Wallem Shipmanagement (UK) Ltd

derekhore
22nd January 2008, 12:09
Is there anyone else on SN who was with Wallem Shipmanagement (UK) Ltd....trading out of Radix House, Staines, Middlesex from around 1977 until 1980?

In charge of the UK office was Mike Sawyer, with his secretary and 'gofer' Thelma .. and the Engineering Super was a guy called Dave Martin.

They managed 2 clean oil/mild chemical vessels, the "Nordic Breeze" & "Nordic Aurora", both of around 32,000t dwt ... and both built at the Gotaverken Finnboda yard in Stockholm in 1977.

Both vessels were on world-wide spot charter.

anecltd
12th May 2008, 19:19
hello Derek, yes I was around then and I think we met - 3rd Mate then?
Two great ships, excellent accommodation, great Chinese crews and good crowd of engineers and deck officers on both. Mike kept me on the Aurora for 13 months!.

If you want to give me a call try a (anecltd@gmail.com) PM to exchange email addresses

derekhore
13th May 2008, 08:32
Hi

Have tried to email you, but the mail is sent back stating an unrecognised email address!!

Try me by PM to exchange email addresses again.

derekhore
16th September 2009, 12:27
Just in case there are any new members who were with Wallems!

derekhore
15th December 2009, 10:05
Great to have heard from 2nd Engineer John Kerr, who sailed on the Nordic Breeze with me.

Congratulations to John and his wife Gail on their forthcoming 35th wedding anniversary .. it was through some of their wedding photos on SN that we got in touch again!

Derek

Patrick Taylor
30th December 2009, 12:48
I was Master on 'Nordic Aurora' taking her out from the builders at Finnboda because, I believe, I was the only person in WSM H.K. with a British Master's Ticket.

derekhore
31st December 2009, 10:16
Hi Patrick....

A new name to me!

I took the 'Breeze' out from Finnboda with Joe Twite as Master .. and he seemed to work a rota with Ernie Lamb and Richard Fletcher as relieving Masters.

Patrick Taylor
6th January 2010, 12:59
Joe Twite was my mate and he took over from me in Curacao after we had discharged at Piney Point.

derekhore
11th January 2010, 14:25
Always remember when I had to meet him at Heathrow prior to flying out to Stockholm to stand-by the Breeze with him and Dave Huddleston (c/e), .. Mike Sawyer said "You cannot forget his name .. it's Twit with an e"!!

ccurtis1
14th January 2010, 17:23
Wasn't there an Indian Guy in Hong Kong who oversaw everything? Sen Gupta?

derekhore
15th January 2010, 16:32
Possibly, we had no dealings with the Hong Kong side!

The boss of the UK Management team was a guy called Mike Sawyer, based in Radix House, Staines, Middlesex .. and there was also a UK Engineer Super called Dave ??

Patrick Taylor
4th February 2010, 12:45
The Engineer Superintendent in the U.K. was Dave Martin. R.R.Sengupta was the Fleet Personnel Superintendent in WSM Hong Kong. I was actually Marine Superintendentin Hong Kong in those days, was happy to take out 'Nordic Aurora' as she was the first British flag ship I had commanded.

derekhore
7th February 2010, 18:44
Dave Martin .. that was the guy, thanks.

Did you visit the Breeze at all?

I spent some 2 months in the Malmen Hotel in Stockholm waiting for her to be built! We flew out expecting a vessel near completion, but on arrival at Gotterverken Finboda found a ships hull with no accomodation and a half finished engine room!

Good fun though, spending about 4 hours a day at the shipyard during the week, the rest of the time sightseeing etc .. though in the end we were glad to cpmplete sea trials and have a maiden voyage through the Brunsbuttel Canal to Southampton, were we loaded a full cargo of fresh water via hoses through the tank tops for Gibralter!

Jo Twite was very crafty there...as Company policy said no wives aboard for the maiden voyage .. so he classified the ballast run to Soton as the maiden voyage and wives/kids all joined at the loading port!
Anyway .. what could go wrong with a full cargo of fresh water aboard!!

