Emigration circa 1859

al1934
15th February 2008, 18:09
Following is the last extract I can find which may have some interest on this website, from front page ads in Sherborne, Dorchester & Taunton Journal and Wells, Bridgwater, and Tiverton Gazette newspaper dated 3 February 1859, which I found screwed up in a hole in a wall in my old house in Wellington, Somerset. This is purely for interest, there being no shipping line mentioned.

EMIGRATION

PASSENGERS for NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, NEW YORK or CANADA, should apply at S. CLARKE's General Emigration Office, South-Street, Crewkerne, where the fullest and latest information may be obtained, and passages secured in first-class ships.

NEW ZEALAND..............at 17 and upwards
AUSTRALIA..................at 14 and upwards
AMERICA.....................at 3.10s. & upwards

Government Free Emigration to Australia for Single Female Domestic Servants

*** TAKE NOTICE - Assisted Passages to New Zealand for Agricultural Labourers, Shepherds, Carpenters, Blacksmiths, Wheelwrights, Sawyers, Gardeners, and Domestic Servants.

spongebob
15th February 2008, 21:31
This type of History is pure gold.
I note that assisted passages were available to NZ for tradesmen etc but not to Australia.Perhaps it was because they did not stop sending convicts until the last shipment to Perth in 1868 and were getting the artisans for free!

al1934
15th February 2008, 22:20
Yes, I'm sure you are correct there, Bob.

Best wishes