Strathardle

Captain Smurf
2nd February 2008, 11:28
I was a cadet on Strathardle in 1977. What a ship.

This pic shows the Mate's daughter, sadly I cannot remember the names of the officers, let alone their families

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/captainsmurf/strathardle1.jpg

Jim Moon
23rd March 2008, 17:40
I was on the Strathappin for her last trip and was laid-up in Dubai alongside the Ardle and Conon. Appin had bar-b-que for last night..... We'd been up the Shat-Al to Khoramshah with cargo but due to the Ayatollah taking over and the warehouses going on fire couldn't discharge the cargo. After two weeks alongside, Captain had a word with the pilots and got us back to the anchorage and we stayed there for about a month or two - casually taking stock of the beers that were in number one hatch for the Khoramshah discharge that wasn't happening and the vessel had been sold to new owners as soon as we got to Dubai. In the end GCD had enough and sent vessel to Dubai where we had couple of days hadover with Greek owners a hell of a barbeque party with 'Ardle and 'Conon crew. Consequently Dubai Port Control the next day had compliants about the number of paper plates littered around the ship and I remember last morning on board the 'Appin clearing paperplates from the waters edge and stuck to the side of the ship.....

Have some photos somewhere, the R/O onboard the Ardle was a Scottish bloke called Alistair who later I spoke with after he was on a UK coaststation somewhere, but don't ask me which ship that was on - tfar too many days ago.

sbb
11th October 2009, 22:02
I was a cadet on Strathardle in 1977. What a ship.

This pic shows the Mate's daughter, sadly I cannot remember the names of the officers, let alone their families

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/captainsmurf/strathardle1.jpg

Is it Miss Bruce? mate was Ioin Bruce, Scotish chap, had wife called Ina I think.
While having dinner one night she called out, "dad a mans flown by the window". Which received, "dont be daft". Seconds later the alrms went off and two Japanese workers had indeed fell passed the window as a crane wire parted holding a basket they were in while working on the main derrick.
I had to do soundings the next morning at a very early hour as we were going to Kyoto I think, blood all over the place.

Shaun
SB

johnnoakes
11th August 2013, 21:36
Anyone remember John Noakes? He was my father and served at officer level on at least the below ships in the late 1960's. Would love to here from anyone who knew him and have lads of cool photos to share from his time at P&O.

Strathardle, Strahbrora, Oriana, SS Singapore, Mantua