Shell Tankers U.k

NORDICA
12th January 2008, 19:39
has anybody in here sailed with STUK? particular the DRUPA

andyp1
18th November 2008, 12:52
I was an Enginer Cadet 79-83 before getting the chop.
Did Liparus, Amastra and Darina

Bill Davies
18th November 2008, 13:14

Think most of the old timers on this site have been on that one.(K) [=P]

loylobby
18th November 2008, 13:24

Sailed with STUK 1969 to 1993. Was on Drupa in 1983 as one of the 2nd mates.

davidpayne
19th November 2008, 22:34
Was with STUK from 1989 till 1996. From Deckboy to AB Sailed on Eburna, Ervilia, Isomeria, Northia Seven times and Norrisia twice. Stood by LNG Lagos at Loch Striven.

calvin
21st November 2008, 19:44
sailed shell 1973 1981 a/steward and second steward megara halia felipes lampas lanistes litiopa natacina

ray laws
10th August 2010, 02:26
I started with Shell as galley rat on the Donax in Jluy 1969 and finnished as Cook Steward on the Norrisia in 2001.Mostly good times but a couple I'd rather forget. The Mysella Xmas 1972 and the Hemimactra Xmas 1976

niggle
9th December 2010, 02:56
(Applause) mysella xmas do please explain (Jester)I started with Shell as galley rat on the Donax in Jluy 1969 and finnished as Cook Steward on the Norrisia in 2001.Mostly good times but a couple I'd rather forget. The Mysella Xmas 1972 and the Hemimactra Xmas 1976

KEITH SEVILLE
10th December 2010, 12:11
Although I wasn't at sea. Served for over 30 years as a Shell Shipping Agent.
Was fortunate to look after the Drupa at her final discharge port Tranmere where she was between 18th/20th March 1993.
Cant remember the Captain who sailed with her, as he was standing in for Dave Lake the regular Master who was on leave at the time. Dave rejoined the vessel I think at Gibraltar for the final voyage to Alang for scrapping.
A very sad day for me as I watched her singling up and unmooring from Tranmere. I then drove out to New Brighton and watched her sailing from the Mersey for the final time.

Regards
Keith

berniedonnelly
13th January 2011, 20:48
served as AB on the lepeta,limnia and rapana ...

bernie

kenwebb
13th January 2011, 21:56
Sailed on the Lyria achitina felipes rapana(twice)paludina tribulus come unstuck finally in new plymouth kiwi

berniedonnelly
13th January 2011, 22:35
Sailed on the Lyria achitina felipes rapana(twice)paludina tribulus come unstuck finally in new plymouth kiwi

when was you on the rapana ken, i joined in europort when it was handed back from the italians, it hit the pier on berthing and smashed in the forepeak,we did a tank clean then went to the bay of biscay to wash out.
on a sadder note,we lost our chippy over the side on the berth ,he was repairing the embarcation ladder, we launched the T.E.L.B and got him ashore but alas we couldnt revive him.

bernie

kenwebb
14th January 2011, 12:40
hi Bernie was on rapana twice 20/12/80-21/5/81then again 23/3/85-28/8/85 joined her in rotterdam fisrt time bernie thats when i found out she was an obo boat .second time i joined her it was my own fault still good bunch of lads onboard but scared the cr-p out of me We were in south africa when another obo came in with a twenty foot crack in one of her beams just forard of the housing brought back memories of the berg eastra that was enough for me

Billieboy
14th January 2011, 16:23
I repaired Rapana in Rotterdam from the time she was bought by Shell, until the explosion in the pump room on the way up the North sea. A crazy ship; when she got into Rotterdam she never wanted to leave, bits were falling off all the time, never killed an engineer, but did try hard a couple of times. Rimula was a pussycat in comparison; it's so strange how two ships from the same yard and drawings could have such differing characters.

marinemec2004
15th December 2012, 16:18

Kenny , I remember sailing with you?
Cannot remember exactly, are you from Hull?
You had long curly blonde hair, drank like a fish!

