jungle ports

binliner
1st February 2008, 14:24
looking at ali bains photo.Can anyone remember the "port" in the Philliphines where all you loaded were cans of pineapples.We jumped over the side for a swim straight from the engineroom,after a while the locals came out in boats and told us to get out the water,discovered that the pineapple plant discharged its waste once a day which brought in the small fish which brought in the larger fish ect.never noticed any sharks that time,but told they came sometimes

Ali Bain
1st February 2008, 16:41
Going to take a guess at San Fernando for this one. Wherever it was we went there once and I can remember seeing this beautiful Leopard shark swimmimg alongside our boat. Was glad we had no one over the side at the time. The water was beautiful and clear, and no there was no alcohol involved.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

forthbridge
1st February 2008, 16:51
The port was Bugo beside the Del Monte pineapple factory. Nearest city to it was Cagayan De Oro. Cebu City and Iloilo city were also regular calls.

celsis
1st February 2008, 17:00
Jeez, I remember Bugo. There was a bar near the harbour. Anyone remember it's name? I remember my flipflips floating off as the water ran through the bar during the monsoon!

492598N
1st February 2008, 19:38
Does anyone remember the name of the "port" in the Phillipines where ships came alongside a long timber jetty and wer loaded by a conveyor which ran the legth of the jetty. At the shoreside end of the jetty I think there was a bar built up on stilts. I thought this place was Bugo. Can anyone advise?

EBenarty
1st February 2008, 20:49
Does anyone remember the name of the "port" in the Phillipines where ships came alongside a long timber jetty and wer loaded by a conveyor which ran the legth of the jetty. At the shoreside end of the jetty I think there was a bar built up on stilts. I thought this place was Bugo. Can anyone advise?

Yep that was Bugo the Del Monte factory , some place but a good run ashore to the bar on the beach another place was Masinloc where we used to load chrome ore

forthbridge
1st February 2008, 20:59
Masinloc is a place name i was trying to remember. Anyone remember Suzies Blue Bar in Cebu City which was right under the ship,s bow if you were alongside. Not sure whether Tanduay rum in the Phillipines or monkey in Bangkok had the worst effects.

EBenarty
1st February 2008, 21:24
Masinloc is a place name i was trying to remember. Anyone remember Suzies Blue Bar in Cebu City which was right under the ship,s bow if you were alongside. Not sure whether Tanduay rum in the Phillipines or monkey in Bangkok had the worst effects.

Yep I remember the bar well and Tanduay was the better. Did the local radio Cebu City come on board to [=P] do a radio show ?
I remember loading Manioc and pineapples there!!

EBenarty
1st February 2008, 21:39
Susies Blue bar was where the head ropees went . LOL . But true !!

EBenarty
1st February 2008, 21:44
Jeez, I remember Bugo. There was a bar near the harbour. Anyone remember it's name? I remember my flipflips floating off as the water ran through the bar during the monsoon!

You described it well it was THE RAINBOW GARDEN !!

Willie Mac
1st February 2008, 23:36
There must have been more Ben Line linen in Bugo than was left in the Ben Line Fleet. Apparently just about every place was kitted out with all sorts of gear, counterpanes, towels, pillowslips, etc. etc. (Obviously I was told about this not having been inside any of these abodes myself.) although I do remember seeing counterpanes been used instead of doors on some of the shacks. Does anyone recall what we used to call the nice young lads who were always trying to catch our attention, I seem to remember they were very friendly. Would be interested to know if anyone had any photos of Bugo or Masinloc from the seventies

highlander403
1st February 2008, 23:48
yes beugo and the rainbow bar bring back loads of memories.

Not sure whether Tanduay rum in the Phillipines or monkey in Bangkok had the worst effects mekhong defiately wins this one hands down, swore off of it in 1971 and never touched it since though im a regular visitor to thailand,

scotty

highlander403
1st February 2008, 23:59
while on the subject of bars and jungles, anybody remember the jungle bar in port sweetenham, it used to have boards all round the walls whited out and the ships names painted in black on them, still hear those insects cicadas ? chirping away as you walked to the bar, think i landed up in the guys living room one night(Pint)

great grub in the seamans mission there, where they actually accepted scots £5 pound note lol

scotty

ian d.cameron
2nd February 2008, 12:12
If you go into Google Earth and type in Bugo, then just to the North West of the big white building is the jetty we used to tie up at. There’s a ship alongside at starboard side to, we used to go in Port side to on the Benvalla. You can still make out the old canning factory.

forthbridge
2nd February 2008, 13:37
Yep I remember the bar well and Tanduay was the better. Did the local radio Cebu City come on board to [=P] do a radio show ?
I remember loading Manioc and pineapples there!!

