Mahseer - Mahe

R798780
29th April 2005, 19:29
Mahseer discharging Costains plant in Seychelles Feb-Mar 1969

john g
1st May 2005, 19:12
Nice one Mr S....That brings back some great forgotton times. It's amazing the things Brocks were involved with and at the time we all just took it for granted....keep the memories coming man...john g

michael james
1st May 2005, 20:16
Here here John g, great memory jogger Hugh, great forgotten times as you say. My introduction to Sharky Clark by senior ships company members was an education, and the resulting friendships made with a well known Seychellois family is enduring to this day ! One of the better places Brocklebanks had trade links with! was this taken in the 60`s Hugh?

R798780
4th May 2005, 22:48
Here here John g, great memory jogger Hugh, great forgotten times as you say. My introduction to Sharky Clark by senior ships company members was an education, and the resulting friendships made with a well known Seychellois family is enduring to this day ! One of the better places Brocklebanks had trade links with! was this taken in the 60`s Hugh?
Just; 1969

Trevor
23rd August 2005, 21:55
Yes Sharky Clark, what a paradise the Seychelles, did several trips on the Maskeliya. The islands have been ruined by the tourists etc now, we were fortunate to experience them when we did. I still have my cocoanut de mer, and many slides.
Trevor

michael james
23rd August 2005, 23:39
Trevor,
You hit the nail right on the head, we were extreemly lucky to have seen and experienced the Seychelles as it was before the commercial developments really got going,and ruined the islands. Do you remember the old Sunderland flying boat bring the weekly mail from Mombasa and landing in the anchorage off Mahe?

Trevor
24th August 2005, 20:37
Certainly do, Mike, and the BI boat was also delivering mail, but only the Brocks ships spent any real time there. They were "our" islands in those days, we picked up turtles one trip for the Columbo Zoo, kept them in the masthouse. Maskeliya was a regular and I was on her almost 2 years.
We were also fortunate to be at sea before containers, we all knew what the cargo was, and it could be pretty exotic at times. Now it's just a box, of what? Who knows what is in a container. Discharging was slower so we had more port time, yes Mike those were great days to be at sea, we even had air conditioning in the 60's. Ever get to Gan or the Moldives
Cheers, Trevor

Mike O'Rourke
19th November 2005, 03:04
Yes Sharky Clark, what a paradise the Seychelles, did several trips on the Maskeliya. The islands have been ruined by the tourists etc now, we were fortunate to experience them when we did. I still have my cocoanut de mer, and many slides.
Trevor

Trevor... You are not wrong there...I had the privelage of visiting Paradise in 1967 with the Grey Funnel line and a better place you could not find in the world...Thanks gents for stiring the old grey matter.
Aye
Mike

Trevor
9th December 2007, 21:39
Mike,
We are in the 21st century, I said now. Where have you been?
Trevor

R798780
9th December 2007, 22:34
On another occasion I recall visiting Seychelles on Mawana in '67. There was an RFA ship in and we were invited across. Well as apprentice I "HAD" to go - and forgo a night up the road. Dancing on the boat deck, some lady would have me dance despite my protest. I think I only trod on her twice, and since I can't dance other than the stand on the spot shuffle to Animals-Beatles-Pretty Things-Stones, that was doing well. The beer wasn't bad though and for a sprog that could only be good. I see the odd RFA pic and wonder if that was the one in Mahé at the same time but never sure.

sparkie2182
9th December 2007, 22:37
i remember sailing with a 3/0 called james grandcourt, from the seychelles.....
obviously a close brocks connection with the islands

Derek Roger
9th December 2007, 23:06
Was last there in 1974 on the Mahsud .
The new wharf was just opened and we were first ship to go alongside as I recollect .
At the time I was doing a UK coastal on her and taking "new Chief Engineers " deep sea for a month or two to train them on the running of UMS vessels ; and on that trip I decided the "New Chief " had had enough training and managed to arrange to be relieved in Mahe !!
Further to that there were very few B.O.A.C flights at that time and I met a lady at a Costains dance who asked how long I was staying on the Island ; I explained that I was due to fly out in a couple of days ; she then told me she was the BOAC manager in Victoria and was " Sure " all the seats were taken for that flight and arranged a new flight out a few days later which meant I had to stay for about a week ! All expenses paid .
Oh Happy Days

pilot
10th December 2007, 07:47
Took surveyors out to Mahe from Durban on the mid '60s. The told us that the runway was to be built to be capable of taking the V bombers, in case Gan and Diego Garcia became "No Go areas".

Seem to remember that the surveyors, or at least one, were MOD surveyors.

Rgds.

