lists of officers

soapy
1st March 2008, 00:26
hi everyone,sailed with bank line for ten years between 1966-1976, on 12 different ships, but can only remember a small number of guys i sailed with.
is there anywhere i can obtain this info from?

kwg
9th March 2008, 22:47
Soapy...noticed the crew lists of Bank Line for 1980 posted a couple of days ago in the Gallery...I think the title was simply 'crewlist'...hope it helps

soapy
11th March 2008, 00:25
hi KWG,
just been on the gallery, had a look at those lists, i left them in 1976, but there are some names i recognize.
thanks for the info
soapy

robparsons101
11th March 2008, 01:09
I posted the lists a couple of days ago, I have some more that I will put on the gallery in the next couple of days. I also have about half a dozen bank line mags that I will scan some articles from and post them.

K urgess
11th March 2008, 01:21
I recognised a couple of names from your list, Rob.
Dave Barlow who I sailed with on the Sprucebank when he was 3rd mate in 71/72 and Tony Horsfall who I sailed with on the Weirbank in 69/70/71.
Dave was a good friend and I saw him last in 81 when he was in Hull on a Bankboat.
Haven't seen Tony since the good ol' Weirbank days though.
Cheers
Kris

robparsons101
11th March 2008, 02:35
I have just posted another list for dec 1981, I hope someone finds it usefull, i'll put the rest on presently

sean
2nd December 2008, 16:28
very interesting regards crew list Rob saw myself on 1980 list on Clydebank. Had forgotten some of the names.Brings back some wonderful memories of that trip on SOPAC service.You mention scan of Bankline mags. suppose you dont have one for around 1976/77 which contained an article ref Elmbank towing Taiwanese fishing vessel at reunion. I have long lost this.

Glyn C Winskill
23rd March 2009, 17:51
Aha! I remember Bank Line always spelt my name wrong. I was on the Riverbank (Dec 81) and there is no 'd' in Winskill. Bought back some memories though. Still friends with the Hudsons, now running a succesful top end B&B in North Yorkshire. Great days.

Colin419
21st January 2010, 09:24
Goodness ME! There I am on the Ivybank! 1st trip cadet!

RayL
28th January 2010, 12:44
I recently came across a scrap of paper on which I had noted the names of the officers who were serving on the Speybank when I was there in 1966-67.

D. Vincent, Mate (Dave, I think).
B. Watson, 2/O (Brian, I think).
John W. Robertson 3/O.

Ben Masey
28th January 2010, 19:04
very interesting regards crew list Rob saw myself on 1980 list on Clydebank. Had forgotten some of the names.Brings back some wonderful memories of that trip on SOPAC service.You mention scan of Bankline mags. suppose you dont have one for around 1976/77 which contained an article ref Elmbank towing Taiwanese fishing vessel at reunion. I have long lost this.

Hi,
What do you want to know about this incident? I was master of Elmbank at this time.
Regards,
Ben Masey

sean
6th April 2010, 12:28
Hi Ben
and I was the Radio Officer!had lost bankline mag with that story and was only seeing if Dave(2nd Lecky then) had a copy he could scan this item. Anyhow good to hear from you
Sean

jimthehat
6th April 2010, 13:10
I have just posted another list for dec 1981, I hope someone finds it usefull, i'll put the rest on presently

dont suppose you have lists for us oldies that faithfully served the company during the 50s and up to the mid 60s/

jim

Alan Rawlinson
6th April 2010, 16:25
Have a look under ' bankline magazine ' where I have posted lists and ship movements. ( Looks like the dates may be duplicates - early 80's) If anyone has lists from the 50's and 60's I would love to see them as also by Jim.

P.S. We are still alive - just!

Ben Masey
6th April 2010, 18:03

Hi,
I was master of the Elmbank when towing Fushian No,1 to Reunion.Anything I can help you with?
Regards,
Ben Masey

boatlarnie
8th April 2010, 13:54
I recently came across a scrap of paper on which I had noted the names of the officers who were serving on the Speybank when I was there in 1966-67.

