Coast Station call-signs ....

Moulder
4th March 2008, 16:22
I wonder whether we can go through the alphabet and list a coast station call-sign for each of the 26 letters.

I'll start with A

A9M - Bahrain Radio.

The letter B - anyone?

Steve.
(Thumb)

Roger Bentley
4th March 2008, 16:33
Hankow radio BSN working frequencies 470, 4580, 5295, 8333 A1 A2 H24

BA204259
4th March 2008, 16:40
Havana CLA, M/F and H/F.

K urgess
4th March 2008, 16:58
DZR - Manilla on 17136.8, 13074, 8486, 6446 Weather transmissions.

DAN (Nordeich?) if you insist on MF [=P]

BA204259
4th March 2008, 17:08
Tenerife - EAT

Cadiz - EAC

R58484956
4th March 2008, 17:11
Geraldtown VIN

BA204259
4th March 2008, 17:17
St Lys - FFL

Boulogne - FFB

R58484956
4th March 2008, 17:24
Perth VIP
Hobart VIH
Oban GNE
Humbergate GKZ

Drunkensailor
4th March 2008, 17:55
Here's a strange one, I seem to think Berne Radio was HEB. A landlocked country. How many other landlocked countries had *coast* radio stations ?

Orbitaman
4th March 2008, 18:17
Im surprised no one has come up with this one yet

GKA - Portishead

R651400
4th March 2008, 18:56
Some with a difference:-
ASK Karachi
CUL Lisbon CUB Madeira
DHS Rugen
ELC Monrovia
FGA Algiers
GND Stonehaven
HSA Bangkok
IAB Genoa
JCS Choshi JOS Nagasaki
KPH Bolinas nr San Francisco
LGW Rogaland LFG Haugesund/
M Allocated to RN stations in Scotland, will hazard a guess at MRW Rosyth
NSS Washington
OXZ Lyngby
PPR Rio de Janeiro PKI Djakarta PJC Curacao
Q Nil
RUZU Russian Antartica
SUQ Ismalia STP Port Sudan
TAH Istanbul TXZ Djibouti
UTT Odessa
VWB Bombay
XYR Rangoon
YVG La Guiara Venezuela
WCC Chatham
ZDK Gibraltar

sparkie2182
4th March 2008, 19:17
HEB ........ Berne radio was actually quite a busy station.
i used to have to exchange messages with a continental " route planner" private organisation which was supposed to advise on possible changes in course, to avoid bad weather.
as we were a bulk carrier fully loaded with german steel bound for east coast u.s.a.....making 7 kts on a good day......how we were supposed to dodge weather was a bit of a mystery.
but this contract depended on contacting HEB daily...... and was a bit of a bind....... the messages tended to be just a comprehensive treatise of the weather......(available from gka for nothing......which had to be copied also, of course)....... and they insisted on a qsl daily.
this was a condition of the cargo charterer......apparantly.
the QRY list of HEB was never too long......but was often quite respectable for a mid european, land locked "coast" station.

best regards............

K urgess
4th March 2008, 19:24
IAR - Roma

Moulder
4th March 2008, 19:28
Here's a strange one, I seem to think Berne Radio was HEB. A landlocked country. How many other landlocked countries had *coast* radio stations ?

UAT - Moscow

(Thumb)

gwzm
4th March 2008, 20:33
Here's a few to go on with:-

Calcutta: VWC
Aden: ZNR
Colombo: 4PB
Port Sudan: STP
Aqaba: JYO
Awarua: ZLB
Irirangi: ZLO
Vizakhapatnam: VTO
Malta: GYZ

I'll stir up the old grey cells and see what other "exotic" coast staion call sign I can recall.

John/gwzm

K urgess
4th March 2008, 21:15
HIA - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

BA204259
4th March 2008, 21:35
Barranquilla radio (Colombia) HKJ

K urgess
4th March 2008, 21:50
HKC - Buenaventura, Colombia.

K urgess
4th March 2008, 21:53
HCG - Guayaquil, Ecuador

K urgess
4th March 2008, 21:54
HKA - Cartagena, Colombia

lakercapt
4th March 2008, 23:14
Any "Sparkies" remember this one.
Some said there never was anyone there to hear us calling.

VKT
No cheating by looking up the ACS

K urgess
4th March 2008, 23:49
Must be a longitudenal relative of CWA, Montevideo, who never answered either.

Anyone remember who HNT was up the PGulf?

Trevorw
4th March 2008, 23:55
YVG - Puerto La Cruz Venezuela
NBA - US station Panama Canal
9MG - Penang after Independence
4PB - Colombo after likewise
KOK - Long Beach
UVG - Riga
SUK - Suez Canal, somewhere
SVA - Athens
PCH - Scheveningen
WSB - WSY - hundreds on the US East coast
JCS- Chosi

I could go on for hours!!

