glenpark

highlander403
26th January 2008, 11:07
does anybody have pics or know where to get pics of the glenpark circa 1974 or any date would do..

scotty

gdynia
26th January 2008, 11:35
Scotty

On SN at
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=55896

ian d.cameron
26th January 2008, 13:26
Hi Scotty.
Only place I could find the 1971 Glenpark
http://www.ship-photos.com/rtfs/gbr1.rtf

randcmackenzie
26th January 2008, 14:41
Scotty

On SN at
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=55896

That's the 1956 Glenpark, the next one was a geared bulkcarrier by Connel or UCS - Clyde anyway.

tanker
26th January 2008, 14:48
For You GLENPARK

highlander403
26th January 2008, 19:42
hi guys thanks for the quick replies, the first pic of glenpark was a wee bit early for me but a lot better looking ship than the bulk carrier i was on, having a bit of difficulty getting to see the pic on ship-photos but ill get there eventually as you can see im not into these new fangled thingumyjigs lol

regards scotty

Gulpers
26th January 2008, 20:11
Scotty,

There is a photograph of your Glenpark click here. (http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/photos/DENHOM07.jpg) (Thumb)

You may notice something familiar about the website you visit. (==D)

Stephen J. Card
26th January 2008, 21:40
Scotty,

There is a photograph of your Glenpark click here. (http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/photos/DENHOM07.jpg) (Thumb)

You may notice something familiar about the website you visit. (==D)

Ray,

That must be one of the few photographs of GLENPARK floating about the internet.

GLENPARK was a great little ship. I sailed in her as 2/M from 11 February 1976 to 28 May 1976. Jined at Skikda in Lybia as sge discharged grain. From there we went round to Valetta for six weeks in drydock... repairing St Lawrence Seaway damage. From there to Enden via Ceuta for bunkers, where we loaded a cargo of coke for Detroit. (This was a strange run- ususally coke came from the lakes to Emden). The we went round to Calumet to load steel coils for Antwerp.

The coils for Antwerp was another strange run... this cargo usually went in the opposite direction. We loaded some 25,000 tons.. evenly distributed in the 7 holds. Nothing remarkable about loading at all. On arrival Antwerp the stevedre wanted to see the cargo plan. The mate gave him a typed sheet with the tonnages in each hatch. Then the bomb dropped. He wanted to see the 'real' cargo plan with all the marks with amounts in each parcel. Well, the short answer is that wasn't one. We were told at loading that the coils were scrap and there had ben no mention of marks. When discharge started the whole mess had to be sorted out on the dock.

GLENPARK was a happy ship. John McLeod was master and Alan Dun was mate.

Going to her sistership.... SCOTSPARK ranks as a favourite. I was the first cadet to be sent to SCOTSPARK. Joined her in November 1971 and spent eight very happy months in her. She was quite new then and almost spotless. Captains Fred Hutchings, E. Watson and Ian Wildish.
Mates were James Felix Mason and JBW Edgar. 2/M Gerry Staub and Robbie Morgan was 3rd. C/E's were John Alexamder and and Frank Semple and Mervin Gowl was the Lecky

Captain Watson was taken off in Shields after a mild heart attack. A gentleman with a rather grand white beard. James Mason called him Nitty Whiskers. After the OM left in Shields a short poem appeared in the chartroom. Mason's handiwork....

And now the story can be told
And to presume is not to bold
Of how the SCOTSPARK became greatly improved
When 'Nitty' was removed!

Watsn had his heart attack while the ship was on passage from Rotterdam to Shields. I came up the bridge for 4 to 8 with the mate. The 2/M said that Watson had come up an hour or two earlier. He was out in the wheelhouse in the pilot's chair. Anyhow, we were due at Shields pilot at about 0600. As we made the approach the OM didn't say anything so the mate (ex Master Shaw Savill) rang E.O.P. and commenced slow down. Picked up the pilot and proceeded inwards to Smith Dock lay-by berth. 2/M went after and 3/M forward for berthing. We came alongside and went FWE. By this time it is getting daylight and we could she that the OM was a bit 'distressed'. The attack was very minor but he was no in great shape. His wife came up and we got him down to the cabin. He made some recovery but the next day finally went off to hospital.

Next OM was Fred Hutchings. Son after departure Shield for Geelong the Om and mate were having breakfast in the saloon. The rule on Scotspark was. One Egg per man.... per day... PERHAPS! Hutchings told the Chief Steward in no uncertain terms that we could all have two eggs for breakfast. From then on the mate... Mason... and ex Master Shaw Savill would walk in the saloon each morning, sit down at the head table, look at the OM and say in a loud voice, "G'morning 'Two Eggs'!

My most enjoyable job on SCOTSPARK was ballasting and deballasting. Joining straight from WARWICK FORT, ballast operations were not a problem!
Best record was just under 12 hours for a complete de-ballast.

