Caesarea & Sarnia

sarnarea
19th January 2008, 20:51
I am hoping to create a 3D walk through computer model of the former Weymouth - Channel Islands ships Caesarea (1960) and Sarnia (1961). Can anyone supply me with pictures of them showing the following :

Interiors, showing both passenger and crew accommodation.

Open decks and equipment / rigging etc.

The bridge.

Close up pictures of their exteriors.

Not too sure if any such material survives, but any help will be much appreciated.

snooper
22nd January 2008, 20:42
Hi Sarnarea,
Interesting to read your thread.as a small boy I used to live at nothe steps,opposite the old Weymouth sealink terminal.Sarnia,Caesarea,Maid of kent,Falaise all a part of my childhood memories...Thesedays,I collect postcards of these ferries.However,I only have about 30 as there wern't that many.They are mostly distant views taken from other side of harbour,obviously all exterior views as well.Its sounds like you already have these type of pics?
Peter.

DICK SLOAN
22nd January 2008, 20:56
Good luck sarnarea, the Caesarea was my favorite all time ferry to work on, no car decks, just passengers, and lots of cabins, I think you may have a massive job on, but I believe it can be done with the right ship plans and info...if I manage to find any, I will let you know.
regards Dick.

sarnarea
24th January 2008, 12:20
Thanks Dick. I have got detailed deck plans of the 1960's version of Caesarea and a forum member has supplied me with a 1970's seating plan.
As you say, a huge job - The crew accommodation alone is vast. I can only remember details of certain parts, so really need photos, but I doubt any have survived.

vectiscol
25th January 2008, 12:42
I saw the launching of Caesarea, and toured one of the completed ships before she left the builder's yard. Try the public library at Cowes, which I think holds the records of JS White's.

sarnarea
7th March 2008, 16:35
I have managed to obtain some good pictures of the interiors of the ships. They were taken at the J. Samuel White shipyard in 1960/1.

Here is a link for anyone interested in seeing them.

http://www.caesarea-sarnia.co.uk/page_458252.html

Locking Splice
7th March 2008, 18:14
Looking good, coming along nicely.

Best Regards

Yuge

Runrig
6th May 2008, 23:29
There are plenty of books that will help. Try "Designing Ships for Sealink" and "Ferries of the Channel Islands", both published by Ferry Publications, and "Sealink" published by Ian Allan. The latter is long out of print but the other two are still available.