Patrick Taylor
8th February 2010, 13:08
No, I didn't have anything to do with Breeze. After leaving Aurora in Curacao I returned to Hong Kong and the fleet there.

derekhore
9th February 2010, 13:57
Right...

The Breeze seemed to be run by Mike Sawyer and Dave Martin .. I don't think we had many of the Hong Kong team on board even when we did some trips there.

Mike Sawyer seemed to run his Radix House office from a pub on the Thames (forget the name) but whenever I went anywhere via the 'office' I was always met by his secretary Thelma and taken to the pub in her Morris 1000!!!

Stores were always ordered via Mike .. and often items came to us with Woolworth labels on so they obviously 'shopped local' for us then sent it out world-wide!

Patrick Taylor
12th February 2010, 12:41
I think you are probably correct in your thinking. As I mentioned I was only seconded to the U.K.office because of my ticket. I was happy to return to H.K., where I still live. One reason, which might amuse you, was something that happened on our arrival at Immingham to load the ship's first cargo. We arrived off the berth with two tugs and sat there for over an hour because of a change of shifts of the line handlers. The outgoing shift were allowed 30 minutes to clean up, and the incoming shift the same for changing their clothes. Had difficulty dealing with this.

derekhore
30th April 2010, 12:23
Only ever saw the Aurora once .. I think she came in for her guarantee dry dock in Stockholm just as we were leaving.

EFHL
13th November 2011, 22:06
Just in case there are any new members who were with Wallems!

Hello Derek. Logged on here for first time and saw your exchanges with Patrik Taylor.
What are you up to these days? I'm retired now, but still think back sometimes to memorable times on the Nordic Breeze.
Ernie Lamb

Richard Fletcher
14th November 2011, 13:43
Hello Ernia,

Just stumbled over your mail since I was looking for the Wallen UK address for my pension application form ! I think the last time we spoke was via VHF and you were Master of some 300k tons plus tanker & I was on the Ingram Osprey owned by Rowbothoms. I left the sea in 1987 and moved to Hamburg where I have been living & working ever since at the Holborn Refinery(formerly Esso) in charge of shipping schedules & ship vetting. I suppose all of us from the Wallen days are either now retired or will be soon. Hope you are well & enjoying life.
Richard Fletcher

derekhore
14th November 2011, 16:38
Hello Derek. Logged on here for first time and saw your exchanges with Patrik Taylor.
What are you up to these days? I'm retired now, but still think back sometimes to memorable times on the Nordic Breeze.
Ernie Lamb

Hello there Capt Ernie (who drove the fastest tanker in the west)!!

What with yourself and Richard now here, Jo Twite will be next!!
I left the sea back in 1987 after joining Rowbotham Tankships - I was actually threatened with the Ingram Osprey just after I joined them. I now work from home for a large Health Food shop.
Have had numerous email exchanges with 2/e John Kerr and his wife Gail, but apart from that there has been no other ex-Wallems around - what became of c/e Dave Huddlestone I wonder?
Yes, we had some great times on the Breeze - If you fancy an email chat sometime send me a personal message via this site and I will send you details etc - hope all is well with you.

Regards for now .. Derek

derekhore
29th April 2012, 10:21
Just bringing this Company thread back to life as I have heard from both Captain Ernie Lamb & 2/E John Kerr in the past 48 hours - anyone else out there ex-Wallems (UK)??

CHRISJKNIGHT
16th July 2012, 11:58
Hi Ernie,

Hope you are well. do you have any pictures of the Breeze and Aurora?
I sailed on the Nordic Aurora after the Breeze.

I joined Nordic Breeze in Stenningsund.

I am on Skype: cknight2. It would be great to have chat after all these years.

Very best wishes

Chris J Knight, (Ex 3/O). 1979-80

derekhore
16th July 2012, 12:08
Hi Chris ...

Not sure if we crossed paths on the Breeze or not? ... seen your update - guess we did!

