Hertford

Doxfordman
4th May 2005, 03:52
Yet another "H" boat.

tanker
4th May 2005, 09:51
Ok Dox. now miss HURUNUI-HAPARANGI- HINAKURA-CUMBERLAND- and HUNTINGDON .
Gp (LOL)

Doxfordman
6th May 2005, 04:04
Can't find pics of em anywhere, apart from the P & O book.

cambria49
13th May 2005, 05:22
Take a look at this link: Australia Trade (http://www.australiatrade.com.au/Shipping/History/Photos/Index.htm) . I think you will find some of what you are looking for there.

Rgds, Justin

Rusty
30th May 2005, 21:10
Can't find pics of em anywhere, apart from the P & O book.

Which ones did you want? I've got shots of the Huntingdon, Haparangi, Hertford and Hororata

Any use?

Rusty

Doug Rogers
31st May 2005, 04:26
Yet another "H" boat.

Makes me want to run away to sea again, nice picture!!

flyer682
31st May 2005, 10:18
Which ones did you want? I've got shots of the Huntingdon, Haparangi, Hertford and Hororata

Any use?

Rusty
Yep! Post them on the Site! :)

(Fly)

Pat McCardle
1st July 2005, 13:19
Yet another "H" boat.

Big Pommie meat boat with square windows!!

Pilot mac
13th July 2005, 09:27
As they used to say 'happiness is H shaped' !

I sailed on the Cumberland and our Motorman (Bill Buckland ?) came to us from the Hertford when she was sold. He had served on Hertford for I think over fifteen years.
I always remember the amount of mail he used to get, apparently his wife wrote every day.

Great ships, hard graft and even harder play. Dark crew bar with only a small skylight providing a gothic ambience (especially when painted matt black!)

Hororata was not an 'H' Boat to the best of my knowledge.

Dave

Tom Haywood
14th July 2005, 05:03
Hauraki,Haparangi,Hinakura,Hurunui, Cumberland, Hertford, Huntington and Sussex were all sisters.
11,300 tons.twin screw M/V 16 knots. 510,000 c.f.R

The Horra was not a H boat but I belive a class of her own, when built was the largest reefer ship then built at 570,00 c.f.R ?

Tom Haywood

Doxfordman
21st September 2005, 23:43
Does anyone remember the "black museum"?? It was the name of the bar on the Sussex. We used to play sussex by the sea every time entered and left port, went down real well in KIWI and Aussie.

Great days.

Scratcher
30th September 2005, 22:21
Hi,
I sailed aboard her JOS.Captian Dell(Ding Dong Dell)It was early sixties(have to dig out the old discharge book)Sailed from London/Aussie/Tasmania and back to London.(Fruit run)bloody apples,still can't stand cooked apples!!!!!!! The first job we had working by in London was chipping that Radar mast.It was february and freezing!!!!!!!!!!

Alan Dunk
2nd June 2013, 16:02
Hi

I sailed on the Hertford as 7th Engineer from March 1961 to June 1961 and then stood by in Falmouth dry dock. Roger Dell was Master (Very nice man) and Claude Shepherd was Chief Engineer (No comment) a very interesting voyage.

Regards

Alan J Dunk

alex page
4th June 2013, 05:20
The Horo was a steam job . A good war story is how the engineers patched her up in the Azores and got her home .
Alex