Windows XP recovery discs.

Moulder
10th January 2008, 15:11
Hi all,

I purchased a Compaq Presario ES077AA a couple of years ago - it had Windows XP installed as the operating system. A while after opening the box and setting it all up I did notice that there were no back-up or recovery discs for Windows XP. Like a plonker I have not made any copies myself.

I am currently experiencing problems with my operating system driving a Mustek scanner that I purchased to upload my old slides. The scanner does work however, on my nephews computer and he suggests that I need to replace the Windows XP with that from a recovery disc as he thinks that problems have occured in the registry.

Is it possible that any SN member, with the knowledge, could help by sending me a set of recovery discs for Windows XP ?? Or any other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Steve.
(Thumb)

treeve
10th January 2008, 15:21
All Windows files are stored on your drive in CABS folders, you can re-install the whole shebang whenever you want. You can always make your own recovery disc which keeps all of your own settings. There is also the System Restore which can take you back to a point before any installation or changes which subsequently prove to be "dodgy". If a scanner or other hardware does not work satisfactorily it may be due to out of date driver, internal port problems, conflicts or otherwise, too many to list. Simplest way is to uninstall and to get one that does work. Your supplier should be able to advise. Best Wishes, Raymond

Gavin Gait
10th January 2008, 15:21
What you need is an original WindowsXP installation disk not someone else's recovery version as there is a BIG likelyhood that the setting will not be compatible with your machine and it may contain personal data that the person sending the disks does not realise is on there.

Do a search for WindowsXP free drivers for the scanner you have and you should be able to download the driver software for it.

Davie

K urgess
10th January 2008, 15:26
If you didn't get a copy of Windows XP with the machine then there should be a directory on a hard drive with the operating system software in it.
Normally there will be a facility with a PC to produce a set of backup system disks using a utility.
You're normally prompted to make a back up set every time you turn the machine on unless you cancel it but you should still be able to find it.
A copy of Windows XP from someone else will not work because the serial number will be different. There should be a label on the PC somewhere giving the Windows XP serial number so that you can input it if you have to re-install the system.
If the above is not the case then your only recourse is to go out and buy a copy of Windows XP Home or Media and re-install the operating system from that.
Someone else's disks will not work and will be illegal anyway.

treeve
10th January 2008, 16:40
As Kris and I have said the whole Windows system is stored on the computer compressed in CABs files. In case you are unfamilar (or anyone else reading this) on boot up, press f11 to open recovery of Windows. The delay time for either of the boot up interrupt options can be set by the user. It may be that you have to attempt this a number of times before reaching the Windows recovery menu. You will have two options (excluding the quit option); wipe of everything and restore Windows on a as factory disc; retain your personal files and restore Windows alone. Registry management is not for the timid, nor should it be done at all without good knowledge of the fact that in a simple step the whole computer can be ruined ... so a full recovery may be necessary; always make a System Restore Point before any such changes, or any new installation of software; always make a back up of the Registry before "fooling around" with it. I also advise that you make a CD for personal recovery of settings, in any case. Best Wishes, Raymond

treeve
10th January 2008, 16:45
I should add that on recovery of Windows from the CAB files, any Windows updates you have had since purchase of the computer will have to be gained again from Windows Updates.

derekhore
10th January 2008, 16:50
I would also advise that you make a copy on cd/disk .. of all personal info you may have stored on your hard drive ...letters, personal photographs, etc-etc.
It is heartbreaking to lose certain items, which is easily done when you start restoring/backing up via CAB files.
Often people forget about the simple items on a pc .. but once gone they are quite often lost forever!
The simplest of operations can often result in a corrupted folder .. and that is usually the folder containing all your sentimental info!!

treeve
10th January 2008, 16:57
Absolutely, Derek, there have been any number of postings here already, about back up and storage of data. So it does not hurt to say it again. Quis custodiat custodiem? I keep the original, a copy on laptop, a copy on each of the external drives, and a copy on CD and a copy DVD. Like the advertising slogan, "once it's gone, it's gone!" ...