R651400
5th March 2008, 04:00
CLA Havana CFH Halifax CTV Monsanto (remember the wx fcast "zephyr winds!")
DZG Manila Globe
EAC Cadiz EAL Las Palmas
FJC Noumea FFU Ushant
HZY Ras Tanurah HZH Jeddah
IQX Trieste
KHK Honolulu KFS Santa Clara
PZB Pernambuco PPF Fortaleza
SUK EL Qoseir Suez SUH Alexandria
VID Darwin VII Thursday Island VIK Cairns VIS Sydney VIM Melbourne VIA Adelaide VIP Perth VIO Broome VHM Coonawara
VPT Malta VPB Colombo VPX Penang VPW Singapore VPS Hong Kong
VWM Madras
WSL Long Island
XSG Shanghai XVS Saigon
ZLW Wellington ZLD Dunedin ZSD Durban ZSC Capetown
3VT Tunis
4XO Tel Aviv
9KK Kuwait
9MG Penang
9VG Singapore

King Ratt
5th March 2008, 09:18
GNV Bahrain Radio

Moulder
5th March 2008, 13:34
GNV Bahrain Radio

Anyone remember the callsign of Muscat - beginning with G before it changed to A4M ?

(Thumb)

lakercapt
5th March 2008, 15:16
VKT was Nauru

Tai Pan
5th March 2008, 15:49
GUJ Jersey (British Rail Station)
SUQ Suez Canal
VTF. Vigazapatam

hawkey01
5th March 2008, 16:24
Well as I have surfaced from deepest Spain I better get back into the action.

Moulder, I believe Muscat was either GNM or GNW.

Also one that all the OBS vessels should remember from the Gulf - 2AI15 which was Das Island, cannot remember what it bacame later.
Another station that never seemed to be there even when anchored off was
5OW - Lagos. Even called him on full power with the Crusader one time on the Aureol while anchored off without a reply.

Another thing with the site I am having some very strange happenings with delays in the type appearing on the screen any ideas why??

Hawkey01(Jester)

K urgess
5th March 2008, 16:34
If that's as your typing, Hawkey01, then it's more than likely your computer doing something in the background.
If it's taking it's time when you click submit/post quick reply then it's probably the net on go slow again.

Kris

BA204259
5th March 2008, 16:49
Here's some goodies:-

Chatham (Mass) WCC

Amagansett (NY) WSL

Ojus (FL) WAX

Slidell (LA) WNU

Halifax (NS) CFH

Vancouver (BC) CKN

San Francisco (CA) KFS

I think I'm right in saying that all the big US ports had both RCA and Mackay radio stations. Being with IMR I was expected to work into the Mackay stations, eg WSL on the eastern seaboard and KFS or KOK (LA) on the west coast. Further south, stations like Slidell (Louisiana) WNU were United Fruit Co. (or associated with them). It's a long time ago and I stand to be corrected, but pretty sure I'm right.

Just come to mind, the old c/s for Singapore and Hong Kong were VPW and VPS respectively.

hawkey01
5th March 2008, 16:53
Hi Kris,

yep I suppose that is most likely. It is running Ok this time. I must take more water with it.

Neville - Hawkey01

R58484956
5th March 2008, 16:55
LGS Svalbard
VRX Daguilar

hawkey01
5th March 2008, 16:56
Kris,

On another topic - when and why did Aviation nostalgia close? Was it lack of
members?

Neville

Moulder
5th March 2008, 17:26

Anyone remember who HNT was up the PGulf?.......

Hi Kris,

Must have been a Saudi station? I remember HZY was Rastanura - Was it Dammam? If I also remember rightly these stations were operated by ARAMCO - Arab American Oil Company.

(Thumb)

BA204259
5th March 2008, 17:31
Gibraltar ZDK

Aden ZNR

Originally Algiers was FFA then changed to 7TA.

K urgess
5th March 2008, 17:39
Kris,

On another topic - when and why did Aviation nostalgia close? Was it lack of
members?

Neville

Yes, Neville.
It disappeared last week or the week before I think it was.
Lack of support.
I was winding up to post some pictures when I got chance but it vanished before I could.
A pity because there's nowt else like it that I've found yet.

Cheers
Kris

K urgess
5th March 2008, 17:45
The trip I used HNT we went to Khora and Mina so it could have been Khora or wherever was closest, Moulder.

R651400
5th March 2008, 20:24
Originally Algiers was FFA then changed to 7TA.

If FFA was Algiers who was FGA, possibly Dakar?

EDC Beirut EQM (recollect using for Bandar Mashur) HPP Panama HLC Inchon HLP Pusan PJA Aruba SAG Gothenburg TFA Reykjavik

K urgess
5th March 2008, 21:07
Dakar was 6VA

Trevorw
6th March 2008, 00:04
We seem to be missing 'B' and 'Q'.
B was allocated to China: Nationalist or Communist, I can't remember, but they were all four letters, i.e. ships, not coast stations.
Q, I don.t think you will ever find. I suspect it was never allocated. Too close a resemblance to the Q Code. Imagine a South African coast station being given the call sign QSA!

K urgess
6th March 2008, 00:19
On my first trip the chief sparks and I had a competition about who heard the most and furthest stations on 500.
I've still got the list and there's not a single B amongst them.
Theres even a Wikipedia entry for it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_sign

Trevorw
6th March 2008, 00:25
On my first trip the chief sparks and I had a competition about who heard the most and furthest stations on 500.
I've still got the list and there's not a single B amongst them.
Theres even a Wikipedia entry for it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_sign

B was definitely Chinese, (one or the other)
If your such an authority, tell me which ships had a three character call sign!?

