D.S.V. Seawell

Rhiw.com
6th May 2005, 07:51
The Seawell is in dry dock at Haugesund, Norway, for what can only be described as a major re-fit, and she will be there for approx five weeks. The first week a team of ten men worked around the clock, grit blasted her entire hull, and when I left her the other day, they had just given her hull the third coat of primer, first (red) second (greenish) third (silver-grey) and there will be a total of seven coats in all, that's counting the top coat, (red-ish). Her hull is in amazing condition for a 19-year-old ship, and she looks like a new build. The weather over there has been very good, not a cloud in the sky for the first ten days, which is just as well for this work. Her derrick is also getting all its welds tested (for re certification) scaffolding was erected for the job, at a staggering cost of £70.000!!! Also, she has had a new generator fitted, and a hole was cut in her side for this. All her internal decks have been renewed, alley-ways, mess-rooms, t.v. rooms, and some of her 80+ cabins. Her DP system is being upgraded as well, and she will now be up there with the best of them. Both her “Big” cranes will have their rams overhauled, as well as other stuff like load cells, wires, hydraulic pumps e.g. (She has five cranes in all) and their computer system is also getting a face-lift. All in all, this is a huge investment, and will hopefully keep her working for a few more years. After dry dock, she is back in the British sector, but only for a three-week diving job for Shell, and after that we will go back to Norway until late November early December, doing well stimulation, which is what she was built for anyway. Cal-Dive International, of Huston Texas now owns the Seawell, but she is still British registered (Aberdeen) in fact she is the first British ship I have worked on in over ten years. Norway as you all know is one beautiful place, but at over £6 a pint…………!!! (Pint) Regards, Tony (Crane/op, Seawell)

mcook
6th May 2005, 17:36
Tony,
Thank's for the pictures and the up-date. Most interesting.
I was working for Cal-dive when we did the upgrade on the
'Eclipse'a few years ago, which was another ex-Stenna boat (can't remember which
one!)

Malcolm Cook

Rhiw.com
6th May 2005, 20:33
Tony,
'Eclipse'a few years ago, which was another ex-Stenna boat (can't remember which
one!)

Malcolm Cook
Many thanks for that Malcolm, a friend of mine was crane /op on the Eclipse in the Gulf of Mexico, for quite a while, he reckoned that she was one fine vessel. I was with Cal-Dive myself for about six months in 2002, on the Mystic Viking, out in Mexico, boy that is some place!!! =P

mcook
6th May 2005, 21:21
Yeah- I have been working in Mexico for nearly 2 years now
on the Global Explorer (Not a Global Industries boat) were managed
by a company in Seattle called Ocean-Services. The Explorer is an
excellent ship (for a US flag vessel!!!) Plenty of pictures of her on
the Ocean-Services web site if your interested.

I worked on Cal-dive vessels for nearly 7 years as an ETO. Witch Queen, Balmoral Sea (she caught fire and sank in New Orleans several years ago) Merlin and Q4000.

The Eclipse was a fine ship. Only problem was that Cal-dive (as all US companies) is dry, so they said to get rid of all the booze that was on board overside while we were on sea trials. We did as they commanded, only we dumped it via the ship's sewage system. (if you get my meaning?)

malcolm

Rhiw.com
6th May 2005, 21:54
Great stuff Malcom!!! The helideck on the Mystic Viking was salvaged off the "Balmoral Sea". I've got to tell you this one!!! in the North Sea, helicopter operations are taken very seriously, and you've only got to sneeze when they land, and there's a full scale enquiry!!! But when I was in Mexico they used to arrive unannounced. One day we were sitting under the helideck, in the shade, when one landed, and by the time we got up to the pad, all the chopper's passengers were wandering around the decks!!! if that happened over here the sh*t would hit the fan, in a big way, Another time all the cutlery kept going missing, one of the riggers was selling bracelets (which were rather nice) they were all made of bent spoons and forks!!! I loved Mexico, because the people were so laid back. Regards Tony.

mcook
6th May 2005, 22:23
I can believe it!
I was on the bridge wing of the Witch Queen in the GOM and a helicopter
suddenly appeared and hovered in front of us, flashing it's lights. I turned on the aero radio and he asked for permission to land, so I said go ahead! At least he asked!! That's not always the case.
Also if you fly on one of these small choppers and get to sit next to the pilot, you are invarioubly tasked with the job of keeping a lookout for other choppers!

I know they salvaged several parts of the B.Sea. I was in the Morgan (Moron) City,
Louisiana Cal-dive yard and saw the crane sitting in a corner. I went and kicked it!
It hurt but the satisfaction was immense! I can't remember how many times I had been
called out of bed to go and fix it.

I have a copy of the local New Orleans newspaper at home with several front page pictures of the B.S. on fire. I will see if I can post them when get off here.

Cheers,

malcolm

Jan Hendrik
6th May 2005, 23:20
Good story Tony and nice pictures.
Tell me 7 coats of paints, even after a full gritblast is quite a lot these days.
Below waterline you would get 2 coats epoxy, one sealer and 2 to max 3 coats Antifouling. Perhaps shop primer was included here?
Above the waterline you certainly would not have 7 coats, maybe 4?
Going by the photos, then it looks they either used International or Hempel. Which brand Tony?
Good condition for a 19 year old ship.