My third Denholm ship was WELLPARK for four months in '79/80 relieving Jack Davidson. Not quite the same as the earlier 'Dynamdee' boats... too mdern and too posh!

Stephen

highlander403
26th January 2008, 23:46
thanks gulpers for that photo much appreciated never been able to get one before,

steven j card thanks also for for the report on your time on glenpark

i joined her on 13/4/72 in alexandria and paid off 23/9/72, joined in alexandria and sat at anchor for weeks waiting to discharge grain, moved on to senegal then kpeme in togo for phosphates to moji in japan and light to townsville/mckay for sugar for london where we paid off, the only excitement on the whole trip was i lost part of my finger on my left hand and was sowed back on by the om mr smart from glasgow if i remember.

scotty

Gulpers
26th January 2008, 23:55
You are welcome Scotty. (Thumb)
No problem at all - only took a moment or two on Google.
The real credit must go to our own Benjidog who has obviously put many hours work into his excellent website (click here) (http://www.benjidog.co.uk/) which hosts the Allen Collection.

Gulpers
27th January 2008, 00:13
Stephen,

Thanks for your essay.... eh sorry, post! (Applause)
It's really rewarding when someone conjures up memories from our time with J&J's.

I never sailed on any of the Parks but your post has brought back a couple of names from my past.

I sailed with Alan Dunn on my first trip - he was Mate on Troll River.
If I remember correctly, Alan had a connection with Gray Dunn Caramel Wafers.

Ian Wildish was Old Man on Nordic Crusader when we laid up in Loch Striven.
Avon Bridge came alongside us and I fondly remember him having Apoplexy when he spotted her Old Man, Tommy Isbister, sporting shoulder length hair! (EEK)

Stephen J. Card
27th January 2008, 01:43
thanks gulpers for that photo much appreciated never been able to get one before,

steven j card thanks also for for the report on your time on glenpark

i joined her on 13/4/72 in alexandria and paid off 23/9/72, joined in alexandria and sat at anchor for weeks waiting to discharge grain, moved on to senegal then kpeme in togo for phosphates to moji in japan and light to townsville/mckay for sugar for london where we paid off, the only excitement on the whole trip was i lost part of my finger on my left hand and was sowed back on by the om mr smart from glasgow if i remember.

scotty

Scotty....

The old brain ain't getting fuzzy at all. I just remembered a small photo in an old album. It is Bermuda.. will dig it out when I'm there in May. I joined SCOTSPARK in Thunder Bay, Great Lakes. We brought grain back to Rotterdam then made the run over to Shields for drydocking. From there we proceeded to Geelong and loaded grain for Alexandria... the long way.. round the Cape.

I know we were in Geelong on 9 January 1972.... RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH burned out in Hong Kong.... . That would have put us in Alex around 20th February... ten days discharging and then proceed to Gib for bunkers, we would have been there during the first week in March. We came alongside around midnight... not to late for the gang to get dressed and get ashore before closing time! I have vague memories of visiting a very seedy strip club.

Anyhow we sailed next day and soon after getting through the Straits... on our back to Geelong, we passed in inbound GLENPARK. She must have been heading to Alex... and arrived just about the time you joined her in mid-March.

As for your finger... hope you suffered no lasting damage....

A. Smart Chief Officer
A. Smart Captain
A. Smart Doctor !!!!

or as we used to say on NAESS PIONEER

A. Smart BAST**D !!!!!!!!

Sailing from Rio one night on NAESS PINEER after two weeks in 'heaven' , Smart came out to the bridge wing as asked, 'Did you visit Copacabana?'. "No Captain." Five minutes later, "Did you visit Monte Christo? "No Captain." Later.... "Did you visit XYZ?" "No Captain." He then swung round and gave me a good belt on my ear and said, "Dirty little bast**ds, bagging off in every port!" Of course he was referring not onlyto myself, but the other first tripper as well. This was the same trip that he went to Malcolm Thorpe (Mate), "Mister Thorpe! I know the two cadets have done a lot of work building the bar on board this ship, and I don't mind if they have a beer once in a while, but I will not have two first-trip cadets sitting in the bar at lunchtime drinking pink gins!"

Good old days!

Stephen

Stephen J. Card
27th January 2008, 01:55
Stephen,

Thanks for your essay.... eh sorry, post! (Applause)
It's really rewarding when someone conjures up memories from our time with J&J's.

I never sailed on any of the Parks but your post has brought back a couple of names from my past.

I sailed with Alan Dunn on my first trip - he was Mate on Troll River.
If I remember correctly, Alan had a connection with Gray Dunn Caramel Wafers.