Not in Cebu but the DJ in the local radio station in Iloilo fell in love with the sparks on one ship when I was there and kept broadcasting messages for him.

Mike Vanko
3rd February 2008, 17:43
while on the subject of bars and jungles, anybody remember the jungle bar in port sweetenham, it used to have boards all round the walls whited out and the ships names painted in black on them, still hear those insects cicadas ? chirping away as you walked to the bar, think i landed up in the guys living room one night(Pint)

great grub in the seamans mission there, where they actually accepted scots £5 pound note lol

scotty
Yes I can remember the mission and also an excellant seafood restaurant looking out over the river (ex Benhiant and Macdhui)
Regards Mike

gunga55
3rd February 2008, 23:58
when the genny was shut down shoreside in Bugo their was a windy windy gramophone used to provide the music in the Rainbow Garden. Bugo was bad for mossies and billy boys !!
gunga55

John Briggs
4th February 2008, 01:22
I remember one little hell hole we went to on a regular basis was Quelimane in Mozambique. It was situated up river in the jungle and there was nothing there to go ashore for. We worked on deck during the day, stripped to the waist as usual, and were stung by these huge flies. After a few days a boil type swelling would come up where we had been stung and eventually you squeezed the swelling and out popped a huge maggot.

We used to have maggot races on the mess room table in the evenings for a bit of entertainment!

ernhelenbarrett
4th February 2008, 06:12
Times sure dont change as I can remember when on the BenVrackie (ex Samaffric) we tied up with the bow line almost in Susie's Bar in Cebu. Were due to sail at 11.30 one morning and the "Old Man" W.C. Wilson sent the Bosun ashore to round up the crew, then Benny the 2nd Steward to round up the Bosun and crew...then the 3rd Mate to round up Benny, the Bosun and the crew then finally the Mate to round up everyone!!! Didnt there used to be an ornamental pool in Susies, I distinctly remember Benny cuddling a baby alligator that day, re the difference between the Aeroplano in Cebu or the Monkey Brand in Bangkok, well it was anchored off Koh Si Chang in those days,
it depended on how many monkeys were on the label, it cost two cans of Tennants for a bottle back then!!
Regards Ern Barrett

Paul Barford
5th February 2008, 12:10
Mike,
the restaurant was the "Port View" on Bennevis, 2ndEngineer used to take all available Engineers for a meal there homeward bound, paid for by scrap money of course!
Paul

cmakin
5th February 2008, 12:51
There must have been more Ben Line linen in Bugo than was left in the Ben Line Fleet. Apparently just about every place was kitted out with all sorts of gear, counterpanes, towels, pillowslips, etc. etc. (Obviously I was told about this not having been inside any of these abodes myself.) although I do remember seeing counterpanes been used instead of doors on some of the shacks. Does anyone recall what we used to call the nice young lads who were always trying to catch our attention, I seem to remember they were very friendly. Would be interested to know if anyone had any photos of Bugo or Masinloc from the seventies

I remember Bugo and the Rainbow Garden (and the billie boys-but that is another story) very well. And yes, I was also a "guest" at a few local households. Our name for the Rainbow Garden was the Bugo Hilton. I had heard of this port from other shipmates for some time before I got there. If you google "Rainbow Garden" (in quotes) you can find a Danish web site that has a picture of the joint back in the mid to late 70's.

Here is the site. Other pictures that will certainly stir some memories, too.

http://www.snesejler.dk/bill17.htm

I also recall another joint, a little fancier than the "Hilton" that was down a trail and across the highway. It was called the Sultan, but the girls called it the night club.

Fa's that?
7th February 2008, 15:30
Mike,
the restaurant was the "Port View" on Bennevis, 2ndEngineer used to take all available Engineers for a meal there homeward bound, paid for by scrap money of course!
Paul

PAUL.
Were there not three restaurants in Sweetenham, PORT VIEW, SUN VIEW and THE MAURA VIEW ?

dhardie
7th February 2008, 15:47
Bugo taken from Benlawers 1978

dhardie
7th February 2008, 16:12
Different view of Bugo taken from the Lawers July 1978

cmakin
7th February 2008, 18:14
Great shots. I can almost smell the place.

