How to scan a very large photo.

LizzieNo1
10th February 2008, 04:30
Hi people,
I have a very old large photo 22" x 19" B/W photo of RMS Caronia, theproblem is that my scanner is only an A4 size.
I haven't a clue how to go about getting the photo scanned, it's so big that it won't fit on it to orientate it to stitch together (if you get my meaning).
Would I have to take another photo of the photo? or... any ideas would be most welcome.
I really would like to get this up in the gallery. The story goes, that my grandad rescued the photo as it was being thrown out of a pub when it closed down in Southampton many years ago. The frame has long gone, the cardboard backing is in bad condition, but the picture is amazingly perfectly intact.

Frank Holleran
10th February 2008, 04:41
The only suggestion I have....if you have a digital camera, take a photo of it, so it fills your lens...then load it onto your PC, and then resize to 800 x 600 on a program like IrfanView.
Regards
Frank

davetodd
10th February 2008, 09:16
Hello Lizzie
If you have a good public library nearby, maybe they have an A3 scanner they might make a CD for you.
My local library at Grimsby have done this a few times for the public.

Best of luck

Dave

JoK
10th February 2008, 11:54
Check around for a shop with a bueprint scanner.
Architects or naval architects.
Or find out who they use. The cost is very reasonable.

PAULD
10th February 2008, 14:03
library, if they have a decent photo copier, get them to reduce the size on a photo copier, then scan the smaller image

LizzieNo1
10th February 2008, 14:14
Thank you everyone for great ideas, first of all I'm going to try scan it on my A4 scanner, see what results i can achieve. Failing that, I will take a photo with my digital camera, but, I think for me, getting the light right will be a problem.
I will try through the methods offered here by you good people, I will let you know how I get on. If successful, it will be in my gallery... hopefully.
Thanks again everyone!!

K urgess
10th February 2008, 14:25
You can scan it in sections and use software to patch it back together.
Not usually perfect but can be quite acceptable with a bit of fiddling.
This (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/93313/ppuser/8196) was scanned in two halves across the middle.
The trick is to either get them all perfectly straight or have software that will straighten them to fractions of a degree.

JKM
10th February 2008, 14:50
Failing that, I will take a photo with my digital camera, but, I think for me, getting the light right will be a problem.

Thanks again everyone!!

You could take a photo and then use an imaging program
such as photoshop or the gimp(free) to get the right lighting balance.

K urgess
10th February 2008, 16:40
The problem with taking a photograph of it is the angle of the lens that tends to turn the straight edges into curves.
Unless you have a programme that will infinitely stretch an image to turn it square again.

LizzieNo1
10th February 2008, 22:36
Thank you everyone who helped on my problem, and, it's now uploaded to the gallery.
I think it looks all right, it has taken me the best part of a day to get the picture right. The picture was worse than I thought, stains on the image, and blemished all over the place. Still, I think it came through in the end. Luckily I didn't have any rips or pieces missing, in that it was perfectly ok.
Anyways, thanks all again, it helped a heck of a lot!!

K urgess
10th February 2008, 22:41
I'm impressed. Well Done (Applause)

LizzieNo1
10th February 2008, 22:49
Thank you very much good sir!!
I thought about putting the original picture up, but didn't think it would be wise to do so, not really sure what it would accomplish.
Thanks again!!

K urgess
10th February 2008, 22:57
Sometimes warts 'n all works.
Why don't you post a small copy of what you started with as an attachment to this thread?

sparkie2182
10th February 2008, 22:59
for my own interest i ran your pic through a pic enhancer programme.
it was unable to make any improvement whatsoever.

well done and thanks for posting a lovely pic of a great cunarder

LizzieNo1
11th February 2008, 16:56
Ok Marconi, here I think is the picture.http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd250/FoxBat25/?action=view&current=RMSCaroniaPicture02.jpg

K urgess
11th February 2008, 16:59
That's scary, Lizzie.
You did a good job. I would've binned it (LOL)

LizzieNo1
11th February 2008, 17:17
Ha ha, your not wrong there, but I love a challenge.
I think if anyone would like to try, let me know, I'll email them the 4 parts.
Putting aside the difficulty, it is quite fun to give it a go.
The 4 parts are quite huge in Photoshop PSD format, but I will reduce them to JPEG to be more e-mail friendly.