NAME THE VESSELS !!!! Singapore .May 1953

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
29th April 2005, 16:58
Can you name the five Blue Funnel Ships alongsiude at Singapore on the same day in May 1953...and class them too.

Capt Bax.

Answers here in maybe about 2 weeks.

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
3rd May 2005, 20:55
:confused: Come On Lads. Its Not That Difficult.
One Of Them, Anybody Who Sailed With Blue Funnel Has Got To Know.
The Singapore Twins.

Doug Rogers
4th May 2005, 01:34
That looks to me like a monopoly....where were all the other lines for Petes sake!!.
Will see what I can do to name them.....
Doug

tanker
4th May 2005, 11:16
The four ships are of AENEAS series built 1947 numerous sisters,the fifth in profile is of PATROCLUS series built 1950 ,5 sisters.
Gp (?HUH)

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
4th May 2005, 18:37
Tanker.

Take a real good look at the fourth from the front. Otherwise you are getting warmer. !!!! Every ship is different although they may be of the same class but you are on the right track. No 4 is the odd one. Well known and to be transfrred to would be to die for !!!!!!!! No 2 was in action and damaged in The Straits of Formosa. Clue !!!

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
25th May 2005, 18:42
OK As No One Got Them. here Are The names.

From 1st Left. ANSWERS !!!!!! Nobody gets the banana.

LAOMEDON. ANCHISES. ASCANIUS. GORGON.[U] (S'pore to W Australian Service) PYRRHUS.

So how come none of you Blue Funnel Lads got Gorgon. Sister of Charon !!!!!!

James_C
25th May 2005, 21:25
Charons a bit of a strange name for a ship, aint it? An ill omen even. As I recall (from my schooldays) Charon was the blue jacket/vessel that transported souls across the River Styx to Hades.
Is that right?

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
26th May 2005, 18:36
CHARON: Ferryman of the Dead. He's a sulky old salt who transports souls across the River STYX to the gates of the Underworld.

But not for nothing. Oh no. First you have to pay him a silver coin. Don't forget to place one under your tongue before they bury you. And even then he might refuse if you haven't been properly buried.

Isn't it time the old curmudgeon retired? He must have amassed an amazingly large pension by now. Still, with parents like EREBUS and NYX what can you expect?

Remember her passengers were not that fussy, in the main SHEEP !!!

japottinger
26th May 2005, 21:51
Hello Cpt. Bax.
Did you ever use any of my Clan Line photos I sent?

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
27th May 2005, 15:18
Hello Cpt. Bax.
Did you ever use any of my Clan Line photos I sent?

Very likely, but I had over 2000 pictures,so it is sort of dificult to remember where some of them came from (old age) mostly of the later vessels (after 1910) but go take a look on www.merchantnavyofficers.com. I still need many of the early vessels especially JALAWAR and NORTH STAR. Am just starting Glen and Shire Line now to complete the Blue Funnel Section which was made up of so many and some even I have never heard of.

John
29th May 2005, 09:30
Thanks for the answer!! The photo must have been taken very early in May 1953 as Laomedon was, at that time, homeward bound on her maiden voyage. She had been delivered by Walkers at Wallsend early in February and sailed from Birkenhead on 25 February and arrived back in the Mersey on the morning of June 2 , berthed in Gladstone Dock that afternoon and paid off that same day - the day before Coronation Day.

John
6th June 2005, 10:03
I have now seen the same photograph on the Mansfield & Co site. On that site it is dated 1952. If that is the case then the left hand "A" class ship cannot be Laomedon as she was not delivered until February 1953.

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
6th June 2005, 18:53
I have now seen the same photograph on the Mansfield & Co site. On that site it is dated 1952. If that is the case then the left hand "A" class ship cannot be Laomedon as she was not delivered until February 1953.

Hi John.

You are correct. It is on the Mansfields section in Blue Funnel on M.N.O. We received it from Harvey Lade ex Director of Mansfields quite a long time ago now. Harvey lives in Oz.
However you will note there are no ships names and the date is here or there.

