Who is she or Who was she ?

Santos
4th May 2005, 22:03
Just a little teaser, who was she ? - who is she ? (?HUH) --- she has a famous sister (LOL) ( not totally identical ) who is still afloat.

I bet alot of you know who ?

Chris.

Santos
4th May 2005, 22:50
No (LOL)

Chris

julian anstis
4th May 2005, 22:55
looks like the AUSTRALIS to me.....not sure what her sister was though

Santos
4th May 2005, 23:00
Drat you got it (Applause)

But who was she ? and you saw her sister tonight !!!! (LOL)

Chris

david smith
4th May 2005, 23:04
forget the bit of metal, the rock is a of a metamorphic type, so this is a volcanic island, and I suggest the Atlantic

japottinger
4th May 2005, 23:04
America, but did she have a sister?

julian anstis
4th May 2005, 23:06
"Thats it .....half a story" ! so who was she then (Thumb) .....??

Santos
4th May 2005, 23:07
YES YOU SAW HER TONIGHT TOO (LOL)

As I said, not totally identical but very alike and a bit younger !!!!

Chris.

japottinger
4th May 2005, 23:17
Not United States surely?
A a much younger and faster sister

Santos
4th May 2005, 23:27
YEAH SPOT ON (Applause)

United States it is.( Our Web Site Header ) (LOL) I tried to put a photo on showing the two together but it was too big.

But if you go to the following site the full story is there :-

http://www.lostliners.com/Liners/US_Lines/America/intro.html

Chris.

Jan Hendrik
5th May 2005, 06:10
Hey guys. Go to the existing thread Great Ocean Liners - United States - and it is all posted here. Brother/Sister whatever.
ss United States
ss America

(Eats)
And references made to other sites
Cheers

"this vessel no longer requires antifouling" bugger

flyer682
5th May 2005, 10:06
Also go to the Chandris Forum and have a look at the post I put in last night re the AUSTRALIS.
The photo displayed above shows her as she is today - aground in the Canary Islands, where she has been since 1994.

tell
7th May 2005, 01:41
Fuerto venturer

Jan Hendrik
7th May 2005, 02:15
Hey Tell, English is spoken here, so translation please.....

aadje
23rd November 2005, 16:29
Good day to all,

The remaining forepart of the ss american star, ex ss America, ex ss USS Westpoint in wartime, ex ss Australis, ex ss Alferdoss and when in tow the s.s. American Star most probably is now facing her last days. A tourist has taken photo's on 5th November showing vessel is now changing position and more and more listing over ps. So, after being washed ashore in 1994 the end seems to approach.

b/regards
aadje

Bruce Carson
23rd November 2005, 16:36
United States it is.( Our Web Site Header ) (LOL) I tried to put a photo on showing the two together but it was too big.
Chris.[/QUOTE]

There's a picture of the two together in the Gallery.

http://tinyurl.com/cv5sp

Bruce C.

sam2182sw
24th November 2005, 19:45
she was under tow in the med tow line prted in a stoem after trying to get new rope on board she went aground she was on her way to the scrap yard .
sam2182sw

aadje
24th November 2005, 22:24
Vessel was entitled by new owners to be towed to Thailand for conversion into a floating hotel. Owners decided to have vessel towed via Gibraltar instead of through the suez canal. Vessel was under tow of the ukrainian tug Nephtegaz-67. During a severe storm, january 1994, on the atlantic towlines broke free and tug left ss american star 2 days drifting. No attemps were made to make connection to the vessel again. Nephtegaz-67 left vessel unattended and only reported during passing gibraltar she lost her tow.

regards
aadje

Jeff Egan
25th November 2005, 16:01
We used to get the Neftegaz Tugs/Supply boats in the Tyne all the time and they were the worlds worst, how they got about god knows.

aadje
5th December 2005, 22:48
Recent photo copied from fuerta ventura website. American Star faced a storm on 29/11/05. Funnel has broken off and vessel more and more in a deplorable situation.

b/regards
aadje.

turbines48
25th January 2006, 22:55
The "United States" is not a sister ship to the America. While they may have had a similar appearance there was a 12 year (at least) difference in their ages. The "Big U" was bigger and much faster.

Burntisland
26th January 2006, 00:31
AND.............the UNITED STATES is tied up in Philadelphia.

Jeffers
4th February 2006, 21:29
The remains are visible on Google Earth, She can be seen at 28 20'46 N, 14 10'50 W.

jim barnes
5th February 2006, 02:40
Vessel was entitled by new owners to be towed to Thailand for conversion into a floating hotel. Owners decided to have vessel towed via Gibraltar instead of through the suez canal. Vessel was under tow of the ukrainian tug Nephtegaz-67. During a severe storm, january 1994, on the atlantic towlines broke free and tug left ss american star 2 days drifting. No attemps were made to make connection to the vessel again. Nephtegaz-67 left vessel unattended and only reported during passing gibraltar she lost her tow.

regards
aadje Very considerate of them to warn all other ships in the area at the time?? (Scribe)

aadje
4th April 2006, 22:57
This is the present situation of the wreck. Photo's were taken by a tourist, Mr. Steve Whittington, on 18th March 2006. Photo 1 and 2 the present, photo 3, in order to see the difference, the past shortly after beaching in 1994.

b/regards
aadje

ed.schellenberg
11th April 2006, 22:45
Found with google earth.

aadje
22nd May 2006, 22:16
The end is coming nearer and nearer.

These pictures were taken by tourists and placed on the website of australis

b/regards

aadje

aadje
22nd May 2006, 22:41
The ss United States is still tied up, as I understood from the various websites, since Nov. 1969 couse of enormous boilerproblems.