D. Vincent, Mate (Dave, I think).
B. Watson, 2/O (Brian, I think).
John W. Robertson 3/O.

Hullo RayL,
I am pretty sure Dave Vincent will pick up your mention of the Speybank for I communicate with him via e-mail and Skype and he did mention he logged into SN now and again. He spends 6 months of the year in OZ, 6 months in the UK which he has just recently returned to although I suspect he is travelling around the country either with the choir or watching his ice-hockey team. Can send you contact info. should you wish.

Regards,
Alan Smaldon

RayL
9th April 2010, 13:47
Thanks, Alan. Would be grateful if you can send Dave Vincent my regards when you are next in touch with him. I recall that he loved South Africa when I knew him so it comes as a slight surprise to me that he didn't choose there to retire to. I suppose he's unlikely to remember me because we only sailed together those five months and it is now so very long ago. I came ashore after that voyage and did not return to sea.

david harrod
12th April 2010, 12:38
I have Bank Line magazines as follows: summer, autumn winter 75, winter 76/77, march and september 78 and april and october 79; I can scan them and post them if anyone is interested...

RayL
12th April 2010, 20:52
Alan - re my message of three days ago. I've done the sums and have worked out that if the 5mths voyage = 1, then the time that has passed since then (i.e. 44 yrs) = 105. It'll therefore be interesting to see whether Dave Vincent has any idea who the hell I am!

boatlarnie
13th April 2010, 11:45
Alan - re my message of three days ago. I've done the sums and have worked out that if the 5mths voyage = 1, then the time that has passed since then (i.e. 44 yrs) = 105. It'll therefore be interesting to see whether Dave Vincent has any idea who the hell I am!

Okay Ray,
Next time I e-mail him I will mention your name although I only know you as RayL; maybe you can e-mail me your full name and your rank when you were on the Spey.
Dave actually has a very good memory and I would not be at all surprised if he does recollect you.
I recently had some slides taken in the 60's transferred to CD, surprisingly I remembered most of the guys when I went through them. Very interesting as there were pictures of the Cederbank, Maplebank and Oakbank officers from around 1963 through to 1968.

Regards,
Alan

McMorine
14th April 2010, 19:37
Yes Dave, I would be very interested in the crew lists for those years.

McMorine
16th April 2010, 15:32
I have Bank Line magazines as follows: summer, autumn winter 75, winter 76/77, march and september 78 and april and october 79; I can scan them and post them if anyone is interested...

Very interested Dave if you can scan them on site.

david harrod
17th April 2010, 08:41
Very interested Dave if you can scan them on site.
Ok, I will let you know when I have them scanned and someone can tell me how to upload them...

K urgess
17th April 2010, 14:22
Ok, I will let you know when I have them scanned and someone can tell me how to upload them...
Use the post reply button rather than the quick reply window and look for manage attachments below the text window.
The images need to be the correct size for uploading.
Regards

david harrod
19th April 2010, 15:14
Here are the first five of the crew lists I have; some more to come-

david harrod
19th April 2010, 15:18
Two more...one to go if I can get it to upload...

Charlie Stitt
19th April 2010, 22:12
When did The Bank Line change, from having Apprentices, to having Cadets ? Did Cadets sign Indentures?

McMorine
20th April 2010, 11:58
Two more...one to go if I can get it to upload...

Many thanks for the crew lists Dave, brought back a few names to the old memory bank.

Winebuff
20th April 2010, 17:38
When did The Bank Line change, from having Apprentices, to having Cadets ? Did Cadets sign Indentures?

In 1974 I was enrolled as a Cadet but still had to sign the 4 year indentures. Still got the signed off copy in the filling cabinet upstairs. Office kept a copy so did my parents as I was only 17 when I joined.