R798780
10th December 2007, 12:09
i remember sailing with a 3/0 called james grandcourt, from the seychelles.....
obviously a close brocks connection with the islands

Flavian Renaud was 3/0 on Luminetta in about 1978, a very black Seychellois, and very good. Interesting that we went across to drink beer on SA Zebedila in Jeddah. He became the chosen one to be 3/0 on the "new" Atlantic Conveyor.

sparkie2182
10th December 2007, 20:40
obviously contempories hugh, it was mid/late 1970s when i sailed with 3/0 grandcourt on one of the act boats, which one i can never remember.
with such insipid names as act 2 and act 6 there is nothing to differentiate the two in memory when one has sailed on both a number of times

Derek Roger
10th December 2007, 21:47
obviously contempories hugh, it was mid/late 1970s when i sailed with 3/0 grandcourt on one of the act boats, which one i can never remember.
with such insipid names as act 2 and act 6 there is nothing to differentiate the two in memory when one has sailed on both a number of times

Did you sail with Davie Meek from Dundee . He was Chief on them last time I saw him . Visited Saint John a couple of times .
Regards Derek

sparkie2182
10th December 2007, 22:01
chengs were don leitner, australian........and dave burden..northeast enland
both top guys.

2/engs were arlen goonawardene ....... sri lanka and gerry watson.....greasby......:)

among others of course.............

i recall st john.........a hell of a range of tide there if im not mistaken, and a pub called the captain beattie???????
and a nurses home..... :)

Derek Roger
11th December 2007, 01:09
Tides are very high ; 6 to 7 meters is not uncommon . Admiral Beatie no longer exsists So much for progress !
Cheers Derek

Nick Jones
11th December 2007, 02:49
We took to of the Costains Foremen to Mahe on the Matra, early 1969, along with a Shovel and Crawler tractor. The two Costains guys were characters, if I remember correctly their names where Grimes and Fortune. I guess it was the beginning of the end for the islands solitude.

Cheers,
Nick Jones

pilot
11th December 2007, 08:27
Tides are very high ; 6 to 7 meters is not uncommon . Admiral Beatie no longer exsists So much for progress !
Cheers Derek
Tides only similarity with Immingham then. Couldn't confuse the Admiral Beatie with the Lock In or the County.
Rgds.

docgk
12th December 2007, 17:58
I truly enjoyed the Seychelles. I was there ( Victoria, Mahe ) mid 1970 in Mahseer as R/O. It was quite an eventful visit. I recall coming back to the jolly boat pier to see the light flashing didah didah from the bridge wing. I and a few others managed to get aboard a German cruise liner which was alongside ( despite the gangway guards) and their officer of the watch allowed us to use their light to respond. The resulting message was 'get police, now!' So, we did and travelled out on the police launch to find the old man barricaded on the bridge. Apparently he had tried to remove the lady 'guests' of the crew and they had taken umbrage! To my eternal shame I cannot remember a) who was with me....too much drink, and b) who was Master on that trip, but he was a slight man with tight curly hair and a roman nose. My excuse is that I have had a busy life since then and there are a few drop outs...... who was it I wonder?

Happy days...

Tony Sprigings
13th December 2007, 10:08
Docgk,
Do you still possess your old discharge book? If so the Master's name will be on the last section.
Regards.

docgk
13th December 2007, 17:00
Thanks Tony. The thought resulted in a marathon loft search! However, success was achieved ( well nearly). Murphy's Law applies of course and the signature is nigh unreadable ( the only one that is!). Best efforts at decipherment yield a possible:

?arry O'By???

Anyone recognise it?

Roger Bentley
13th December 2007, 19:03
The names of attendees at the 1993 reunion included Captain and Mrs D A M O'Byrne, this is possibly the name in your discharge book. Cheer, Roger

Tony Sprigings
13th December 2007, 20:05
Roger,I think you are on the right track. Was it by any chance Derek O'Byrne? I am a bit confused by the the prefix ?arry. We will get there in the end fear not.
Cheers

docgk
14th December 2007, 09:19
Tony/Roger

Thanks for solving the puzzle. As soon as I knew what I might be looking for it jumped off the page. It is indeed Derek O'Byrne. The problem was that his signature has a copperplate capital 'D' followed by lower case 'a' and 'm', where the 'm' has a long vertical tail hence 'arry'! What a great source of knowledge this site is.....

slms

Tony Sprigings
14th December 2007, 20:00
Docgk,
So glad we solved your mystery just before Xmas. Now you can have a good one. All the best from an 'old' shipmate and have a good New Year.

