Palm Line chit chat

Christopher Roberts
9th January 2008, 13:38
Whats happened to the Palm Line forum - all has gone quite this year. Has it been moved elsewhere?

Peter (Pat) Baker
9th January 2008, 14:10
I'm still around but never hear from anybody from my time with
Palm Line (1955 - 1957)
I did sail with George Brand in the Gambia Palm 1955 and 1956.

Peter (Pat) Baker.

cacique
9th January 2008, 19:51
Yes, it's gone very quiet.

Waiting to hear if there is any move on a reunion, I seem to remember that Matty Roberts was trying to Contact Johnny Woolam.

Kind Regards (and watching this space), David Wilson.

mattyr
13th January 2008, 19:38
for Dave Wilson. i did contact jonny woolham but he cound not help so i wondered if you can contact alan peden and ask him to contact bernie grace and see if he can help. matty roberts

cacique
13th January 2008, 20:16
Matty, belated Happy New Year. I will drop a line to Alan to see if he can contact Bernie Grace or Ronnie Hilton. Hope all is well.
Kind Regards, David Wilson.

barrypriddis
18th January 2008, 19:09
Anybody know Billy Thompson (Chief Steward then Purser/Chief Steward) or Dennis Callaghan (Purser then Purser/Chief Steward) both from Liverpool?

ccurtis1
27th January 2008, 22:57
Everything has gone very quiet on the Palm Line front. I have a friend who was with PSNC and they hold their annual re-union in the Liverpool area, on the Packet Steamer at Netherton. Seems like very favourable rates and they do have accommodation. Anyone know of this venue? Could we possibly us this as our site? Is there still interest in a re-union? The North East gathering was very enjoyable and relatively well attended, so please lets be seeing some sort of response.

scottie dog
27th January 2008, 23:50
Sounds good to me and looking forward to it.
Sorry I have neglected this sight lately but I am being kept very busy (too busy) here in the "Deep South" hope you all had a good christmas and new year.
Colin how about another mini reunion aroun April ?
Regards to all.
Mike Scott

cacique
28th January 2008, 14:44
Followers of this thread will see that Johnny Woolam couldnīt help, Matty Roberts suggested that I contact Alan Peden to try and locate Bernie Grace and/or Ronnie Hilton (ex General Freight - our Agents in Liverpool), this I did but, up to now, no reply.

Colin's suggestion is a good one and hope something comes of it.

Mike (belated Happy New Year mate !) is suggesting another mini-reunion around April, if that gets off the ground please keep me advised, preferably with as much time as possible, to arrange flights and accommodation (and look out my Palm Line Tie !!!).

Kind Regards to All, David Wilson.

ccurtis1
28th January 2008, 15:08
Hi Mike. Would love to organise another mini re-union in the north east about April time. That will give the likes of John Morley and his colleagues in the North Sea sector to organise dates. I'll sound out Neil at Sleepers and start contacting the last attenders. Hopefully, Cliff Hutchy can fit us in to his very busy life. I like the sound of the 'Packet Steamer' in Netherton but must plead ignorance as I don't know Liverpool at all well. Happy new year belatedly to you Mike and to David in Central America.

ccurtis1
28th January 2008, 19:53
I have contacted the 'Packet Steamer' at Netherton and the venue seems to fit all of our requirements. The room cam accommodate 50 but there is a "breakout" area for a further 20 people. There is a large bar and attached restaurant. Accommodation is available for overnight stayers. The venue is at the end of the M57, or you can follow the Dock Road. My friend at PSNC has no complaints, and the venue does seem to satisfy all of our requirements. I enquired about dates:- July/August /September and there seems to be no problems about availability. So you guys, it is up to us all.
Do we want this re-union? If so, lets be hearing some input regarding dates etc.

cacique
28th January 2008, 21:34
Colin, many thanks for the information, I looked up the 'Packet Steamer' via Google and, as you say, it seems to fit the bill.

Date wise anything from July to September I have no problem with, except the week of 23-26 September when I will be attending the SMM International Trade Fair in Hamburg - first week in October would be ideal, save having to fly out there twice but, I will go along with the majority.

If a NE mini-reunion happens before that I will try my best to get across.

Kind Regards, David Wilson.

ccurtis1
28th January 2008, 22:48
Hi David, I will log you in for the first week in October. I do hope more of our ex colleagues will have some input. I'm sure the North East contingent will be very keen to attend. My sis-in-law still keeps in touch with quite a few of Palm Line kernels. George Holeyman and Chris Henderson to name but two. We are all getting that much older and it would be really nice to see old friends from way back when. I hadn't seen George Redford or Jack Richardson or Norman THompson for decades until our re-union in November. It really was a fantastic afternoon, and if the BIG re-union gathers pace, I will be as excited as a young lad at his first Christmas. Our kid would have loved this!!!

ccurtis1
28th January 2008, 22:55
Aye aye Matty, see you are on line. Belated happy new year to you and Sandra. What do you think of the maybe venue for a PL re-union. Looks pretty good to me. Any input more than welcome.
Kind regards

barrypriddis
1st February 2008, 21:30
Should there be a reunion in Liverpool, then work permitting, I will be attending.

