Harrisons Clyde

Old Jake
19th February 2008, 01:16
I'm looking for photographs of the ships I served my time on as deck cadet with Harrisons Clyde. These included the Vennachar, Volnay, Varna and Norse Lion. Also interested to hear from anyone who served on these ships(Pint) (Pint)

Don Matheson
19th February 2008, 12:14
Cant help you with photos, will search arond for some, but sailed on the Volnay from new for around ten months. Unsure of date due to missing discharge book. Went to her from Bolnes and Binsnes which Harrisons managed at the time.
Deck cadets on Volnay were Alf Cashmore and Dougie McLaren (name?) both good guys who seemed to spend most of their time working with Hector the mate.
If you came to Volnay from Vennacher did you sail with Jimmy Wilson the electrician?
Seems we used to live about five miles from each other.

Don

ian d.cameron
19th February 2008, 16:38
VENNACHAR with photo
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=2511

VOLNAY
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=2518
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/146309

NORSE LION
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/223521

VARNA
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/113960

Can't see any photos for the last three in the usual places, but maybe someone will come up with one under a different name.

Old Jake
20th February 2008, 08:58
Cant help you with photos, will search arond for some, but sailed on the Volnay from new for around ten months. Unsure of date due to missing discharge book. Went to her from Bolnes and Binsnes which Harrisons managed at the time.
Deck cadets on Volnay were Alf Cashmore and Dougie McLaren (name?) both good guys who seemed to spend most of their time working with Hector the mate.
If you came to Volnay from Vennacher did you sail with Jimmy Wilson the electrician?
Seems we used to live about five miles from each other.

Don
Don,

I joined Vennachar in Sept 1969, 10 month trip, and then Volnay in July 1970.
Alf Cashmore (terrible stutter he had) joined Vennachar just before I got off. Hector Cameron, little tyrant, was mate on Vennachar when I was there.Eric
Muir and Jones were the old men. I don't remember the name of lecky on Volnay but have a photo of him somewhere. He was a little bloke from Clydebank I think. Lecky on Vennachar was a chap by the name of Marshall.
Its a small world.

Old Jake
20th February 2008, 09:00
Thanks for info Ian. Volnay was built alongside QE2 and many thought it was the scrap off the QE2 the it was built with.

Don Matheson
20th February 2008, 21:05
Old Jake

Joined Volnay from new 1969 and was there for ten months. I thought it was a good ship as far as living and working and had some good guys. I was 4/E on it and enjoyed my time on her. Ch/E was a pain, chap from Greenock, did what he could to upset the boys instead of helping them.
Alf Cashmore must have done the Vennacher as his second trip, terrible stutter but a real good guy. Wee Hector, your right a tyrant, but pretty good mate and taught Alf and Dougie a lot.
Jimmy Wilson was from Dumbarton but lived in Norway and you would have remembered him. Cant remember the skipper could have been Muir but 2/Mate was a nice guy from Rothesay.
I remember going to Hamburg to have car decks fitted, took months, and first real trip was London to US west coast with cars, then mostly bulk to Japan returning with cars to US East Coast. Odd trip up the Orinocco for ore then left to fly home after what was a good trip.
Don

Old Jake
21st February 2008, 09:02
Did you sail with 3rd Mate Jim Coombes? Think he may have been on the Bolnes and Binsnes? Were they Jebsen ships?

capesize
21st February 2008, 15:03
Hello together

I just checked the net for some infos about Harrison Clyde and am glad to founf this page. The background of my search is a vessel on which I served several times all togehter more as three years, the AKRON (Metrofin, Switzerland) or ex Norse Lion from Cardigan Shipping (Harrison Clyde. I sailed on her first time in 1986 in this time still some stuff from the time when the vessel was owned by Harrisons was on board. today I regret that I didnīt managed totake one of the tea cups with the companies logo with me. I still have a Engine log sheet out of this time when she sailed under the british flag. The class room for the trainess was full of it, also old crew list was found but ....... not to much saved in this time. You will find pics of her under www.swiss-ships.ch.
Anyway she was a good vessel a lot of nice and good thoughts about her we was sailing mainly in the grain products trade from the Gulf to Europe but from time to time we also sailed to Brazil and South Africa to take minerals from where to Asia or Europe.
Hope it helps a bit enjoy the pics at the webside from swiss-ships
Andreas (Capesize)

ian d.cameron
21st February 2008, 22:13
http://www.swiss-ships.ch/schiffe-ausland/metrofin/akron_D5FV/fr_akron_D5FV.htm