Ian Wildish was Old Man on Nordic Crusader when we laid up in Loch Striven.
Avon Bridge came alongside us and I fondly remember him having Apoplexy when he spotted her Old Man, Tommy Isbister, sporting shoulder length hair! (EEK)

Alan Dunn was a bit of a lad. Pure evil! Even managed to look innocent sometimes! He liked to tell of his good days with British India.

Ian Wildish was master on NAESS PIONEER when I first join in July 1930. He was relieved by Bobbie Kinder and then Angus Smart. Ian was a real gentleman. For a first trip cadet his rank seemed a very long way off. I remember the big buzz on PIONEER at the time.... master's wages just hit the 5,000 pounds p.a. mark. A fortune!

The mates on PIONNER then were Donald Ross 3/O ... later fleet commodore ! Neil B. Morrison 2/O and Thorpe was mate. Ian Smith was senior cadet for the first couple of weeks but he left and another first tripper joined, John Cooke. I don't think John stayed at sea for too many years.
Others included Willie Rush C/E, Hughie Green 3/E, Harry Mort (Rigger Mort) as Lecky and Alistair Cuthil was the Eng Cadet. Alistair was sadly killed in a cycle crash a few years later.

Stephen

John Cassels
27th January 2008, 10:26
Stephen , ref your remark about loading coils in Antwerp. Same thing happened to me on my first loading as port capt. for Cast. Stevedores
wanted a cargo plan showing stowage of every coil ( all 28.000 mt).
This was easily solved. I gave them a plan with each individual number and
when the stevedore realised the amount of sorting they would have to do
on the quay to get each coil on board in the proper order , the demand was
dropped pretty quickly.

Ref yr last post , sailed on the Naess Pioneer as 3/M in 1969 but never
realised she had ben built prior 1930.

highlander403
27th January 2008, 11:19
yes steven that must of been the glenpark going to alexandria think she was there 6 weeks altogether we flew london via beirut to cairo we had to get off in beirut through customs where the chief steward(no names mentioned) had mens mags and were confiscated with the threat of a prison stay, captain smart managed to smoothe things over and we continued on our merry way.

As for your finger... hope you suffered no lasting damage....

A. Smart Chief Officer
A. Smart Captain
A. Smart Doctor !!!!

or as we used to say on NAESS PIONEER

yes he was indeed a smart xxxxx lol

he couldent wait to have a go with the finger to test out his first aid course, no anaesthetic as chinese (well they got the blame) had nicked it

after 14 days we arrived in moji and i was taken to hospital the doctor took a look at it and in his own words asks

dr who do this ?

me ships captain

he looks and hmmm's for a while
then comes out with this one

dr tell ships captain "NOT BECOME DOCTOR " he had sewn on at a 45 degree angle

that line will be like my finger in my memory for ever ..

some of the guys were a smart capt, roy bloomer eng, danny (shoreside) stewart eng, brian cassidy eng, ken brown mate, steve suttie ch/eng and a female radio officer from canada dallas bradshaw, any of you guys out there remember them..

thanks for the replies and memories guys

regards scotty

Gulpers
27th January 2008, 12:24
JC / Stephen,

Strange how a few seemingly unrelated comments can conjure up memories.
As I said earlier, Troll River was my first ship and we loaded steel coils in Antwerp for Boston in January '73. DCMarine ( Donald Campbell) was 2/O at the time.

Others on board were Big Jim Nichol (Old Man), Alan Dunn (Mate), Ian MacDonald (3/O), Kenny MacDonald (Deck Cadet), Terry Horsefield (R/O), Jimmy Halbert (C/E), Bob Todd (2/E), Ian MacAskill (3/E), Tommy Little(?) (Crane Engineer), Alan Hill (4/E), Keith Hastings (Eng Cadet), Willie Allan (Leckie) and Sandy Don (C/Stwd).

On the crossing we got a real pasting in heavy weather and suffered a lot of damage - many deck fractures, lost the motors from both windlasses, flooded the fo'c'sle store, flooded the for'd pumproom ....... and more!

One of my lasting memories was that throughout the height of the storm, Alan Dunn permanently wore his B.O.T. lifejacket - didn't do much to boost anyone's confidence, never mind me as a first trip Cadet! (Jester)

muldonaich
27th January 2008, 13:05
i take it he had no faith in the troll river then went through some really bad weather in her she was a good enough sea ship mabye it was because big jim was old man and would not stop swearing lol kev.

Stephen J. Card
27th January 2008, 13:38
Ref yr last post , sailed on the Naess Pioneer as 3/M in 1969 but never
realised she had ben built prior 1930.

Ah John... I was talking abut the OLD Naess Pioneer! .

Do you remember who relieved you as 3/M? There was a lad on board when I joined in 1st July 19.... 70. Thin, dark hair, smoked a pipe. Old... probably in his mid 20s. Was only on board with him for three week befre Doland Ross joined. The 3/M had come to the PIONEER from the Denholm Line Steamers flagship HOPEPARK.