K urgess
6th March 2008, 00:36
I thought mainland China was X.
I've got China having XSG, XSQ, XRK, XUQ but on H/F sending weather.
I do have Taiwan with BMB sending weather on H/F.
Which leads nicely into 3 letter ship callsigns like 4YA, 4YB, 4YC, 4YD, 4YE.
All North Atlantice weather ships Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta and Echo.
Not sure if there were more but those were the only ones I QSOd with OBS.

Cheers
Kris

sparkie2182
6th March 2008, 00:40
i have had lots of things missing from b&q

BA204259
6th March 2008, 06:35
If FFA was Algiers who was FGA, possibly Dakar?

Senegal became independent from France in 1960. Prior to that time the c/s of Dakar radio would very likely have been FGA (I can't remember) and following independence would have changed to 6VA as mentioned by Marconi Sahib.

Also comes to mind the Israeli station (Haifa?) c/s 4XO.

R651400
6th March 2008, 08:19
Senegal became independent from France in 1960. Prior to that time the c/s of Dakar radio would very likely have been FGA Alsp comes to mind the Israeli station (Haifa?) c/s 4XO.
Called at Dakar during the 56 Suez closure and sure it was FGA. Was on an obs ship and other stations down the coast, two from memory CNB and CNP probably Oran and Casablanca or vice versa. Freetown and Bathurst were VP's the next I think may have been Walvis Bay ZSW and Capetown ZSC.
4XO was Haifa.
EDC I put as Beirut but could be Tripoli/Lebanon.
XSA-Z is the international prefix allocation for China as is BY.
XU Cambodia XV Vietnam XW Laos XY Burma XX Macao (Who remembers that one?)
Taiwan's allocation is BV yet their coast stations as I recall retained XS prefixes.
The only "B" I remember was the Chinese frequency standard similar to WWV and JJY.
Another Persian Gulf/Iranian station that I cannot put a QTH to is EPB. Bandar
Abbas or maybe Bandar Mashur?

Moulder
6th March 2008, 11:56
I also associate the first letter B with mainland China but just cannot recall any callsigns.

Hang on though - I do remember hearing BLX sent a few times but was nowhere near China when I heard it. [=P]

(Thumb)

King Ratt
6th March 2008, 12:06
Another Persian Gulf station that comes to mind was EPY8 which I think was Khorramshahr

Moulder
6th March 2008, 13:52
Who was EQK as this springs to mind for the Gulf area as well.

(Thumb)

King Ratt
6th March 2008, 14:55
Another PG c/s, YIR, which was Basra.

Moulder
6th March 2008, 15:56
We seem to be missing 'B' and 'Q'.
B was allocated to China: Nationalist or Communist, I can't remember, but they were all four letters, i.e. ships, not coast stations.
Q, I don.t think you will ever find. I suspect it was never allocated. Too close a resemblance to the Q Code. Imagine a South African coast station being given the call sign QSA!

Just had a recap and post 2 came up with BSN - Hankow Radio.

(Thumb)

BA204259
6th March 2008, 16:20
Hang on though - I do remember hearing BLX sent a few times but was nowhere near China when I heard it. [=P]

(Thumb)

Usually in the Silence Period?

Moulder
6th March 2008, 16:22
Usually in the Silence Period?

Yeah - thats it! Think it meant Been Listening (Jester)

(Thumb)

hawkey01
9th March 2008, 17:15
Just adding a reply to one of the other threads which jogged my memory.
9H2015 or similar - Kuching Radio - which if I remember correctly was on the air for about 5 mins at various times during the day. I did once manage to get him but think we were about to pick up the pilot at Sejingkat. Think he had even less power than my Span VII.
Hawkey01

Tai Pan
9th March 2008, 17:51
EAR. Monsanto or Gentle Jesus. wx report aleays gentle breezes.

BA204259
9th March 2008, 18:09

EAR was a Spanish station John, 'tho can't remember which one. Monsanto was Portuguese and his c/s was CTV. It was a monastery and the monks did the wx and ran the radio station. As far as I recall they just broadcast a wx report (that is they didn't offer a commercial service) and it was invariably "gentle breezes" (hence Gentle Jesus) and "light airs and zephyrs". Often when there was a Biscay gale howling round your lug'oles.

Trevorw
10th March 2008, 01:09

You're getting old John! Monsanto wasn't a Spanish coast station, it was Portugese, call sign CTV.

His claim to fame was in his weather forecasts - you never had light breezes, it was always, "Gentle zephyrs".

Incedentally John, Monsanto was run and manned by monks!

trotterdotpom
10th March 2008, 01:26
You're getting old John! Monsanto wasn't a Spanish coast station, it was Portugese, call sign CTV.

His claim to fame was in his weather forecasts - you never had light breezes, it was always, "Gentle zephyrs".

Incedentally John, Monsanto was run and manned by monks!

I recall Monsanto broadcasting "Gentle Breezes" too - I think they updated from "zephyrs". Whatever they were sending, there obviously wasn't a window in the building.

