XP Tweaks - AT YOUR OWN RISK!

kwg
17th February 2008, 14:42
Handy site (but know what you are doing with some of them).....

www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

benjidog
17th February 2008, 17:23
Thanks for the link KWG - there are some interesting things on that site that I had not seen before.

However I must draw the attention to non-computer experts to the risks that you run in fiddling with your Windows operating system. You need to be sure you know what you are doing, and that you can undo it if necessary! If you don't I recommend you to leave well alone!

I have changed the thread title to reflect the potential risk.

Regards,

Brian

treeve
17th February 2008, 17:52
Absolutely, Brian ... as far as I can see, the question, for me is, what is the importance of most of these "tweeks"? It is absolutely vital, particularly if you are unsure, is to make a back up of the Registry, and to set a Restore Point at those change dates. It is one thing poking around, as I do, to alter settings direct, it is quite another placing a naive faith in another's progette. Windows is getting ever more complex, as each addition, revision and alteration is made, and any slight alteration in the Registry can cause uncontrollable and irrecoverable damage. Put not thy Trust in Princes.
Best Wishes, Raymond

sparkie2182
17th February 2008, 20:04
unless you can give a talk for 15 minutes on what the p.c. registry does and explain its functions........

leave it alone.

just my thoughts.....

mcgurggle
17th February 2008, 22:10
If you WANT to learn - f**k it up - then fix it !!!
McG

Another Man
1st March 2008, 02:27
That site contains a bit too much info for someone new.
Maybe let's just start with some performance tweaks (system, advanced, perfromance settings) and a good start up manager to try and decrease windows start up.
regards,
Juan