Old Jake
22nd February 2008, 08:56
Hello together

You will find pics of her under www.swiss-ships.ch.
Anyway she was a good vessel a lot of nice and good thoughts about her we was sailing mainly in the grain products trade from the Gulf to Europe but from time to time we also sailed to Brazil and South Africa to take minerals from where to Asia or Europe.
Hope it helps a bit enjoy the pics at the webside from swiss-ships
Andreas (Capesize)

Thanks for thatand it is a very good photograph. When I was on the ship it was trading between Port Hedland in North West Australia and Japan. I liked the ship but did not enjoy the voyages.

ian d.cameron
22nd February 2008, 11:30
Well Well, speak of the devil and he's sure to appear.
In the gallery today from Aldinga
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery//showphoto.php?photo=104566

Don Matheson
22nd February 2008, 11:41
Ian

Was just about to post and say the same. Cracking photo of my and Old Jake's old ship. Havent seen that one before, in fact have found very few photos of her anywhere.
Old Jake
No dont remember Jim Coombes, I was on the Bolnes from the shipyard then went to the Binsnes. Yes they were Jebsens ships, built on the clyde with Sulzer engines running mostly UK, west africa then on to Australia returning via Suez, good run. Guys I remember well were both chief engineers, name of Blue and both related.
Don

grahamshamer
29th November 2009, 20:55
I joined the Vennacher in Kobe ( Dry Dock ) 9.2.69 and left 10 months later 9.1.70 at Nagoya I sailed as 4th Engineer. Names I remember are Captain Tremayne,Captain Muir,A Lecky called Dave Huston,followed by one who was called Marshal(from Clysdale) The Senior 3rd Engineer was called Kenny(from Stornaway) Hope this fills in a few gaps.

Charlie_Wood
29th November 2009, 21:33
Ian

Was just about to post and say the same. Cracking photo of my and Old Jake's old ship. Havent seen that one before, in fact have found very few photos of her anywhere.
Old Jake
No dont remember Jim Coombes, I was on the Bolnes from the shipyard then went to the Binsnes. Yes they were Jebsens ships, built on the clyde with Sulzer engines running mostly UK, west africa then on to Australia returning via Suez, good run. Guys I remember well were both chief engineers, name of Blue and both related.Don

Arthur and his son Archie.

jimmyjenk
9th December 2009, 14:39
Hey Charlie, I thought it was Archie[B] and his son [B]Arthur.

Charlie_Wood
9th December 2009, 16:58
Hey Charlie, I thought it was Archie[B] and his son [B]Arthur.

Of course, I'm old you know!! Had a long PM from John McAuslin at the weekend. You'll all be coming back with slitty eyes (TM Prince Phillip)(Jester)

jimmyjenk
10th December 2009, 05:30
I wouldn't describe you as old. It's the fact that I'm not old enough to have sailed with Archie, is the main reason I remember.
You're out a bit early for the World Cup, or haven't you made it back from the Lions tour ?

jimmyjenk
25th December 2009, 10:47
Merry Christmas to all ex Harry Clyde and ex Stirling members. All the very best from Jimmy (Madness).

jimmyjenk
2nd January 2010, 04:39
The records of Harrisons (Clyde) are now in the National Archives at the Glasgow University Archive Services department.
Accessions to Repositories in 2008.

