Playing with PhotoShop 7.0

cambria49
13th May 2005, 09:12
Okay folks, as mentioned in a previous post here is my latest attempt at photo improvement through PhotoShop. Am I learning Tony?

I sent these this comparison to a friend who dedicates much time to photo restoration and he came back with the following comment;

"Immediately I would suggest a number of fixes.

If you View Actual Pixels, then magnify the image one stage fuurther you begin to see all the blemishes.

They ought to be removed one at a time either by cloning over them with the Rubber Stamp tool set as small as possible or in the latest version of Elements 3 there is a Proximity Match tool which finds the right adjacent pixels to cover the blemish.

Then I would sharpen the image using the Usharp Mask a little. Experiment with the sliders with the Amount value no greater than 200, Radius no greater than 2, Threshold 0.

The lighting is not too good in the restored image either mainly because the sky is so bright you cannot see that the hull is blue. I would try to lighten the shadow areas and darken the highlights just a little. In Photoshop Elements 3 there is a new tool that offers that facility Adjust Lighting, Shadows/Highlights which is very useful for our style of photos although you need much less adjustment than the default values.

Try these for starters. Removing the blemishes one by one will take ages, but the results are really spectacular."

I don't think I've heard of Elements 3. Anyone here have any experience with it?

Rgds

Justin

cambria49
13th May 2005, 09:53
Thanks for that Ron!

ruud
8th August 2005, 09:22
Ahoy,
This is what I've done with ACDSee, very easy in use.
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4610/matheson13a9ez.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=matheson13a9ez.jpg)
What do you think about the result?

xmastree
18th August 2005, 07:20
I like to use XNView (http://www.xnview.com)
As well as correcting colour balance, it has a rather good focus enhancing filter. Sometines the results aren't so good, but look at the attached and compare with the one from the original post.

It can also generate web pages wuth thumbnails in a few clicks.

xmastree
19th August 2005, 10:07
XNView is actually a very useful application. Sits somewhere between ADCSee and Photoshop in terms of functionality. It's a viewer, similar to ADCSee, but with some simple but effective editing tools. Like redeye correction.

Best thing is, it's completely free (Applause) and it's available for linux for the geeks among us.

Get it here (http://xnview.com)

(I ought to add that I'm in not connected with them in any way)

thunderd
19th August 2005, 10:48
Hi xmastree, Ive just downloaded XNview and had a play with it. I have so far been unable to find any retouching capability, is that right?

xmastree
19th August 2005, 16:44
Retouching, as in repairing? No, I don't think it can do that. It just does the basic cropping, resizing, colour balance, sharpen/blur and a few other things. But if you want to do serious retouching, you need more.

If you want to do if for free, you need the Gimp, (http://www.gimp.org) but it's not the easiest program to use.

xmastree
20th August 2005, 07:25
"well I like to have my photos just like myself, old, wrinkled, tattered and battered"Isn't there a Photoshop filter for just that effect? (==D)

thunderd
20th August 2005, 07:33
Hello there Derek, What would you want with an editing program?

Do you remember saying this "well I like to have my photos just like myself, old, wrinkled, tattered and battered"

What a great memory you have Zelda. Once again my mouth may have been ahead of my tiny brain and I should have qualified what I said, but I did promise Ron I would persevere so one day I will post a respectable photo and get a little star stamped on my wrist instead of getting it slapped???

James Slater
22nd August 2005, 09:05
Have you tried Picasa2? It is a photo editing download from Google, it's free and the best I have come across.

Best regards to all. James

Bruce Carson
22nd August 2005, 13:08
Another free download is Oriens Solution. I've used it for a number of years and it does a good job.

http://www.downloadjunction.com/company/store/5476/

Bruce C.

insulaner
24th August 2005, 07:04
Can someone tell me how to add an attchment onto this message please?
I thought I'd have a try at improving the same photo. I used PhotoFiltre which is an excellent programme. And also Filter SIM. This is a set of free filters which emulate the Kodak Wratten series familiar to anyone using B/W film. I used the Kodak Wratten 85 Filter. This reduced the amount of blue, without the tendency to increase yellow. I've recently started using the GIMP, an excellent application, but I'm at an early stage with that. There's a lot of learning to be done with The GIMP.For more info regarding PhotoFiltre and Filter SIM, here's the addresses:
www.photofiltre.com
www.mediachance.com
Both are free for non commercial use
Thanks for the advice
here's my revamped version- could not totally remove the blue cast

non descript
29th September 2006, 14:49
Having found the right anti-virus product (see the other thread) and now reloading my new PC from scratch, I need to install some kind of Digital Photo Editor, if I declare a total lack of experience, may I trouble Members to kindly give me some guidance as to what I should be looking for if I need so be able to cut, crop, edit and at least straighten the horizon on my photos. Other things might come to mind and I would welcome all input.