Peter Smith
Bank Line 74-84

IBlenkinsopp
20th April 2010, 17:52
Definitely Cadet in 1974, so therefore not properly trained, signed a bit of green cardboard which I don't have any more. Sandy Powell in charge cadets with side show Bob Reid, also Sandy Powell edited the magazine I believe, I hope he is well he was a grest help to me.

Eddie Bl.

Winebuff
20th April 2010, 18:00
Definitely Cadet in 1974, so therefore not properly trained, signed a bit of green cardboard which I don't have any more. Sandy Powell in charge cadets with side show Bob Reid, also Sandy Powell edited the magazine I believe, I hope he is well he was a grest help to me.

Eddie Bl.

Remember both Sandy and Bob used to come up to see us in Hull every term or so. Frightened the life out of them when i told them i was getting married and wanted to move out of my company digs in Bransholme. They were not too keen I recall but as I am still with the girl i think it was the right call.

Peter Smith
74-84

rabaul
20th April 2010, 19:55
Peter

Company digs in Bransholme - what was wrong with Newland Homes - or Cottingham Road?

The Gardeners Arms - Hull Brewery Bitter- change out of a 5 - followed by Sausage Chips and currie sauce from Sorrentoes opposite using the change ...

stay well

Johnnietwocoats
21st April 2010, 01:14
Reading over the 75 Officers lists I see A.E. Scales as a Master. Can anyone fill me in on Captain Scales? I know he was Acting 3rd Officer on the Fleetbank in 62....TC

Alan Rawlinson
21st April 2010, 08:39
Reading over the 75 Officers lists I see A.E. Scales as a Master. Can anyone fill me in on Captain Scales? I know he was Acting 3rd Officer on the Fleetbank in 62....TC

Believe we had him as first trip apprentice on the CRESTBANK way back in 1959!

david harrod
21st April 2010, 11:02
Believe we had him as first trip apprentice on the CRESTBANK way back in 1959!

I coasted with him as relieving 2/o on his first command (Inverbank, I think); we had a little argument with a fishing boat in Immingham Dock before we sailed; we were still tied alongside at the time and i recall him, the mate and I watching this trawler come through the lock, across the dock and pop a hole into no 5! my memory might be a little dim; it was along time ago!

Alistair Macnab
21st April 2010, 17:59
JohnnyTwoCoats.......
Albert Scales was indeed 2M on the "Fleetbank" and I sailed with him too as Master on the same ship in 1967. Albert eventually went into the London office as Superintendent and he is presently a Trustee of the Bank Line Association. I last saw him at a Bank Line reunion in 2004 (I think it was!) He used to be a rotund gentleman but after a bout of bad health, he had slimmed down. Whatever the illness, he got over it and last I heard, he was hail and hearty.

Johnnietwocoats
21st April 2010, 18:19
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/181363/title/from-leftjohn-pye-se/cat/500

Here is a photo I poated a while ago of yours truly and A. Scales.....Fleetbank

yarddog
28th June 2010, 19:19
i was in bankline from 67' to 73' id appreciate if anyone has the crew lists for those year.
my memory is quite hazy.
i remember sailing with john sturgess, east coast of africa.
thanks

jack

Bill Aitken
2nd July 2010, 00:02
hi everyone,sailed with bank line for ten years between 1966-1976, on 12 different ships, but can only remember a small number of guys i sailed with.
is there anywhere i can obtain this info from?
On Yewbank 72-73
We had a chinese chippy. Any one remember the guy ? He used shout "Fxxx Oxx" to the bridge many times and was very partial to brandy. (Pint)A real character.
I think the mate was called Watson.
I know my cabin mate app was a guy called Roger Godfrey.
Cabin fever set in after 9 months in a shared cabin only to find out we were to sailing together again on Speybank again in a shared cabin. Great guy.
Senior app was from liverpool.
5th Engineer was from Nairn inScotland.
6th Engineer was from Glasgow.
Sparky was from Ireland.
I seemed to get the name "shorty" (5' 6")