White Star Line

al1934
15th February 2008, 17:31
Following extract from front page ads in newspaper "Sherborne, Dorchester, & Taunton Journal" dated 3 February 1859, which I found screwed up in a hold in a wall in my old house in Wellington. Does anyone have any more information on the shipping line and/or the ships?

"NOTICE" - The "WHITE STAR" CLIPPERS, comprising the largest, finest and fastest clippers in the world, will be despatched punctually at noon of the 1st and 20th of every month.

"WHITE STAR" LINE

Of British and Australian Ex-Royal Mail Packets, sailing from LIVERPOOL to MELBOURNE, on the 1st and 20th of every Month, and from MELBOURNE to LIVERPOOL on the 1st of every Month. Passengers forwarded by steamers to all parts of Australia, Tasmania, &c, at through rates.

RED JACKET, H.O'Halloran.
PRINCE OF THE SEAS, H.A. Brown.
BLUE JACKET, Clarke
MERMAID, Jas. White
BEECHWORTH, Thos. Frain
CYCLONE, Geo. Kerr
WHITE STAR, T.C. Kerr
STAR OF THE EAST, Gaggs
SHALIMAR, J.R. Brown
ARABIAN, M. Gandy
SIROCCO, J. Flood
SULTANA, Brewster
AND OTHER CELEBRATED CLIPPERS.

ARABIAN, M. Gandy, 1068, 3500, Feb. 20.
SCOTTISH CHIEF, Buchan, 1053, 3500, March 1.

Passengers embark on the 18th and 28th February. The celebrated clipper ships "Arabian" and "Scottish Chief" will be despatched punctually as above. They were both constructed by Messrs. Nevins, the builders of the renowned "Chrysolite", "Shalimar", &c, &c, and are famous for having made some of the fastest passages on record. The "Arabian" has made the voyage round the world in 6 months and 19 days, her outward and homeward passages being 75 and 79 days respectively. The "Scottish Chief" has made one voyage to Melbourne, beating every ship of the season, and made the passage between Liverpool and Bombay in 76 days, eclipsing the passages of the fastest clippers in the trade. Saloons supplied with bedding, linen, &c.

For freight or passage apply to the owners,
H.T. WILSON and CHAMBERS, 21, Water Street, Liverpool; or to Mr. ROBERT HELLARD, 24, North-st, Taunton, Mr. SEALEY CLARKE, Saddler, Crewkerne, Agents.

Peter4447
15th February 2008, 17:38
This White Star Line was actually purchased by Ismay when it fell upon hard times and it became the famous White Star Line that owned amongst many other liners the Titanic.
Peter4447(Thumb)

al1934
15th February 2008, 17:45
Thank you, Peter!

Best wishes

Peter4447
15th February 2008, 19:20
No problem Alick.
I came upon this information when I picked an old dessert spoon up at a car boot sale that had the White Star Line houseflag on it. It was made by Elkingtons and had a date mark on the reverse which was about 20 years before The White Star Line and Bruce Ismay came on the scene. Did some digging and this was the answer!
Peter(Thumb)

al1934
15th February 2008, 22:13
Amazing! Elementary to a Sherlock.

Best wishes

treeve
15th February 2008, 22:18
I came upon this information when I picked an old dessert spoon up at a car boot sale ... Did some digging and this was the answer!
Amazing what can be dug up with a desert spoon.... sand ....

Peter4447
15th February 2008, 22:46
Amazing what can be dug up with a desert spoon.... sand ....

Thanks Raymond - I wondered who would be the first..........!
Peter(Jester)

treeve
15th February 2008, 22:50
They used to call me the Dessert Prince ... I like my puddings...
Until I spilt it all, and then it was Pudding on my top hat, pudding on my tails ... thank you and goodnight Fred ...

Thursosmith
13th August 2011, 01:43
I have an oil painting of the Wisconsin owned by this company it was the first steamer to sail using compound engines.

Tom(Tucker)Kirby
19th August 2011, 17:12
This White Star Line was actually purchased by Ismay when it fell upon hard times and it became the famous White Star Line that owned amongst many other liners the Titanic.
Peter4447(Thumb)

And in 1934 was taken over by Cunard Line to prevent it from disappearing forever, nudged by the government.

R396040
20th August 2011, 17:11
And in 1934 was taken over by Cunard Line to prevent it from disappearing forever, nudged by the government.

Yes I remember similar spoons & other cutlery with White Star logo on SS Valacia in early fifties she was a Cunard cargo boat,Empire or Fort not sure which. We also flew the White star pennant./Was on the London to
run Montreal run.
Stuart H