Far Eastern Food

Peter Martin
21st February 2008, 13:16
Reading some of the memories has prompted me to ask if anybody has memories of food eaten ashore in the Far East.
The Kobe Steak eaten in a restaurant on the Motomachi in KObe is one. Was told that the beef, in living form, was fed on milk and massaged daily. Certainly memorable.
Another eatery was Jumbos in Singapore where it was customery to walk in, tell them how much you had and to keep the beer and food coming.
Tricomalee and Colombo were good as well.
Next to the Mt Lavinia Hotel was a beach restaurant which served incredible curried crabs but beware of the steak! Water buffalo I suspect. Behinf=d the restaurant on the landward side of the railway were some quite remakable 'Beach Cabanas' about 15feet off the ground which could be rented by the day. Seem to recall we rented one for a week and then used it when not on duty.
O tempora O mores!

Tai Pan
21st February 2008, 14:05
Nasi Goreang in Tanjong Priok mission

Trevorw
21st February 2008, 14:40
A dozen oysters and pints of ice-cold guinness in silver tankards at the Tanglin Club in Singapore. Then after dinner, sitting around the Piano Bar with the flirty female vocalist!

Tai Pan
21st February 2008, 15:41
is this the same trev who trawled the kobe night life with me?????? must have been my influence?

Trevorw
21st February 2008, 17:05
You were trawling the nightlife, John - nobody would come to the Museum or the 'Mission with me!!

etsac
21st February 2008, 19:44
Hot balmy nights, good food & Tiger beer, watching the 'floor show' in Bugis Street, Singapore (the origional, not the current antiseptic replacement).
Ahhh......the stuff of memories.

Bill Davies
21st February 2008, 20:25
Trevorw,
Talking about Missions does anyone remember a Father Bergmann who ran the Stella Maris up near No.5 Gate (Tanjong Bahru) in Singapore? Repatriated to Rotterdam I believe in the mid 60s and no one knew his whereabouts.
Bill

trotterdotpom
21st February 2008, 23:11
Peter, I think the Kobe beef cattle are fed beer soaked grain, not milk, but could be wrong. I suppose they do get milk until they reach the age when they can legally enter Motomachi sleazy bars.

Was there a mission in Tanjong Priok? They sure had a lot of competition!

I've mentioned it before somewhere, but for me Singapore is always pig's liver in ginger - yum yum.

John T.

Alan Rae
22nd February 2008, 11:49
You learn something new every day-never knew there was a mission in Tanjong Priok and I was running there for four months on a Liberian flag tanker,never saw a Padre.Never mind,there were plenty other things of interest.Alan

Tai Pan
22nd February 2008, 12:11
Sure was a mission, on the way up to the bar that was on the corner with the bordellos behind, not that I ever went, that was in the fifties.

makko
22nd February 2008, 15:05
John,
That would be "Times Square"! I have fond and not so fond memories of Tanjong Priok! I believe it means "Ship Port".
Dave

Trevorw
22nd February 2008, 15:11
Times Square - God! I remember it well! The official currency was the Rupiah, but we used to trade in State Express 555!

Tai Pan
22nd February 2008, 15:37
come to think of it, the mission was run by the dutch, still they welcomed us. I only ever went ashore to go to the mission,s as trev will vouch for.

R651400
22nd February 2008, 17:14
Times Square - God! I remember it well! The official currency was the Rupiah, but we used to trade in State Express 555!
Tiga Lima, could never work out why SE 555s was the preferred currency.
1/10d or just under 10p for a tin of 50, gave enough Rups for a super meal. (remember those king size fried prawns?) enough locally brewed Oranjeboom beer or local brandy and all the other trimmings that went with a night ashore.

Peter Martin
22nd February 2008, 23:41
Must have undergone a middle-aged moment! The restaurant I 'remembered' in Singapore was, in fact, "Fatty's" in Albert St. Does anone recall eating in Connell House after a dip in their superb pool?