After PIONEER...and Phase I at GCNS, remembering the stories I had heard about HOPEPARK from this 3/M and tales of the great NAESS CHAMPION from Donald Ross I went, cap in hand to Trevor Hipkin, and begged to be sent to a tanker for my next trip. Trevor came through OK for me... WARWICK FORT. Enough to put me off tankers for life! Of course I ended up on a few more tankships... AVON BRIDGE, NORDIC CLANSMAN, SEVONIA TEAM ... she was OK, and I almost got sent to MUIRFIELD as mate. Close call!

Stephen

Stephen J. Card
27th January 2008, 13:47
he couldent wait to have a go with the finger to test out his first aid course, no anaesthetic as chinese (well they got the blame) had nicked it

regards scotty

While on SCOTSPART the 2nd. Cook was reported by the Chief Steward to be suffering from constipation. Gerry Staub 2/O gave the Chief Steward half a dozen packets of Epsom Salts with the instruction to put a teaspoon of salts in a glass of water and give to the cook. Well, the Steward put all of it in a glass and gave it to the poor cook. Poor bugger nearly died... no need to describe the state of his bunk and cabin, and the ship actually diverted to Capetown. Before we arrive he recovered so we continued on passage. Several weeks later we were out on deck and the 2nd Cook comes up to Gerry, put his arm around him and says with a gold-toooth filled grin... "Second Mate, Number One doctor!"

Stephen

Stephen J. Card
27th January 2008, 13:55
JC / Stephen,

Strange how a few seemingly unrelated comments can conjure up memories.
As I said earlier, Troll River was my first ship and we loaded steel coils in Antwerp for Boston in January '73. DCMarine ( Donald Campbell) was 2/O at the time.

Others on board were Big Jim Nichol (Old Man), Alan Dunn (Mate), Ian MacDonald (3/O), Kenny MacDonald (Deck Cadet), Terry Horsefield (R/O), Jimmy Halbert (C/E), Bob Todd (2/E), Ian MacAskill (3/E), Tommy Little(?) (Crane Engineer), Alan Hill (4/E), Keith Hastings (Eng Cadet), Willie Allan (Leckie) and Sandy Don (C/Stwd).

On the crossing we got a real pasting in heavy weather and suffered a lot of damage - many deck fractures, lost the motors from both windlasses, flooded the fo'c'sle store, flooded the for'd pumproom ....... and more!

One of my lasting memories was that throughout the height of the storm, Alan Dunn permanently wore his B.O.T. lifejacket - didn't do much to boost anyone's confidence, never mind me as a first trip Cadet! (Jester)

Ray,

Quite an ordinary crossing then? You were indeed fortunate to have chaps like Bobby Todd and Ian MacAskill on board. Both of these gentlemen came to the LOCH boats a few years later... Ian as Chief Freezer. I had a card from Todd a few weeks ago. Have not seen him since 2001.

I never saw any of the Troll boats. In fact, quit amazing that, considering the size of the fleet, how little we used to see company's ships. What other vessels did you sail in?

Stephen

Gulpers
27th January 2008, 16:17
All in my Profile Stephen. (Thumb)

Stephen J. Card
27th January 2008, 20:29
All in my Profile Stephen. (Thumb)

Ray,

I hope you saved that cap badge! I had mine, plus the one from my brief time with Shaw Savill, mounted onto a piece of black velvet and framed under glass.

You sailed in some nice ships... GINA MARIA! Did you ever hear about the crew who went over the side on Christmas Day in some port and painted VA in front of GINA? I visited the ship once. She was in New Jersey and a few of us trekked over from Weehawkin to saw hello. Neil Morrison was 2/O there at the time... he was on her when she ran aground off Belieze.

Stephen

Dick S
27th January 2008, 22:07
Was 2nd Mate on the Glenpark when she dry docked in Durban in the late 70s - don't remember names was agood trip with acouple of out of the way ports. can anyone remeber the names. I paid off in the Baltic. That I do remember.

I must be getting old!

Dick

ericjennings
24th September 2012, 14:11
Hello Scotty and others who knew the Glenpark.

I joined the Glenpark as a passage worker in Caines, North Queensland, Australia in September 1958. The cargo was sugar from Montreal. From Montreal, we went back along the St.Lawrence to a place called Three Rivers and there loaded grain for Hull where I was discharged and paid off.

The three months or so I was on the Glenpark, there is a lot of stories I could tell and would be happy to share if you are interested.

I include a photograph of the other ship, the motor-vessel Georgic, which was the ship I went to Australia in as a 10 emmegrant in May 1955. I include the photograph of the Georgic simply because it had very chequered and interesting history in it's own right, and at the time I went to Australia as a passenger it had officially already been decomissioned.

Eric.