Elstree Grange 1979-1984

Mike Holland-Lloyd
15th July 2007, 21:45
Hi All,

Does anyone have any news of the two product tankers built at Harland & Wolff in 1979, Hornby Grange and Elstree Grange. I know they were sold in the 80's and as a result I was made redundant.

Does anyone know if Captain C.J.Welch, P.J.E. Charman and G.V.Spong are still enjoying retirement.... or what.

Best regards to all

MHL

non descript
15th July 2007, 22:37
Ordered in 1977 from Harland & Wolff, Elstree Grange (Hull 1710) and Hornby Grange (Hull 1709) were christened and delivered side by side in June 1979, then remained as twins, for the rest of their lives; being re-named Santa Lucia and Santa Barbara respectively when they transferred into the care of the Tung Group in 1984, where they traded somewhat unsatisfactorily until they were sold to Belgian Transpetrol in 1988. Eventually both ships arrived at Alang Beach to be broken up within two weeks of each other.

A picture to go with it is here ( http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/30392/si/hornby%20grange/what/allfields)

R58484956
9th February 2008, 16:21
MV Santa Lucia Ex Elstree Grange 35546 tons built 1979 by H& W Belfast.
228.28 x 32.29 x 13.324. 6 cylinder 2SA B&w diesel built by H&W 20500bhp
(15079Kw) 1 wt boiler (of) 32.8 bar. 2 Auxiliary boilers (1 of, 1 ex gas)
3 generators 780Kw 440 volts 60 Hz AC. Code flags ELEF7. DF,ESD, GyC,Pfd,
Radar, RT. Registered Monrovia, Liberian flag. Owned by Fest Pacific Co; Ltd and managed by Denholm Ship Management Ltd. 15.5 Knots.

non descript
19th February 2008, 18:09
I have copied the relevant posts across to this new thread, as it seemed only fair to give this lady her own thread.

Mike Kemble
1st March 2010, 18:50
This is not the WW2 one, is it?

ChandlerBird
4th March 2010, 19:45
If it is, then a seaman named Wheeler won the George Cross for bravery on her, saving two other crew men, I think?

Mike Kemble
4th March 2010, 21:13
I had a query from a family member about the Elstree Grange and this was the only image I could find but did find two references to two Eltree's, one post war, and that image about looks decidely post war. Hope I am wrong.

geoff johnson (lofty)
30th September 2010, 08:54
Mike , This was a liberty ship launched in 1944 as the SAMETRICK it was renamed
ELSTREE GRANGE BY Holders. I sailed on her in 1948 as Deck boy and on my second trip was paid of in BA. Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

geoff johnson (lofty)
30th September 2010, 09:02
If it is, then a seaman named Wheeler won the George Cross for bravery on her, saving two other crew men, I think?

The Elstree Grange that you are refering to was bombed in Liverpool
Docks and was severly damaged that it was scrapped.
Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

Mike Kemble
30th September 2010, 09:57
thanks gents, I presume she means the bombed ship in Liverpool, I will ask.

geoff johnson (lofty)
1st October 2010, 07:50
More info is available in the SN Gallery.Look up ELSTREE GRANGE.
GEOff Johnson (Lofty)

tonymorcom
4th November 2010, 20:43
Hi All,

Does anyone have any news of the two product tankers built at Harland & Wolff in 1979, Hornby Grange and Elstree Grange. I know they were sold in the 80's and as a result I was made redundant.

Does anyone know if Captain C.J.Welch, P.J.E. Charman and G.V.Spong are still enjoying retirement.... or what.

Best regards to all

MHL

I wonder if you remember me Mike, I sailed with you a couple of times in 1975 and 1977 on Orotava as Cadet then 3rd Mate. Remember the MY Angelina incident??

nickpaton
20th November 2012, 00:36
Elstree Grange was the last ship I was Radio Officer on before leaving the Merchant Navy, and spent a lot of time at Harland and Wolfe as part of the commissioning crew.

Whilst doing speed trials in the Irish Sea, we were ordered to immediately kill the main engines as the Hardwick had just had an engine blow out caused by a rag being left in the engine, and the resulting excess crankcase pressure blew out the engine inspection hatches killing a number of crew members. We were then towed back by tug whilst our engines were stripped down and checked and declared rag-free.

Also it was the only time the automatic Distress Equipment actually went off in anger, and because I was commissioning crew I was not the actual RO so didn't get to deal with it! Turned out to be a sailing vessel stuck in some mud.