Paul Barford
8th February 2008, 11:58
I remember the other places,but not names, so you are probably correct,cheers
Paul

roymuir
8th February 2008, 23:59
Was there that trip Dave, do you remember playing cricket down the hatch with a lump of dunnage and tins of pineapple. The sparkie copped one in the head and split his eye open. You may even have been the cadet that kept being sent up the Rainbow for more Tandauy! Great pics.
Regards, Roy.

Orestes
9th February 2008, 00:27
does anyione remember Masinloc? A jumgle port in the Phillipines. I went there on my first trip to sea on the Antenor. We loaded iron ore in #4 lower hold. We went ashore in the evening and had a few beers in a small bar. The usual suspects were there "love you long time Johnny" etc. It was the first time I saw afruit bat , which flew through the bar and I swear it was the size of a jumbo jet.
Another jungle "port" which was just an achorage was up the Rejang River to load timber.We also had to gather sawdust from the sawmill to insulate a deck where we were going to load tobacco in Belawan. Ralph Elliot, Mike Rigby and myself were sent up river in the life boat with two huge baskets to hold the sawdust.We made about 5 runs in all, but each run got longer and longer, due to the fact we were fed beer when we got there, in fact on the last run we got totally lost on the way back. I do remember us having to front "Cocoa" McDavid who really blasted poor Mile Rigby for leading us astray. As if we needed any encouragement.

cmakin
9th February 2008, 01:51
I recall going up a river in Malaysian Borneo. We anchored for a few days and loaded mohogany dowels. As an engine cadet, with a few days at anchor in the river, I was given the priveledge of joining the other engineers in hand cleaning the boiler superheater. No shore leave for anyone, though. I believe the place was called Tanjung Mani.

Ali Bain
9th February 2008, 07:18
Paul,
Similar story on the Benlomomd, Ho Ming the number one fireman used to taks all the engine-room crowd apart from the watch and the N.O.B. man (who was never the chief or the second) up to the Port View. This was paid for out of the Mahjong kitty over the voyage. Did seven trips on the 'Lomond and had some great "Mahjong meals" usually washed down with Brandy as I recall.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

K urgess
9th February 2008, 10:12
Only one I can remember going upriver to was Mackenzie up the Mackenzie River in British Guyana.
Trying, unsuccessfully, not to bounce off too many river banks or collect too much foliage on the day's trip up in a Bankboat.
Absolutely nothing up there that I can remember except a bauxite jetty.
There may have been a general store/bar.
Nowhere near as intersting as some of the previously mentioned.

Paul Barford
9th February 2008, 12:41
Ali,
Ho Ming! What a man he was, two wives, one in Singapore the other in Honk Kong.Remember his daughter in Singapore, was a real looker and was in the police force.
I did three trips on the 'Lomond,two as 4/E and the last as 3/E with my wife of two weeks.That was the voyage of discovery, bunkering at OKL in Crete, first Ben boat to go there. Then through Suez on the first convoy after it re-opened.Wife wanted to see all the "jungle ports" and bars etc. She saw them all in Penang,Port Kelang, Singapore, Manila,Hong Kong,Bankok,Bugo,Masinloc and made friends with many of the girls she met.Kept receiving birthday & christmas cards for a number of years afterwards!
Needles to say, my days on those runs was coming to an end,places were changing anyway,but still many fond memories.

Also remember Lam Kam Tong(Tong man) & Chang Lam (Zoonie) other two firemen, where they there with you?
Paul

SSimon
9th February 2008, 21:07
The only true 'jungle' port I have been to is Djambi, in Sumatra. The river passage was four days into the place and one day out, such was the speed of the River. There is a huge seasonal variation in the river height too, one ship SLAMAT TIGA I think, went aground at the top of one season and it was three or four years before the water got high enough to get her off.

