Vianna

j basing
16th January 2008, 16:46
A photo of the obo carrier Vianna that was under Ben mangement at one time

fred henderson
16th January 2008, 17:45
Built in Sweden in 1970 for Galbraith, Wrightson Ltd, London. Managed by Ben Line from 1973 until she was sold to Greek owners in 1976.

Fred(Thumb)

KenLin39
16th January 2008, 20:11
This may seem like a silly question , what is OBO. Ken.

K urgess
16th January 2008, 20:14
Multi-purpose vessel that can carry Oil or Bulk Ore.

randcmackenzie
16th January 2008, 21:36
Multi-purpose vessel that can carry Oil or Bulk Ore.

Oil or Bulk or Ore

K urgess
16th January 2008, 22:20
Knew it was something like that.(Thumb)
Luckily I never had to suffer.(LOL)

radioman1969
8th February 2011, 21:47
A photo of the obo carrier Vianna that was under Ben mangement at one time

I was IMR R/O on her April-Dec 1972. She was owned by Norwegians - Ditlev Simonsen, Oslo' and was managed by Jardine Matheson, HongKong.

Great crowd. We went to Rio, Japan, Aussie with ore cargoes and one trip with oil PG/Europe. Great accomodation for me (room with a forward view on the deck below bridge - only me and the pilot cabin on whole deck, large Radio Room next to my cabin faced aft).

Third Officer's dad died on the Royston Grange disaster.

I sailed on Bennevis/Bendearg (1969) as Jnr R/O. Capt McPhee on Nevis, can't remember who capt was on Dearg (R/O was Peter McMeekin - anybody remember him ?).

RHL
11th February 2011, 18:42
Was on the Dearg April 67 thru December 68 and Peter was R/O, his favourite ditty was: whether the weather was hot or whether the weather was not, we have to weather the weather whether we like it or not! He was from Leeds I think.

radioman1969
15th February 2011, 18:01
Was on the Dearg April 67 thru December 68 and Peter was R/O, his favourite ditty was: whether the weather was hot or whether the weather was not, we have to weather the weather whether we like it or not! He was from Leeds I think.

Yes, he was a nice bloke, very easy going and he was from Leeds. Just wondered if he was still 'this side of the bar' too.

RHL
15th February 2011, 23:06
no idea which side of the bar Peter is residing, last time I saw him was on the Dearg and James Randolph Morrison was Master.

Roddy Munro
19th February 2011, 16:13

Had an unbroken spell on the Bendearg from Aug 68 through to Sept 70 So our paths must have crossed.JR Morrison was capt most of the time,but I notice capt A Yuill did a trip.Also capt Barr on my first trip on her.A heavy ship to work,but great times.
Roddy Munro

radioman1969
23rd February 2011, 12:17
Had an unbroken spell on the Bendearg from Aug 68 through to Sept 70 So our paths must have crossed.JR Morrison was capt most of the time,but I notice capt A Yuill did a trip.Also capt Barr on my first trip on her.A heavy ship to work,but great times.
Roddy Munro

Hi Roddy, I was 2R/O (with Peter McMeeking) from 20 Nov 69 to 11 Feb 1970. Capt was A.Yuill. Remember 2nd Officer was a bit of a 'prat' as he regularly locked my cabin door !! However, I earned a lot of respect from him (and no more trouble)when I gave the ships chinese table tennis champ a good run for his money. I remember also that Peter, me, chief elect and 2/elect had great difficulty getting the christmas tree lights to work - was a good trip which still remember with great clarity.

Derek Dunn
27th February 2011, 22:28
I sailed with a Ron Sadler from the Isle of man on a couple of occassions, is that you?

RHL
28th February 2011, 21:17
Hi Roddy, Dates say we sailed together but cant remember much, I was cadet with 2 other cadets - Bill W??? and John Okroy?? from Aberdeen perhaps? never had Adam Yuill as Master on the Dearg just JRM.

Roddy Munro
2nd March 2011, 16:26
Hi Roddy, Dates say we sailed together but cant remember much, I was cadet with 2 other cadets - Bill W??? and John Okroy?? from Aberdeen perhaps? never had Adam Yuill as Master on the Dearg just JRM.

Hi
Sorry It was after you were on Bendearg According to my book Capt Yuill did a voyage from 6/11/69 to 11/2/70