Moulder
10th January 2008, 17:14
Gents,

Thanks very much for the feedback thus far - it will be passed onto my nephew and once I've plucked up the courage, we'll have a go.

Thanks again,

Steve.
(Thumb)

newda898
10th January 2008, 17:47
As Kris and I have said the whole Windows system is stored on the computer compressed in CABs files. In case you are unfamilar (or anyone else reading this) on boot up, press f11 to open recovery of Windows. The delay time for either of the boot up interrupt options can be set by the user. It may be that you have to attempt this a number of times before reaching the Windows recovery menu. You will have two options (excluding the quit option); wipe of everything and restore Windows on a as factory disc; retain your personal files and restore Windows alone. Registry management is not for the timid, nor should it be done at all without good knowledge of the fact that in a simple step the whole computer can be ruined ... so a full recovery may be necessary; always make a System Restore Point before any such changes, or any new installation of software; always make a back up of the Registry before "fooling around" with it. I also advise that you make a CD for personal recovery of settings, in any case. Best Wishes, Raymond

Just to add, the bit highlighted might vary between different manufacturers. I have a Dell and I have to tap F8 rather than F11 to get to the windows recovery console.

treeve
10th January 2008, 17:49
Thanks Daniel, now logged away in the memory banks for future use.

kottemann
10th January 2008, 18:03
Is it possible that the new scanner is a USB 2.0 device and your laptop has USB 1.0? If so you can buy a usb 2.0 card that fits into your PMCIA slot and works quite effectively. If indeed there are problems with your registry I would not go to the extreme of reformatting try downloading this http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ its free and will clean your registry.

DAVIDJM
11th January 2008, 09:53
Be very careful.

to reinstall the windows xp is a bit drastic. I think perhaps you should try and download the software for the mustek if one download dosent work, there are others you can try.

I have windows xp and a mustek 1200 UB scanner

Moulder
11th January 2008, 11:49
Thanks all - your posts have made me sit back and think and I reckon I'll steer the course of sorting out problems with the scanner drive before I attempt to alter anything with Windows XP.

Thanks again peeps.

Steve.
(Thumb)

treeve
11th January 2008, 14:46
A word of warning ... Windows Updates recommended that I update the drivers for the modem .... this I did, and not only did the modem stop working properly (continuous attempts to get online without my even wanting to), the whole computer screwed up. I had to restart twenty times, to catch that function key response, and later I have set the time delay a little longer ... luckily I had already set a Restore Point, and so got all ok again ... no amount uf uninstall and registry repair gets rid of all the extraneous matter and detritus that gets left by an installation ... it needs a hands on dig. Be careful with driver updates, they do not always work as you would expect.

JimC
13th January 2008, 14:07
A word of warning ... Windows Updates recommended that I update the drivers for the modem .... this I did, and not only did the modem stop working properly (continuous attempts to get online without my even wanting to), the whole computer screwed up. I had to restart twenty times, to catch that function key response, and later I have set the time delay a little longer ... luckily I had already set a Restore Point, and so got all ok again ... no amount uf uninstall and registry repair gets rid of all the extraneous matter and detritus that gets left by an installation ... it needs a hands on dig. Be careful with driver updates, they do not always work as you would expect.
Hi treeve and the rest of you pc geniuses! I, unfortunately am not very good at this.
MY question is: How safe is the recommended tool for combatting the latest version of the MEBROOT problem? Since the 'tool' seems to originate from Poland and all the warnings are that this new version of the virus comes from Russia - how safe will it be to down-load it?
My next is a warning about having your computer repaired by dodgy repairers. My computer along with all the others in our village was damaged by a severe lightning strike last year. It, with all the others needed a new mother board. The new board was installed by the repairer using his generic version of Windows XP Professional (the original as supplied version was Windows XP home version). The result was and still is an opening announcement that 'this version of Windows may be illegal'. Trying to correct it using the original certification number does not work. I now find I have to buy and download a new version of Windows XP Home otherwise I am not elligible to receive security updates.
I get the option 'to fix now or later'. Needless to say I choose the latter.

