Mahseer - Jute cargo

R798780
5th May 2005, 21:42
Mahseer loading jute in Chalna, East Pakistan then, Bangladesh now.

The “buoys” at Chalna; Loading gunnies - bales of hessian - from a barge; Last sling of jute in No. 2 hatch.

I can still remember the chanting, sort of shanty, as the gangs rolled the bales of jute from the sling to its stowed position

mcook
6th May 2005, 00:04
Remember the E. Pakistan guards chucking the occasional
hand grenade over the side to discourage scuba divers?
A nice way to be woken up.

I was on the Mahseer when we had to skedaddle out
of Chalna at the start of the war. George Symonds
was the skipper.

Malcolm

john g
6th May 2005, 16:00
Can well remember being alongside in Chittagong with a west Pakistani troop ship tied up ahead of us. Very sad time for the crew (who were local) they had to pay off and go to their homes. The stories that followed were horiffic to say the least.That was on the Manipur(ex Ivernia I think). So the year must have been 71 as I packed it all in later that year, I guess that and other things made my mind up. Nice pictures Ron brings back times long forgotten....john g

john g
6th May 2005, 16:02
Sorry ...NICE PICTURES HUGH....john g

mcook
6th May 2005, 17:31
Ron,

Hmmm... Rusty brain cells trying to wake up. I joined the
Mahseer on June 29th, 1971 in Tilbury. That was the day after my 21st birthday. I was due to join on the 28th but was granted an extra days leave (nice of them!) Were you relieved by a 'leckie named Gary? Left her in Bremen (tied to the dolphins) in Jan of 72.
We did the normal run to Gan, Calcutta then E. Pakistan. In Chalna I remember the guard had a 410 shotgun with 2 cartridges, and the barrel was stuffed full of cloth. The guard (dressed in dhoti, flip-flops and army beret) said the cloth was there to stop the barrel from rusting.
I guess that you did the trip on the Mahseer before me, and when we went to Chalna the company must have decided it was getting too hot there and told us to leave.

Cheers!

malcolm