Costain's cargo to Seychelles on Mahseer, 1969

R798780
29th April 2005, 19:37
Loading tug Cosaru Bay in Rotterdam
Cosaru Bay after discharge in Seychelles
Discharging 15 Ton dozer in Seychelles

Johnstokoe
5th August 2005, 19:14
Hi Hugh, I assume that this heavy cargo was in connection with the construction of the airport. I am correct?
Cheers John

R798780
5th August 2005, 22:58
I'm fairly certain it was. Costains were constructing whatever and they do the big stuff.

John Rogers
5th August 2005, 23:59
I hope all you Sailor men didnt spoil that lovely Island,it was a youngs mans paradise when I went there in 1948. Its a wonder any of the crew came back to the ship.
John

dsaile
23rd August 2005, 15:26
That cargo would almost certainly have been for the new (first) airport. I was on Masirah and Mawana in 1968 and 1969. One of those trips, I can't remember which, unloaded large floating pontoons at Seychelles. These would have been used for offloading later cargoes.
I recall that unloading took 2 or 3 days so we had lots of time ashore (I was engineer cadet at the time so hardly anything to do on board when in dock).
Is there anybody out there who was on Masirah or Mawana in 1968/1969?

john g
23rd August 2005, 16:05
Sorry can't do the Masirah or Mawana but did take Costains directors on the Mahout to the Seychelles from Cape Town plus one hell of a lot of wine which they shared with the old man.
I was an eng apprentice about that time, which college did you to ?

Marcus Cardew
23rd August 2005, 17:23
I remember taking a fairly serious Coles crane out to the Maldives on the Port Nicholson (On charter to Brock's) in the autumn of 1973. The islanders had a nice teak barge built and towed down from Calcutta for us to load it onto, They then towed it into Male harbour (between the 'Belisha Beacon' harbour lights), and then we gave them a bit of a hand with building a bridge from the barge to the shore to get it off again... I think that was the first crane in the Maldives...

michael james
23rd August 2005, 22:47
dsaile, ahoy there
It sounds very much as if we were shipmates on at least one Brocklebank ship.
I was 2nd Mate on Masirah 5th Aug to 31st Oct 1968 leaving the Masirah in Chalna and flying to Colombo to join the Mawana from 5th Nov 1968 to 15th June 1969. If memory serves the 2/0 of Mawana was unable to continue the voyage-for whatever reason - and Capt Yegg Thomas requested yours truly from the available 2/0`s on the Indian/Pakistan/Ceylonese coasts.
To be honest I do not remember the floating pontoons you mention but my memory is not what it was (if it isnt written down somewhere things are a bit vague !) PM me your name may jog the memory( belay that request understand its David Saile ?). Regards

RCHARLTON
23rd August 2005, 23:32
That cargo would almost certainly have been for the new (first) airport. I was on Masirah and Mawana in 1968 and 1969. One of those trips, I can't remember which, unloaded large floating pontoons at Seychelles. These would have been used for offloading later cargoes.
I recall that unloading took 2 or 3 days so we had lots of time ashore (I was engineer cadet at the time so hardly anything to do on board when in dock).

Hi Dave,

Remember Birkenhead Tech 1966 to 1968. Long time ago now. Last saw you after you had moved on to further your education and came on board either the Markhor or Mahsud can't quite remember which. Heard you went on to work for Shell shoreside. Are you still playing Basketball?

Best regards, (Thumb)

Ray Charlton

Marcus Cardew
24th August 2005, 13:22
I joined the Masirah in Dundee 27th December 68 for 10days (Whilst #4 & #5 hatches had a Jute Fire!!)

R58484956
24th August 2005, 14:12
Seychelles a very friendly place. Went into post office to buy stamps for my collection, man behind me said "I wrote book on sey; stamps come round to my house and I will give you copy. Went into shop to buy a conus shell (My namesake) man behind counter said "I wrote a book on sey; shells come to my house and I will give you a copy" Went into shop to buy a book on sey; birds, owner said it is unusual for tourist to buy that book and to say thank you I will send my car around to your hotel and pick you up and you can have my yacht (MC checked spelling) for tomorrow, thankfully it was a crewed yacht. The Minister of Tourism bought all our drinks one evening in the hotel. As you all say a friendly place.
Yes I did collect the books and still have them.

John Rogers
24th August 2005, 16:37
Now thats what I call friendly, by the way I have some land in Florida to sell you, make sure you come when the tide is out. Almost forgot I also have a bridge in Brooklyn I will sell you cheap.
John

Cunarder
19th October 2005, 11:26
Yes - I was on Mawana/GWWZ in 68/69 as Junior R/O with Phil Marriott as the CR/O - Alan Marsden