Nickslat1961
4th January 2013, 21:14
I was in from 1978-1981 (Engineering Cadet) then as a 5/E till 1984
Ships
Cadet
Lampas
Vega Seal
5/E
Rapana
Leonia
Gadilla
Achatina

Crap, that's all I can remember - must be getting old

Tom Priestnall
6th February 2013, 23:09

Was she the lightening ship in the Channel; if so - yes i did as deck 3E.
Can't remember the dates but could look them up. There was another loopy 3E at the same time if I remember correctly (Dooley?)
Tom

BrianBT
7th March 2013, 21:25
I sailed on Drupa as 4th Engineer then deck Engineer. I remember we hit the light ship in Liverpool sound on a bright summers dy. It run along side the vessel and dipped under the cruiser stern. Fortunately we didn't sink it.
The Master tried to blame the engineeroom for not responding quick enough to a double ring astern.
Aargh the Drupa, never did I sail again on a vessel with so much pot being smoked.........

dondoncarp
17th March 2013, 00:06
Tricula and northia 83/84

charliepridham
11th August 2013, 09:59
Joined Drupa as mate in Falmouth drydock summer 1984 left again just before Christmas the same year, captains Davidson then Dave Spargo made it a pleasant trip.

Fen667
8th November 2013, 12:36
My dad was on the Drupa, Keith Fenwick. He also sailed on the Northia and Halia, amongst others. I'll get a full list asap.
Great to find these forums.

charliepridham
8th November 2013, 13:43
I sailed with you dad many times, even got to enjoy his company! he paid us a visit not long after I had left the sea, house was a building site as I recall! He tried (and failed) to get me interested in golf.

How did the boat project work out? it was his retirement present to himself, he was talking about a fast rib not sure if it ever materilised

Fen667
8th November 2013, 14:04
I sailed with you dad many times, even got to enjoy his company! he paid us a visit not long after I had left the sea, house was a building site as I recall! He tried (and failed) to get me interested in golf.

How did the boat project work out? it was his retirement present to himself, he was talking about a fast rib not sure if it ever materilised

Hey Charlie!
I recognise your name. Sadly the old man passed away almost 10 years ago. He did buy that rib, an avon. We used it many times around West Wales. He loved it. He tried to get everyone into golf!! He was always best in the 19th hole though!!
Thanks for the reply. Hope you are keeping well

hibberd
8th November 2013, 15:10
I was with STUK from 1970 to 1980..sailed on ZAPHON, HINEA, a couple of the dutch build M class, stood by LEONIA in Belfast sailed on a couple of other L's but cannot remember their names all now. was an E/C 5thE and 3rd E.

charliepridham
8th November 2013, 23:54
Hey Charlie!
I recognise your name. Sadly the old man passed away almost 10 years ago. He did buy that rib, an avon. We used it many times around West Wales. He loved it. He tried to get everyone into golf!! He was always best in the 19th hole though!!
Thanks for the reply. Hope you are keeping well

Very sad to hear about your dad, always had a good time with him in charge. Pleased to hear he got to enjoy the boat though.

As for me, yes I am lucky enough to be fit and well, one of your dads chief grumbles about me was I could eat more than him but not put on weight!

loylobby
11th November 2013, 23:05
My dad was on the Drupa, Keith Fenwick. He also sailed on the Northia and Halia, amongst others. I'll get a full list asap.
Great to find these forums.

I sailed with your dad on the Paludina in 1978/79 and it was one of the best trips I have done; in no small part thanks to your dad. I joined in New York on very cold snowy Christmas morning. There was a full crew change and a handful of officers. The crew were not "Shell men" and came from the Sooth Shields Pool which made it interesting.

It was a hard working ship but luckily our sense of humour and fun always saw us through. He enjoyed a party or two. I am very sorry to hear of his passing.