K urgess
29th September 2006, 15:20
Tonga
It's really a matter of personal preference. Some do things you like but not all the things you like so you start using different progs for different things.
Benjidog swears by Photoshop and I swear by Photopaint. Others will say Picassa is the best.
For straightening pics the best and easiest I've found is ACDSee 7.0. All you do is pick the rotate tool and then pick a line you want to be vertical or horizontal and it does it automatically. Previously I had to guess at the angle and have a few goes at getting it right.
Photopaint allows me to cut and paste a little bit of a pic to cover a blemish. It also allows me pick a colour from a pic and paint using that exact same colour to cover blemishes and hairs etc. Most halfway decent progs will do the same but I'm used to this one.
Now sit back and wait for the rush of "Hey, this one's better than that!" (==D)

non descript
29th September 2006, 15:29
Fubar,

Thanks that's very helpful. Yes, just like the AV thread, it is a matter of personal preference - but on that one, I do wish someone had told me a year back that McAfee was pure undiluted crap..., hence I welcome all comments on this subject.

Kind regards
Tonga

newda898
29th September 2006, 15:43
Personally I like photoshop, purely because of the shear amount that you can do with it. but for what you have said Tonga, just those simple functions, I think you'd do well with either Picasa, or Microsoft Image Suite which might be more user friendly than photoshop.

benjidog
29th September 2006, 15:45
Fubar is right - everyone has their favourite.

You can do virtually anything with Photoshop but it is not very user-friendly. The Help screens that come with it were probably written by a illiterate sadist and converted into English from Chinese via Swedish. But it is the choice of the professionals (of which I am not one!).

Others products are definitely easier to use but generally lack the range of features of Photshop. Most digital cameras and scanners come with pretty good free sofware that does the basic stuff so that may enough for your purposes. It really depends how much time you want to spend on this.

Whatever you pick, be prepared to persevere and experiment with the software and make sure you keep the original files in case you screw up - you can do this in spectacular fashion if you are not careful - especially using filters.

Regards,

Brian

treeve
29th September 2006, 18:02
To add my twopenn'eth .. I use Paint Shop Pro 7,
never a problem, very versatile, very user friendly.
I spoke to a camera shop owner ( and film and print processor ).
He swears by Paint Shop Pro 7 ( it has the best thumbnail options )
and he uses Irfan View for various other operations such
as batch processing and slideshows, etc...

non descript
29th September 2006, 19:59
Thanks Treeve and I can assure you it is more than twopenn'eth - more like Ten Shillings, and I am grateful for all the input.
(A)

Phill
29th September 2006, 21:01
Tonga,,,take a stroll to the magazine shops (Smiths) your bound to find at least one program on a disc, normaly sold for less than a fiver,,,,,,,of which I obtained ACD See of which is very useful, I also use it to file my photos,,,,,,

at present I think seriff has got a disc on the front covers of mags, also worth a look........ both very easy to use

Phill

non descript
29th September 2006, 22:06
Thanks Phil, appreciated; I'll give that a go whilst I ponder of which way to move.

treeve
29th September 2006, 23:29
I paid an arm and a leg for ALL the Serif programs and within
a couple of weeks I had uninstalled the lot. Not enough facilities
on some of the programs and those that had a lot of options
needed too much handling with no guidance as to how to use them.
Very good for Publishing, I have to say, if you have the patience,
but I felt they were not for photo handling. That is why I settled
for Paint Shop Pro - piece of cake. One man's meat, as they say,
is another man's poison. Chaque'un son gout, or whatever.

non descript
30th September 2006, 07:51
And there on this site, before my very eyes is an advertisement for "Free Download" from Picasa...

http://picasa.google.co.uk/

I remain terrified of anything that is "free" and on the net... but more than happy to be told I am wrong, and this is OK....

macjack
30th September 2006, 09:07
I use Irfanview, excellent - free, simple, and does the lot,worth giving it a whirl.
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2129006/irfan-view-92.
Regards,
Mac.

K urgess
30th September 2006, 11:13
"Free" stuff is usually quite good enough especially with the Google name attached. As long as you can put up with banner ads and constant reminders to upgrade to the latest all singing all dancing version.
Magazine disks are OK but the "full" versions of software are usually the last version before the mega upgrade to a later version. Accompanied by all the usual upgrade offers. I subscribe to Computer Shopper and refuse to upgrade to the DVD version. Mainly because, after a quick glance, the CD is dumped in a pile on my desk. Currently standing about 6 inches high and in need of some shredding soon. Or turning into bird scarers!
Photoshop is very nice but be prepared to part with heavy money. I think it was originally designed for Apple Macs and the interface shows it. Not quite got the windows polish of other paint programmes.
I got my Corel suite from eBay. Full box with manuals and everything (version 10) for a tenner plus postage. So there are probably a lot of other offers on there.
Being a skinflint (Yorkshire upbringing) I normally wait until a new version of something comes out and then buy the outgoing version cheap.
I've used Paint Shop Pro in the past and found it very good. It was one of the first to come free with magazines and did quite a bit for a freebie.
Serif constantly get best reviews for publishing software and photo manipulation. Mainly because they're cheaper than Adobe or Corel. I've got about three different versions of Photoplus and Pageplus which I use for different features. Photoplus is very good for animated gifs and the latest version of Pageplus does all the pdf work you'd ever need. They're cheap and the interface is not as smooth as some others but they work well. Because I've been using Serif for so long I get constant offers of the software dirt cheap as they bring out a newer version. Can't grumble at a tenner and free postage for some of their titles.