During her maiden voyage we picked up crude from Bonny in Nigeria and were then given orders to head for the Cape Verde Islands for bunkers.......except apparently someone in the US office claimed never to have sent such a message. However it's very difficult to get "Cape Verde Islands" mixed up in morse compared with goodness knows where they actually meant!!

In any case we ended up going there, and we headed at full speed for the harbour wall with the intention of throwing the engine in reverse to slow us down. As Full Astern was rung nothing happened and it turned out the reverse gear mech had jammed having been in the forward position for so long!
Fortunately the gentle application of multiple sledge hammer blows pursuaded it to engage at the last moment, but not before the locals were seen to be frantically running from the rapidly approaching bows!!

Having finally got "on station" the rest of the voyage was spent transporting crude between Bonaire and Galveston / Mississippi, with the odd job off loading oil tankers that were too wrecked to pass US Safety standards.

Captains Spong and Craven captained the vessel during my time on it.

A good but somewhat unexciting ship but great having all that brand new radio gear to play with!

vasco
20th November 2012, 11:22
Think I may have to correct you a bit there.

It was not the Hardwicke it was the Hornby. Various stories but the favourite was something to do with the Oil Mist detector.

Nobody was injured, let alone killed. It happened at 04:05, luckily three engineers, Malcolm (who is on this site), Gerry Watkiss, other I can't remember(ronnie,Roddy), were in the control room, so they tested the emergency escape.

Ev Partington, the second had gone back to his cabin to get something just as the changing room door shhattered, there was a screw neck high stuck in his door. I was 2/O on there at the time.

I think there is a more detailed thread about this and click here for 2 photos of the aftermath, and a load of other Houlder related http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/95028/title/hornby-grange-1979-cra/cat/500 .

By the way Nick, we must have met up in Belfast, I stood by the 2 of them and if I remeber right we nicked your radio gear as ours didn't work.

nickpaton
20th November 2012, 11:48
Thanks for the corrections Vasco and very good to meet you too.

Being so long ago I can't remember you, but now you mention it I think I do remember losing some of our radio gear for a while!

I was backwards and forwards between Newcastle and Belfast during trials, especially when they tore the engine down after the Hornby incident so it's entirely possible you were on board while I was away - or you were on board at the same time but we all seemed to be doing our own thing at the time and it was only when the ship was finally handed over to us that we got to know one another.

Got to say I'm relieved that no one was hurt in the explosion.

tmshamburg
28th July 2013, 10:21
Hi Vasco, my first post on the site. Its great to read and remember plenty of guys I sailed with. I sailed on Elstree and Hornby 81/82 and the Hornby still had reminders of the explosion! Elstree was by far the best ship of the 2. Sailed with Ev Partington on Lynton in 80. my ships were, Westbury,Humbolt,Black Max, Lynton,Ripon,Elstree,Hornby. Joined Houlders as eng cadet in 1975 and departed in 82. Rgds Ian Thompson

vasco
28th July 2013, 13:14
Hi Vasco, my first post on the site. Its great to read and remember plenty of guys I sailed with. I sailed on Elstree and Hornby 81/82 and the Hornby still had reminders of the explosion! Elstree was by far the best ship of the 2. Sailed with Ev Partington on Lynton in 80. my ships were, Westbury,Humbolt,Black Max, Lynton,Ripon,Elstree,Hornby. Joined Houlders as eng cadet in 1975 and departed in 82. Rgds Ian Thompson

Hi Ian,

If you check my home page there is a full list of my ships there.

Your name is familiar but there again any name is these days!

Vasco

tmshamburg
28th July 2013, 13:32
Hi Vasco, we sailed together on Elstree, I joined in Curacao 14.11.81 with my wife Janice. On board was the mate and his wife, Phil and Lynn, Niel was a junior engineer. As to the rest faces i remember but some of the names take time these days,Chief Eng played the guitar I think.
It should come back to me If I think about it.

rgds
Ian Thompson

LizzieL
11th October 2013, 10:23
I am researching my family tree and have found the death of one of my relatives registered in the index of deaths of passengers and seamen at sea while on the Elstree Grange. His name was Arthur Jack Eltham and the date was September 1956. Looking at posts in this forum I see there was an Elstree Grange destroyed in 1944 and another built in 1979. But there must have been yet another in between these. Does anyone have any information on it? I don't yet know the cause of my relative's death or whether he was a passenger ( if it was a passenger ship) or crew. Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike Kemble
11th October 2013, 12:10
http://usmaritimecommission.de/pictures.php?code=B2407b

elstree Grange 1947 - 1960