Katie Hannan

Edward Bridges 54-03
21st February 2008, 00:19
Has anyone heard anything about the Katie Hannan yet?

I know she's on route to DML in Plymouth (should have arrived today) for a full inspection and survey (and hopefully repairs); but I wondered if anyone knew what the RNLI Inspectors thoughts were after seeing her on Rathlin Island where she grounded.

If the hull is not repairable, given that everything else is OK, can they get a new hull from Green Marine and rebuild her?

Santos
21st February 2008, 20:12
Update from Portrush Lifeboat Station

Update on Katie Hannan

Tues 19th Feb 16:30

'The Terra Marique' barge arrived in Plymouth Sound at approx 16.00 hours to-day. The Katie Hannan will be unloaded at 17.00 hours.

Inspection will begin on 20th February. We'll keep you updated with progress reports.

samuel j
21st February 2008, 21:42
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0215/rescue_av.html

Iain Crosbie
22nd February 2008, 11:32
Interesting clip John. Just like doing a snatch recovery with a nylon rope when your Land-Rover gets bogged down!

Edward Bridges 54-03
22nd February 2008, 23:23
I received a reply today to an email I sent to the RNLI asking what the initial thoughts are on the extent of the damage.

I was told that it will be some weeks before the extent of the damage is understood, but there are various options.

They invited me to enquire again in a few weeks and they will give me an update. I'll update the thread with the information.

Thanks for the footage John - the hull looks in a terrible mess. I didn't realise that they dragged her off! I thought that the lightened her enough that she floated off.

samuel j
17th April 2008, 01:02
Press release due soon from RNLI on her future

some more youtube video of incident : http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=9DMfV8XLE00

Furball
17th April 2008, 10:00
Not a good year for the RNLI so far - Portrush's Severn broke, Dunbar's Trent very very broke, and Longhope's Tamar's little faux pas...

Lance

samuel j
17th April 2008, 10:03
Comes in 3s they say, so lets hope that it.

Edward Bridges 54-03
18th April 2008, 15:56
The RNLI will provide a permanent replacement Severn class lifeboat for Portrush following the decision not to repair the Katie Hannan, which was severely damaged during a rescue off Rathlin Island last January.

The damage sustained to the hull of the Katie Hannan during the atrocious weather that prevented recovery for 2 weeks has resulted in her being found to be beyond economic repair.

A Severn class lifeboat from the RNLI's relief fleet will continue to ensure that the ring of lifeboat cover around the Irish coast remains unbroken until a permanent replacement Severn class lifeboat is allocated to Portrush later this year. The future of the Katie Hannan is still under consideration and it is possible that she may be used in some way for training and education.

The RNLI has also completed its inquiry into the events that led to the grounding of the lifeboat and concluded that no negligence was attributable to the lifeboat crew for their actions in rendering assistance at night, in difficult conditions, on a call out to a vessel in difficulty.

The grounding occurred during the preparation and manoeuvring associated with connecting a tow to the casualty vessel, the Catriona IV, which was in difficulty off the harbour on Rathlin Island. When the grounding occurred, the lifeboat was manoeuvring close inshore, the decision having been taken to provide close cover to the casualty.

Colin Williams, RNLI Divisional Inspector for Ireland, says: ‘Grounding is a constant threat when lifeboats operate close to the shore in shallow water. All our lifeboats are designed to withstand grounding but not even the strongest lifeboat could survive being repeatedly driven against rocks by rough seas and storm force winds over a period of several days.

‘This incident is a reminder of the unpredictability of the sea and the pressure that our volunteers may face at any time when they launch to help those in danger on the sea. Lifeboat operations are often difficult and sometimes dangerous. We train our volunteer crews to make lifesaving decisions in difficult circumstances and this incident has provided important lessons for all our lifeboat crews.

‘The RNLI thanks everyone at Portrush lifeboat station, Larne lifeboat station, members of the Ballycastle and Rathlin Island communities and all those who assisted with the rescue operation and subsequent recovery.