Hornby Grange 1979-1984

Mike Holland-Lloyd
15th July 2007, 20:45
Hi All,

Does anyone have any news of the two product tankers built at Harland & Wolff in 1979, Hornby Grange and Elstree Grange. I know they were sold in the 80's and as a result I was made redundant.

Does anyone know if Captain C.J.Welch, P.J.E. Charman and G.V.Spong are still enjoying retirement.... or what.

Best regards to all

MHL

non descript
15th July 2007, 21:37
Ordered in 1977 from Harland & Wolff, Elstree Grange (Hull 1710) and Hornby Grange (Hull 1709) were christened and delivered side by side in June 1979, then remained as twins, for the rest of their lives; being re-named Santa Lucia and Santa Barbara respectively when they transferred into the care of the Tung Group in 1984, where they traded somewhat unsatisfactorily until they were sold to Belgian Transpetrol in 1988. Eventually both ships arrived at Alang Beach to be broken up within two weeks of each other.

A picture to go with it is here ( http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/30392/si/hornby%20grange/what/allfields)

marinero
16th July 2007, 17:08
Hi All,

Does anyone have any news of the two product tankers built at Harland & Wolff in 1979, Hornby Grange and Elstree Grange. I know they were sold in the 80's and as a result I was made redundant.

Does anyone know if Captain C.J.Welch, P.J.E. Charman and G.V.Spong are still enjoying retirement.... or what.

Best regards to all

MHL
Hi Mike.
Trust you and family are well.
If you find out any news about Capt. Welch I would appreciate a shout. I did my first trip in Houlders with him and other trips later on and found him to be a lovely guy. Mind you though, he did not suffer fools lightly. I remember one trip he did in the North Sea on the "Oregis" and he wanted to know why one of the mates was not in uniform on the bridge. I had to take him to one side and explain uniforms weren't worn in the North Sea.
I am trying to upload a photo with this post. Left to right Capt.Welch,Ted Steatham(Snr.Elect.) Charlie Swanborough(Ch.Eng) The 4th guy I cannot remember. In fact I'm not sure what ship it was taken on although it might have been a meat boat.
I got this photo off Capt.Welch whilst we sailed together on the "Oremina" in 1970.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

saltyswamp
16th July 2007, 22:33
Hi All,

Best regards to all

MHL

I was on board when the Hornby Grange was laid up in Malta J.A.williams was the master I was 4E and Alec Ross was C/E
stuart(Pint)

Willyone
14th August 2007, 12:31
I was on board when the Hornby Grange was laid up in Malta J.A.williams was the master I was 4E and Alec Ross was C/E
stuart(Pint)

I was there Stuart, Willy your Second Engineer. Stayed on with Dick Cropper for about 3 months. Drop me a line.

saltyswamp
8th February 2008, 22:35
HI Any body out there with memories of m.v.Hornby Grange the tanker that was sold off in 84 I left her laid up in Malta:sweat:
regards Stuart

Sorry forgot about previous thread

non descript
8th February 2008, 22:51
Sorry forgot about previous thread

No worries - it was about time she had her own thread, as a lot of the comments were tacked on to the other Hornby Grange and confused the issue; so I have made her a new thread all to herself and moved the relevant posts across.
(Thumb)
Mark

R58484956
9th February 2008, 15:21
MV Santa Lucia Ex Elstree Grange 35546 tons built 1979 by H& W Belfast.
228.28 x 32.29 x 13.324. 6 cylinder 2SA B&w diesel built by H&W 20500bhp
(15079Kw) 1 wt boiler (of) 32.8 bar. 2 Auxiliary boilers (1 of, 1 ex gas)
3 generators 780Kw 440 volts 60 Hz AC. Code flags ELEF7. DF,ESD, GyC,Pfd,
Radar, RT. Registered Monrovia, Liberian flag. Owned by Fest Pacific Co; Ltd and managed by Denholm Ship Management Ltd. 15.5 Knots.

MV Santa Barbara Ex Hornby Grange (84) 30999 tons. 228.25 x 32.31 x 13.301. Code flags ELEF 6. 16 knots. all other details basically the same as
SL.

saltyswamp
10th February 2008, 18:34
No worries - it was about time she had her own thread, as a lot of the comments were tacked on to the other Hornby Grange and confused the issue; so I have made her a new thread all to herself and moved the relevant posts across.
(Thumb)
Mark

well done

vasco
4th March 2008, 12:01
So you will all recognise my AVTAR then?

and Saltyswamp, on the quiz page is the plaque bearing a slightly different version of your motto.

Dave Meech
21st May 2008, 19:23
Hi All,

Best regards to all

MHL

Hi Mike,
i hope you are well, are you still in cornwall? I joined the Elstree in 1980 in new orleans, my first trip as bosun and you were the mate. i joined just after serving 13 months on the Hornby Grange. Fine ships the 2 of them and good crews helped, especially with the dreaded tank cleaning!!
Best wishes Dave

KevinC
19th June 2008, 14:49
Hello Mike,
I can tell you that Cliff Welch died in the 1990's I think. He was cremated and there is a stone to him in Bexhill cemetery. Peter Charman died on the plane going home to Ireland but I am not sure of the date. Gordon Spong lives in Eastbourne I believe. He used to go to the 25 Club dinners at one time but have not seen him for a long time. Regards, KevinC

KevinC
23rd June 2008, 11:14
Michael. Get in touch "Kevin C".