Ali Bain
10th February 2008, 22:22
Paul,
It is indeed a small world. The Benlomond Chinese crew had all been on her since day one and yes all the engineroom crowd you sailed with were there in my time too. As I have previously mentioned I did coast, seven voyages and coast on her, so it would be fair to say that liked her more than a wee bit. She was a very happy ship, Chan Po was the chief steward if I remember right and he looked after us really well.
I have a photo of Zoonie somewhere, I must try and dig it out.
We must have crossed paths in the Suez by the sound of it, I was on the Benvrackie homeward bound and we were the second convoy through (obviously heading West) We also bunkered in Crete, I remember it well, we got four bottles of Ouzo for 200 cigarettes there. We had a few cases just for the "craic" as they say. I have never touched Ouzo since..!!! Give me the Tanduay rum or the Monkey anytime. Also, I think Rod Stewart "We are sailing" was number one at the time which along with the Ouzo seemed pretty good. Glad to hear your wife enjoyed the trip, probably met some very interesting people.
Anyway, Benlomond, the happiest ship I ever sailed on, the complete opposite of the Container ships.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

Fa's that?
12th February 2008, 12:08
Another port I remember in the Philippines is MULANAY. I can't remember what we loaded there but it was a real jungle port. MASINLOC was North of MANILA and MULANAY was South of MANILA. I located them using GOOGLE EARTH.

ian keyl
14th February 2008, 00:10
I remember in Rejan river it was great to call one of those we plywood speedos to come alongside to go and take the morning draft, it was a good excuse to take the control and go for a spin, the boats would carry about four people tops and they were only built of marine ply and a few stiffeners but the outboard motor was the biggest mercury or Evinrude you have seen. At full speed you had to look out over the side to see ahead of you as the bow even with four up was well out of the water.
I came back down river from Sibu one night i had been up there the agent and CTC (Consolidated Timber co ) and were travelling at speed but god i got the hits every time something hit the uplifted bow .my fears were no life jacket and having to swim in the mangrove swamps with all those bloody snakes. my fears were all in vain as those little boats were strong and sturdy.
They were so light two persons could lift them without the o/board motor.
In fact i understand a few Ben folk bought them and brought them home .
I remember Robin Galloway when he was working ashore telling me about the bloke who was the main (possibly only pilot ) for Rejan river .
Robin was seconded to the Royal Hydrogerphy dept to chart many parts of the east coast inlets on the Boneo coast.
He said he met up with the pilot of Rejan and spoke about the problems in the area and this bloke told him he kept adding different marks to confusre the Russians who were filming his coursres and marks on cine film. This he said was so they could try and come in for timber without paying for a pilot.

One of our ex Ben collegues Jimmy Anggang is the chief pilot in Labuan , Jimmy is from Kota kinabalu and from the Dyak tribe (do you know your geography and local history) ?

Well I will have to put my piss quicks on and go a for a run ashore.

Ian.

Riptide
14th February 2008, 01:47

scotty
There was also sewing machines against the walls that they used during the day for extra cash.It cost afew Malay dollers to paint your ships name on the walls.If the M.V. Lutetian isn't there then it has been painted out,hence the white walls.Kenny.p.s. Port Kelang-port Klang.

BRIAN WESTGARTH
4th March 2008, 16:18
Re. Port Swettenham, now Port Klang. I remember two restaurants, The Harbour View, which was an old Hotel used originally by the Rubber Plantation Europeans, as well as the passengers from the Ben-Boats, and the Port View, which was started in an old railway carriage by two Chinese gentlemen, Mr. Chew, and Mr. Ying, one of them had a daughter called Lucy.
Can anyone remember the big waiter, we used to call him Lauwrence of Malasia?

James MacDonald
4th March 2008, 19:07
How about Rumolumeni at the Eagle Cement works 10 miles up river from Port Harcourt Nigeria

lakercapt
4th March 2008, 22:28
Palm line had some great (sic) jungle ports
Burutu, Warri, Sapele, Tiko to name a couple.
Entomologists would have had a wonderful time and they would have been the only ones.!!!!!!!!

Alistair Spence
6th March 2008, 17:22
Masinloc, was that where the pilot came out in the canoe and where the 'services' of a local cost a bar of Lux? I think it was chrome ore we loaded there. Each ton came complete with a family of cockroaches, big as sparrows.

