Looking for Jim Kinnear

Alex.chisholm
1st March 2008, 09:48
I am looking for Jim Kinnear (his name is actually Lyn). Jim and I were cadets on the NZS ship Otaio. He had ginger hair (he was sometimes called 'Ginger').

I last saw Jim as he was shipping out of London late 1965 as Third Mate on a Ben Line ship. The mate looked similar and also had ginger hair, as I recall.

Anyone have any news about Jim?

Thanks,

Alex. Chisholm.

john fraser
1st March 2008, 18:35
I sailed with Jim( Lyn) Kinnear around that time on the Bencleuch,I actualy think it was 66.Think he came from Kirkcaldy As you mentioned the mate also had red hair,that would have been Eddy Gibb. Lyn always told us over a beer that he was leaving to become an airline pilot. If he ever did I don,t know,but I never heard about him again.

EBenarty
1st March 2008, 21:58
I sailed with Jim( Lyn) Kinnear around that time on the Bencleuch,I actualy think it was 66.Think he came from Kirkcaldy As you mentioned the mate also had red hair,that would have been Eddy Gibb. Lyn always told us over a beer that he was leaving to become an airline pilot. If he ever did I don,t know,but I never heard about him again.

I believe Eddie passed away recently

Alex.chisholm
2nd March 2008, 00:36
John,

Many thanks. This is the person I am looking for!

I recall Jim came from Dundee. Although a few cadets on the Otaio used to talk about becoming airline pilots (and one was working towards his private pilot's licence) Jim never metioned such a plan. Maybe his circumstances changed. I seem to remember his father (also called Lyn)had been at sea as an engineer - maybe with the Ben Line. But, he was ashore by the time I met Jim.

Do you remember how long you sailed with him? Was it just one trip in 1966? And was he third mate?

Regards,

Alex. Chisholm.

john fraser
2nd March 2008, 16:44
Hi Alex.
It was the trip after the seamans dispute in 66. He was there previous but only did the one trip with me on board the Bencleuch.Don,t know if he stayed in Ben Line after that. He was sailing as 3rd.mate then.

Alex.chisholm
8th March 2008, 09:40
John,

Thanks for your helpful information. I will broaden my search now. But if anyone else knows something, please let me know!

Regards,

Alex. Chisholm.