JIm C.

treeve
13th January 2008, 14:48
There is a precedent, historically, there is no love lost between old Russia and old Poland. They are completely different people politically. Poles Apart, you might say. The Mebroot removal tool has been recommended by the BBC. The main problem exists if you have an online banking facility (which I do not). I have a basic mistrust of pc repair man .. I will not bore you with the tales I have to tell. I do not know, in your case, just where you lie legally, but it would appear to me that you have been given an illegal copy of the Operating System - how would the legal stance be if you had been given an illegally provided engine in a motor car? Best Wishes, Raymond

kwg
13th January 2008, 19:29
If you have been hoodwinked and sold an 'illegal' copy of Windows XP by a store or trader, contact Microsoft with all the details of the sale and they might send you a genuine copy free, this is an offer they were making a few months ago.

JimC
14th January 2008, 17:46
Thanks guys! I just knew you'd come up with the XP(lantion!).(Jester)

JIm C.

JimC
14th January 2008, 17:49
I presume Mebroot 'gets in' when you open an attachment or something. If it's already in there; is there any way of knowing this apart from having all your savings nicked?

Jim C

JimC
14th January 2008, 17:52
Thanks guys! I just knew you'd come up with the XP(lantion!).(Jester)

JIm C.
There's probably a reasonable explanation for the missing 'a' in 'explanation!!!!

Jim C.

treeve
14th January 2008, 18:13
Apparently the nasty little beggar lurks deep in the system away from
normal view and can only be detected by that Polish software. It
cannot be removed whilst the computer is running. In much the same
way that you cannot remove other bugs and viruses from the PC whilst
it is running - they have to be removed on boot-up. There are other
detection boot-up software to detect and remove other problems,
but in this case, the Big Boys have not yet devised a "seek and destroy" tool.
That is why I use the HOSTS file so much, it stops 99% third party hijacks.
Best Wishes, Raymond

newda898
14th January 2008, 20:42
There's no point really worrying about this virus - in the face of things, with all the millions of computers in use it's hardly affected any according to the BBC news report. (Just 5,000)
You'll only pick it up in the first place by visiting dodgy websites and downloading dodgy things, as well as by a dodgy email attachment. (although nothing was mentioned about it spreading this way)

treeve
14th January 2008, 20:52
This is the only dodgy website I visit :)

Moulder
17th January 2008, 12:40
Just a quick update:-

Thanks for the contributions - I have now made a set of recovery discs and these are safely stowed away.

We did action a PC recovery using the discs and the result was a quicker running PC.

The scanner still does not work and the e-bay seller has agreed to give a full refund on its' return.

Thanks again for the very useful responses - the advice is much appreciated.

Steve.
(Thumb)

KenAtkins
5th September 2008, 07:48
I know this may sound a bit silly at this stage of the game, Have you tried visiting MUSTEK.COm, and downloading the new drivers for you operating system...???

lesbryan
5th September 2008, 08:08
Operating discs are now registered to the computer and not the person (if you buy from a shop)you can still buy from shops and regisrer to yourself but they are 150 or so .Thats what some unscrupulous dealer used to do keep the discs when they sold a system .Then crack them and sell them on !!

Moulder
5th September 2008, 08:25
I know this may sound a bit silly at this stage of the game, Have you tried visiting MUSTEK.COm, and downloading the new drivers for you operating system...???

Hi Ken,

Yep - tried that - no dice. All sorted now though - the scanner was returned for full refund last January - have purchased a different type and it works well.

Cheers,

Steve.

(Thumb)

lesbryan
5th September 2008, 08:33
Just a quick update:-

Thanks for the contributions - I have now made a set of recovery discs and these are safely stowed away.

We did action a PC recovery using the discs and the result was a quicker running PC.

The scanner still does not work and the e-bay seller has agreed to give a full refund on its' return.

Thanks again for the very useful responses - the advice is much appreciated.

Steve.
(Thumb)

Glad you are all up and running again (except for you scanner ).I had a download a few weeks ago from microsoft it took loads of old files out and put some new ones in and it speeded up no end !!!