It's interesting to hear that the place was run by monks, I thought it was a Portuguese naval station. They must have spent a lot of time at mass because they were never listening to ships (apart from the time they reported me for transmitting in Silence Period!).

John T.

Ron Stringer
10th March 2008, 14:55
Gentle breezes - and don't forget the 'smooth wavelets'. Never mind that in reality you were rolling onto your beam ends, Monsanto always had a more optimistic and gentle view.

andysk
10th March 2008, 15:27
I thought Monsanto was CTB ? maybe the memory cells are deteriorating quicker than I thought ! Their other favourite phrase was "fluffy white clouds" at one time, when in the middle of a storm !

The West African coast, TUA, Abidjan, always reliable for sending the OBS messages to on MF.

Tai Pan
10th March 2008, 15:53
I give up, you are quite correct, getting old.

Empordà
11th March 2008, 19:43
EAR was La Coruña Radio (funny A2 noise) which operated together with Vigo Radio EAF. Both were closed down in 1986 and substituted by Finisterre RADIO EAF.

BA204259
11th March 2008, 20:03
EAR was La Coruña Radio (funny A2 noise)...

Thanks for the reminder.. I remember some of the Spanish coast-stations didn't have a very musical tone, more of a hiss!

K urgess
11th March 2008, 20:10
Try this (http://www.seefunker.de/homepage/seefunk.htm) for a blast from the past. (Sad)

Just click on the Kunstfunkstellen/ Coast Station button

Roger Bentley
11th March 2008, 20:50
I don't think CTV Monsanto radio had anything to do with a monastery if they did they must have been awful busy as they worked every frequency from the usual MF up to 22 Mhz. According to the list accounts were settled by Minstry of Marine, sounds more like a commercial or naval outfit rather than the Franscicans etc. Although they did persist in the old zephyr breezes in their Wx bulletins.

BA204259
11th March 2008, 20:56
Try this (http://www.seefunker.de/homepage/seefunk.htm) for a blast from the past. (Sad)

Just click on the Kunstfunkstellen/ Coast Station button

Often have a shufti round Seefunker, including just now EAF and EAS, they sounded more musical than the ones I remember from the early sixties.

BA204259
11th March 2008, 21:06
I don't think CTV Monsanto radio had anything to do with a monastery if they did they must have been awful busy as they worked every frequency from the usual MF up to 22 Mhz. According to the list accounts were settled by Minstry of Marine, sounds more like a commercial or naval outfit rather than the Franscicans etc. Although they did persist in the old zephyr breezes in their Wx bulletins.

Couldn't argue with you Roger if you've seen where the accounts were done. I know when I was at sea the perceived wisdom was that CTV was a monastery. All I remember is taking their weather forecast on M/W and I certainly don't remember them on H/F or as a commercial station. As far as I'm aware the only commercial H/F marine radio station in Portugal was Lisbon/CUL. But that was a long time ago and the grey cells tend to disappear at a rapid rate now, so who knows? Truth or just merely legend? I know which I prefer to think. (Thumb)

Trevorw
12th March 2008, 01:19
Talking of funny warbling notes - does anyone remember IAR (Roma) sounded like he'd got laryngitis!
Malin Head/EJM had a teriffic sound.
For me though, the best one of all, both in terms of sound quality and good morse, was PCH, Scheveningen

Cunarder
12th March 2008, 01:27
Agreed Trevor - and usually the first Euro station to appear on 500 homeward bound around the Cape or from any other direction....

Moulder
12th March 2008, 10:47
The best sound of all was the commanding tone of GLD when you first heard him homeward bound.

(Thumb)

Tai Pan
12th March 2008, 13:02
SUQ. Suez canal station sounded like a camel breaking wind.

Roger Bentley
12th March 2008, 17:16
Couldn't argue with you Roger if you've seen where the accounts were done. I know when I was at sea the perceived wisdom was that CTV was a monastery. All I remember is taking their weather forecast on M/W and I certainly don't remember them on H/F or as a commercial station. As far as I'm aware the only commercial H/F marine radio station in Portugal was Lisbon/CUL. But that was a long time ago and the grey cells tend to disappear at a rapid rate now, so who knows? Truth or just merely legend? I know which I prefer to think. (Thumb)

Thanks for the comment - I had another look at the 1955 list of coast and ship stations just to recap and the listed stations for Portugal at that time were Boa Nova CTI, Cascais Radio CTC, with CTAA listed as the call sign for all Portugese warships, Faro radio CTT, Monsanto CTV numerous listed with figure suffixes, Sagres radio CTS, and Pilotos Cascais radio CTS, the only station not using T as the second letter was good old CUL, and I now note that the settlement for the CT calls was as stated the Ministry of Marine, therefore I now think these were all Naval stations. As CUL charges were settled by CPRM Companhia POrtugese Radio Marconi. so you are quite correct there was only one commercial station. I learn something new everyday! Best regards, Roger(Thumb)

R651400
13th March 2008, 08:08
Talking of funny warbling notes - does anyone remember IAR (Roma) sounded like he'd got laryngitis!
Malin Head/EJM had a teriffic sound.
For me though, the best one of all, both in terms of sound quality and good morse, was PCH, Scheveningen
PCH had a slight note delay on initial key down which made it stand out.
Being controlled by the GPO, British coast stations should all have sounded the same but the exception was GCC which sounded more raspy than the norm.
For me the worst was Alexandria/SUH who warbled all over the MF band.