"•Harrisons (Clyde) Ltd, shipowners, Glasgow: records incl annual reports and accounts, cash books, ledgers, re-structuring files, ship plans, ship movement books, ship management files, deck log books, engine log books 1956-2004 (ACCN3109)"

It was often a topic of discussion - what happens to the old log books !
Who knows, you might find out how much everyone was paid.
One thing that won't be in it - a receipt for a gold watch for my 25 years service, I almost regret all the cheek I gave out.

briangdav
8th March 2012, 16:04
Don,

I joined Vennachar in Sept 1969, 10 month trip, and then Volnay in July 1970.
Alf Cashmore (terrible stutter he had) joined Vennachar just before I got off. Hector Cameron, little tyrant, was mate on Vennachar when I was there.Eric
Muir and Jones were the old men. I don't remember the name of lecky on Volnay but have a photo of him somewhere. He was a little bloke from Clydebank I think. Lecky on Vennachar was a chap by the name of Marshall.
Its a small world.

Was R/O on the Vennachar from October 68 to 24th September 69. Rushed out to join it in Tokyo as the R/O had taken ill. Left in Charleston and flew back to Prestwick with 3rd Off Dunda McLeod from Lewis. It was a happy ship although I decided to make it my last voyage and left Marconi to start with Honeywell in I.T. Here is a photo of the Vennachar taken at anchor off Kobe.

briangdav
8th March 2012, 16:13
I joined the Vennacher in Kobe ( Dry Dock ) 9.2.69 and left 10 months later 9.1.70 at Nagoya I sailed as 4th Engineer. Names I remember are Captain Tremayne,Captain Muir,A Lecky called Dave Huston,followed by one who was called Marshal(from Clysdale) The Senior 3rd Engineer was called Kenny(from Stornaway) Hope this fills in a few gaps.

We were on the Vennachar at the same time - what was your job? Just remembered that Kenny the 3rd Engineer also flew home with Dunda and myself. Captain Muir was a great captain and had many a chat with him bit different from Treymayne who should have been on a cruise ship!.

ACuriousVenture
14th March 2012, 23:22
A History of Harrisons (Clyde) including Stirling Shipping has just been written and published by Iain Harrison under the title of 'A Curious Venture'. It has many photographs in full colour and short biographies of seagoing and office personnel, anecdotes and extracts from 'Clanger'. Unfortunately it was not possible to mention everyone individually who worked with us over the years, but no-one is forgotten. We were a great team! Anyone interested in having a copy as a gift, please apply to acuriousventure@gmail.com with full name and address. One copy per applicant while stocks last.

Best Wishes

david watson
19th March 2012, 16:13
We were on the Vennachar at the same time - what was your job? Just remembered that Kenny the 3rd Engineer also flew home with Dunda and myself. Captain Muir was a great captain and had many a chat with him bit different from Treymayne who should have been on a cruise ship!.

Hi there,

I was on Vennachar at the same time. Joined her as 2nd Mate 23/1/68, was promoted Mate 27/10/68, and left her in New Orleans 19/4/69. JJ Tremayne was the original Master and was relieved by Eric Muir. I recall the R/O going ill in Japan; he lost his balance due to Meuniers Disease which affected the control system inside his ear, so had to go home.

David Watson.

Markjohn2001
5th April 2012, 18:44
My mother worked in Harrison's Glasgow office in the '70s and '80s.
She still talks very fondly of her time working there and her many happy memories of her "boys" who came to see her while they were visiting the office.
If any of you remember her, she would love to hear from you - I can pass on any messages from this forum.
Sadly, my father (Lex) died nearly 7 years ago, and mum is now registered blind - although she still lives by herself in the family home.
I was spurred to post here when I heard about Mr Harrison's book.
Thanks for reading.
Mark Johnston

Andrew Craig-Bennett
5th April 2012, 19:01
A company with a golden reputation. I remember being in dry dock aboard the Coral Princess in HUD and having the Valdivia in the next dock (would have been the Tsing Yi Dock) pointed out to me as "Harrisons Clyde - good people!"

There was a story about how Harrisons (Clyde) stood by one of their junior officers who was jailed (for drugs, in Turkey?) which "everybody at sea" knew at the time.

Swires were sleeping partners in Stirling but there was never any operational link between Stirling and SPO in my day.

