Served with Everards during the 50s & 60s ?

TILLERSFITTER
12th January 2008, 17:43
Trying to find out more about my grandfather Alfie Fisher, served with Everards in the 50s & 60s, was skipper on Amity & Acuity, maybe others.Any help would be very much appreciated

sternlight
31st May 2010, 18:03
sir i was with capt Fisher may 1958 on the Arduity as 2nd. mate what do you want to know as it was a long time ago. Peter Garrod.

Graham Elliott
20th October 2012, 06:00
Trying to find out more about my grandfather Alfie Fisher, served with Everards in the 50s & 60s, was skipper on Amity & Acuity, maybe others.Any help would be very much appreciated

I sailed with Captain Fisher on the "Acuity" from 16th December 1960 to 11th January 1961. I was on leave as a cadet from HMS "Worcester" and sailed as an Ordinary Seaman. I spent much time with him on the bridge. My main memory was the seamen getting the sack in Greenhithe for some reason, they then painted on the bulwark 'Kimber is a b...' (who I think was the acting marine superintendent at the time.) We carried oil cargoes to English and European ports, as well as bunkering a large tanker in the Thames Estuary.

Keltic Star
21st October 2012, 07:02
Hi Tillersfitter

I remember posting this way back, PM me if you have found any further info since, it would be interesting to hear more about your Grandfather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TILLERSFITTER View Post
A happy Christmas to all, after stumbling across this forum I have been amazed at my ignorence in regards to my grandfathers career in the merchant navy. He was employed by F T Everard in the 1950s and was a skipper during that time, I believe.Does anyone remember serving with him or which ships he was on. His name was Alfred Fisher and any information good or bad would be appreciated.
Welcome aboard Tillersfitter,

I sailed as second mate under your Grandfather's command on the Acuity and Amity in 1963. He was quite a strict Master but very fair and I learned a lot from him particularly the art of keeping a ship with minimal equipment and old machinery going. In later life, whenever I had an old clunker under management I would ask myself "what would Alfie Fisher have done in this situation" before making a decision.
He was a fine seaman and was a pleasure to sail with.

Graham Elliott
22nd October 2012, 04:33
Further to my comment on Captain Fisher, I've suddenly realised he's featured in a book I'm writing, "Navigating The Voyage Of Life." I don't think I'll have the book finished until early next year, I'd be very happy to send you a copy! What a surprising coincidence!!

Keltic Star
23rd October 2012, 04:52
Further to my comment on Captain Fisher, I've suddenly realised he's featured in a book I'm writing, "Navigating The Voyage Of Life." I don't think I'll have the book finished until early next year, I'd be very happy to send you a copy! What a surprising coincidence!!

I would be happy to buy a copy when you are finished.

Steibbs1
31st October 2012, 07:31
We are desperate to read about the Captain Fisher's adventures. Hope you will finish it by this year and release it worldwide.