R651400
13th March 2008, 18:48
Nobody picked me up on IAB Genoa, in fact it was ICB.
One of the Aussies I missed was VIR Rockhampton.
Melbourne pilot boat Wyuna VKVS....

K urgess
13th March 2008, 19:38
GLD sounded a bit different.
Something to do with the transmitter offset on 500, I believe.

mikeg
13th March 2008, 20:26
Kris,

I like your new radio room clock avatar, are you hopeing time will go backwards?

Mike

R651400
13th March 2008, 20:48
GLD sounded a bit different.
Something to do with the transmitter offset on 500, I believe.

Very unlikely Fubar, before the days of frequency synthesis, every coast station had a BC221 frequency meter and all freqs were checked on a regular basis by the RO appointed as station technician.
If there was any difference in note at GLD it would be down to the modulation frequency not carrier, that was different from the others. I never reached the exalted position of station tech so can't be certain if the mod freq was adjustable or not.
Warbling or drift as bad as Alexandria/SUH and others on MF was probably poor regulation in the transmitter psu.

K urgess
13th March 2008, 21:46
Can't find the reference to GLD that I had before. It may be on the "QRT 500" DVD about the close down.
I thought it might be on here (http://www.coastalradio.org.uk/index.htm) which has some interesting info. It may have just been that their tone was as low as was allowed.

That's right, Mike.
We spend all our time looking back in time so I thought turning the clock back would be a good idea. [=P]
Now I have to find an appropriate "pig Latin" saying.

Cheers
Kris

K urgess
13th March 2008, 22:00
Yes the reference was on the DVD "QRT 500".
GLD's note was produced because they actually transmitted on 498kc/s.
The crystal controlled transmitters were specially designed to transmit on 500kc/s plus or minus 2kc/s.
This was done so that all the British coast stations on 500 could be distinguished from each other in the UK's high traffic area.
The first transmitters were 1Kw W5 replaced later by the W50 2kW units. GLD had a booster amplifier to give 5Kw.

Salaams
Kris

trotterdotpom
14th March 2008, 01:21
Now I have to find an appropriate "pig Latin" saying.

Cheers
Kris

Not Pig Latin but how about..."Tempus fugit, non autem memoria" (Time flies but not memory).

John T.

Moulder
16th March 2008, 01:42
Anyone remember the c/s of St.Helena Radio (Jamestown)? - believe it was operated by C&W and remember sending them my OBS.

Steve.
(Thumb)

Moulder
17th March 2008, 14:05
Re. my last - I'm gonna go from memory and suggest - ZDH - can anyone confirm?

Steve.
(Thumb)

Orbitaman
17th March 2008, 15:56
Quiet day in the office, so here goes for the alphabet and numerical callsigns:-

A9M - Bahrain
BPM - Shaanxi
C6N - Nassau
DYH - Cebu
EAF - Finisterre
FJP - Noumea
GNI - Niton
HKC - Buenaventura
IAR - Rome
J2A - Djibouti
KUP - Majuro
LZL - Bourgas
M - Not currently assigned for commercial stations
NCF - Miami
OST - Oostende
PPS - Santos
Q - Not currently assigned for commercial stations
RBN - Tashkent
S3D - Chittagong
TYA - Cotonou
UAT - Moscow
VCS - Halifax
WLO - Mobile
XYR - Yangon
YIR - Basrah
ZKR - Rarotonga
1 - Not currently assigned for commercial stations
2 - Not currently assigned for commercial stations
3DP - Suva
4PB - Colombo
5BA - Cyprus
6VE - Dakar
7TA - Algiers
8RB - Demerara
9PA - Banana

K urgess
17th March 2008, 17:33
Don't recognise NCF. Must be new. NMA was Miami coastguard or WAX commercial when I was out there.
Dakar was 6VA by the way.

Orbitaman
17th March 2008, 17:41
Don't recognise NCF. Must be new. NMA was Miami coastguard or WAX commercial when I was out there.
Dakar was 6VA by the way.

You are quite right, 6VA is indeed Dakar - I can't read my own handwriting!

Moulder
17th March 2008, 17:45
Re. my last - I'm gonna go from memory and suggest - ZDH - can anyone confirm?

Steve.
(Thumb)

Have just been corrected by a mate down that way - its ZHH .

(Thumb)

hawkey01
17th March 2008, 19:55
Kubar, et all,

Regarding the GLD tx note etc. The tx that is relevant to this discussion is the W5. The later W50 were 2Kw SSB and were not off tuned.

The following is direct from an ex colleague of mine who served at GLD from 1967 until retirement. He also supplied me with the attached photos.

Quote.