I stood by her in Stockholm for a couple of months for completion & trials and was then 3/0 from Oct 77 - Feb 78 ... leaving in Stenungsund with Capt Ernie in control then so I guess you relieved me then.

I rejoined her in July 78 at Santa Cruz with Simon Bennet as Capt, but I think Peter Lush might have been 3/0 then?
Left in 12/78 as xtra2/0 but not sure who relieved me..

Final trip on the Breeze was from 3/79 until 7/79 when I left Wallems for the coast.

Never sailed on the Aurora.

CHRISJKNIGHT
16th July 2012, 12:52
Hi Richard,

I have just seen Derek's postings and Cpt Ernie Lamb and noticed that you had posted as well.

You may recall that you and I flew out to Caracas and then to Curacao all those years ago on a KLM flight from Amsterdam with just a bunch of pot smokers at the back of the plane. We wondered if the smoke would end up in the cockpit on that long flight!

I have often wondered if I might bump into you in Ashborne or Belper but saw your comment that now live in Hamburg. It would be great to hear from you. Please call me at anytime.

Chris Knight (ex acting 2/0 then 3/O) Nordic Aurora

derekhore
17th September 2012, 22:04
2 more ex-Wallems have now been in contact - Chris & Carol Metson (Greenway) - 2/0 and Sparky from days gone by!

CHRISJKNIGHT
17th September 2012, 22:20
Hi Derek,

Thanks for the message.

No I don't think I know Chris Metson.

Hope you are well

Chris.

derekhore
23rd March 2013, 15:07
For any ex-Wallem (UK) folk - attached is a list of UK personnel I have managed to put together via various contacts.

DEAN NOCK
29th March 2013, 20:45
Remember John Dipple And Chris Rasmussen From The Office Isle Of Man

derekhore
30th March 2013, 08:48
Remember John Dipple And Chris Rasmussen From The Office Isle Of Man

Hi Dean ...

There was no Isle of Man office when I was with them ... it was all run by Mike Sawyer from Radix House, Staines in Middlesex.

DEAN NOCK
3rd April 2013, 00:54
Hi Dean ...

There was no Isle of Man office when I was with them ... it was all run by Mike Sawyer from Radix House, Staines in Middlesex.

Bit before my time then Derek 1990 Wallems put me through Gravesend was all I.O.M then and after sea school ended up with Rowbothams ,Cableman first ship from Milford Haven think we spoke before on the Rockys thread you started seems to have gone quiet.

timo
3rd April 2013, 11:01
I was on the Wallems payroll from 1990 to 1997, they crewed the channel ferries Sally Sky and Sally Star. Geoff Shimmin was the guy that over see everything from the Isle of Man office. It my first manning agency job......bit of a strange set up......working on a ship that was running between France and the UK.....owned in Finland....flagged in the Bahamas.....managed from the UK......crewed from the Isle of Man.... and paid from Hong Kong.

derekhore
3rd April 2013, 13:42
Bit before my time then Derek 1990 Wallems put me through Gravesend was all I.O.M then and after sea school ended up with Rowbothams ,Cableman first ship from Milford Haven think we spoke before on the Rockys thread you started seems to have gone quiet.

I left Wallem UK at the end of 1979. At that time they only managed 2 ships .. Nordic Breeze & Nordic Aurora, both clean product tankers built by the Gotaverken Finnboda Yard, Stockholm, Sweden in 1977.

DEAN NOCK
3rd April 2013, 22:35
I was on the Wallems payroll from 1990 to 1997, they crewed the channel ferries Sally Sky and Sally Star. Geoff Shimmin was the guy that over see everything from the Isle of Man office. It my first manning agency job......bit of a strange set up......working on a ship that was running between France and the UK.....owned in Finland....flagged in the Bahamas.....managed from the UK......crewed from the Isle of Man.... and paid from Hong Kong.

WAS YOU ON THE SALLY STAR WHEN SHE HAD THE FIRE OF RAMSGATE TIMO.THINK IT WAS PENTMARINE HONG KONG.