highlander403
6th March 2008, 19:39
yes i remember the rejang river up to the sawmill to take on wood, was it not run by two australians? the loacals used to crowd around when the movies (reel to reel) were shown on the boat deck,
a little incident happened with a first trip RO he decided a dip in the river was in order so the word quickly spread and everybody came to see him go down the ladder, he got a bit worried at everybody staring and sought some encouragement from the mate by asking, " its safe here isnt it no sharks ?" just as he put a foot in the water the mate shouted yes lad its safe for sharks the crocodiles have eaten them all, i still see his face as he came up that ladder as though he was jet propelled lol,

either that trip or next we hit a russian vessel coming up river no great damage but im sure he ran aground

scotty

Roddy Munro
6th March 2008, 22:48
My lasting memory of the Rejang river was the size of the beetles that came on board with the logs.You could'nt kill them with a mash hammer they were that hard.I've seen planes that were'nt as big as some of the airborne ones.What a pleasure it was to hose everything over the side after sailing.Not the best stopover in the Far East.

bulwark
6th March 2008, 22:53
Alistair
I remember the cargo of cockroaches(bombay tigers) in Masinloc alright, they were horrendous.
Murdo

Waighty
14th March 2008, 14:04
Deck Gadget 1965 to 1969. Valla, Ledi,Gloe, Avon (1940s one), Vannoch, Nevis. Bugo was, as others have said a 'cute' little place - the mini train loads of cartons constantly circling the quayside. The bar on the beach was great for day or night shifts - crash out on beach. San Fernando was the long wooden jetty. Masinloc - had to givea lot of notice for departure if in the dark so they could light the oil lamps on the chanel buoys! The bars up the road were run by the local sherrif as a sort of private fiefdom - all I remember was the plates of hard boiled eggs stacked high and lumps of rock salt to eat them with - didn't do much to soak up the booze though.

Great to see the word Tanduay again after all these years - distilled on Tuesday - bottled on Wednesday - consumed on Thursday. Classy stuff alright.

Rejang - 6 weeks of sweat and loose timber - what more can you say.

Sailed with Jimmy Angaang - great bloke - glad he's done well for himself.

My last trip - the Old Man said to me, as we entered Colombo and saw a Bank Boat alongside, "Don't go with them you'll be away from home for years".
As a young single bloke that's just what I wanted to hear. So once 2Mates ticket gained away to Weir's World.

benvorlich
28th April 2008, 15:33
The bar in Bugo was called the Rainbow bar the last time I was there on the Benvorlich in 1967 we were alongside for a week and 4 members jumped ship I wonder why.

Benvorlich

benvorlich
3rd June 2008, 08:27
The bar in Bugo was clled the RAINBOW BAR wehn Iwas on the Benvorlich from 1967 -1968 we called there almost every trip happy times the Benvorlich was one the happyest BEN BOATS I was ever on the same crew all the time.
BENVORLICH

benvorlich
3rd June 2008, 08:36
Rejang River when I was on the BENVORLICH we spent 3 weeks wating for the timber to come down river the longest 3 weeks ever and the galley range was coal fired it was not the coolest place on the ship but if I recall we galley staff got extra beer.

Benvorlich

roddy
5th June 2008, 18:27
The bar in Bugo was called the Rainbow bar the last time I was there on the Benvorlich in 1967 we were alongside for a week and 4 members jumped ship I wonder why.

Benvorlich

Yes but they rejoined in Manila. Seem to remember that someone in the catering department sold most of the ships blankets, for payment in kind, whilst in Bugo, are you prepared to shed any light on this matter? It is after all only 41 years since the event, and I still have the blanket that I was forced to purchase in London when we got back to UK, and am looking for some recompense!

JOSEPHAIKEN
18th December 2008, 23:44
Visited The Chinamans In Masinloc In 1960 And Remember The Grass Partitions And Cubicles Well If You Stood On A Chair U Could See The Performers Within Als O Bugo And Ilollo Was On The First Trip Of The Benhiant Under Ben Line Flag . Those Were The Days

malathemotorman
20th April 2009, 17:59
Never got to any of those wonderful places in my short time on the Ben Boats but did sail for 4 days up the Amazon on the Benvorlich in 82. We were so far up the river we were nearly in Peru. Only one bar there with a jukebox and a couple of lightbulbs powered by an old VW Beetle propped on a couple of tree stumps.
I mentioned this trip to a motorman I was sailing with about 20 years later when we realised we were both on the vorlich together. That was Roy Lennon a true gentleman and a fine shipmate.(just like most i sailed with in Ben Line)
The bar shut at 9.30 pm because the tide went out?? we were about 3500 miles from sea.

holland25
20th April 2009, 19:49
On the Ulysses, we visited a port in the Philippines in 1960 which I always thought was Duamagete. I have just googled that name and the place that came up is a city and looks very developed. The place we went to, consisted of a sugar refinery, a long pier and a small village.There was no bar in the formal sense, but the locals, who were very friendly, sold us alchohol,and we had a party ashore every night. From memory the village was basic with a central tap for the water supply. The houses had slatted floors and the chickens and general domestic livestock wandered freely underneath,feeding on the scraps that fell through the gaps.