When I started at GLD in 1967 we had three W5 tx's which were both WT and RT with a power output of about 750Watts. One of these also had a 5Kw, power amplifier for use on WT only ( 498, 438, 512, 522 Kcs).
The frequency of this power amp was 498 Kcs and this is what gave GLD its distinctive note. Most of the other British coast stations were transmitting on 500 Kcs but PCH was slightly high on 501 or 502 Kcs. This in theory meant QRM on 500 would be slightly less if some stations were just a bit higher or lower.
Unquote.

The photos are the Power amp and also the W5 tx. I had to play with the W5 picture to get it to upload so not quite as good as the original.

Neville - Hawkey01

K urgess
17th March 2008, 21:34
Seems that none of the people that worked at GLD can agree.
The narration on the DVD "QRT 500" was done by John Chappell who was an operator at GLD. I think he was the last operator.
I was quoting what he said. Sounds as if he's reading from a script.

Salaams
Kris

Trevorw
18th March 2008, 00:55
Quiet day in the office, so here goes for the alphabet and numerical callsigns:-

A9M - Bahrain
BPM - Shaanxi
C6N - Nassau
DYH - Cebu
EAF - Finisterre
FJP - Noumea
GNI - Niton
HKC - Buenaventura
IAR - Rome
J2A - Djibouti
KUP - Majuro
LZL - Bourgas
M - Not currently assigned for commercial stations
NCF - Miami
OST - Oostende
PPS - Santos
Q - Not currently assigned for commercial stations
RBN - Tashkent
S3D - Chittagong
TYA - Cotonou
UAT - Moscow
VCS - Halifax
WLO - Mobile
XYR - Yangon
YIR - Basrah
ZKR - Rarotonga
1 - Not currently assigned for commercial stations
2 - Not currently assigned for commercial stations
3DP - Suva
4PB - Colombo
5BA - Cyprus
6VE - Dakar
7TA - Algiers
8RB - Demerara
9PA - Banana
Don't forget 9MG - Penang: used to be VPX

R651400
18th March 2008, 08:35
Seems that none of the people that worked at GLD can agree.The narration on the DVD "QRT 500" was done by John Chappell who was an operator at GLD. I think he was the last operator.I was quoting what he said. Sounds as if he's reading from a script.

I read Hawkey01's posting that the ex GLD RO's confirm the frequency was uniquely offset to 498 kc/s. At GND, where I was, and all other UK coast stations I'm sure it was 500 kc/s.
I believe the last msg sent from GLD was by David Nancarrow.

http://coastradio.intco.biz/uk/closedown/500close-2.htm

hawkey01
18th March 2008, 12:05
Kris,

Sorry don't follow why you say they disagree. I know both these people personally and they are both fonts of wisdom with regard to GLD as both served there for many years. They both agree that GLD was operated with the W5 on 498 thus giving it the distinctive note. The reason being as stated to try and alleviate some of the QRM on 500. I am fairly certain that none of the other coast stations at that period operating W5 had power amps. As Malcolm has said they did not have this at GND and that was a high traffic station. I worked at GLD myself at several times at both the old and new sites. The original site housed the W5 but I cannot remember much about it. By the time the new station was in use the txs were W50's.

Best regards
Neville - Hawkey01

Moulder
18th March 2008, 13:09
Two not to get muddled with:-

VAI - Vancouver.

VIA - Adelaide.

(Thumb)

andysk
18th March 2008, 13:33
EAT - Tenerife
EAL - Las Palmas

Both had very distinctive notes on MF

(and slightly erratic timekeeping at times !)

R651400
18th March 2008, 13:45
TIC? Costa Rica...
Always wondered why all the Spanish stations had lousy signals yet Lisbon CUL was a cracking sig on MF.
TI/Costa Rica was foc in the '50's. One of our convoy thru Suez was a TI registered Greek-owned rustbucket with Class B spark on MF. Never heard anything like it before or since..

BA204259
18th March 2008, 14:15
Remember heading for the Caribbean coast of Guatemala, Puerto Matthias de Galvez and Puerto Barrios. Consulted "Sparkie's Bible" and it informed me that the local station on 500 was TGA. Called him on and off for a few hours with no reply. Eventually a Panamanian registered ship called me and said.."You're wasting your time... TGA has been closed for 15 years.." So much for the Admiralty being up to date. All traffic to and from the agents was passed via Slidell radio/WNU in Louisiana, United Fruit Company. I think they still ran a lot of Central America as a fiefdom in those days, even as late as the early '60's.

K urgess
18th March 2008, 16:04
Sorry Neville and R651400.
I read that as the power amp giving the 498kc/s not the amplifier. The Tx must've been on 498 since the PA can't change the frequency. So just a matter of my reading ability or lack of it. [=P]
The credits at the end of the DVD do give David Nuncarrow's name as the last operator so that was me not listening properly. (egg)
John Chappell's narration says, "The Post Office 1Kw W5 installed in the mid 1950s. Crystalled for 500kc/s plus or minus 2 to give differing notes in the high traffic area around the UK coast gave sterling service."
I interpreted that as meaning that all the UK coast stations had a slightly different note. I must admit that thinking back 40 years gives me a headache but I was sure you could tell them apart with reasonable accuracy and not just by the operator's "fist".
If you, who worked on the stations, say it was not so, apart from GLD, then I must modify my memories to account for it.
Thanks again for all the input. It's been very interesting learning how the "other half" operated.
Cheers
Kris

Moulder
18th March 2008, 17:24
.........Called him on and off for a few hours with no reply. Eventually a Panamanian registered ship called me and said.."You're wasting your time... TGA has been closed for 15 years.." So much for the Admiralty being up to date.........

