Small model of small ship

Shipbuilder
29th February 2008, 19:25
Construction cost, virtually nothing. Tools used, hardly any.
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/4845/flyingfoam8ciinhandmediti9.jpg

billmaca
29th February 2008, 20:02
Very well made schooner , making so small I sometimes think is harder than the bigger models , don't think I would have the eyesight to do anything as small and accurate as this, you must have very steady hands

Carlos Mariano
29th February 2008, 20:37
Hello Shipbuilder
Precious model indeed.
I like it very much,no doubt is a very hard work

Regards
C.Mariano

Shipbuilder
29th February 2008, 20:52
Thank you for comments. It did not take very long. All the masts, spars & rigging (including ratlines) are metal - thin brass & copper rod & fine copper wire.
Bob

liteflight
3rd March 2008, 13:38
Shipbuilder,

Beautiful original, beautiful model.
Thank you for sharing it - could you please tell us what you make the sails of - they look clean but well-set
Would you mind if I posted the picture in the Footy forum to encourage the footy schooner brigade?
andrew

Shipbuilder
3rd March 2008, 19:00
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for comments. Post it where you wish. The sails are nothing more than white airmail paper with grey seams printed on them using the computer (Grey so they are not too prominent). The wind-filled shape, maybe not all that evident here, was obtained by moulding them round an ostrich egg (purchased at OK Bazaars, Cape Town many years ago) whilst wet.
Bob

liteflight
4th March 2008, 07:43
Thank you , Bob

Thanks also for helping me with an excellent excuse for not making realistic sails:

"I Couldn't make a good set of sails, I havn't got an ostrich egg"

It has a plausible ring to it!
andrew

Shipbuilder
4th March 2008, 12:38
Hi Andrew,
Before I got the egg, I used a smooth plastic ball. The only reason I prefer the egg is that I get a number of curves to choose from between the pointed end & the blunt end. Place wet sail on egg or ball, cover with large handkerchief & hold it tight at back & then play heat gun onto it until dry. Trim to size & you have a very well-formed sail.
Bob