Dumurra

tanker
1st February 2008, 21:34
On sea trials built 1961 by Alex Stephen & Sons Glasgow 6,110 g.t. further renamed FUMURRA.

steve goldswain
6th September 2008, 05:29
i did three trips on the dumurra the bosun was derrick tate and the bosuns mate was davy duffy a happy ship no one wanted to leave will post a crew photo when i suss out how it works

Argyll
28th September 2008, 19:04
Good pic of Dumurra. I did a part trip on her and transfered in Appa to Degema. as she was going on USA RUN. bOSUN WAS bIG jIM Dooley.
Argyll.

Allan James
28th September 2008, 20:57
my last ship, joined in Dublin on her arrival from the West Coast of Africa, then to Liverpool where I left her.

Had I have known then what I know now, would I have stayed at sea-dammned right I would!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al J

steve brady
12th March 2009, 23:56
Just like to back up the view about the Dumurra being a happy ship. Must be the best bunch of blokes I ever met. I remember Derek the Bosun and Duffy the Lampy very well. We used to be on a good run too, between the West Coast and USA/Canada. We also had another name for the ship - "The Philly Flyer" probably due to the number of Yankee birds we had waiting for us at the quayside in Philadelphia. Few other names I can vaguely remember.
Terry Chell, John Wisset, Fat Fred, Big Larry - The bar room gooser, Stan the chippy, Noko the Whammy, Bob Kelsey who married an American girl and Jimmy **** the hippy from Birkenhead.
It's true, nobody wanted to leave that ship.
Still remember the Yankee birds saying, Sailors?? Sailors??? your more like a bunch of ****** pirates

Thanks for the memories lads.

R58484956
13th March 2009, 16:16
Greetings Steve and a warm welcome to SN on your first interesting posting. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

Ian Stanley
19th April 2009, 18:22
My first ship as a cadet engineer in 1970. Liverpool to West Coast Africa. A wonderful introduction to many years at sea. Great people and atmosphere.

masonburt
19th November 2009, 06:34
sailed on dumurra 18-5 -70 to26-8-70 joined in new york
great times
mason burt

Dod Caukie
8th March 2010, 16:37
Joined the "Philly Flyer" in Lome July'75 and left her in Abidjan Dec. '75. I had just got my steam endorsement to my Chiefs' ticket and "Dumurra" was my first steam ship as 2nd Eng!!!!!

George T

Frank Moorhouse
12th December 2010, 23:15
Did two trips as 4/E June 66 to Feb 67 Mar 67 toMay 67 and agree she was a good ship.

steve goldswain
16th December 2010, 11:44
a few years ago i atended the funaral of terry clark AB in auckland nz who i sailed with on the dummurra

Frank Lawlor
10th April 2013, 11:29
Good pic of Dumurra. I did a part trip on her and transfered in Appa to Degema. as she was going on USA RUN. bOSUN WAS bIG jIM Dooley.
Argyll.

I sailed on the Dumurra sometime in 67 as an S.O.S. Was Jim Dooley a Scouser? I have a feeling that he was the bosun when I was on her.

red lead
15th May 2013, 20:38
I sailed on the Dumurra sometime in 67 as an S.O.S. Was Jim Dooley a Scouser? I have a feeling that he was the bosun when I was on her.

Jim Dooley was from Wallesey used to live in Birkenhead was with him on the Fulani good fair Bosun take no s.... Red lead

eldersuk
16th May 2013, 00:52
Joined the "Philly Flyer" in Lome July'75 and left her in Abidjan Dec. '75. I had just got my steam endorsement to my Chiefs' ticket and "Dumurra" was my first steam ship as 2nd Eng!!!!!

George T

Dumurra was a motor ship - Doxford.

Derek

Dod Caukie
22nd May 2013, 20:32
I was being sarcastic!! After 5 months on her and trips on several other Elders "D" boats I'm well aware she was Doxford engined.
George T

Kevin Jones
23rd May 2013, 16:58
I was Electrician on the Dumbia in 1980 Peter Elder was Capt. I think Les Kenwervy (spelt wrong was Chief Eng). Did the voyage West Africa then back to UK had the European coast off then back again. Great little ship was my first ship promoted.

Frank Lawlor
13th December 2013, 13:27
Jim Dooley was from Wallesey used to live in Birkenhead was with him on the Fulani good fair Bosun take no s.... Red lead

That's Jim. Can recall him going nose to nose with a mouthy young AB, and telling him to get his act together or Jim would drop him on his backside. The lad backed down straight away.