Good Hope Castle

R831814
11th February 2008, 18:52
I have just posted a couple of press reports in the gallery relating to the GHC fire in 1973. Also posted a photo of her adrift some time ago.

Alan Tearle
9th July 2008, 18:35
Hi Reg, I was an engineer cadet (gadget) on the GHC on that trip so we probably met at some time on the voyage home. I have just revisited this site after some months and found your posting and having felt that there must have been quite a few photos taken from Southampton Castle and that eventually they would find their way onto the net it's great to find one at last. I have to ask the question, have you got any more? as I would love to get copies of them if you have.
Alan

R831814
9th July 2008, 19:36
Hi Reg, I was an engineer cadet (gadget) on the GHC on that trip so we probably met at some time on the voyage home. I have just revisited this site after some months and found your posting and having felt that there must have been quite a few photos taken from Southampton Castle and that eventually they would find their way onto the net it's great to find one at last. I have to ask the question, have you got any more? as I would love to get copies of them if you have.
Alan

Send me an e-mail with your address and I'll print off what I have and send to you. They were great ships although I'm sure your memories were not quite as happy as mine! She was a sorry sight when we saw her that morning.
I sailed on both of them as Deck Cadet and 2nd mate.

Alan Tearle
9th July 2008, 21:17
Thanks Reg, e-mail is on it's way. That trip was going to be my last before returning to college and yes she was a sorry sight but I have very fond memories of her and my shipmates. (well most of them!)

G0SLP
9th July 2008, 21:55
My cousin was 4/E on her at the time of the fire

Glyndwr
10th July 2008, 08:40
I was on the Edinburgh Castle as 3rd R/O at the time and I remember receiving the distress message. We were not the nearest ship but we held off our course just in case to assist with any injuries

Glyn