mattyr
3rd February 2008, 14:37
hello colin. the venue sounds fine to me, all things been equal i will be there. matty roberts

ccurtis1
7th February 2008, 21:20
Well all of you Palm Line veterans, where are you ? There seems little interest in a reunion. Three ex colleagues to date have shown interest so I would guess its a little underwhelming. If the venue is unappealing, any suggestions would be up for consideration.

stan mayes
12th February 2008, 17:23
Hi Barry,
I have an idea we met in Pier Hotel Greenhithe some years ago.
I recall meeting a Palm Line cadet Peter in the pub- he was on WORCESTER at the time - Tickets?
I also remember meeting a Palm Line officer who may have been you..It could have been when you were with Everards and I had known you already in Palm Line.. I also think it was in May1977.
During 1960s/70s I worked a few ships on Greenhithe buoys.
During 1977, Palm Line chartered a Greek SILVER CLOUD and we riggers and shipwrights worked on her on 19th May and secured cargo in the holds.
We then worked all night in laying timber bedding in preparation to load three lighters next day..
In the evening we went to Pier Hotel for two hours and I think that is when I may have seen you..
Palm Line Chief Officer Maurice Cantin was Supernumary on the ship for the voyage..
We lashed the lighters next day and we all went home tired - 37 hours on the ship less 2 hours in Pier Hotel..
Can your memory take you back 30 years?
Best wishes,
Stan.

barrypriddis
17th February 2008, 04:13
Hi Stan
Spent many an evening in the Pier, and also Brown Bear, but by 1977 I rarely saw Greenhithe as I was on the Dublin, Belfast, Gothenburg run. I certainly remember Maurice Cantin. I was a new third mate when he was a senior second mate and recall that he hailed from the Seychelles. His favourit song was "kiss me once, kiss me twice, kiss me once again, it's been a long long time" which he sung in a sort of bass monotone.
Best regards
Barry

Topherjohn
17th February 2008, 11:31
Hi Stan
Spent many an evening in the Pier, and also Brown Bear, but by 1977 I rarely saw Greenhithe as I was on the Dublin, Belfast, Gothenburg run. I certainly remember Maurice Cantin. I was a new third mate when he was a senior second mate and recall that he hailed from the Seychelles. His favourit song was "kiss me once, kiss me twice, kiss me once again, it's been a long long time" which he sung in a sort of bass monotone.
Best regards
Barry
Barry
Your mention of the Seychelles reminds me of a 2/O who sailed on the Enugu Palm with me in 1964/65 called Carl Delpeche. He also hailed from the Seychelles. Did you ever meet him? He would drone interminably to our distraction a song the name of which I can't quite recall ..... Ah! yes, now I've got it, it was Quanta Romera! Perhaps this habit was hereditary for Seychellians?
Carl was in some ways a solitary but very likable character. He was a big help to me on my first West Coast voyage. The Mate incidentally was Dave Flynn who later went ashore to become a Mersey pilot.

stan mayes
17th February 2008, 12:05
Hi Barry,
I think Maurice Cantin was Swiss- French and I recall a time when he was invited to a shipping conference to assist in translating..
I also remember Carl Delpeche who Topherjohn mentions,he was definitely from Seychelles and was a very nice person..He was a Chief Officer for a while and I think he left Palm Line after about 3 years.
Dave Flynn gained command in Palm Line and he represented the Merchant Navy by laying a wreath on Remembrance Day in Whitehall London in late 1970s .
Best regards Stan

barrypriddis
18th February 2008, 00:10
Stan/John
Memory has finally given up - too many west african runs ashore no doubt! It was Carl Delpeche I was thinking of, and not Maurice Cantin.

ccurtis1
13th March 2008, 21:41
Seems like the re-union in Liverpool for ex Palm liners is a non-starter. However, we shall be holding a mini re-union in the North East in April. The last one, in October last year was very good. We hope to have more at this latest gathering

Chris Weston
30th March 2008, 19:25
Hi All
looking down through the threads there is the odd name I remember ,I was only with Palm Line for 2 years ,the long waits to enter Apapa finally saw me off .With Siemens Marine Automation service I caught up with a couple of what were new ships in Palm Line in the early 80s since they all had Siemens electrical gear, but of course they are all long gone

Topherjohn
30th March 2008, 22:47
Seems like the re-union in Liverpool for ex Palm liners is a non-starter. However, we shall be holding a mini re-union in the North East in April. The last one, in October last year was very good. We hope to have more at this latest gathering
Sorry but NE to far away for me otherwise I would have been interested. Used to live near Yarm when I was with Palm Line 1960s and working at Billingham until 1978. Hope you have a good time. Is Matty Roberts joining you?

Topherjohn
18th April 2008, 13:44
Stan/John
Memory has finally given up - too many west african runs ashore no doubt! It was Carl Delpeche I was thinking of, and not Maurice Cantin.
You can find photo of Carl and myself Enugu Palm uploaded yesterday at http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/114202 with one other Palm Line photo. Still hunting in the attic for more old photos and slides!

stan mayes
8th May 2008, 23:34
Anybody remember Kaz Wlodarczyk a Polish engineer with Palm Line 1967 to 1971? I recall two of his ships - KANO and LAGOS..
I saw Kaz in later years in Kuwaiti ships when they visited Tilbury..
Stan

Christopher Roberts
30th May 2008, 14:58
Any one out there rememember Bill Fisher 2nd Eng Palm Line in thearly 60's - this is more than likely "one" for the east coast fraternity of Palm Line as Bill hailed from South Sheilds