If you have a copy of "The Blue Funnel Legend" by Malcolm Falkus
( ISBN # 0 - 333 - 52283 - 4 )that was recently obtainable throgh the Blue Funnel Pension Dept on a very limited release at a very cheap price to us poor pensioners. !! The same picture is on Page 265 under the picture of Gorgon discharging her" passengers" ..Sheep. This picture is dated and the ships are named. It is dated May Singapore 1953, so there you are Maiden Voyage. May seem quick but you I am sure know that a lot of the "A" Class were prefabbed and the fitting out was very fast. (Modern Liberty ?) It of Course could be any of them.

Capt Bax

michael james
6th June 2005, 21:25
Hello Capt Bax,
Forgive a non Blue Funnel seaman for asking a question re. the Gordon, you stated in an earlier post before you gave the names of the five ships, that to be transferred to this ship "was to die for........" is this solely because she was on the Singapore to Oz run or was there some added incentive _ if that is not enough _ to serve on that ship?

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
10th June 2005, 20:35
Hello Capt Bax,
Forgive a non Blue Funnel seaman for asking a question re. the Gordon, you stated in an earlier post before you gave the names of the five ships, that to be transferred to this ship "was to die for........" is this solely because she was on the Singapore to Oz run or was there some added incentive _ if that is not enough _ to serve on that ship?

HI Mike.

To Die For YES!!

If you ever worked on any of the Main Line Blue Funnel or Glen Ships you will remember how heavy they were to work, besides that they returned to U.K.EVERY trip and all the BS of Head Office.

With Charon and Gorgon and later Centaur and Orestes, we lost all the BS. They never returned to UK and were based in Singapore and guess what !!! in the case of Charon and Gorgon, most of the cargo walked on....SHEEP !!!

R651400
23rd June 2005, 19:49
You can also add that Charon and Gorgon were specially strengthened to lie high and dry in some of WA's lesser known ports such as Broome. How many can say they've tucked into a great plate of mutton soup in Bugis Street after a session on the draft Tiger?
Think you are a bit out with Orestes on 50's WA Singapore run John. Orestes,
Idomeneus and Agamemnon were Singapore East Coast Australia. Could it have been the Asphalion that was the third member of the group?

James_C
23rd June 2005, 21:10
Broome! Ah, the Port of Pearls (as it's known now). I'm sure I still have a polo shirt from the Roebuck Hotel somewhere......
Proper mad max country, all the soil was that rich brown/red colour. The main industry now seems to be Pearls, Cattle and tourists.
When I was last there in 2002, there was only the one wooden jetty, and that was used for the Cattle ships, cruise ships and the tankers.
The berth doesn't dry out now, was there perhaps an older pier?

John
26th July 2005, 07:24
John Bax is right Appointment to either Gorgon or Charon was "to die for". I was fortunate to serve on Charon in 1957/58 during which she was "Modernised " in Hong Kong between September and December. Sailed from Hong Kong on Xmas Eve and from Singapore for Fremantle on New Year's Eve. In the Banka Strait at New Year. John mentions sheep which were certainly the main stay of the cargo northbound from Geraldton. During the winter months cattle were usually carried from Derby down to Fremantle on the southbound leg of the run. He also did not mention the 90 or so passengers usually West Australians doing the round trip as their annual holiday. However, the worst aspect of the year were the school kid runs. A ship full of kids between seven and seventeen either going to Western Australia to boarding school or returning home to Singapore/ Malaya ( as it then was) for holidays. Fun and games for all!!!

John

bert thompson
6th April 2006, 17:25
Can anyone help me with B F names.
I fitted the Radars to the six (I think that was the total number) of B F and Glen line built at The Naval Yard at Walker on the Tyne.My diaries only give the new building number and the only name I can recall is Priam.
I do have vivid memories of fitting the waveguide while the mast was lying awaiting fitting. Had a good relationship with the welders. An apprentice used to go first inside the mast and I followed holding the brackets in position. However we were late getting to the yard before a mast was due for "lifting"
The apprentice welder was on "day release" and the unhappy tradesman insisted I got in first and he welded over me. My boilersuit was ruined but the most hurtful thing was my burned legs. My socks were riddled with burn holes.
Happy days.