Bill Davies
22nd February 2008, 23:59
Remember it well! Always received a good meal. Memories of a 'Toby's Bar' a little way down the road with the Union Bar across the road.

R651400
23rd February 2008, 06:22
come to think of it, the mission was run by the dutch, still they welcomed us. I only ever went ashore to go to the mission,s as trev will vouch for.
Likewise Pulau Bukum and Balikpapan (superb swimming pool) run by Royal Dutch Shell, good food and strict dress protocol.
Something like no shorts after five pm.

oceangoer
23rd February 2008, 22:11
Memories of a 'Toby's Bar' a little way down the road with the Union Bar across the road.

(1963) Toby's was Toby's Paradise Bar, then there was the Straits Cabaret and the Anson Bar where the Middies from BluFlu tried to seduce Jenny.

railroadbill
28th February 2008, 15:53
Padang Kota Lama, Penang, Malaya,
Port view at Port Swettenham, Malaya,
Satay club Singapore,
Mariners Club, Kowloon, Hong Kong,
All good places to eat and very tasty!

Eltel
28th February 2008, 17:08
As an ex Ben Line man could not resist nosing in! Just come back from a holiday in KL and Penang. The grub is still as good and the Hong Kong Bar in Georgetown has been refurbished after the fire. Unfortunately the Port View in Port Klang has been demolished and the new port authority building built on it!

randcmackenzie
28th February 2008, 17:16
What about the soba sellers and other stalls in Japan?

cmakin
28th February 2008, 18:03
Peter, I think the Kobe beef cattle are fed beer soaked grain, not milk, but could be wrong. I suppose they do get milk until they reach the age when they can legally enter Motomachi sleazy bars.

Was there a mission in Tanjong Priok? They sure had a lot of competition!

I've mentioned it before somewhere, but for me Singapore is always pig's liver in ginger - yum yum.

John T.

I was often "on a mission" in Tanjong Priok. . . .

sylvesterheng
1st March 2008, 06:28
Hi Peter, Did u ever sail with me as middy. Cheers, Sylvester Heng

sylvesterheng
1st March 2008, 06:33
Hi all ex blueys or Straits in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. Please get in touch as I am hoping to organise a gathering at nice place near TP (Toby's Paradise or Tanjong Pager same - same) . Cheers, Sylvester

Peter Martin
1st March 2008, 18:51
Hi Peter, Did u ever sail with me as middy. Cheers, Sylvester Heng

Indeed, Sylvester, I'm sure we did. Your name is very familiar but we could have just been at Aulis at the same time! MY Blueys included; Calchas X2, Menestheus, Memnon (Blue Sea Line). Also a great many ED's. Aureol X 3, Fulani, Bhamo, Dunkwa etc etc etc.

AncientBrit
1st March 2008, 21:16
Oriental food will forever remind me of Nee Soon village and the stalls set up in the middle of the road junction at the centre of the village.
After being dropped off by taxi from Sembawang Base, and having had a drink in every bar down one side of the road, it was time to eat. Real food, the way the locals ate it, cheap and absolutely delicious. If you asked for chop-sticks, if Mamma didnt know or remember you (and what a predigious memory that dear woman had, she could remember most of the fleet by name!) one of the daughters would bring you a plate containing two hard peas and a tea cup, together with a set of chop-sticks. If you could successfully lift the peas, one at a time and place them in the cup, Mamma would smile at you, ask your name, make an announcement in Chinese to all present. The staff would applaud and from that moment on, you never had to ask for chop-sticks again. At subsequent visits Mamma and the staff always addressed you by name and you felt very special.
If you turned up as Mamma and some of the family were about to eat and were invited to sit and join them it was really something special. Simple folk, but good and honest people. I am honoured to have shared their table on occassion. Special! Very special!
Somehow, after a meal and the hot towels that followed, all one wanted to do was take a cab back to the dockyard and hit the sack. Never did I get to try drinking my way down the other side of the street. Which was always our planned intention!
Sadly, I see that Nee Soon as such, is no more, its all part of a modern development.
I'm glad I was there before "progress".
AB