slow flash

michaelF
10th January 2008, 00:53
No pun intended ,
i have two identical 12 megapixel cameras ( megapix ) , both behave exactly the same way , that is when using the flash mode , instead of giving two flashes quickly to reduce red eye the second flash is about two seconds after the first flash by which time the subject as moved ,unless warned beforehand .
Very occasionally they work as they should usually on the very first flash picture .
Any thoughts on the subject ??

mike

treeve
10th January 2008, 01:34
Sounds to me like either a fault in the timer chip or perhaps more exploration of the options available for flash mode? Not heard of or can think of a purpose for flashes separated by two seconds. Usually, on the ones that I have come across, a low flash flicker to close the iris but not too much, and then the main flash to "record the 'appy scene". I take it you have checked on the FAQ section of the camera website. Best Wishes, Raymond

michaelF
10th January 2008, 01:51
Sounds to me like either a fault in the timer chip

They must both be faulty then Raymond , or of just a poor quality.

more exploration of the options available for flash mode?

Only options are on / off or automatic

I take it you have checked on the FAQ section of the camera website

Cant find megapix website.

Thanks for that , i had a suspicion it was something like that or possibly the batteries ?

mike

treeve
10th January 2008, 02:24
I can't find a 12Mp Megapix camera ... difficult to find, as megapixel has been shortened by some to megapix (philistines!), and there is an excellent camera review site by that name also. Any more info on your cameras?
Generally the battery output is controlled until it is sensed that there is only enough power left to be able to shut down safely .. then it switches off.
If the cameras had same issue chips, problems could be echoed, not impossible. The other point is perhaps that that is the way it has been designed, though I cannot see that it could be effective at all for red-eye suppression. Best way to do that then is to either keep them off the bottle :) or to use a graphics package. Raymond

michaelF
10th January 2008, 02:58
If the cameras had same issue chips, problems could be echoed, not impossible. The other point is perhaps that that is the way it has been designed, though I cannot see that it could be effective at all for red-eye suppression

Any more info on your cameras?

This is a link to the camera specs
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Megapix_V12__6269258
Raymond this isnt where i bought mine but its the same camera , these specs say there are four flash modes but both of mine have only three in setup .

mike

treeve
10th January 2008, 03:18
I would interpret its capability as 5.1Mp, in our terms.
Flash Modes: Forced mode, forced OFF, slow synchro, auto mode...
Does it describe slow synchro or auto mode as being red-eye suppression?
Does the "portrait" setting over-ride the flash and add the red-eye suppression?
I see it has been listed since 2005, rather before the 12Mp era, I feel.
A google on Megapixel v12 gives 90% German hits.
I have found a forum which covers some issues over this camera.
http://www.digicamfotos.de/index3.htm?http://forum.penum.de/showthread.php?id=22831
May be there is someone on that who could help you.
Quite right, a) I cannot find out who makes it
b) I cannot find anything other than the specification.
Sorry I cannot be of any more help, Raymond

treeve
10th January 2008, 03:26
I have just found that they are now easy-pix
http://www.easypix.eu/

michaelF
10th January 2008, 03:54
Raymond,
Flash Modes: Forced mode, forced OFF, slow synchro, auto mode

mine only has three modes on / off and auto.

It is newer than the link i provided mine are both under a year old and have slighly different spec to that one i listed .
Nowhere in the manual does it talk about red eye .
its 12 megapixel extrapolated resolution.
Ive just been trying it out now , they will flash properly if the source is well lit but not so if complete darkness, defeats the object in my opinion.
although all pictures come out in very good quality.
my German isnt up to reading their forums ?
Like you said about the chip , that will be what it is .
I will live with it , 60 for a camera , video camera with sound , and web cam cant be to bad , you only get what you pay for after all .
Thank you for your help
mike

michaelF
10th January 2008, 04:29
I see it has been listed since 2005, rather before the 12Mp era, I feel.

It is newer than the link i provided mine are both under a year old and have slighly different spec to that one i listed

Sorry Raymond just checked up i bought them in march 05 nearly three years ago , where has the time gone ?

mike

treeve
10th January 2008, 04:31
A tip ... get your subjects to slightly look to one side. It rather depends on how close you are just what it looks like. Another tip, place a reflector to one side to throw off the light balance ( a large sheet of paper, or a "white wall" or a light curtain). I feel that flash photos of faces are better taken from a mid distance and to zoom your lens or select a section of the photo for use.
The key thing is to stop a sudden squint and or eye full iris, even eyes closed.
Glad to have been of help. Raymond

michaelF
10th January 2008, 04:43
Raymond ,
you know a lot more than me about photography , im just a point and click merchant .Because with digital you can take thousands of pics and just save the good ones or edit and crop them which is what i do .
Pity digital cameras were invented too late for most of us when we were at sea .
Oh by the way used a translator for those German forums .

mike

K urgess
10th January 2008, 11:25
Sounds very much like this is a dark mode operation.
The first flash could be to compensate for a lack of light and give the camera something the focus on.
The second flash being the actual shot.

michaelF
10th January 2008, 14:55
Sounds very much like this is a dark mode operation.
The first flash could be to compensate for a lack of light and give the camera something the focus on.
The second flash being the actual shot.

Just been testing the cameras again in overcast daylight , if i take a picture with auto flash on and it uses the flash, be it two slow flashes , and then same picture with flash on , again two slow flashes . If picture does not require auto flash and then again same picture with flash , it flashes correctly.

Picture quality is very good in all circumstances , the only problem is with eight young grandchildren and using the flash they have gone by the second flash.

mike