Charlie_Wood
5th April 2012, 20:23
She still talks very fondly of her time working there and her many happy memories of her "boys" who came to see her while they were visiting the office.
If any of you remember her, she would love to hear from you - I can pass on any messages from this forum.
Sadly, my father (Lex) died nearly 7 years ago, and mum is now registered blind - although she still lives by herself in the family home.
Thanks for reading.
Mark Johnston

Mark, your Mum Marion is fondly remembered by us all. She features in IVRH's great book, I hope you have got a copy.

david watson
8th April 2012, 22:52
Thanks for reading.
Mark Johnston

Hi Mark,

I remember your mother Marion very well, and with many fond memories. When phoning from deep sea hers was the first voice heard over the phone, and she was always so pleased to hear from the ships. She was a great contact with the families over the years, and was always most welcoming when you went into the office for debriefing at the end of a voyage.
Please give her my very best wishes when next you speak with her.

Regards,
David Watson.

ACuriousVenture
10th April 2012, 22:29
mark

can you please email

acuriousventure@gmail.com and i will reply via that address

many thanks
Michelle

Thanks for reading.
Mark Johnston

D.W.G.Anderson
26th April 2012, 20:31
Greetings gentlemen, I was looking for any old photos of the British Monarch my first ship and came upon Ship Nostalgia. I was with Harrisons Clyde from 1972 to 1977 and sailed on British Monarch, Volnay, Norse Marshal, Norse Pilot twice, Norse lion, Laurentian Forest and finaly the Vimera. The only name I can recognise was Alfie Cashmore and Capt J.J.Trimayne, I sailed with Alfie and J.J. twice, both on the Norse pilot and again on the Norse Lion. Alfie's stammer could be quite pronounced at times but give him a guitar and a song and it was gone. He was without a doubt one of the nicest guys I had the pleasure to meet. After I left Harrisons I moved to Triport Ferries and their Ro/Ro ferries.
Can anyone direct me to where I can get a copy of Ian Harrisons book "A Curious Venture"? I have not had any luck on the web

Gulpers
27th April 2012, 00:41
Can anyone direct me to where I can get a copy of Ian Harrisons book "A Curious Venture"? I have not had any luck on the web
D.W.G.Anderson,
Have a look at the first post in this (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?p=593440#post593440) thread. You may be lucky if they have any copies left. (Thumb)

Hugh Slavin
15th May 2012, 19:57
Old Jake

Jimmy Wilson was from Dumbarton but lived in Norway and you would have remembered him. Cant remember the skipper could have been Muir but 2/Mate was a nice guy from Rothesay.
I remember going to Hamburg to have car decks fitted, took months, and first real trip was London to US west coast with cars, then mostly bulk to Japan returning with cars to US East Coast. Odd trip up the Orinocco for ore then left to fly home after what was a good trip.
Don

Hey Donnie, after my last reply (Jennie from Baltimore), you must be referring to Wee Jimmy Harper, surely!! It was he who came knocking when I would be crashed out in Baltimore with a big smile on his face and "someone to see you sparks!)

Great times I thought on the Volnay. I have some piccs with you in them as we went up the road - must have been up the Orinoco) all the best - Hugh or as Jimmy Wilson would say (Shuggie)

Old Jake
11th September 2012, 09:23
Was R/O on the Vennachar from October 68 to 24th September 69. Rushed out to join it in Tokyo as the R/O had taken ill. Left in Charleston and flew back to Prestwick with 3rd Off Dunda McLeod from Lewis. It was a happy ship although I decided to make it my last voyage and left Marconi to start with Honeywell in I.T. Here is a photo of the Vennachar taken at anchor off Kobe.

I joined the Vennachar the day that you left. I can't remember the RO who was there. Cpt was Eric Muir. A chap from Greenock was mate relieved by Wee Hector, 2nd Mate was Ian Cocker from Aberdeen (I met him again in 2000 on one of Gulf Offshore supply boats, 3rd Mate was Jim Coombes, Chief Eng I don't remember his name but his wife was on board, he paid off sick and Archie McReath who was second was temporarily promoted, Third eng was a Geordie Kenny Brown (I think), Jnr third eng was Stuart ?. 4th Eng was Graham Hammer. ?? Marshall was lecky and Norrie McKillop (Snr) and me (jnr) cadets.

