Navy ship U-turns after two days (BBC News)

SN NewsCaster
23rd January 2008, 13:30
A Royal Navy aircraft carrier is forced to make a U-turn just two days after setting sail for the Indian Ocean.

More from BBC News... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/news/int/search/news%2Bsport/ship/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7204600.stm)

AncientBrit
23rd January 2008, 18:13
In the "Olden times" before they trained people to sit on their butts and push computer buttons to control everything, there used to be "Tiffy's" who could fix stuff like that.
What do they do if the heads get blocked up? Do they carry imigrant ratings from 3rd world countries to do the jobs that everyone else is too educated or over qualified to do?
AB

JoK
24th January 2008, 12:05
I would assume that the meat fridge is very large to accomodate the amount of staples the crew of a naval ship would need.
That means a large amount of refrigeration gas circulating. If there is a leak they may not carry the gas required to recharge the system. If they are as cash strapped as our Navy, they may not have the part that is needed, onboard, to repair the system. That's reality, not the comments that someone is sitting on his ass not knowing what button to push (though admittedly that also may be the cause).

Paul UK
25th January 2008, 12:17
My thoughts were if Gibralta was still an RN port they would not have had to turn back, more penny pinching bites the government on a~se.

Paul

Pat Thompson
25th January 2008, 14:05
Greetings,

Why didn't I spot this earlier, (yet another "Senior Moment"). It was Illustrious who sailed for "Global 86", (aka "Globule 86"), and got as far as the Nab (ish (sic)) before one of her gearboxes became an "ex-gearbox" and she had to return to Pompey to be mended. The Mighty Olmeda, then quite geriatric, did everything expected of her, but of course I am quite biased (O'Boats dontcha know).

Question:- "Was she given a chilly reception when she returned or did the Port Admiral turn the heat up". I think we should be told.

Aye

Pat Thompson

You can't get enough photo's of "O'Boats". (and given the foregoing you can't get enough "O'Boats"

AncientBrit
25th January 2008, 19:30
I guess maintenance capabilities are so compartmentalized in todays modern navy that Plymouth couldn't fix the problem. Would have saved some sea time and quite possible a whole raft of embarassment, after already failing to get out of the driveway once, to have her make a visit to Plymouth for the repairs rather than go all the way back to Portsmouth again.
Makes one wonder about the wonders of modern science that we hear so much about these days.
I steamed to the other end of the world for two trips on a vessel that was launched, the year I was born, we operated in deplorable weather conditions, thousands of miles from any maintenance facilities and not once did we miss an ETA.
Give me progress, or give me efficiency. It more and more seems you cant have both.
AB

Mr.Tom07
25th January 2008, 20:53
Its not hugely urprsing given the ship is nearing 30 years old. Still we shouuld proablyy build some bases on the islands we own to accomdate the ships.

SeaStoryWriter
25th January 2008, 22:35
It's an aircraft carrier-send a plane with parts. Bet DHL would deliver-might even get the Sears repair man to call!