..... or previous R/Os not having done the ALRS corrections ???(MAD)

(Thumb)

R651400
19th March 2008, 09:16
John Chappell's narration says, "The Post Office 1Kw W5 installed in the mid 1950s. Crystalled for 500kc/s plus or minus 2 to give differing notes in the high traffic area around the UK coast gave sterling service."

To be honest Kris, if GLD's W5 was crystal switched, then my guess all W5's would have this facility. I just don't remember it ever being mentioned or used. When I moved from GCC to GND, I did notice GCC was a bit raspier than GKZ or GPK. After GKZ things faded out and we rarely if ever heard GLD unless there was a distress.
The station consoles in my time were fitted with Marconi Electra receivers, desensitised via the key back contacts when transmitting. Some ops (including myself) used to put a bit of paper between the contacts and turn down the RF gain when keying to get a better "sidetone."

Url is some pics of my old station and if you look closely at the one with our constant neighbours, sheep or cows, towards the sea, you can just make out the ruins of Dunottar Castle which towered above the clifftops. The local farmer and owner of the livestock was a licenced amateur. Every time he passed he would sound "dah dah dit - dah dit - dah dit dit" on his old Land Rover horn!
Happy days.

http://www.coastalradio.org.uk/stonehaven.htm

ernhelenbarrett
19th March 2008, 12:13
VKT was the callsign for Nauru If I remember correctly until it changed to C2N
after independence. It was okay when it had an Australian Chief R/O but went rapidly downhill after independence. Had a couple of Coast Stations which were hard to contact when on the Tongan Registered vessel Taulotto2/A3BB and those were Nukalofiaradio/A3A and ApiaRadio...cant remember the callsign but it will come back to me
Salaams Ern Barrett

Moulder
19th March 2008, 14:15
after independence.......
Salaams Ern Barrett

Ah thanks for that Ern - was thinking of that one t'other day. Loaded there once for Shanghai. Remember having to come in gingerly to tie up to a couple of 'mooring dolphins' that were sunk in position in very deep water - we had to keep the radar on during loading to keep watch for weather squalls. If any were sighted then off we went back out to sea so as not to drag the mooring buoys out of position.

Regards,

Steve.
(Thumb)

hawkey01
19th March 2008, 17:34
Malcolm,

those photos of GND bring back a few memories. Those barge channels and the rigs etc were a real work out. Happy memories.

I still have happy memories of trying to understand my fishing colleagues on the RT especially on Hebrides Lewis etc.

Great walk around Dunottar Castle.

Nevile - Hawkey01

Trevorw
19th March 2008, 21:58
NBA The US station for the Panama canal - an absolute sod to get a QSO with, but Marconi wouldn't let us work Cristobel, HP something or other, because it was too expensive!

Ron Stringer
19th March 2008, 23:40
NBA The US station for the Panama canal - an absolute sod to get a QSO with, but Marconi wouldn't let us work Cristobel, HP something or other, because it was too expensive!

The costs of messages sent on ship's business were of no significance (or interest) whatever to Marconi's, Trevor.

Marconi's just settled the bills that came in from the coast station authorities (plus any additional land line charges for forwarded messages) and then billed the resulting total to the shipowner.

Shipowners, however, were often very sensitive to message charges and took their Masters to account if they thought they sent too many (or too wordy) messages, so much so that many Masters would send telegrams in abbreviated language that no one could understand. I often would see messages back from agents or owners asking for clarification - vastly increasing the costs over what they would have been had the original been clearly expressed.

When telex came in, things seemed to go in a completely different direction and we had Masters that thought they were writing War and Peace instead of a report on the reason for delay.

freddythefrog
20th March 2008, 01:23
With regards to question of MUSCAT radio callsign before being A4M i think it was GPJ if my memory serves me correctly.ftf

lakercapt
20th March 2008, 04:16
after independence. It was okay when it had an Australian Chief R/O but went rapidly downhill after independence. Had a couple of Coast Stations which were hard to contact when on the Tongan Registered vessel Taulotto2/A3BB and those were Nukalofiaradio/A3A and ApiaRadio...cant remember the callsign but it will come back to me
Salaams Ern Barrett

See my post #21
Our sparkie was certain that there never was any person manning that station as he would call for ages trying to get traffic away.
Very relaxed attitude on that island when I unfortunately had to spend some time in hospital there in 1965. Never did find out where the location was and I was all over the place
Bill

R651400
20th March 2008, 06:43
Those barge channels and the rigs etc were a real work out.
I still have happy memories of trying to understand my fishing colleagues on the RT especially on Hebrides Lewis etc.

You've got me on the first one Neville ???

