What About The British Flag Falmouth D.d And Collision

mACAROON
4th February 2008, 21:42
WELL WHO WAS ON THIS MIGHTY 16,000 ton VESSEL AND THE WEEKS OF PARTIES WITH THE LOCAL NURSES IN FALMOUTH DRY DOCK. George Sinclair was the old man ( over the bar - great om ). C/O Macay think from Stornaway and Mrs on 1st trip. 2/0 Derek Palmer, 3/O McAllister, myself Davies and sparklet Richard King
C/E ? 2/eng Redmand 3/Eng R. Wilson from Wishaw, 4/eng ? and wife Barbera. Grocer Gwyn the gin. She sailed after two months in DD. 24hrs later in dense fog off the isle of white -- 2 mins past 9 28th Nov ( cant remember the year), we were stopped doing about 3knts in the current. A greako about 30,000 tons came down the starboard bow and turned directly into us. I looked out of the shack doorway accross the chart table to the starboard porthole, the daylight vanished and the Flag heaved over on her port side. whilst a great slow grinding noise went on. All emergency systems on and ready to go with the SOS but called Niton Radio on the VHF. The fog lifted shortly afterwards and the damage was inspected. Starboard lifeboat like tinfoil,2/engs, 3rd eng, jun/eng cabins -- gone. Grocers/3rd mates cabins gone. The greako had gone straight into the midships accommodation and no one hurt -- amazing. The jun eng had come off watch at 0800 , had breakfast and turned in at 0855, then got back out of his pit, he had left his cigs in his boiler suit in the eng changing room in the aft section. When he came back there was nothing left. Quiting the smokes not always a good idea ! On the lower midships deck the greako had gone through the paint locker and given the ole seafarer a good multi colour repaint.
Back to Dry dock -- on the Thames but not for long. We were in Drydock for 48hrs and then a strike !. Out of drydock and over to Bremerhaven Dry Dock for another month -- what a life -- great ship anyone else ther ?

mpr41410
26th February 2012, 10:46
I was 2/e on the Flag when she was in that collision, C/E was JSM Sutton.
The drydock at falmouth was for a crankgrind as the previous 2/e allowed the topend clearances to get to a state where you could put your fingers in, due to the old doxford elbow leak syndrome.
I have to say that I was 3/e on that trip and every watch I'd stop the job to cure water leaks. The 2/e used to go ballistic. He'd get his donkeywallah to pack the crankcase doors to stop the oil leaking out.
Dennis fenton held an enquiry into the neglect that went on there, as the 2/e had tried to blame me but I'd logged all the stops I'd made, don't know what happened to him, Willie S you s**t . The poor old chief Ernie Jones (and his wife Eva) I believe copped the blame and as he was in his 60s retired.
At Falmouth a shameful thing happened, following the crank grind I had to pass the engine and refused to do it, there was carborundum dust all through the engine. I had a run ashore to pick my wife up from truro and the superintendent got the 3/e to pass it. I actually wrote to the chief and old man expressing my disgust and asked to be relieved, but that didn't happen that's when my loyalty to BP took a downward curve that never rose again.
The collision let us all off the hook as all the subsequent engine damage was put down to it.
Poor Geordie Sinclair was first trip old man and that episode aged him significantly.
I was on the sticks at the time of the collision, the 4/e was there, lecky and my J/e. The 4ths wife was in her cabin when the greek ran into the bathroom next door, it hit right on one of the main tank frames probably saving her life.
We limped to the thames and the steward (Gwyn the Gin) was panic struck as he'd broached the bond so it was suggested to him that he throw some gin cases about in the locker and that seemed to work with the black hand gang ......memory has blotted out much of the subsequent time there, a lot of the guys, self included started drinking far more than was good for us, I went on the wagon in bremerhaven and stayed there for ten years, had a coupla years off now back on it permanently.