R651400
7th April 2006, 06:22
ifting"
The apprentice welder was on "day release" and the unhappy tradesman insisted I got in first and he welded over me. My boilersuit was ruined but the most hurtful thing was my burned legs. My socks were riddled with burn holes.
Happy days.

Ocean supervisors were appalled by what they witnessed at Vickers Armstrong, weak leadership, bad organisation, discipline and planning.
Losing 4m in delivery delays Ocean switched to Japan.

Here are the ships Bert...

Priam, Prometheus, Proteslaus, Peisander and Radnorshire.

bert thompson
7th April 2006, 09:10
RS651400 Many thanks for your reply. Never thought I would be looking for names. At the time they were just newbuild numbers. Same afraid from all the other yards. Why didn't I have a camera and make notes? In those days the new building was endless.
Again thanks Bert

Tai Pan
13th August 2006, 12:17
Can you name the five Blue Funnel Ships alongsiude at Singapore on the same day in May 1953...and class them too.

Capt Bax.

Answers here in maybe about 2 weeks.
whilst on Glengarry I remember seeing ALL berths in Singapore being taken up by Blues and Glens. what a sight. had no camera then.

Hugh Ferguson
11th November 2006, 19:23
OK As No One Got Them. here Are The names.

From 1st Left. ANSWERS !!!!!! Nobody gets the banana.

LAOMEDON. ANCHISES. ASCANIUS. GORGON.[U] (S'pore to W Australian Service) PYRRHUS.

So how come none of you Blue Funnel Lads got Gorgon. Sister of Charon !!!!!!

Ray Wurtzburg 'phoned me this afternoon (11th Nov.) to tell Capt.Bax, that it was he who commissioned that photograph. Ray was, at that time, the Mansfield's Manager for Blue Funnel, and on noticing the line-up, urgently instructed a professional photographer to get afloat as quickly as possible in order to get the picture before any of the ships sailed. Ray admitted that it was he who wrongly dated the picture in Mansfield's records.
Hugh Ferguson (at that time in 1953 was 2nd mate in the GLENROY)

BeerSailor
3rd January 2007, 22:16
I wonder if any of you Blue Flue folk have a photo of Patroclus (1950)? I had a great shot of her overtaking us in 1969 (we had both just left Panama, Patroclus was Japan bound and we were NZ bound). My copy is too water damaged to place on SN.
regards

ernhelenbarrett
8th January 2007, 12:23
re photos of 5 Blue Flu Boats I dont ken what they are but it looks like the stern of a Ben Boat just ahead of the first one. When I was on the Bencruachan about 1952 the rumour was that King Alfred said that "for every Ben Line ship that leaves the UK there will be 5 Blue Funnel vessels after her" I remember zipping past the Clytoneus on the Cruachan doing 24 knots, Capt Typhoon Jones and C/E Tammy Towers both puffing away at their pipes as we did so!
Ern Barrett

R651400
8th January 2007, 18:51
When I was on the Bencruachan about 1952 the rumour was that King Alfred said that "for every Ben Line ship that leaves the UK there will be 5 Blue Funnel vessels after her" I remember zipping past the Clytoneus on the Cruachan doing 24 knots, Capt Typhoon Jones and C/E Tammy Towers both puffing away at their pipes as we did so! Ern Barrett

1952??? The final Cruachan was incapable of 24 knots!! Not even with a Welsh skipper!!!!!

Jeffw
7th April 2007, 02:34
Hi John.

The same picture is on Page 265 under the picture of Gorgon discharging her" passengers" ..Sheep.
Capt Bax

I happen to be one of the said "sheep". My family left Australia for Labuan in North Borneo in 1956. We travelled on the Gorgon from Fremantle as I recall stopping in Bali and Singapore on the way. I was just 6 years old at the time and my vivid memory is of being chastised by the Captain ( I hope it wasn't you Capt Bax!) for teasing a fellow female passenger. The threat was that if I reoffended I would be thrashed on the bridge in full view of all the other passengers!

JoK
7th April 2007, 13:43
(Jester) Did that make an impressions JeffW?