Great foto briangdav

MDSouter
28th July 2013, 13:48
My sister in law Anne Graham worked in the office for Harrison's Clyde in the late 1960's/early 1970's. She became Anne Souter when she married my brother. She then went to, I think, Western Shipping.

weg43
28th July 2013, 18:53
Hi All; Prior to finding this particular thread,I posted in the thread "Simandou" about a terrible accident which occurred on that ship.

I was not on this ship but I was discussing the incident, with another old ex sea dog recently and wondered if anyone had more information about it.

Having just found this particular thread,I think I may be more likely to get a response here.

Previously posted;on Simandou thread.

" does anyone recall the sad and terrible accident that happened on Simandou perhaps late 60's or early 70's. A deck crew member was caught by a runner or something and lost his legs. I believe Iain Harrison took over the hospitalization,rehab and later welfare of this unfortunate man. If someone does recall this incident,do they know where and when it happened and what Mates and Engineers were on board at the time."

Apologies,if this brings back unwanted memories to anyone, weg43

George McCaffery
4th August 2013, 19:10
I Joined the Norse Herald as R/O in Immingham Jan 1975 paying off
in Kashima in August 1975. Sailed with my wife Pam on this trip.
Capt was Cowie, mates were two brothers from Stornoway Alex and Callum (family names have gone) 3rd Mate was Pat Breslin unfortunately other names have gone in the fog of time.

Lewis
4th August 2013, 19:22
Hi All; Prior to finding this particular thread,I posted in the thread "Simandou" about a terrible accident which occurred on that ship.

I was not on this ship but I was discussing the incident, with another old ex sea dog recently and wondered if anyone had more information about it.

Having just found this particular thread,I think I may be more likely to get a response here.

Previously posted;on Simandou thread.

" does anyone recall the sad and terrible accident that happened on Simandou perhaps late 60's or early 70's. A deck crew member was caught by a runner or something and lost his legs. I believe Iain Harrison took over the hospitalization,rehab and later welfare of this unfortunate man. If someone does recall this incident,do they know where and when it happened and what Mates and Engineers were on board at the time."

Apologies,if this brings back unwanted memories to anyone, weg43

The story I heard was that the crew were lowering derricks and were surging the wires on the winch barrels. There was a snag on the wire and it either caught on the clothing or the flesh of the unfotunate chap and he let go the end of the wire, which wrapped round his legs and pulled him on to the winch barrel.

The Sailorman
20th September 2013, 16:30
Does any body remember the VALLDIMOSA I sailed on her 10-12-1957 to
4-3-1959 a very eventfull trip, The only crew that I am still in touch with is
Jimmy Warr who was from Manchester he now lives in Australia, If there is
still any one who was on that trip I would like to hear from you.
Regards from Dennis P

david watson
15th October 2013, 23:08
The story I heard was that the crew were lowering derricks and were surging the wires on the winch barrels. There was a snag on the wire and it either caught on the clothing or the flesh of the unfotunate chap and he let go the end of the wire, which wrapped round his legs and pulled him on to the winch barrel.

A friend of mine, Harry Churchill, who later became Master with HCL, was 2nd Mate on Simandou when this dreadful accident occurred, told me about it. He was having his meal when the news came in and rushed out to see what he could do. Both legs had been severed and, as it turned out, could not be rejoined to the stumps. The Guinean crew were not traditional deep seamen and it was really on the job training. She was owned by the Guinean government and they insisted on using their own men as seamen.
The man was hospitalised in the USA, and when fit to be flown home, Iain arranged for him to be brought first of all to Glasgow, where his treatment continued, and eventually prostetics were fitted to both legs. Iain understood that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for the man to get any kind of employment in Guinea, so he arranged for him to go into HCL office in Woodside Crescent where he was taught the arts of bookkeeping, so that, when he eventually went home he would be able to look after his family.
Not many shipowners would have had the humanity to do this for one of their employees, and I was very fortunate to work for one such as Iain Harrison.

grahamshamer
8th November 2013, 18:47
Hi there,

I was on Vennachar at the same time. Joined her as 2nd Mate 23/1/68, was promoted Mate 27/10/68, and left her in New Orleans 19/4/69. JJ Tremayne was the original Master and was relieved by Eric Muir. I recall the R/O going ill in Japan; he lost his balance due to Meuniers Disease which affected the control system inside his ear, so had to go home.

