Life Time Chance!

DICK SLOAN
22nd January 2008, 21:41
Just for fun, you have a chance to go back in time and be a ships company guest for five days, on any ship you wish... Liner, Sail, Warship, Cargo etc. you can also take a camcorder. Which ship would you choose and why? (POP)

AncientBrit
22nd January 2008, 22:05
The BEAGLE when she first arrived at the Galapagos Islands.
I think it would be incredibly interesting to spend 5 days with Darwin during the time he was researching the theory of evolution.
AB

sparkie2182
22nd January 2008, 23:33
captain cooks endeavour............

having the chance to be the man who introduced beer to australia and n.z.

:)

benjidog
22nd January 2008, 23:53
Put me down for "The good ship Venus". :)

The figurehead would be my main interest.

Brian

Peter4447
22nd January 2008, 23:56
Bit risky but the 'Mary Celeste' - would love to find out the true story!
Peter4447(Smoke)

Derek Roger
23rd January 2008, 01:40
Noah's Ark ;
As Chief Engineer !

Thinks ? if the animals only came in 2 by 2 what did they have for lunch ?????

Derek
PS
The Arc was the best built ship in its day ; Bar none . And fortunately it did not have a funnel .

PPS
I think he had some wine making ingredients though ! so at least it was not a " Dry Ship "

Have fun Lads

billyboy
23rd January 2008, 07:57
Engineer on the ex tug Arctic p.
Reason: have you seen her lately?
real cush job that would be nowadays eh!

trotterdotpom
23rd January 2008, 11:56
Put me down for "The good ship Venus". :)

The figurehead would be my main interest.

Brian

Brian, wouldn't you have to be dead to get the full benefit?

John T.

spongebob
23rd January 2008, 12:08
put me down for the Titanic, the least I could do would be to warn them about the iceberg

Tmac1720
23rd January 2008, 14:11
Like Bob I'd go for the Titanic, if only to reset the sluice valves (Thumb)

jimmyc
24th January 2008, 01:55
wouldnt be single handed but I take my hat off to him
first to sail single handed round the world
he also did it in a boat he himself built

spongebob
24th January 2008, 02:23
Yes Jimmy C, perhaps I would jump off the Titanic if it did not avoid the iceberg and hope to get aboard the "Spray" .It proved to be a very safe ship with a real master at the art of sailing

John Crossland
24th January 2008, 03:49
captain cooks endeavour............

having the chance to be the man who introduced beer to australia and n.z.

:)

(Applause) (Applause) (Applause)

rickles23
24th January 2008, 05:45
I would like to go back to my late Father's wartime ship, HMS Prins Albert. I would then get the whole story and some decent photographs.

Chouan
24th January 2008, 13:57
Yes Jimmy C, perhaps I would jump off the Titanic if it did not avoid the iceberg and hope to get aboard the "Spray" .It proved to be a very safe ship with a real master at the art of sailing

But didn't the "Spray" disappear without trace along with Slocum?

skymaster
24th January 2008, 14:45
Titanic!What really happened?

skymaster

Peter Fielding
24th January 2008, 15:59
Has to be the "Vital Spark". I've read the stories so many times, I feel as though I already have sailed on her.

benjidog
24th January 2008, 23:47
Titanic!What really happened?

skymaster

There is a rumour that it hit an iceberg and sunk though not many people have heard about it. Please keep it quiet.

Bloody good job I say with that awful woman singing on it. Surprising it didn't crack the iceberg into gin-and-tonic-sized pieces. (Jester)

Brian

John Briggs
24th January 2008, 23:57
For me it would have to be one of those magnificent Blue Flue liners!

Chouan
25th January 2008, 09:52
We could always fdind out whether BF were as wonderful as we've been told!

tacho
25th January 2008, 10:28
Do a trip on a Viking Longship. Shots of the voyage plus a bit of bit of rape and pillage. Got to be a winner.

trotterdotpom
25th January 2008, 15:31
Do a trip on a Viking Longship. Shots of the voyage plus a bit of bit of rape and pillage. Got to be a winner.

Blue funnel never had any Longships, but if you fancy some rape and pillage, book in where I work - see what you think.

John T.

tacho
25th January 2008, 15:41
Not quite the kind of rape and pillage I had in mind.

Re Blue Flue:-

As "Holt" is a surname with Scandinavian connections. It's possible that Alfred's ancestors had a couple of longships . If so I bet they were better than everyone else's, and that the crews were successful rapers and pillagers having been properly trained in the art.

Bill Davies
25th January 2008, 16:00
Tacho,

Well of course!

Chouan
25th January 2008, 16:07
They probably had their own shore based training establishment as well. But also some longships with Chinese crews who were just as good at half the cost, but which nobody talks about.

trotterdotpom
25th January 2008, 17:27
The rapists were so successful, they had many descendents in Wales who invented the round longship, aka "coracle", which they painted every day and sailed round and round in useless circles.

John T.

DICK SLOAN
28th January 2008, 00:59
The Finest Man-of-War of her time, the Sovereign of the Seas designed by Phineas Pett, on September the 25th 1637, King Charles l, was present at the launching ceremony at Woolwich, but she stuck on the slipway and was not launched until weeks later, she cost 40,833 to build of which 6,691 were spent on extravagant decoration, in 1652 Cromwell had her reduced to a two decker, also naming her Sovereign, she was nicknamed by the Dutch the Golden Devil, in 1660 during restoration she was renamed Royal Sovereign.
On the January 29th 1696 through a watchmans negligence the ship caught fire in Sovereigns Reach River Medway at Chatham, and she was completely destroyed. I would have liked to have been on this ship before she was destroyed or even been there to stop the fire and save her....

sparkie2182
28th January 2008, 01:09
the much acclaimed "mary rose" wasnt exactly a rip roaring success either..................

orcades
6th November 2008, 01:23
benjidog, my interest would be the mess deck table!!!!!!!!!!

bluenoser
24th January 2009, 04:08
Hi ;
How about as an officer with Admiral Nelson on H M S Victory as she's bearing down on the French -Spanish fleet at Trafalgar. Although from what i've read Victory took quite a beating Nelson of course was killed , but it would still be worth seeing that magnificant sea of white canvas sail.
Bluenoser

jimmyc
25th January 2009, 01:13
But didn't the "Spray" disappear without trace along with Slocum?

On November 14th of 1909, at the age of 65, he set out on another lone voyage to South America leaving from Vineyard Haven on Martha's Vineyard, but was never heard from again.

In 1892, a friend, Captain Eben Pierce, offers Slocum a ship that "wants some repairs" Slocum goes to Fairhaven, MA to find that the "ship" is a rotting old oyster sloop propped up in a field. It is the Spray.

ddraigmor
25th January 2009, 01:41
The 'Turmoil' for the 'Flying Enterprise'!

Jonty

John Rogers
25th January 2009, 02:03
HMS Bounty for me and lots of shore leave in Tahiti.

BobClay
25th January 2009, 02:03
I think maybe the Golden Hind, the last few days of her circumnavigation with Francis Drake.

With a hold full of stolen swag and hoping against hope that Elizabeth was still on the throne (otherwise he could be in deep sh1t).

Now that would be good to put on camera....

(Gleam)

peter drake
4th February 2009, 19:05
Just a question for Derek. Was Noah's Ark the irst Methane gas tanker

Pat Kennedy
4th February 2009, 21:35
Dick,
Can you bend the rules so that we can go forward in time?
If so , I want a trip on the Starship Voyager, just so I can have a real good look at that Seven of Nine.
Pat