alexdron
19th November 2012, 18:32
I'm not sure of the dates of the above but I may have had a close shave there...
just out of GCNS, Lawrence (Spud) Bogle and I joined the Flag in Falmouth DD at the end of June 1970. Nicol & Andrew were doing the crank grind, as I recall. Anyway, after 3-4 weeks we phoned Britannic House and asked if we could please just go to sea, and a few days later we headed up to Grain to join the Cormorant - a terrific ship, that one...
I remember we met up with the Flag in Swansea later that Autumn and it seemed fine, so maybe this was before the shenanigans above.
Just joined this forum a few weeks ago. If anyone remembers me from the Flag, Cormorant, Lancer, Osprey or Avon please get in touch.
Alex

stevekelly10
19th November 2012, 20:32
I'm not sure of the dates of the above but I may have had a close shave there...
just out of GCNS, Lawrence (Spud) Bogle and I joined the Flag in Falmouth DD at the end of June 1970. Nicol & Andrew were doing the crank grind, as I recall. Anyway, after 3-4 weeks we phoned Britannic House and asked if we could please just go to sea, and a few days later we headed up to Grain to join the Cormorant - a terrific ship, that one...
I remember we met up with the Flag in Swansea later that Autumn and it seemed fine, so maybe this was before the shenanigans above.
Just joined this forum a few weeks ago. If anyone remembers me from the Flag, Cormorant, Lancer, Osprey or Avon please get in touch.
Alex

Hi Alex

If memory serves me correct, I seem to remember we were in phase3 together at Springburn college and we were then together after that on the Lancer ? :)

Regards Steve

JamesM
20th November 2012, 14:07
Hi Alex, Remember you and "Spud" Bogle very well, I was 3/E. You're right, the Cormorant was a good ship. Nice to hear from you after all these years. Are you in contact with Spud or know what he's up to? Regards James.

alexdron
20th November 2012, 19:24
Hi Jim, likewise I remember you and the missus well, though I'm struggling with your surname. Remember you lived in Mansfield though, if my memory serves.
I met up with Spud around 77 or so, when he was working with Polaroid in Dumbarton. Nothing after that though, I'm afraid.
One incident I recall from the Cormorant was when some of us were coming off daywork in Alexandria harbour Aug/Sept 1970, your wife (jacqui?) bronzing on the mates' deck midships and a guy on the AA gun shoreside looking after himself big time under his Gellabia!
Two trips after the Cormorant, I sailed again with C/E Joe Crowther on the Osprey, another fantastic Birdie boat. Joined her in Dubai in Aug 72 with the new 2/E, some great runs to Gan, Aussie, NZ, Masirah and paid off in Aden in Feb 73. As soon as Joe knew I had the guitar with me he had his fourfold moothie out for Leaving on a Jet Plane. Between that song and going on about his ulcer scar, he kept us going all right.
Great to hear from you, Jim. If you're interested, drop us a presonal email via the profile page and we'll exchange contact details.
Cheers, Alex

Graham Wallace
21st November 2012, 01:09
Hi Alex, Remember you and "Spud" Bogle very well, I was 3/E. You're right, the Cormorant was a good ship. Nice to hear from you after all these years. Are you in contact with Spud or know what he's up to? Regards James.

For your info Ships Movements 8th Sept 1970 Cormorant
Master D Macfarlane
CO, MJ Goulding ( ex Nav App, Master of Dragoon 1981
2M, FW Wilkinson
3M, R Thomson ( ex Nav App)
RO, AG Patterson
2RO, AW Hawes
NC's, D Thomas, DA Diggory
CE, JE Crowther
2E, GS Marley
3E "JamesM"
4E Eric Wheeldon ( ex EA)
JE's, WG Beattie, WS Turnbull
EC's "AlexDron", LH Bogle
leckie, M Fitzpatrick
Cat/O, AJPrice

If anyone is interested I have some crew lists for the Flag for Jan /Feb/March/April/May/Sept and Dec 1970. I will not print the full names of SN members!
Nobody mentioned the precise date ( or even approximate) of the Flag collision, but many names mentioned earlier in the thread appear.

Graham

alexdron
21st November 2012, 18:02
Steve, I thought I'd replied to your message already, but I don't see it in the thread, so I'm giving myself a bo**ocking for finger trouble and responding now.
I certainly remember you from Springburn - how could I forget your tonsorial elegance? Also remember Ian Hazeldine, Andy (from Buxton?) and Tom (i think, he had a nice Riley 1.5).
From your profile, it looks like you stayed the course - and then some!
Drop me a note from the profile page and we'll exchange contact details.
Best wishes, Alex