Best regards,

Kevin Campbell

merrymagpie
28th September 2008, 22:08
Anybody know the whereabouts of Captain John "JAWS" Williams??

Mike Bartle

vasco
29th September 2008, 04:38

Mike Bartle

Sadly Mike, JAWS died a few years ago. I remember his Wife writing to the Telegraph about his death.

He really was a Gentle Giant and such a great guy to sail with.

He is in this picture I posted http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/95028/ppuser/18826

John P

PS Seen any manoverboard flares lately??? Ah, what memories

merrymagpie
29th September 2008, 05:41
Thanks John

Not the news I was hoping for, as you say, a gentle giant and a great shipmate.

Mike

saltyswamp
29th September 2008, 22:01
Sadly Mike, JAWS died a few years ago. I remember his Wife writing to the Telegraph about his death.

He really was a Gentle Giant and such a great guy to sail with.

He is in this picture I posted http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/95028/ppuser/18826

John P

PS Seen any manoverboard flares lately??? Ah, what memories

Sad to hear that
stuart

howardb
7th February 2009, 22:56
I sailed with Jaws a few times a brilliant Chief Off John came to my wedding and i spent a few days with his family in 1980 Still in touch with his wife Gill today.

Dave Meech
16th February 2009, 19:08
I sailed with Jaws a few times a brilliant Chief Off John came to my wedding and i spent a few days with his family in 1980 Still in touch with his wife Gill today.

Hi Howard,
I was on the Hornby on her maiden voyage and ended up doing 13 months on her, paying off in dry dock in Curacao. I then joined the Elstree soon after as Bosun. I remember our 8 to 12 watches on the Hornby well! Trust you are keeping well.

Regards Dave

triciamarshall
5th March 2009, 21:26
Hi
My husband Arthur Marshall (Houlders 1955-85 Catering Officer) thinks the 4th person in the photo could be Capt Norman Oddy. Hope this is of use to you.
We have only just discovered the site and have enjoyed reading some of the messages.
My father was Capt Alan Bulley who served with Houlders until his death in 1970.

Tricia

Nova Scotian
5th March 2009, 22:00
Hi
My husband Arthur Marshall (Houlders 1955-85 Catering Officer) thinks the 4th person in the photo could be Capt Norman Oddy. Hope this is of use to you.
We have only just discovered the site and have enjoyed reading some of the messages.
My father was Capt Alan Bulley who served with Houlders until his death in 1970.

Tricia

Hi Tricia:

I sailed under your father in 1964 when he was Master on the MV Orepton. I was a navigating apprentice and it was my first trip. He was relieved by Captain Oddy sometime that year.

I have copies of the OLB that contain entries made by your father.

Cheers

Nova Scotian

Jon Vincent
6th March 2009, 00:26
I had the misfortune to board the "Santa Lucia" and the "Santa Barbara" in the mid 80's in the states in my cpacity as super for a major oil company' They were in a very sad condition and any Houlder man like myself would have been very disapointed, I believe the kind expression would be living hand to mouth. I too hope Capt Gordon Spong is comfortably retired, I sailed on the Clydesdale for ten mouths with him before getting married, he was a very good master to say the least.

marinero
6th March 2009, 11:38
Hi

Tricia

Tricia, good morning and welcome to the site. I think you may be right about the 4th person being Norman Oddy. I sailed with your husband Arthur on the "Ocean Transport" Nov 72.(He was my boss) I then worked with him in the North Sea for many a year. I trust he is well and enjoying retirement. Please give him my regards and ask him to get in touch.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

howardb
17th January 2011, 20:56

Mike Bartle Mike John sadly died in the late eighties from the dreaded cancer
. I am still in touch with his wife Gill by Christmas card.

merrymagpie
18th January 2011, 19:48
Thanks Howard

As I said before, a great bloke and a good shipmate. I wonder how much the cargoes we carried on the Stolt tankers contributed to his and Alex McDondalds early demise from cancer?

Mike

rob mcc
23rd January 2011, 02:19
sailed with john and his wife gill on the joya mcannce in 1973[remember the year bacause sunderland won the fa cup] also had the pleasure of sailing with alex mcdonald when he was c/o on the stolt grange and later when he was master of the hornbey grange had a good run ashore with alex in BA when we went to see boca juniers play football that must have been about 1970

leigh ashton
28th January 2011, 15:01
well two names in the post there bring back memorys,Arthur Marshall Chief Steward,i sailed with Arthur on the Orenda Bridge,then worked with offshore, my main memory of Arthur was when he took me to his cabin for a good talking to for being adrift in oz Dampier of all places for 3 days,when the door closed i thought here goes, but to my surprise he sat me down gave me a beer and tryied to guide me down the right path. Captain Odddy oh yes he had my signiture once or twice in the old log book.great memorys even so .

Paddy Power
3rd October 2011, 20:20
Hi All,

Best regards to all

MHL

I was a Loading Master in Angola in the early 1990's and while our normal shuttle tanker was in dry dock her place was taken by a chartered in vessel. The crew were Indian senior officers and Phillipino junior officers and crew and the owners were probably Belgian as Fina was the Terminal operator. I can't remember the name of the vessel but she was ex Houlders and built in Belfast. She would have been about 70,000 tons dwt. and the one thing I remember is that she had short stubby bridge wings. I took an interest at the time because I was ex Houlders 1968 to 1975.
Mike McKenzie