Hebrides Lewis etc would have been the domain of Oban/GNE in the old days. Was this when GND took over remote control of all the UK coast stations?

hawkey01
20th March 2008, 13:58
Malcolm,

sometime before the introduction of the DOC system Oban was closed and they remoted the VHF stations to GND. We also had MF RT as well so it was like having another coast station within GND. There was a dedicated area - see the photos of GND. Cannot give you a year the closure happened but I was at GND during the terrible Piper Alpha disaster, which was 1988.
Neville - Hawkey01

geobro
22nd March 2008, 08:32
Did any of you work ZBH fifty years ago?

Tai Pan
22nd March 2008, 12:08
Dont recognise, give us a clue george

Degema
22nd March 2008, 12:08
Wasn't there a 2A01 up the Gulf in the 60s?

R651400
22nd March 2008, 13:27
Did any of you work ZBH fifty years ago?

"Southern Harvester" must have a few times?

geobro
22nd March 2008, 13:51
R651400

Indeed! Give the man a teddy bear!

R651400
22nd March 2008, 13:56
Thanks GB.
You gave the show away in your profile!
During your time did you ever have an incident where the R/O lost a leg, I think by a hawser on one of the factory ships?

geobro
22nd March 2008, 19:04
Yes, But before my time. I knew him as Asst Secretary at Leith Harbour Whaling Station. An ebullient character. Ken - I think his surname McLeish - was R/O & AB on one of Salvesen's catchers. He was below laying out the whale line while whale was being hauled in, when it did a runner. There was rope flying everywhere and looped around Ken's leg.

R651400
22nd March 2008, 20:13
Yes, But before my time. I knew him as Asst Secretary at Leith Harbour Whaling Station. An ebullient character. Ken - I think his surname McLeish - was R/O & AB on one of Salvesen's catchers. He was below laying out the whale line while whale was being hauled in, when it did a runner. There was rope flying everywhere and looped around Ken's leg.

Thanks for info George.
Ken Sinclair, who hailed from my village but never knew the full story. Used to drive a Renault Dauphin when they first came out. With one leg it must have been model with ferlec clutch which engaged automatically when the gear stick was moved.
Was Edinburgh Wireless College situated at Gayfield Square?

geobro
23rd March 2008, 00:19
Thanks for the memory prompt.... Sinclair, yes. I guess he has passed on then, eh?

Edinburgh W/C (oops! will let that pass) was in Torphichan Street,( Square or Place ?)- sort of halfway between West End and Haymarket

R651400
23rd March 2008, 08:20
Thanks for the memory prompt.... Sinclair, yes. I guess he has passed on then, eh?

Edinburgh W/C (oops! will let that pass) was in Torphichan Street,( Square or Place ?)- sort of halfway between West End and Haymarket

KS.... Can't say.

I think Edinburgh W/C moved to Gayfield Square down Leith Walk. It went bust in 54/55 and Leith NC took their remaining students.

Your ZBH experience should be worth an airing. What a place to take a lass from VIM!!

geobro
23rd March 2008, 22:58
Then I must have been Edin. W/C's last student when I got my 1st PMG in 1954, mebe I sent them broke!

znord737
30th March 2008, 13:45
What about XSG ? Shanghai Radio

HZY Rastanura Radio

9KM Meina Al Amhadi

Empordà
4th April 2008, 19:22
Lantana WOE
Tampa WPD
Port Arthur WPA
Galveston KLC

Limón TIM (Costa Rica)

Panamá HPA formerly NBA

Belem PPL
Olinda PPO
Rio PPR
Rio Grande PPJ

and more and more.....

IAINT
4th April 2008, 19:32
VCS - Halifax

Moulder
4th April 2008, 20:08
VAI Vancouver.

VIA Adelaide.

(Thumb)

pippin
14th May 2008, 23:34
Sorry, but Marconi Marine "ELECTRA" Rx's are HF.

You actually had "MERCURY" MF Rx's at the UK CRS!!

pippin
14th May 2008, 23:44
Here is a callsign conundrum!

GAN

MEX

Got it?

gwzm
15th May 2008, 21:36
Hi Pippin,

MEX was the callsign of the RAF station on Gan Island. He usually ran the characters together so that MEX came out as GX. They had no appreciation of 500 kc/s as a calling frequency and silence periods. I had the bizarre experience of him asking me to transmit our arrival information 500 kc/s during a silence period! They were used to military point-to-point working with the receiving and sending operators in different locations.

Happy days.

John/gwzm

Keckers
18th May 2008, 09:38
HEB ........ Berne radio was actually quite a busy station.
i used to have to exchange messages with a continental " route planner" private organisation which was supposed to advise on possible changes in course, to avoid bad weather.
as we were a bulk carrier fully loaded with german steel bound for east coast u.s.a.....making 7 kts on a good day......how we were supposed to dodge weather was a bit of a mystery.
but this contract depended on contacting HEB daily...... and was a bit of a bind....... the messages tended to be just a comprehensive treatise of the weather......(available from gka for nothing......which had to be copied also, of course)....... and they insisted on a qsl daily.
this was a condition of the cargo charterer......apparantly.
the QRY list of HEB was never too long......but was often quite respectable for a mid european, land locked "coast" station.

best regards............

I used this quite a bit - relatively cheap and usually pretty quick.