We received orders to proceed there whilst on passage across the Atlantic and nobody had heard of it. The second mate got into trouble with the OM for suggesting it was somewhere in West Africa.

New York to Duamagete in 2 months, we certainly got to see the world.

submarine
20th April 2009, 21:01
Benvrackie 63/64 Was Bugo the place where you could get a blue flame from the neck of the rum bottle & mah jong was on the table at the rear of the room ?

EBenarty
25th April 2009, 21:14
I was in a place called Kunak in north Borneo on the Bennevis in 1967, there was nothing there but a jungle bar and a few shacks. Along with a fellow cadet and 2 engineers we obviouslly tried out the bar having a beer or 10 and we became aware of a group of locals eyeing us up and decided to leave. As we did so, the locals followed us weilding knives. We took off and I am sure we beat Roger Banisters 4 minute mile back to the ship. We told the Chief Off. Jimmy Hamilton about it, and we were stopped 3 days shore leave until we left Kunak. Not that I would have dared go ashore there again !!

John Rogers
25th April 2009, 21:54
Those places sound like a little bit of paradise,try Tico W Africa for a hell hole of a jungle place,the Fyffes lads can tell you about that place. Mossies,flies, and UGLY women,of course to some of the hungry lads there is no such thing as an UGLY women,just some are better than others.

John.

bulwark
26th April 2009, 21:22
Was there a port in the Phillipines called Dadiangas? For some reason the name sticks in my mind as a place where we loaded pineapples when I was on the Benhiant.

wully farquhar
27th April 2009, 22:34
Those places sound like a little bit of paradise,try Tico W Africa for a hell hole of a jungle place,the Fyffes lads can tell you about that place. Mossies,flies, and UGLY women,of course to some of the hungry lads there is no such thing as an UGLY women,just some are better than others.

John.

When a ugly woman starts looking good i think it was time to back to the ship!! (Jester) :sweat:

petemac46
28th April 2009, 10:22
Remember the Rejang well ended up in a bush hospital,on my first trip with food poisoning only they were treating me for vision problems----Never so glad to see the Benvannoch again!!
Went to Bugo where the 2/Elec ended up with a billy boy and never heard the end of it,think he went shoreside at the end of the trip.
Did Masinloc as well cannot remember much of the place I think the rum had something to do with that.

Pat Kennedy
28th April 2009, 11:36
On the Ulysses, we visited a port in the Philippines in 1960 which I always thought was Duamagete. I have just googled that name and the place that came up is a city and looks very developed. The place we went to, consisted of a sugar refinery, a long pier and a small village.There was no bar in the formal sense, but the locals, who were very friendly, sold us alchohol,and we had a party ashore every night. From memory the village was basic with a central tap for the water supply. The houses had slatted floors and the chickens and general domestic livestock wandered freely underneath,feeding on the scraps that fell through the gaps.

We received orders to proceed there whilst on passage across the Atlantic and nobody had heard of it. The second mate got into trouble with the OM for suggesting it was somewhere in West Africa.

The place you went to in the Philippines sounds like a small port named Dalaguete, in Cebu. there is a long pier with a jetty, and some sort of plant just inland. The little town of Dalaguete is some way away from the port and ir really quite a pleasant place. I once spent a holiday at the nearby beach resort of Argao, which is a beautiful place.
Dumaguete on the other hand is a much larger port and city on the nearby island of Negros
Regards,
Pat

holland25
28th April 2009, 15:44
The place you went to in the Philippines sounds like a small port named Dalaguete, in Cebu. there is a long pier with a jetty, and some sort of plant just inland. The little town of Dalaguete is some way away from the port and ir really quite a pleasant place. I once spent a holiday at the nearby beach resort of Argao, which is a beautiful place.
Dumaguete on the other hand is a much larger port and city on the nearby island of Negros
Regards,
Pat

Pat.

You may well be right. The place you describe sounds more like the one I remember from the one that appears on Google.

Regards.