So now you're probably totally confused! We all have a history of favourite software and we usually stop using it because they change something we use and make it unuseable in the latest version.

Photo manipulation software is like a favourite pair of shoes. Eventually they wear out and you have to get a better pair. So whatever you get you'll decide after a bit that "I wish I could do that" and buy something else purely for that. And so it goes.... on.... and.... on.....
(==D)

treeve
30th September 2006, 15:16
Further to what I said about my having uninstalled the Serif suite,
I have three CDs
1) Page Plus 8
2) Design CD
and
3) Page Plus 5, Photo Plus 5, Drawplus 3, Graphics Plus, 3DPlus

I also have Corel Art Dabbler on CD.

These were not mag freebies, they are orignals.
It just seems silly having them here sitting unused.

If anyone would like these, let me know.
No cost.
If there is a landslide request, I'll have to throw a dice.
Name your preference out of the three.

treeve
30th September 2006, 15:17
Correction to numerical offer,
name your preference out of the FOUR.

non descript
30th September 2006, 17:35
"Free" stuff is usually quite good enough especially with the Google name attached. As long as you can put up with banner ads and constant reminders to upgrade to the latest all singing all dancing version.
Magazine disks are OK but the "full" versions of software are usually the last version before the mega upgrade to a later version. (==D)

Fubar,

Good man; thank you for that very sound advice. I am slowly getting a picture of what it's all about - before long I will be able to edit it.
(==D)

stein
10th August 2007, 16:57
Gimp is free, (totally free, no ads no nothing), some says it does what Photoshop does. (Those who has forked out for Photoshop and never tried Gimp, does not). If it does not, maybe it's a good idea to explore the functions there for a while, before laying out any money. I have explored it lately after being presented by a magical restoration of a photo posted in the gallery by dear Ruud. The result of that exploration is mainly the conviction that Ruud was pulling my leg: he must posess a better copy of the photo. (Ship named Palacio). But I also learned to use a few retouching tools, and found a filter called selective gaussian blur, which only blurs outside of hard contrast details, a simple remedy that can be quite useful.
Gimp is not easy (I've got a long way to go before mastering it). Irfanview, also free, is, and does a good job of sharpening, upping/lowering contrast, colour depth, saturation etc. It also is good for arranging pictures on a print out, which I use it for a lot. (The plug in filters is not worth the effort of fishing them out though). Levelling and cropping I do on my HP scanner program; the one on Irfanview is by numbered degrees, a bit of a hassle if much rotation is to be done on many pictures. I see Marconi Kris is also demanding ease here, and willing to switch to one particular program just for it. Picasa is great for finding and watching your pictures, much better than the five, six others I've tried: I can't see that it's any good in other fields. Regards, Stein.

Geord
5th June 2011, 03:51
if you want a freebie go for Picassa, it's not too bad, but if you want a good editor
try photoshop elements 9 at A$150 approx it will do all of what you want, and
there are magazines that cover elements 9 that come with free cd's on How to
lessons.

billyboy
5th June 2011, 04:14
I like "XN-View" free download and simple to use.

kewl dude
8th June 2011, 22:00
Released in September 2000:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_release_history

I have Adobe Photo Shop version 6.0

Attached:

Photoshop 6.0 Filter Distort Twirl 100 percent Angle 50.jpg (63.6 KB)

Photoshop 6.0 Image Rotate Canvas Flip Horizontal Going the other way.jpg (64.7 KB)

Photoshop 6.0 Filter Sketch Chalk and Charcoal 50 percent Charcoal 2 Chalk 6 Stroke 1.jpg (79.0 KB)

You need to select the foreground and background colors for the above sketch

Photoshop 6.0 Filter Artistic Watercolor 100 percent Brush 8 Shadow 0 Texture 1.jpg (81.3 KB)

Greg Hayden

eldersuk
12th June 2011, 00:33
Over the years I have found the various editions of Serif PhotoPlus to be good value.
It can do most of what Photoshop can do and is quite a bit cheaper. Recommended.

Derek

peteloud
30th January 2012, 19:43
Personally, I think that you over sharpened it.
This is my very quick edit with Photoshop CS5. I didn't attempt to remove dust etc.

jamesgpobog
26th April 2012, 19:18
And to me, it needs a slight bump in saturation.