DEAN NOCK
3rd April 2013, 22:38
I left Wallem UK at the end of 1979. At that time they only managed 2 ships .. Nordic Breeze & Nordic Aurora, both clean product tankers built by the Gotaverken Finnboda Yard, Stockholm, Sweden in 1977.

Is thatwhen you started with Rowbothams Derek.

timo
4th April 2013, 07:01
No Dean......I was on the Sally Sky most of that 7 years.......did the last 6 month on the Star, I don't know if Pentmarine had anything to do with the Hong Kong side of things, never see their name anywhere on the pay slips, it was just an office address in HK.

derekhore
4th April 2013, 08:32
Is thatwhen you started with Rowbothams Derek.

Hi Dean ...

Yea, I left Wallem UK at the end of 1979 and started with Rowbothams in March 1980 .. leaving them in August 1987 when they started changing the flag over to Douglas (IOM) - signed off articles on the Stellaman and refused to sign back on again, took my redundancy!

DEAN NOCK
4th April 2013, 21:39
Hi Dean ...

Yea, I left Wallem UK at the end of 1979 and started with Rowbothams in March 1980 .. leaving them in August 1987 when they started changing the flag over to Douglas (IOM) - signed off articles on the Stellaman and refused to sign back on again, took my redundancy!

Crikey! i dont remember the Stellaman theyd sold her by the time i was there although sailed with a chap called terry purcell who was Cook on there for a while humberside chap good cook aswel,wasnt they similar to ORIONMAN etc i joined the Cableman in 1990 december was registered in Douglas then,didnt realise at the time job wouldnt last. shame the way it all changed for the worse.strange how wallems took 4 cadets in 1990 3 from milford haven me being one of them, one from cardiff and we all ended up on Rowbothams.

DEAN NOCK
4th April 2013, 22:05
No Dean......I was on the Sally Sky most of that 7 years.......did the last 6 month on the Star, I don't know if Pentmarine had anything to do with the Hong Kong side of things, never see their name anywhere on the pay slips, it was just an office address in HK.

reason i asked i was with klyne tugs about 1995 we did a salvage job with the sally star was all over ITN NEWS she broke down and had a fire off RAMSGATE we stood by for 2 days didnt do a lot really got well paid for it.I did read somewhere the star and sky were still going abroad somewhere .

msi
9th July 2013, 06:30
Ernie Lamb

Capt. Lamb

Were you on Skye Trader? I think i was 2nd mate with you and you were kind to invite me to you home in 1987 for Christmas.

Email me at msi1995@hotmail.com

derekhore
14th July 2013, 11:23
Capt. Lamb

Were you on Skye Trader? I think i was 2nd mate with you and you were kind to invite me to you home in 1987 for Christmas.

Email me at msi1995@hotmail.com

Send me a PM and I will let you have Ernie Lambs email address if you like, unless he has already been in touch with you.

derekhore
9th August 2013, 09:48
John Kerr ... if you read this posting can you either PM me or send an email - I have tried emailing you but it seems the address I have for you is no longer in use.

Derek

** Contact now re-established - thanks John, have emailed you!

derekhore
5th May 2014, 09:27
Amazing what you find online when you are not looking for it!

Just found a website for Glynn Rees who was the first Sparky on the Breeze with me as 3/0, we did all the initial sea trials .. along with a great clutch of photo's too!

CHRISJKNIGHT
5th May 2014, 09:42
Hi Derek, that's interesting; can you send me some pics please?

I have not heard from Ernie Lamb. I mailed him when I first got in contact with you. Do you have a current email address for him?

Best regrds,

Chris Knight

derekhore
6th May 2014, 19:07
Hi Derek, that's interesting; can you send me some pics please?

I have not heard from Ernie Lamb. I mailed him when I first got in contact with you. Do you have a current email address for him?

Best regrds,

Chris Knight

Hi Chris ....

Glynn's pictures are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/CaptGlynn/NordicBreeze

He sailed with me on the Breeze as the first Sparky - we stood by her in Stockholm when I was 3/O.

I have not heard from Ernie Lamb for a couple of months now, but will PM you his email address again.