Locked out

michaelF
27th February 2008, 14:47
Hi all ,
Last night i was locked out from the site because someone attempted to use my username with the wrong password 5 times.

Normally i remain logged in by using the remember me function ,but this had been cleared because earlier i had done a disk cleanup .

My question is , does the site suffer a lot from this type of activity ?

Just nosey really .

mike

Bruce Carson
27th February 2008, 15:09
Haven't heard of it up till now, Mike.
I'm wondering if there was an obscure connection between the cleanup and the lock out. I know that sounds farfetched, but gremlins are gremlins.
I s'pose we'll never know.

Bruce

JohnMac068
27th February 2008, 15:15
Hi all ,
Last night i was locked out from the site because someone attempted to use my username with the wrong password 5 times.

Normally i remain logged in by using the remember me function ,but this had been cleared because earlier i had done a disk cleanup .

My question is , does the site suffer a lot from this type of activity ?

Just nosey really .

mike

It happens to me with monotonous regularity, normally after one attempt, it tells me that I have tried five times, I have complained to Admin. they reckon that it is something to do with the fact that AOL is my ISP !!(Cloud)

andysk
27th February 2008, 15:21
I've heard so much over the past 5-10 years about AOL, pretty well all negative, so I wouldn't touch them for anything at all 'computer / internet' with a barge pole!

Steve
27th February 2008, 15:29
AOL is IMOHO the worst internet company on the planet, the amount of members that Mail admin with problems, ranging from log in, to not receiving the final part of the registration is alarming, they automatically screen e mails and delete anything they want to without notice and without even giving the client a notification ,three of there own management/board resigned in 2006 over there "nanny" tactics. Michael F there are a few reasons why you struggled to log on but it is not our software.

WANT SOME FREE ADVICE

DUMP IT ITS RUBBISH !!!

DICK SLOAN
27th February 2008, 17:09
I can't understand why anyone would need to use your name, when its a free site to join, there is no motive!

michaelF
27th February 2008, 17:30
Thank you all for the replies ,

I have complained to Admin. they reckon that it is something to do with the fact that AOL is my ISP !!

aol is my isp

I can't understand why anyone would need to use your name, when its a free site to join, their is no motive!

exactly , no motive

I've heard so much over the past 5-10 years about AOL, pretty well all negative, so I wouldn't touch them for anything at all 'computer / internet' with a barge pole!

You have to be quite computer savvy if you use their browser , its not the best . But it only costs 9.99 a month

Michael F there are afew reasons why you struggled to log on but it is not our software.

I know that , i think the answer is with aol

mike

benjidog
27th February 2008, 21:21
Mike,

There are loads of cheap broadband services now so you are spoilt for choice.

Try Googling "compare broadband" selecting UK only and you will get plenty of comparison sites.

Regards,

Brian

michaelF
27th February 2008, 21:56
There are loads of cheap broadband services now so you are spoilt for choice

Brian ,
I am happy with AOL , have been with them years , others before that.
Some customers are having problems since January mainly as they are migrating their servers over to the CPW ones.
I think you would be hard pushed to beat 9.99 a month for a stable fast download and upload speed , and yes unlimited amount , I know new members have 10/40 GB limits , and yes there is a FUP policy .
My pc is on constantly , they havnt as yet applied any capping / throttling to my connection as i dont use p2p but i do exceed the new members limit , and i have never had any serious problems with them , as i said before you have to be a bit pc savvy if using their software as its not the best .

As CPW are an unknown to me i will see how it goes ,and as you say there are lots of other isp's

mike

King Ratt
28th February 2008, 09:42
Have been with AOL for 10 years and few probs. The ones I had were solved over the phone with AOL fairly quickly (Irish speaking techs so no language problems). If it aint broke .......

randcmackenzie
28th February 2008, 17:43
I occasionally have the same trouble, and I'm pretty sure I don't mistype. Yes, I'm with AOL, but otherwise I find them OK.

michaelF
28th February 2008, 17:50
I occasionally have the same trouble, and I'm pretty sure I don't mistype. Yes, I'm with AOL, but otherwise I find them OK.

It's only happened twice to me , but its looking likely to be an AOL / CPW thingy (thats the technical term i believe )

mike

Ron Stringer
28th February 2008, 20:50
I'm also on AOL and had the same problem myself on Tuesday night and gave up. It was OK the following morning. Had similar problems last year but thought it had gone away.

JoyceW
28th February 2008, 22:28
I've had problems on and off logging on to this site, too, for the same apparent reasons as Mike and others and some nights have had to give up. I'm with AOL too and have been perfectly happy with the service for over 5 years. Sorry to be so stupid, but why would being with AOL be the problem? (Not a computer whiz, I'm afraid.) I never have any problem logging on to various other sites. Seems odd that only this one is troublesome. Can anyone explain in laymen's terms, please? Thanks.

Joyce

michaelF
28th February 2008, 22:59
Joyce ,
for the last couple of months since aol started changing over to the cpw servers people have reported , on the aol message boards , being unable to log on to previously known good sites .The work around was using IE instead of aol's browser , but even this did not work for some of those affected .

mike
ps or try firefox

JoyceW
1st March 2008, 21:45
Mike, Have just found your reply. Sorry for delay in acknowledging and thanks very much for taking the time. Have used computers happily for years but still have trouble understanding some aspects of how it all functions. I think my worry was, and maybe some of the other users here, that someone (or some computer) within or outwith this site was trying to work out my password by some devious keylogging device then get into other more secure sites I use. As you can see, I trust no one nowadays. Sad isn't it? But I use a very good firewall which logs all attempts to gain access by other computers. People would be amazed at how many attempted 'pings' there are each day within just an hour or two. It runs into hundreds. Thanks again.

Joyce

michaelF
1st March 2008, 23:27
I think my worry was, and maybe some of the other users here, that someone (or some computer) within or outwith this site was trying to work out my password by some devious keylogging device then get into other more secure sites I use.

JoyceW,
Thats a good enough reason to never use the same username or password on different sites.

People would be amazed at how many attempted 'pings' there are each day within just an hour or two. It runs into hundreds. Thanks again.

Ive just checked my firewall statistics ,wait for it 721,000 but only 9 of these are high rated .I wouldnt worry too much about the pings .

mike

Andy
2nd March 2008, 12:05
I think my worry was, and maybe some of the other users here, that someone (or some computer) within or outwith this site was trying to work out my password by some devious keylogging device then get into other more secure sites I use.

Joyce

As said before, 100% of cases where it appears someone has been trying to log-in as you turn out to be the member themselves... the i.p. address of the 'phantom' always matches that of the legitimate member. Besides, there is absolutely nothing to be gained from accessing someones account on Vb sites such as SN as there is no useful info held.

If you are on AOL, at least do yourself the favour of ditching their own browser.

cheers,
Andy

mcgurggle
2nd March 2008, 14:33
I was told by a software 'geek' who works for a large software co. (Northbrook Technology) that the original AOL browser was written around a known virus ! The reason that the voices of "America On Line" are Irish on the phone, is because the don't pay a lot of taxes to the USA, & they don't have to pay VAT to UK (where MOST of their customers are) as they are in Dublin. (where they get massive tax relief)
NOW do you think that a company with that sort of reasoning is going to tell you the TRUTH when you ask them questions ??(Cloud)
McG