Derek Roger
14th December 2007, 20:48
When in Mahe on the Mahsud in 1974 I met an Irishman who was chief of police ; he came onboard to scrounge up a turnip some potatoes cabbage and a piece of mutton etc. so he could go home and cook his wife a good Irish stew ( couldnt grow those veggies there ) I became quite friendly with him and after I signed off and Mahsud left he invited me to "The Pirates Arms " for a few beers and a bite to eat on a Saturday .
Not long after we were there two parties of men arrived ; quite well dressed and proceeded to sit at opposite ends of the bar and tables .
He explained one party was the prime minister and his cabinet ; the other was Rene who was in the opposition communist party ( He later overthrew the government in a coup .
He said give them about 20 minutes and watch the fun !!

After a few beers they became quite rude to each other and loud . Finally a scuffle broke out and two police came in and broke them up ; separated them and they continued debating things of state for a bit then slowly ;one by one dwindled away .
It was the most bizarre thing I have ever witnessed ; The Chief told me it was a standard thing every Saturday lunchtime and he quite enjoyed the entertainment .
He also told me crime was rare and he only had two people in his jail ( Same chap on two different occasions for drunk and disorderly ).

At a later date a neighbor of ours in South Africa and good friend of my late father made an aborted attempt to take the island back . His name was ( is ) Mike Hoare and there is a good book he wrote " The Seychelles Affair " for those who are interested in the Island .
His son who was a young pal of mine in South Africa is currently writing his
biography .
Regards Derek

Regards Derek

Philthechill
15th December 2007, 07:23
Derek! Salaams! Was that "Mad" Mike Hoare you refer to? Wasn't he based in Aden when he was in the Army and gained his "Mad" epithet because of the incredibly daring raids he used to carry-out against the local yokels (who were extremely vicious and cunning people) during "The Troubles" in that centre of duty-free goods!!!!!! Phil(Hippy)

Derek Roger
15th December 2007, 17:38
He was by some called Mad Mike .
I dont know of any exploits in Aden .
His main exploits were in the Congo . He wrote 2 books on the campaign " Congo Mercenary " and "The Wild Geese " which was later made into a film . After the Congo he was in Singapore operating an offshore supply boat company . After the Seychelles Affair he spent a long time in jail as he and his group hi jacked a plane and escaped Mahe to South Africa after a fire fight at the airport.
I am fortunate to have all of his books as he would sent copies to my Dad as they were published . Some signed with notes to my father . I also have correspondence to my father but have not been able to find the letters he sent while incarserated in Pretoria Central .
There was also a Xmas card from the Congo to Dad suggesting he come and join him ; the thought of which horrified my mother who told him plainly that he was not going !

Regards Derek

sparkie2182
15th December 2007, 20:27
a little known fact about "mad" mike hoare is that he was a fully qualified accountant.

it never sits well with his later life, i always feel.

Jim S
15th December 2007, 21:52
Phil,
I think the Mad Mitch you were referring to was Lt Col. Colin "Mad Mitch" Mitchell of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders who were involved in the retaking of Crater, Aden in July 1967.

Derek Roger
17th September 2011, 15:41
a little known fact about "mad" mike hoare is that he was a fully qualified accountant.

it never sits well with his later life, i always feel.

He was indeed a fully qualified accountant among other things . The write up on him in Wakapedia is incorrect however . He was born in Calcutta ( not Ireland ) and he served with the Royal Engineers in India and Burma during the war ( not in the North african campaign )
After the war he led Safaris in South Africa and other trips to the interior . He had a new book published in 2009 Mokoro - A cry for help which is a very interesting non military read .
He incribed a copy for me which reads " remembering with sincere affection your father, my good friend Jock, who taught me the art of trout fishing in the Draensburg and many other things about life!
Mike Hoare Col Dec 2009 "

He was also a very good sailor and published a book Threee Years with Sylvia ( an old Baltic trader ; he converted and sailed around the Med ). A good read for any sailor .

He was and is a very quiet unassunming man who answered the call of President Tshombe to free the congo of the "Simbas " and in the process saved many lives .

Regards Derek

gwzm
17th September 2011, 20:04
Hugh,

You certainly tickled the nostalgia buds. I visited the Seychelles in '65 on Mahseer and what a beautiful unspoilt place Mahe was - the wooden "Big Ben", hurricane lamps for street lighting, out-house sanitation, the inter-island schooners, the sea-plane that brought the mail, and friendly people. The taxi we used to get across to the other side of the island was something else - an ancient big American convertible with a 45 rpm RECORD PLAYER in the dash and the only record was an ancient scratchy copy of The Hawaiian Wedding Song!

Truly happy days and, unfortunately, gone forever.

gwzm