its origins in the RN, or was it a BF or similar company thing.
FRom the RN. An affectation on the part of BF though. RN used to have Cadets which were even lower than middies; their badge of office was a circle of brass buttons around the cuff of the jacket. These were supposed to stop the young gentlemen wiping their noses on the cuffs of their uniform. Hence the name 'snotties'.

Graham McMorine
3rd October 2008, 20:31

Just an absolute beauty.

regards
jimmy

What a great picture, M boats were the best ships. Looks as tho` she could be in Port Swettenham. Regards to all, not long now to retirement, yippeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Bill Davies
3rd October 2008, 21:26
What a great picture, M boats were the best ships. Looks as tho` she could be in Port Swettenham. Regards to all, not long now to retirement, yippeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Graham,

In what way were the 'M' boats the best. I was offered one as 4th Mate late 61 but declined and went elsewhere.

Bill

Graham McMorine
5th October 2008, 13:17
Graham,

In what way were the 'M' boats the best. I was offered one as 4th Mate late 61 but declined and went elsewhere.

Bill

Hi Bill,
purely a self opinionated / biased statement by me. I loved the two trips on the "M" that I did , particularly when the accomodation was converted from passenger to crew quarters. I ended up with a huge front facing cabin with a large glass window which was great when opened when it was hot.
She had a happy crew of lads that all got on well together, which , as you will well know, makes or breaks a ship. Regards, Gra(Thumb) (Thumb)

Bill Davies
5th October 2008, 18:03
Graham,
Thanks your response.
I understand fully. The 'Ms' were just around when I left and we all were interested in these McGregor Hatches so I walked around one or two out East. In my time the whole fleet carried passengers As, Ds and Ms carrying 12and the 'P' and 'H' class carrying 32/33. The passenger accomodation was sumptious and I imagine it was well accepted by all when depassengerised.

R651400
6th October 2008, 11:34
I understand BF were given permission to uniquely use the RN title of midshipman after their cadets manned the landing craft during the WWI Gallipoli landings.

Pat Hughes
7th October 2008, 10:18
I understand BF were given permission to uniquely use the RN title of midshipman after their cadets manned the landing craft during the WWI Gallipoli landings.

Thanks for that.

R651400
7th October 2008, 11:59
Thanks for that.
Pat, I can only quote what I heard while serving with BF and have paged the oracle to substantiate same without success.
Perhaps other ex Blue Funnellers may wish to comment.

Pat Hughes
10th October 2008, 10:05
Pat, I can only quote what I heard while serving with BF and have paged the oracle to substantiate same without success.
Perhaps other ex Blue Funnellers may wish to comment.

You must be right! Historically the BF crowd do not let grass grow under their feet and I am sure you would have been corrected ny now.

R651400
11th October 2008, 10:30
You must be right! Historically the BF crowd do not let grass grow under their feet and I am sure you would have been corrected ny now.
No takers Pat so if what I heard was true, very courageous young men indeed, an accolade well deserved.