Manchester Miller

Ian
5th April 2004, 19:54
Manchester Miller

The much larger Belfast-built MANCHESTER MILLER of 1959 was the first ship to be built before the start of the 'container revolution'. She was also designed with engines aft and bridge amidships but was 468ft in length and set the trend in sporting a twin-funnel arrangement.

29th March 2005, 19:31
She didn't miss out on the revolution altogether though, because in 1970 she was rebuilt as a container ship and renamed the Manchester Quest.

trotterdotpom
4th May 2005, 16:13
She didn't miss out on the revolution altogether though, because in 1970 she was rebuilt as a container ship and renamed the Manchester Quest.

In 1970 I was on study leave at Hull Tech from Marconi (1st Class PMG). With no leave in hand over the Christmas holiday and, residing in Middlesbrough, Marconi directed me to join Manchester Quest (following her conversion from Manchester Miller) for a trip across the pond, sailing from Smiths Dock at South Bank, Middlesbrough. The trip was supposed to return me in time to continue the course. I was curious to see what all this container business was about but disappointed about missing Christmas.

I showed up at the ship expecting to be sailing that afternoon and found the ship in a state of undress. The only person I could find on board was a scruffy looking watchman. I asked him when she was sailing and he said it would be about another 3 days. That would have meant me being late back for the course so there was no way I was going. I asked the tramp-looking-watchman-character where the Captain might be and he said: "That's me"! I told him who I was and that I wouldn't be going. There was a huge shortage of R.O.s at the time and he seemed to be relatively unphased by the news.

Unfortunately, I didn't get off completely unscathed - I sailed on Stag Line's Gloxinia from Smith's Dock, North Shields on New Year's Eve. There were about 8 men and a real live ship's cat aboard, the rest being left on the razzle at the "Jungle" in Geordieland. I seem to recall living in on egg, chips and beans all the way round, northabout, to Manchester.

As for Manchester Quest, I think she finally left in about February sometime.

John.