David Watson.

Are you on Facebook, we need to have a quicker longer talk.
Graham

david watson
12th December 2013, 22:58
Hi Graham,
Sorry not on Facebook.

For those old HCL men, I was at the funeral last Monday of Harold Lawson, our retired Crew Manager. He was 87 and had been ill for some time, his wife having predeceased him. There was a good turn out, and it was good to meet Willie Barnes and Gordon Maver, ex sea staff, and from the office Ken Cadenhead and Ninian Stewart. Not many of us left now.

Chris Jenkins
19th March 2014, 08:12
Greetings gentlemen, I was looking for any old photos of the British Monarch my first ship and came upon Ship Nostalgia. I was with Harrisons Clyde from 1972 to 1977 and sailed on British Monarch, Volnay, Norse Marshal, Norse Pilot twice, Norse lion, Laurentian Forest and finaly the Vimera. The only name I can recognise was Alfie Cashmore and Capt J.J.Trimayne, I sailed with Alfie and J.J. twice, both on the Norse pilot and again on the Norse Lion. Alfie's stammer could be quite pronounced at times but give him a guitar and a song and it was gone. He was without a doubt one of the nicest guys I had the pleasure to meet. After I left Harrisons I moved to Triport Ferries and their Ro/Ro ferries.

Hello D,
Did you manage to get a picture of British Monarch ? I sailed on the second vessel of that name for 10 months as R/O in 1972 under Capt Gowie for most of the time, and with my great friend 3/O Jimmy Coyle who I have lost touch with as one does.
I have been unable to trace a photo of the old BM for which I hold many fond memories, so if you have had better luck I'd really appreciate a link.
Regards
Chris

Jim Coyle
16th April 2014, 15:01
Have photo of British Monarch when we were anchored off Osaka with Aussie coal not sure how to post it

Chris Jenkins
16th April 2014, 18:49
Have photo of British Monarch when we were anchored off Osaka with Aussie coal not sure how to post it

Great Jim! I've sent you a Private Message which you can access from the tool bar at the top of the page.

Chris

gadgee
16th April 2014, 19:32
One British Monarch here

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54517/title/british-monarch/cat/510
and
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/407945/title/british-monarch/cat/510

another newer one here

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/116647/title/british-monarch-north-pacific/cat/510

Just search in our Gallery

Chris Jenkins
16th April 2014, 19:39
Yep, thanks...the second Bulk carrier was the one I was looking for, and photos of her are elusive. I am pretty certain I was on her when the photo was taken as I remember the mid Pacific meeting.

Jim Coyle
22nd April 2014, 11:21
Wrong Chris as at the time Volnay went screaming past us BM had a blue hull
I do remember Gowrie not letting us get to close in case SOMETHING happened

Chris Jenkins
22nd April 2014, 12:51
Wrong Chris as at the time Volnay went screaming past us BM had a blue hull
I do remember Gowrie not letting us get to close in case SOMETHING happened

Ah....yes that sounds right ! Did you get my PM Jim ?

Chris

Johnallan1
17th May 2014, 15:08
I was 5th on the Norse Pilot and Laurentian Forest, then 4th on the Norse Herald.

I have heard there was a book published about Harrison's Clyde and would like to get a copy

Jim Coyle
17th May 2014, 18:12
Book is called A Curious Venture and is quite good as Michelle could be contacted at acuriousventure@gmail.com and Michelle was very quick at sending my copy

david watson
15th June 2014, 22:03
Book is called A Curious Venture and is quite good as Michelle could be contacted at acuriousventure@gmail.com and Michelle was very quick at sending my copy

Hi Jim,

Good to see you are still alive and kicking. Don't think we've met since that trip up to Kenai when you broke your wrist, and I had to send a message to Glasgow saying the Mate was plastered!
Hope you are keeping well.

David Watson.