Rhiw.com
7th May 2005, 08:04
Hello Jan, It’s International paint they are using, and the second greenish coat, had a lot of fumes coming off it, you could smell it all over the ship. I too thought that seven coats was a bit over the top, but that’s what I was told by the Marine Superintendent, I will e-mail one of the lads, just so we can find out for sure. There is a bit of a story behind the paintwork, in January 2003 we ended up in dry-dock in Rotterdam, we had a problem with one of the bow thrusts that needed some attention, and when she was on the blocks it was noted that the paint on her bottom, was not how it should have been, some reaction or other, and since then, there’s been some to-ing and fro-ing about it all, it was International paint on her then as well, so I presume, because they’re still using the same paint, that they managed to work something out. I couldn’t get over how good a condition her hull was in, for a nineteen-year-old ship she’s in remarkable shape, there’s no pitting at all, and she really looks like a “new-build”. One aspect of the paintwork that I, and many others can’t fathom out is, why are they going to give her the same red topside, as she had with Stena? Cal-Dives hulls are normally blue, except for the “Witch Queen” and I think the Seawell would look a lot better with that colour as well. Regards Tony.

Jan Hendrik
7th May 2005, 08:20
They used the wrong paints Tony........haha

I noticed the drums from a distance, now you zoomed in so it is clear.
International used to be British (Courtauld Group) but was bought out by Akzo-Nobel (Dutch) about 7-8 years ago.

Thanks for the story. There could have been something wrong with it last time, either product or application, it is always possible , anyway all sorted out, that's good.
I worked 39 years for the "other" company....don't tell anybody.
Cheers.
Jan

scottie dog
7th May 2005, 12:59
Hi Tony,
Nice to hear the seawell is still going strong, I was hydraulic tech on her in the early days when nothing worked.
After her biuld in Sunderland she came round to South Shields for final fitting out of the original workover Derrick and I joined her just before she sailed to Aberdeen to Mobilise for her first contract.
I am now working on the Deep pioneer in West Africa.
Mike Scott

mcook
7th May 2005, 13:44
Cal-dives normal hull colour is orange- Witch Queen, Merlin, Q4000 and I guess a few more. The Balmoral Sea was Blue, as well as the Eclipse.

malcolm

Marcus Cardew
7th May 2005, 14:11
Back in 1978 & 1980, I remember chartering the m/v Inspector (coaster converted with moonpool for Underwater Operations) from Knut Knutsen of Haugesund for pipeline surveying in the N. Sea with our ROV (Consub-2). She was Orange as well. Last sighting was working as a survey boat off Nigeria. We arrived in Haugesund one evening, which was the day that the town ceased to be a 'Temperance Town',and became 'Normal'.... It was a very long evening...

Rhiw.com
8th May 2005, 20:38
Hi Tony,
Nice to hear the seawell is still going strong, I was hydraulic tech on her in the early days when nothing worked.
After her biuld in Sunderland she came round to South Shields for final fitting out of the original workover Derrick and I joined her just before she sailed to Aberdeen to Mobilise for her first contract.
I am now working on the Deep pioneer in West Africa.
Mike Scott
Hello Mike, Hope you're having fun in the sun!!!? I was down West Africa my self in July~August 2002 on the "Adams Nomad", she was only a few months old at the time, built in Spain I think, and owned by a wealthy Saudi family. We were reparing a gas pipeline off the Ivory Coast, and the day I flew home, they had an uprising against the goverment, Kalashnikovs all over the place. The wife tells me I have that effect on entire nations!!!!

Ron B Manderson
8th May 2005, 21:09
Do es anyone else notice that they are over there. We are over here,
But they never send us a postcard.
Do you think they try and upset us, because they sure do
LOL
Ron
Have a safe trip gents Lucky *********** .
lol

Rhiw.com
8th May 2005, 21:48
Do es anyone else notice that they are over there. We are over here,
But they never send us a postcard.
Do you think they try and upset us, because they sure do
LOL
Ron
Have a safe trip gents Lucky *********** .
lol
Just for you Ron, an "Adams Nomad" postcard from Sunny West Africa!!!! P.S. Her crane was an absolute nightmare to drive, it had "For Harbour Use Only" stamped on it's jib, and I had to operate the thing in the large swell that you have out there!!!

Rhiw.com
23rd May 2005, 19:51
Just an update about her dry-dock as promised. The Seawell will be leaving Haugesund Norway in the next couple of days, for sea trials, and I will be joining her there tomorrow. I hope to bring you some photos of her sparkling new paint job, that is if the internet is working O.K. She is due back in Aberdeen at the weekend. Regards to you all, Tony. (*))

algiecrook
6th November 2005, 16:57
Hi Tony, Ive just signed your guestbook at Rhiw.com and now ive found all these people who sail on her The Seawell that is Cant beieve my luck (I hope). Im Researching the ship with view to building it as a scale Working model (Including the crane) being a pensioner and having lots of time on my hands I am looking for something that will fill the bill so im hopefully going to pick some brains if youl all let me ..............Regards .....Alan (*))

captflood
5th October 2008, 00:18
Tony,
one!)

Malcolm Cook

Hi Malcolm ,i wa on the Eclipse with you ,i was the scotsman who took you home every night from the beach hotel in Dubai when we were at the HLO dock either that it was the Kampinsky i keep having blackouts about that time -i think i paid all the taxi,s ???

captflood
5th October 2008, 00:21
Hi Malcolm ,i wa on the Eclipse with you ,i was the scotsman who took you home every night from the beach hotel in Dubai when we were at the HLO dock either that it was the Kampinsky i keep having blackouts about that time -i think i paid all the taxi,s ???

Forgot to say it was the Stena Seaspread before ,or when it was in Canada the Bedspread